Page 1 of 3
LastLast

End of Windows 7 support when?

Windows 7 extended support ends Jan. 14, 2020. SE is already planning to end 7 support of FFXIV that day.

Wonder when WoW will end 7 support? They don't seem to wait too long. Wonder how many people THAT will piss off.

When did they stop supporting Windows XP?

About four, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    When did they stop supporting Windows XP?
    October 2017 according to this:
    https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17615111416

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Windows 7 extended support ends Jan. 14, 2020. SE is already planning to end 7 support of FFXIV that day.

Wonder when WoW will end 7 support? They don't seem to wait too long. Wonder how many people THAT will piss off.
    Blizzard will lose me as customer at exactly that day.

I don't see a reason to end it's support by games. Yeah, it's reasonable, when old OS has some limits, that slow down game's improvement. Yeah, it would be reasonable, if Windows itself would improve with time. But it's development is frozen and therefore 7 isn't that obsoleted. Security risks are my business. They aren't so important anyway. I'm not enterprise and I don't host some servers, that can be attacked by hackers, so any security breach would be important for me. I live behind NAT, don't install any untrusted software. This is all about forcing Win10 on me, that I don't personally like and would rather switch to Linux, than to it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

They probably don't want to wait too long after the official support goes away.
    And yes, some will get pissed off by that, but then again, people are pissed off about Vulperas and other silly shit, so not much Blizzard can do about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I don't see a reason to end it's support by games.
    The OS won't be getting security patches and gfx drivers won't be supported - supporting EOL'ed platform is kinda stupid.

I don't see a reason to end it's support by games. Yeah, it's reasonable, when old OS has some limits, that slow down game's improvement. Yeah, it would be reasonable, if Windows itself would improve with time. But it's development is frozen and therefore 7 isn't that obsoleted. Security risks are my business. They aren't so important anyway. I'm not enterprise and I don't host some servers, that can be attacked by hackers, so any security breach would be important for me. I live behind NAT, don't install any untrusted software. This is all about forcing Win10 on me, that I don't personally like and would rather switch to Linux, than to it.
    When official support ends they stop patching security flaws which leaves more security holes which means more tickets for them to deal with as more accts. get hacked, it's a reasonable move.

Move to linux if 10 bothers you so much.

If I had to guess it will be shortly after the next windows platform is released. So they will still trinket updates around for 10 after that and then focus on the new one while Windows 7 gets phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    If I had to guess it will be shortly after the next windows platform is released. So they will still trinket updates around for 10 after that and then focus on the new one while Windows 7 gets phased out.
    Supposedly there will be new "new" versions of windows just further upgrades of 10.

We shall see but it is not something to wait on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Supposedly there will be new "new" versions of windows just further upgrades of 10.

We shall see but it is not something to wait on.
    Googling is hard, yo.

Windows 10 is doing the thing that OSX is doing. No more major version numbers (at least for the time being) and just major patches. So it'll be Windows 10 v1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.6, 3.7, etc. The same core, just patches and upgrades to it.
    @WowIsDead64 - with a forum name like that, who really gives a shit? You're playing on an antiquated OS. That isn't Blizzard's fault, and they will probably be HAPPY to see you go. Instead of whinging on the forums that the game is suddenly not working for you, because you can't be bothered to switch to a supported OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

When official support ends they stop patching security flaws which leaves more security holes which means more tickets for them to deal with as more accts. get hacked, it's a reasonable move.

Move to linux if 10 bothers you so much.
    Back in old days I sat on WinXP without any updates for several years and have never got hacked. Security patches are for enterprise only. My computer works just perfectly now and won't all of sudden stop working after 7's end of support. Blizzard just should continue doing, what they're doing now. Nothing more.

But yeah. At the end it's just game. It's not thing, that is so important, that it would affect my OS choice. And yeah. I think about switching to Linux for a long time already. Because it's Microsoft's choice to switch from "You get, what you've paid for" business model to Apple's/Google's "Corporation of evil" business model.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine Blizz is dreaming about the day when they can officially stop supporting DX11 or this hybrid DX12 they conjured for Win7 and it is likely this day will come pretty soon after Windows 7 extended support ends.

It was a good OS, but it's 10 years old... holy crap. Move on, people.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Which was several years after end of support from Microsoft.

Blizzard will keep W7 support until W7 users no longer make up a significant fraction of the playerbase.

The thing is, security risks are Blizzard's business as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    If XP was any indication, Blizzard will end Win7 support somewhere between 2025 and 2027.

That also said, it could be much sooner. The cybercrime/ransomware landscape now, and in the future, is a much bleaker place than 2009-2017. People will find out very, very fast why staying on Win7 into the 2020's is a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

My computer works just perfectly now and won't all of sudden stop working after 7's end of support.
    This sentiment is pretty much why 2020 is going to be a fantastic year for me commission-wise.

We already know that shady groups are sandbagging vulnerabilities and exploits for when Microsoft won't patch them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

They should stop when Microsoft does honestly. There's no need to use Windows 7 when 10 exists now, it's utterly pointless supporting old OS systems.

Windows 7 is the most based non-linux OS and it should be supported for eternity. Disappointing that others dont share my grand vision.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Googling is hard, yo.

Windows 10 is doing the thing that OSX is doing. No more major version numbers (at least for the time being) and just major patches. So it'll be Windows 10 v1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.6, 3.7, etc. The same core, just patches and upgrades to it.
    @WowIsDead64 - with a forum name like that, who really gives a shit? You're playing on an antiquated OS. That isn't Blizzard's fault, and they will probably be HAPPY to see you go. Instead of whinging on the forums that the game is suddenly not working for you, because you can't be bothered to switch to a supported OS.
    I knew that, that was the supposedly. The question is if they will stick with it, there's less profit in not replacing OS's

Losing 30% of customers?

Yeah, good idea.

Please think about it. If Win10 is so great, why would so many people still stick to Win7? May be there is some reason?

I will never fully migrate to Win10, I guess. I have crazy plan to have 3 OSs at the same time. Linux with encrypted FS for work. Because go to hell, telemetry. Win10 just for games. And Win7 for all other stuff.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2019-10-12 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    They should stop when Microsoft does honestly. There's no need to use Windows 7 when 10 exists now, it's utterly pointless supporting old OS systems.
    Some people actually have to continue, because their software is OS specific. Besides, Microsoft made some rather questionable design choices in W10.