Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Terongor View Post
    So? still don't change that rioters are beating up people who are beating up people who disagree with them and people who are leading the riots hasn't shown that they disagree using violence against people who just disagree which makes them bad too so choosing between people who use terrorism and goverment who uses terrorism is like choosing between bad and worse. Best way is to not take part in the thing by not showing opinions.
    So you're trying to tell me that skirmishes between rioters and the Chinese military pretending to be Hong Kong police is somehow worse than the Chinese government harvesting organs, or running concentration camps for non-chinese minorities, or the thousands of protesters that were run over by tanks until the military had to literally use fire hoses to wash remains into the sewers in Tienanmen Square in 1989?

DO YOU THINK THAT'S LESS BAD? You're disgusting. The world will be a better place if you removed yourself from it.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    God forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy.
    There indeed is no place for politics in gaming. No one should be allowed to hijack a gaming event and use it spread their political views.

All the companies trying to ride this by saying they won't punish players are just blatant liars.
    At least Riot's honest.

If you want a soapbox for your politics, build it yourself. Don't hijack gaming conventions and events ffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    You mean the same companies that couldn't hold their dicks when there was money to be made from gay pride day?

This was basically every motherfucking company during that day. But sure, now we can't have political statements all of the sudden. And this has surely got absolutely nothing to do with Chinese relationships and is all just about respect and a good viewing experience.
    That meme makes no sense.

If China called the shots, those things wouldn't have been allowed neither, China ain't exactly friendly to LGBTQ. I'm willing to bet that the crowd bringing that meme to life, take issue with those topics on a personal level, which simply confirms the hypocrisy.

And have they really allowed anyone to use their platform to speak on those issues...? Wearing symbols are one thing, hijacking a broadcast to spread your political agenda is another.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-10-13 at 07:32 PM.

I'm gonna ignore your conjecture and focus on this bit here. You honestly think that some limp-neck nerds holding signs or yelling lines at an esports event is going to cause Hina to fundamentally change their governing style?

If you say yes, then I wish I shared in your naivety.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't that their entire point once upon a time?
    Its always been to get you to play so you spend money. Or so that they can sell ad time so they can make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    So you're trying to tell me that skirmishes between rioters and the Chinese military pretending to be Hong Kong police is somehow worse than the Chinese government harvesting organs, or running concentration camps for non-chinese minorities, or the thousands of protesters that were run over by tanks until the military had to literally use fire hoses to wash remains into the sewers in Tienanmen Square in 1989?

DO YOU THINK THAT'S LESS BAD? You're disgusting. The world will be a better place if you removed yourself from it.
    Rioters have attacked people who aren't police or military they have attacked people who have just yelled at the street something which disagreed with them. I'm not saying it is as bad I'm saying ofc both is bad but supporting too organization which do bad stuff is still supporting organization doing bad stuff and yeah chinese goverment is worse in this case but claiming moral high ground and supporting rioters beating up civilians who refuse to support them is far sicker than saying both are bad.

Tianemen square would be same us bring up USA concentration camps during ww2 and somehow linking them to wat trump is doing meaning

Did you read the order I wrote them in.... I clearly said chinese goverment is worse......

Also ofc you are the first one doing personal attacks.

It's a bit concerning that the 'community' doesn't seem to understand that politics (or religion for that matter) have no place in global platforms, like games in this scenario. Riot (and Blizzard to some extent) are right to try to keep such issues away from their global platforms, and they do their best to keep it that way.

The same people up in arms because it's an agenda they support, would probably lose their minds if an 'opposite' agenda did the same.

Get a grip guys. All this just makes it look like fake outrage for the same of, well, being outraged.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2019-10-13 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    obviously not, and it's not the point either.

but what it COULD do is reduce the amount of bootlicking western companies do with the chinese if the backlash is big enough

and that is at least something.
    You know what happens when you don't bootlick the Chinese Government? Who gets hurt from that?

