Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    You're a bloody idiot if you actually think that. Do yourself a favor and actually go read some books on nationalism.
    That's why I find it laughable how EU elites in Brussels are trying to push for "European identity" and "European values". That's a fairy tale that doesn't exist. Europe is made up of multile cultures, not a single one.
    I did and history books guess where nationalism got ys. Franco prussia War, austro prussia War, Italian wars of 1800s, about 15 wars in the balkans, Ww1, WW2, most African wars. Need I go on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I did and history books guess where nationalism got ys. Franco prussia War, austro prussia War, Italian wars of 1800s, about 15 wars in the balkans, Ww1, WW2, most African wars. Need I go on?
    Yes do please go on, so I can poke holes into them. Explain to me how want for self-determination and suffrage leads to misery and that one-glove-fits-all dictatorship is the only good thing.

Yes do please go on, so I can poke holes into them. Explain to me how want for self-determination and suffrage leads to misery and that one-glove-fits-all dictatorship is the only good thing.
    You think it's either small democratic countries or one big world wide dictatorship? How silly.

The goal is world wide federal entity that doesn't punish people by forcing them to live in squalor because they fell out of a womb in the wrong place. So people born in third world gets not to be stuck but can move and see the world and has the same chances as we do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveon View Post
    Except that Tencent is now apologizing in China to the government about the comment from Epic. Soooo... I guess we'll see the next time there's a LoL tournament in Hong Kong, if they'll be as quick to allow free speech...
    All the LoL players rage about to come, any moment now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    A chinese general was looking over J. Allen Brack's shoulder while he wrote his statement and made some corrections here and there.
    Here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Half of these youtubers would make a video attacking blizzard for just saying hello because it gives them clicks. Especially heels vs crybabyface who tried to move away, realised he was financially fucked and decided to make money by acting like a raging ex lover.
    But is what they're saying UNTRUE? Not really.

Here.

- - - Updated - - -

But is what they're saying UNTRUE? Not really.
    If they're claiming to know what's being said isn't factual without mind reading powers then yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    They didn't apologise.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Any particular reason they should? They claim he broke their rules. You don't exactly apologize to the person you're claiming wronged you...

Unless you think they should apologize for handing down too harsh a punishment in the first place. In which case I guess they can see that. But I don't believe for a second that the same people who aren't satisfied with this would actually be satisfied with anything they did.
    That's how it is, Blizzard has already made a mistake by backing down on their own decision, so now it's going to be only worse for them. You let them taste a finger, they want to bite off the whole arm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    So... I'm no English major and okay at Chinese(Mandarin) so long as I don't read/write it. Thought the press release was just weird so I just chalked it up to weird corporate garbage. Then someone linked this.
    https://twitter.com/SGBluebell/statu...17588147052544

So... after actually re-reading it, yeah it sounds very out of place. Punted it to my parents whom is fluent in Mandarin and Hokkien, with absolutely no context and said "this is written like a Chinese wrote it". I actually laughed when I got that response.
    So let me get this straight on that tweet....

THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT...out of all entities involved...GIVES SO MUCH FUCK ABOUT BLIZZARD'S IMAGE....they had to produce a statement for them to publish to cover up....

...Let that Logic sink in a bit and how fucked it is....they did not do it with the NBA with all it's money and brand...not for Apple and what they did...but they stood up with Blizzard and made a statement for them...

How ILL minded do you have to be to actually believe this? no matter your stance on the subject....

You know anyone could easily claim it was translated from Spanish, Italian, heck even Russian and we could get the same effect....internet mob mentality that would believe anything tossed at them /facepalm
    Last edited by ShadeknightX; 2019-10-12 at 09:08 AM.
    The first, last and only warning to get from me...Mock me once I will Backstab you...Mock me twice I will Mutilate thee....Mock me thrice I will go ******* killing spree on you......Have Fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeknightX View Post
    So let me get this straight....

THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT...out of all entities involved...GIVES SO MUCH FUCK ABOUT BLIZZARD'S IMAGE....they had to produce a statement for them to publish to cover up....

...Let that Logic sink in a bit and how fucked it is....they did not do it with the NBA with all it's money and brand...not for Apple and what they did...but they stood up with Blizzard and made a statement for them...

How ILL minded do you have to be to actually believe this? no matter your stance on the subject....

