Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Post Texas police officer fatally shoots woman in her home after welfare check

source

A Texas woman was shot and killed by a Fort Worth police officer who was called to the woman's home for a welfare check, authorities said.

In a statement, the department said it received a call at 2:25 a.m. reporting an open front door at a residence. Responding officers searched the perimeter of the house and saw a person standing inside near the window, according to police.

"Perceiving a threat, the officer drew his duty weapon and fired one shot, striking the person inside the residence," the department stated. In body camera video released by police, two officers search the home from the outside with flashlights before one shouts, "Put your hands up, show me your hands." One shot is then fired through a window.

Officers entered the house and located an individual and a firearm, and began performing emergency medical care.

Fox 4 Dallas-Fort Worth identified the woman as 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson. She succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. There were no other injuries.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation, according to police. He has been with the Fort Worth Police Department since April 2018.

The department released bodycam footage of the incident "to provide transparent and relevant information to the public as we are allowed within the confines of the" investigation, it stated. Any video taken inside the house could not be distributed due to state law.

The neighbor who called 911 about the open front door told Fox 4 the police officers didn't announce who they were or knock on the door before searching the outside of the house.

"When I made that non-emergency call, I didn’t say it was a burglary. I didn’t say it was people fighting. I didn’t say anything to make them have a gun. All they needed to do is ring the doorbell,” James Smith said.

“They didn’t park up front, they parked on the side. They sent SRT, which is the special response team. They didn’t have a plainclothes officer to knock on that door,” activist and pastor Kyev Tatum told Fox 4.

The incident comes less than two weeks after a white former Dallas police officer was sentenced to 10 years in prison for killing her black neighbor inside his own apartment. Amber Guyger said during her trial that mistook Botham Jean's apartment for her own, which was one floor below Jean's.

Guyger, 31, was convicted of murder for Jean's September 2018 death.
    I haven't seen the body cam footage yet but I don't see how it could justify shooting someone through a window at their own house.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Need to know more info and see the body cam footage. But from what has been revealed, sounds bad for the officer.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Fort Worth just couldn't let Dallas take all the glory

10+ Year Old Account

Police officer fatally shoots woman in her own home

A Fort Worth police officer shot and killed a woman inside her own home early Saturday morning, CBS Dallas-Fort Worth reports. Just before 2:30 a.m., police responded to a welfare call in the Hillside Morningside neighborhood, where the front door to a residence was reported open.

When officers arrived, they searched the perimeter of the house and saw a person standing inside the residence, near a window.

In a statement released Saturday afternoon, the Fort Worth Police Department said an officer perceived a threat then drew his weapon. He fired one shot, striking and killing 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson.

The officer — a white male who has been with FWPD since April 2018 — has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. His name has not been released.

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price released a statement she said was "tragic" to write. "A young woman has lost her life, leaving her family in unbelievable grief. All of Fort Worth must surround Atatiana Jefferson's family with prayers, love and support," Price said.

Price promised a "complete and thorough investigation" to be conducted by Police Chief Ed Kraus, which will then be forwarded to the Tarrant County District Attorney Law Enforcement Incident Team.

First published on October 12, 2019 / 9:21 PM

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Very sad.

A neighbor noticed the lights and door open across the street so he called non-emergency to come out and take a look. The police come out, guns drawn, see the resident of the home through the window and shoot her. Time for when they see her until they shoot her, ~3 seconds.

I've had two wellness checks at my residence, a couple at other places. Thankfully the police in my area are great. I can tell you that theres places where I've lived where I would've been hesitant to open the door for the police because of stories like this one. I don't some people understand what's its like to have the feeling in the back of your mind. That voice that says, "I don't want to deal with the police right now even though I know I've done nothing wrong because they only have to think in the wrong."

I have an acquaintance who quit his job because night he was cleaning the place and the police rolled up with their guns while he was at the dumpster. They didn't announce themselves, he thought he was being robbed - only reason why he didn't run (thankfully) was because he had nowhere to run.
    Theres a systematic wrong going o when you can't feel safe while doing nothing wrong.