Because it's not the Chinese government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Fact of the matter, is if any video game company has ever done anything that could be considered political and now are saying this shit it makes them hypocritical. They want to benefit of talking about politics that will get people to look at them favorably and make them more money, that's it. They're happy to talk about politics then, but not if it loses them money from their overlords.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    a company doesn't want its platform used for political grandstanding.. color me shocked. You realize if they allowed one view they kinda have to allow others, right?
    They already do that? Just not in this case because China and losing money.

"Only politics I care and champion for should be allowed in the types of media I consume!" is the vibe I'm getting from some people here.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    but not if it loses them money from their overlords.
    You realize Blizzard makes ZERO money from the Chinese Government... Right? They don't have a single product or service that the Gov't purchases.

If the CHinese Gov't bans WoW/League/Etc. the people who suffer most are the PEOPLE of China. The fans. The players. 'Catering' to the Chinese Gov't means allowing your fans to continue playing your game. So by advocating for Blizzard et al. to say 'Fuck you' to the Chinese Gov't, you're advocating to make a lot of Chinese PEOPLE unhappy and have further censorship enforced on them... Cool stance bro.
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    guy speaks up for hong kong on his own stream/blog whatever

couple thousand sees/reacts

guy speaks up for hong kong on a tournament, tens of millions are in uproar and it gets a massive effect on social media.

yeah I wonder which is more effective

this whole "I dont wanna see the real world in my video games" thing is doing nothing but perpetuates the ignorance for human suffering in the west.

and dont come back at me with the whole "nothing's gonna change anyway" BS, you have to at least try.
    Really ? And how is uproar in Western Social media going to change anything down there in China ?

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    You realize Blizzard makes ZERO money from the Chinese Government... Right? They don't have a single product or service that the Gov't purchases.

If the CHinese Gov't bans WoW/League/Etc. the people who suffer most are the PEOPLE of China. The fans. The players. 'Catering' to the Chinese Gov't means allowing your fans to continue playing your game. So by advocating for Blizzard et al. to say 'Fuck you' to the Chinese Gov't, you're advocating to make a lot of Chinese PEOPLE unhappy and have further censorship enforced on them... Cool stance bro.
    False, the Chinese Gov is the one doing that. Second, don't assume genders.

Don't make this about gender, holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    You're acting like it's possible for every John Doe to just grab a gun and go down to the local mafia HQ and stir things up. Not everyone lives in a major capitol city with real influence. I for one live in a small town where I have to commute to work in a slightly larger town, making the only way of doing my "civic duty" a political vote every four years. Not everyone has the time nor the demography to daily demonstrate outside a major campus or political square...
    Actually, no.

There are town council meetings, school board meetings and other local events. Heck, you can even submit a letter to be read into the minutes of a town meeting or have a surrogate read it. There are thousands of ways to contribute to one's civic duty, great and small.

The lie which leads to helplessness is that you have to attend a massive protest or lead some movement in order to make a difference.

Even planting one tree can begin making a difference. Often times it is little actions that are replicated a lot of times across a society that make the biggest impacts. A march is powerful because a lot of people are doing a smaller thing...together.

The key is to pick something you are passionate about and contribute what you can when you can. That's all we can do.

The problem is that most of us don't and haven't for decades and we're seeing the effects of that rot in our discourse, policies and society.

No, the advocating is coming from the people who are calling for actions that 100% result in that thing. The Chinese Gov't isn't advocating it; they're DOING it.

And I didn't assume anything. Everyone is 'bro' regardless of sex, gender, race, or species. IDGAF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    God forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy.
    The irony being that said company is owned by Tencent.

I will say it again, human rights and politics are not the same thing.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I will say it again, human rights and politics are not the same thing.
    thats because human rights are not a real thing. there are NO HUMAN RIGHTS. thats all politics, goverment, and law.

- - - Updated - - -

dont tell me what to do man

People don't get to hide from politics in the modern age, just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    thats because human rights are not a real thing. there are NO HUMAN RIGHTS. thats all politics, goverment, and law.
    Don't be a fuckface, human rights might be a construct but it is one of the most important ones.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal