A questionable Zandalari character concept

I’ve seen a ton of headcanon in rp. Zandalari, considering their popularity, didn’t escape this terrible rp-server tradition.
    I’m interested in making a Zandalari druid character, but I would like to use my balance spec without having to cut ties to normal troll society.
    There are two clear groups of zandalari druids. Raptari, a seemingly vastly larger group that worships Gonk and Lun’alai, a tiny group who worship an unknown matron (who is obviously Elune).
    While Raptari are very much accepted and embraced by the empire, having their leader in Zanchuli Council and using their members in every battle so far, Lun’alai aren’t so welcomed. The leader of this group claims that some of their brethren call them heretics.
    The issue that I’m having is that Lun’alai are the only Zandalari in lore that are shown to use moonkin form. Seems like most people made up their minds immediately, claiming that this form can only be achieved by Elune worshippers and overplaying “heretic” theme while Lun’alai can even be seen in a priesthood gathering at Talanji’s coronation ceremony in the middle of the Golden City.
    What if a troll grows amongst Lun’alai. Learns their ways before leaving into the greater world, eventually embracing Loa worship instead of Elune. Would that take away his ability to shapeshift into moonkin? Even if he continues to uphold the path of nature and perhaps changes his perception of Elune from a deity into a concept of balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    I’ve seen a ton of headcanon in rp. Zandalari, considering their popularity, didn’t escape this terrible rp-server tradition.
    I’m interested in making a Zandalari druid character, but I would like to use my balance spec without having to cut ties to normal troll society.
    There are two clear groups of zandalari druids. Raptari, a seemingly vastly larger group that worships Gonk and Lun’alai, a tiny group who worship an unknown matron (who is obviously Elune).
    While Raptari are very much accepted and embraced by the empire, having their leader in Zanchuli Council and using their members in every battle so far, Lun’alai aren’t so welcomed. The leader of this group claims that some of their brethren call them heretics.
    The issue that I’m having is that Lun’alai are the only Zandalari in lore that are shown to use moonkin form. Seems like most people made up their minds immediately, claiming that this form can only be achieved by Elune worshippers and overplaying “heretic” theme while Lun’alai can even be seen in a priesthood gathering at Talanji’s coronation ceremony in the middle of the Golden City.
    What if a troll grows amongst Lun’alai. Learns their ways before leaving into the greater world, eventually embracing Loa worship instead of Elune. Would that take away his ability to shapeshift into moonkin? Even if he continues to uphold the path of nature and perhaps changes his perception of Elune from a deity into a concept of balance?

Maybe but to me, it's also pretty evident that a large chunk of druidic (balance) power comes from Elune, or atleast is attributed to her, through things like her talents, also the naming of balance spells like starfire, moonfire. Unless we're to go by the assumption that this is literally the fire of a star and moons(?)

Why can't your character just be a heretic in secret? Why would your character be special, when every(?) other balance(esque) druid, including creatures like Moonkins who exhibit the same flavour of spells and abilities seem to be either worshippers or followers of Elune.

Apart from this, it's also often portrayed ingame and media, that druids of this caliber/variety have a connection to Elune (or however they name her), know it's an entity and not just a 'force', it would be as if going from being a christian to forgetting what jesus, god is and calling them something else in regards to "changing his perception of Elune"
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2019-10-12 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Maybe but to me, it's also pretty evident that a large chunk of druidic (balance) power comes from Elune, or atleast is attributed to her, through things like her talents, also the naming of balance spells like starfire, moonfire. Unless we're to go by the assumption that this is literally the fire of a star and moons(?)

Why can't your character just be a heretic in secret? Why would your character be special, when every(?) other balance(esque) druid, including creatures like Moonkins who exhibit the same flavour of spells and abilities seem to be either worshippers or followers of Elune.

Apart from this, it's also often portrayed ingame and media, that druids of this caliber/variety have a connection to Elune (or however they name her), know it's an entity and not just a 'force', it would be as if going from being a christian to forgetting what jesus, god is and calling them something else in regards to "changing his perception of Elune"
    There is no question about it, the powers balance druids use are connected to Elune.
    And yes, my character can be a follower of the moon goddess in secret or in open, that’s also not something I’m struggling with.
    In fact, I’m halfway ready to accept that role, but if there’s a way to avoid it, I’d be glad to do so. Because choosing Lun’alai over Raptari, I choose one interactable NPC and a huge truck of headcanon based on things like the names of spells, over a big chunk of confirmed lore.

