Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I wonder how many accounts on the US forums have received 1k year bans for insulting the US. Fairly sure that number is up to 0 by now.
    Is the 1k year ban even legit. Because that image i saw about it seemed like one of the worst photoshops I have seen in years. They couldn't even get the words in the actual box level of bad.

Big ol' load of BS.

and build diverse and inclusive communities.
    cant build diverse and inclusive communities if you don't allow diversative and inclusive comments. the fact that you side with china point of view make me think you are OK with them violating human rights right now.

We interview competitors who are at the top of their craft to share how they feel. We want to experience that moment with them.
    I come from a country where we are suffering something similar (Venezuela), if I win a tournament believe me that feeling wont go away because I just won the tournament, that feeling will remain with me at all times. him sharing his concerns means that he is sharing how he really feel, that bring me closer to him even when the comment is a political comment. why is so hard to see this blizzard. he should be allow to express himself.

1.Sounds fair to me, dude used a wrong platform for his political speech. It's like giving a wedding toast but instead of a toast you talk about politics lol.

2. On the other hand, i doubt he would have been met with such sanctions if he talked about global warming, which again, would be far away from the gaming topic that the event was about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    ^ this (like it or not is the truth) the real question is had he came out in support of China and against HK would people be complaining had he got the same punishment?
    Oh i see. But this player used blizzard server. These servers are hopefully not in china, which would allow chinese player to speak freely. How can blizzard act like this? Are they against democracy??

- - - Updated - - -

They produce games filled with stereotypes and war. No wonder they punish free speech..? Is that the message a player should get? Lets hope valve will never do something like this

Stock tanks, CEO cares. Sounds about right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if its an tournemamt. We live in a real world with real problems. If blizzard is ok with ignorance, i am not. Its blizzard that should get banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Its disgusting to see and in saurfang words. You dishonor the horde.

- - - Updated - - -

Worse than sylvanas...

Why did they remove the Mei statue from the stores if China has nothing to do with their decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    1.Sounds fair to me, dude used a wrong platform for his political speech. It's like giving a wedding toast but instead of a toast you talk about politics lol.

2. On the other hand, i doubt he would have been met with such sanctions if he talked about global warming, which again, would be far away from the gaming topic that the event was about.
    People aren't upset that he was reprimanded, just the heavy-handed knee-jerk protect China nonsense.

If they'd have issued an official warning, made it explicitly clear that they prefer all statements using their platform be relevant to gaming alone and been clear they would reprimand people with harsher punishments in future having given an official warning, this wouldn't be happening. People would have begrudgingly accepted that I think.

But instead they strip a winner of their entire winnings, ban them for a year which is a potential career ender and ban the casters from ever casting a Blizzard event again. The willingness to please master-China is why people were pissed. The lack of an apology for their overreaction here is galling tbh, just an "I'm sorry you feel that way". Real spit in the eye tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Would he get the same punishment?
    per their policy and statement yes
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by this is caranthir View Post
    Why did they remove the Mei statue from the stores if China has nothing to do with their decision?
    Haven't heard about this. wow.

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    No wonder they punish free speech..?
    People seem to have this weird thought on what freedom of speech actually is

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    That's the first amendment, the freedom of speech amendment, you see something there? "Congress shall make no law...", it does not say "Private companies shall not restrict..."

You do not have Freedom of Speech in private companies. Like these forums, they can ban you for saying anything.

Even if its an tournemamt. We live in a real world with real problems. If blizzard is ok with ignorance, i am not. Its blizzard that should get banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Its disgusting to see and in saurfang words. You dishonor the horde.

- - - Updated - - -

Worse than sylvanas...
    Blizzard is being far from ignorant. He broke their rules, he got punished. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Can you source that for future references? Apparently google is in bed with china as well since the only thing that comes up when I search for that quote is your post in this specific thread.
    Does this link help?
    https://www.thegamer.com/blizzard-of...dignity-china/

Quote Originally Posted by this is caranthir View Post
    Because they ran out? If they were worried about Mei why would basically all of her other Mei stuff be on the store?

The question is how blizzard defines "divisive social or political views". Blizz itself has made several subtle or not-so-subtle political statements in the past. At Blizzcon, they commented on GamerGate, they jabbed at Trump (without saying his name) and they used the Pride flag during Pride Month. I personally agreed with their statements, though some of these statements could be seen as "divisive social or political views" in the US or elsewhere. Especially stuff like LGBT rights are a matter of life and death in some countries in the world, so I'm pretty sure this should - sadly - count as "divisive".

So where would or should Blizzard draw the line? I'm inclined to say that human rights should never count as "divisive".

Also, would Blizz have taken action against, say, a russian player wearing a Rainbow Flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Terongor View Post
    So every political message is fine in official blizzard stream. So people can wear KKK hood during a match then he shouldn't be punished.
    Let me break this down for you, because I feel like reading comprehension is not a strong suit for the people defending blizzard here.
    The rule states:

"Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image . . ."

" . . .any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public . . ."

" . . . in Blizzard’s sole discretion, . . ."

" . . . sole discretion . . ."

Sole Discretion means the following: (a) in the applicable Person’s sole and absolute discretion, (b) with or without cause, (c) subject to such conditions as it may deem appropriate, and (d) to the fullest extent permitted by law, without taking into account the interests of, and without incurring liability to, the Partnership, any Partner, any member of the Management Committee or any officer or employee of the Partnership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    People seem to have this weird thought on what freedom of speech actually is

That's the first amendment, the freedom of speech amendment, you see something there? "Congress shall make no law...", it does not say "Private companies shall not restrict..."

You do not have Freedom of Speech in private companies. Like these forums, they can ban you for saying anything.
    you realize this is a game company??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Blizzard is being far from ignorant. He broke their rules, he got punished. End of.
    another ignorant one. well if this is not concerning you, you just dont care.

then please dont reply or quote me. ty

you realize this is a game company??
    And that changes things how? You still don't have any right to free speech in a private game company.

Blizzard is completely right to punish this guy for doing what he did. You don't use an esports event and gaming in general to promote political or social agendas.

Games should never be tainted by personal political views and political agendas in general. I'm very happy that Blizzard did the only responsible thing there was to do. Look at all the other forms of entertainment, especially the ones in the US; actors have become political philosophers, movies have become social brownie points scorefests, shows, actors and events are being cancelled left and right and more. Gaming is severely impacted by these issues too (ie Battlefield V and EA's striking mocking of players), but Blizzard did the right thing here.