They neighbor who made the call is going to be messed up for a while and I hope people reach out to him because he did nothing wrong. I hope this case is throughly investigated and the appropiate actions are taken. I hope her family finds peace.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-...ay-2019-10-12/
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-10-13 at 10:50 PM. Reason: This has been merged with the other thread.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The cops really can't help themselves. They love killing black people too much.

why do we need 2 threads for this
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Need to know more info and see the body cam footage. But from what has been revealed, sounds bad for the officer.
    agreed. this one doesn't look good for the officer. It's too bad the lady didn't make it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

There had to be some form of miscommunication right? If the neighbor said there wasn't am issue and just go check on her then why would the cops be so high strung? There has to be something else to this right? Why would they just shoot someone they see in a home in the dark without confirming who it is? It could have been her grandson staying over or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    There had to be some form of miscommunication right? If the neighbor said there wasn't am issue and just go check on her then why would the cops be so high strung? There has to be something else to this right? Why would they just shoot someone they see in a home in the dark without confirming who it is? It could have been her grandson staying over or something.
    Cops kill a lot of people when they do welfare checks... considering that often these are sometimes people in crisis you would think they’d send a person who is able to talk someone down help with mental issue but they just too often kill.

There isn't anything here

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't ever ask the cops to do a welfare check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It's pretty hard to imagine anything that would be exonerating. If you attack someone in their own home, there's every reason for them to react as though they're being attacked in their own home and respond with force. A person sitting in their living room shouldn't be expected to determine whether an armed intruder is police or a robber, simply knowing that there's an armed intruder is sufficient to take a defensive posture.

The entire scenario is trivially avoided by a less incompetent cop.

Taxes cops have to be some of the worse in the entire world jesus christ. Even if she was a robber, i was not aware robbers have death sentence?

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas again, I’m getting to think this is what they do.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's pretty hard to imagine anything that would be exonerating. If you attack someone in their own home, there's every reason for them to react as though they're being attacked in their own home and respond with force. A person sitting in their living room shouldn't be expected to determine whether an armed intruder is police or a robber, simply knowing that there's an armed intruder is sufficient to take a defensive posture.

Oh I agree, And from the fuzzy body cam footage, he shot a split second after he said " get your hands up!!". He messed up bad.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Hopefully this cop is also trialed and goes to prison just like the recent one in the news. They need to be held more accountable for their careless actions.
    I wouldnt hold up the other case as a great example of justice. She should have gotten longer.

This guy should never see the outside world again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Even looking at the body cam footage, even if they're suggesting the victim was armed, she was inside her own house, the cops were sneaking around and had apparently not announced themselves, since they're whispering and moving quietly. In most jurisdictions in the USA (all? Maybe?) she'd have been well within her rights to arm herself if she thought someone was sneaking around casing her house, potentially looking to break in.

The cops not announcing themselves even makes me think Castle Doctrine applies, since this is Texas, meaning the victim would have been in the legal right to shoot the officers in this case, since they hadn't announced themselves and there's no reason to think she can see their uniforms, in the dark, especially with them shining a light at her as they did at the end.

Maybe they announced themselves before the body cams went on (where's that footage, then?), but going on what that video shows, looks like straight-up murder (in the Texas sense, as Guyger was convicted; what would be 2nd degree murder in most other States, not premeditated but intentional).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    I wouldnt hold up the other case as a great example of justice. She should have gotten longer.

This guy should never see the outside world again.
    In general, I think police officers betraying their ethics and standards should face maximum penalties by default. It's a greater offense than if a random citizen did the same thing, and they've got they're supposed to have the training to not do this crap.

It reminds of that video of a guy that was told to keep his hands up and to back up towards officers on his knees. They’re screaming and yelling at him, telling him they’ll shoot him... he’s freaked the the fuck out and falls forward and tries to catch himself with his hands (a normal reaction) and the cops shoot him because they think he went to “reach” for something.

That freaks me out. Under extreme fear and stress like that, I could see myself messing up, and I don’t want to pay for it with my life.
    A couple of years ago I'd have seen this concern as ridiculous. Now it strikes me as perfectly reasonable. Cops seem to treat their job like a game of CS atm and its scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

In general, I think police officers betraying their ethics and standards should face maximum penalties by default. It's a greater offense than if a random citizen did the same thing, and they've got they're supposed to have the training to not do this crap.
    I agree 100%. Its funny because in corrections that line of reasoning was applied to COs.

Yeah, I’ve had conversations with my kids about always listening/following cops instructions and to always keep your hands where they can see them, and not to reach for your purse to show them your ID unless they ask. I’ve also told them to tell the cops your movements and why: “I’m getting my wallet out of my purse like you asked” etc. Be clear. Be calm. Be loud so they can hear you.

I’ve also said it may be best to just hand them the purse to retrieve the ID cause they may get uncomfortable seeing you digging in your purse.

It’s sad.
    Remember to tell them to always pull over in a well lit area with other people around as well. A busy shopping center is a good choice.