Also, this is a small lore description of balance spec, written by blizzard for Legion:
    “ The elements that carve form into the universe are fluid forces of nature. Some beings seek to bend the power of these natural elements to their will. Druids, however, worship the protecting spirits of nature. Long ago, nature’s equilibrium was thrown out of balance, leaving the world vulnerable to catastrophic events, including the first invasion of the Burning Legion.

By leveraging the sacred powers of the moon, the sun, and the stars, balance druids access arcane and nature magics—made more potent still through shapeshifting, when the spellcaster takes the form of the moonkin—to aid in the fight against imbalance that threatens the natural order of all things.”

There is no mention of Elune and “Sacred powers of Elune” is on the same level as sun and stars. As far as we know, sun has nothing to do with the moon goddess.
    This gives an opportunity to view balance druid as a purely nature based caster, focusing on universal powers of balance between celestial objects.
    Last edited by Kwento; 2019-10-12 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    There is no mention of Elune and “Sacred powers of Elune” is on the same level as sun and stars. As far as we know, sun has nothing to do with the moon goddess.
    This gives an opportunity to view balance druid as a purely nature based caster, focusing on universal powers of balance between celestial objects.
    All this is potentially fine, the issue rises when there's no actual precedent in the lore set before you, aka are there any other representations of a ''balance'' discipline druid NOT knowing about Elune (or her egoes) and not worshipping her?

It's like saying, there's no lore that explicitly says that there are no demon hunter murlocs, there's even a pet ingame to verify it, so i'm gonna play a demon hunter murloc. Ultimately, you should play within the confines of the setting, especially if you're roleplaying because if you aren't, and you're just making shit up you're just a snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    All this is potentially fine, the issue rises when there's no actual precedent in the lore set before you, aka are there any other representations of a ''balance'' discipline druid NOT knowing about Elune (or her egoes) and not worshipping her?

It's like saying, there's no lore that explicitly says that there are no demon hunter murlocs, there's even a pet ingame to verify it, so i'm gonna play a demon hunter murloc. Ultimately, you should play within the confines of the setting, especially if you're roleplaying because if you aren't, and you're just making shit up you're just a snowflake.
    That is true.
    I guess I’ll stick with Lun’alai until there’s more lore on it.
    Last edited by Kwento; 2019-10-12 at 10:26 PM.

It may be worth noting that becoming a worshipper of Gonk as well, would probably not be problematic, as he is a bit of a team player, allowing you to worship one other patron.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It may be worth noting that becoming a worshipper of Gonk as well, would probably not be problematic, as he is a bit of a team player, allowing you to worship one other patron.
    Is that legit? Is there a particular rivalry between him and Pa'ku? Because of all the loa, it is specifically between Gonk and someone else that we absolutely have to pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Is that legit? Is there a particular rivalry between him and Pa'ku? Because of all the loa, it is specifically between Gonk and someone else that we absolutely have to pick one.
    The priests of Pa'ku and Gonk don't like each other, due to their high priests being a divorced couple. But yes, it's canon that Gonk allows the worship of other Loa. He is also the one to that struck the bargain that allows for druids, which can draw on the essence of multiple Loa through the Emerald Dream. Something the other Loa are not that happy with. But yeah, Gonk is cool with you picking another Loa as well.

He also mentions this in the quest you are referring to. The downside of that quest is that you can pick only one Loa for that spot you create your shrine.
    "Long ago I decided to let my followers choose any loa to follow. But for a boon, well, for that I require you to be a symbol of my power to the people of Zuldazar. If you wish for my boon, return to the steps of Dazar'alor, and raise a shrine to me worthy of the gods."

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Yeah, that’s what I decided on. Taking Elune as the main loa, while also worshipping Gonk.

Bah, puny loa! Worship Jani and be trash, just like ya spec! Hek hek hek!

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.