You know anyone could easily claim it was translated from Spanish, Italian, heck even Russian and we could get the same effect....internet mob mentality that would believe anything tossed at them /facepalm
    Umm... you know what PR blunder is, right? It does not necessarily mean this is from the government. In fact it seems more plausible this statement came from Blizzard themselves but it was definitely not Brack that wrote it. The issue with this is that it's messaging is completely messed up especially given the circumstances.
    https://news.blizzard.com/zh-tw/hear...BA%8B%E4%BB%B6
    This is the Taiwan post. The Chinese reads perfectly well and what's expected from a Taiwanese PR department. The issue is it also seems to be a near 1:1 translation and stuck Brack's name on it, which is a bit absurd.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-gb/es...s-and-policies
    GRAND MASTER 6.1 (o)

Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damage’s Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms
    MASTER (aka Normal) 6.3 (b)

A player may not, during any Tournament, commit any act or become involved in any situation or occurrence which brings him or her into public disrepute, scandal or ridicule, or shocks or offends the community, or derogates from his or her public image or reflects unfavorably upon Blizzard, the player community, Hearthstone, or any other products, services, or sponsors of Blizzard.
    I read through both sections like 100 times now and I still fail to understand how some people here think these rules any different, honestly...?
    So I call blatant hypocrisy on Blizzard, for punishment toward Hong Kong player, but not the US players even though they basically broke the same rule.

I'm glad that people care about what's happening, but at the same time I'm skeptical that this will lead to anything. The way I see it, the only difference between Blizzard and countless of other corporations operating in China is that Blizzard was caught with their pants down - we all know what's "underneath those pants" (the implicit support of oppressive regimes, sweat shops etc).

That is not to say that you shouldn't be upset about Blizzard, and that you shouldn't do whatever you can to protest their behavior - you absolutely should. And I hope it can grow further and expand into a bigger and more encompassing movement.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Umm... you know what PR blunder is, right? It does not necessarily mean this is from the government. In fact it seems more plausible this statement came from Blizzard themselves but it was definitely not Brack that wrote it. The issue with this is that it's messaging is completely messed up especially given the circumstances.
    https://news.blizzard.com/zh-tw/hear...BA%8B%E4%BB%B6
    This is the Taiwan post. The Chinese reads perfectly well and what's expected from a Taiwanese PR department. The issue is it also seems to be a near 1:1 translation and stuck Brack's name on it, which is a bit absurd.
    Yes I know what a PR blunder is...the whole thing started with one.

Brack would have never ever written this himself just to be clear, I don't know what people think of a position such as his, but no CEO gets to post a thing in his name directly without going through a PR and legal clearance, more so than any other employer, and double that in their current situation.

As for the translation part, speaking as someone who worked in that field with Arabic language specifically which has its own issues between literal translation and figurative/meaning one, any speculation about the oddity of the 1:1 doesn't mean a thing really, you are reading to much into it....from experience sometimes a client articulates what they need in a way they think the other side might grasp, sometimes they ask what/how would we say it in that language and then revert it back to English and work out the kinks in it.
    The first, last and only warning to get from me...Mock me once I will Backstab you...Mock me twice I will Mutilate thee....Mock me thrice I will go ******* killing spree on you......Have Fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeknightX View Post
    Yes I know what a PR blunder is...the whole thing started with one.

Brack would have never ever written this himself just to be clear, I don't know what people think of a position such as his, but no CEO gets to post a thing in his name directly without going through a PR and legal clearance, more so than any other employer, and double that in their current situation.

As for the translation part, speaking as someone who worked in that field with Arabic language specifically which has its own issues between literal translation and figurative/meaning one, any speculation about the oddity of the 1:1 doesn't mean a thing really, you are reading to much into it....from experience sometimes a client articulates what they need in a way they think the other side might grasp, sometimes they ask what/how would we say it in that language and then revert it back to English and work out the kinks in it.
    I say it's a 1:1 translation mainly cause I understand Chinese... It's why it comes off very odd. The last thing they needed when addressing the English speaking audience is to have a jumbled mess like this.

Here's one way Blizzard could shut down the "Re-imagine Mei as a Resistance symbol" meme:

So what do you think? Too believable?

It's obviously not real, but the concept of a video game company re-framing an angry player base as "just a bunch of bigots" is not unprecedented.

7+ Year Old Account
    this is going to be the best blizzcon ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope "Free Hong Kong" is not considered "anti-chinese rhetoric"

lol who am i kidding

Edit: Nvm, doesnt seem to be legit.
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2019-10-12 at 11:32 AM.