Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Problem is, you're right. They have been slow releasing them. The statements they gave us and how they have been handling this so far just does not make sense. I wouldn't be surprised to not have any allied races after this for BFA considering how long we waited for Kul'Tiran and Zandalari.

Well, what story made since to even remotely include mag'har orcs? None, because there wasn't any story there. The perfect story was there for gilblin, but we don't get those.

Vulpera aren't really breaking the mold imo. There are no links on the Horde side for Nightborne. With them being Night Elves who turned into the Nightborne after they were closed off in that shell, they are more of a Night Elve sub race then anything.

So, maybe the Vulpera are unique in the sense that they are not really a sub-race to anything at all, but they don't even make sense story wise right now. If anything, they are at least showing us that any race can be used.
    Well, Vulpera are part of a Horde only faction and the Alliance has directly attacked the Vulpera so... it's not that big of an earthshaker that they joined the Horde, in this case.

While the reasoning why Nightborne join the Horde is a bad joke, they do have a lot more in common with blood elves that night elves. There's a reason they didn't join them originally (i.e., when the Legion forced them to bubble up). As for Mag'har, welp... it was an asspull. It's okay, though, but it's not shocking it came out of nowhere. Only other alternative was to forget Draenor existed and recruit outlands mag'har, which would have been okay, too.

After Vulpera & Mechagnomes were announced NOW, instead of when the 8th expansion preorder goes up, because the Allied Races made BFA Blizzard's most profitable single-day ever, I wondered what races would be included, but now it's clearly going to be the 4 most recent rep grinds:

Gilgoblins
    Ankoans
    Rajani Mogu
    Tol'vir

The Tol'vir & Rajani both have little to do with the story but both have new rep grinds in 8.3 so its safe to say they exist for that specific purpose. Tol'vir are a little weird but they have a full range of animation already & it helps the faction war because despite the sparse lore on these races, we do know the Rajani & Tol'vir hate each other. (my guess is Rajani for the Horde, Tol'vir for the alliance)

Tol'vir will never be playable for obvious reasons.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Tol'vir will never be playable for obvious reasons.
    Turning a single zone invasion point into a reputation to grind is totally unnecessary unless they're planning an allied race associated with it. But 9 to one chance their Acquisition questline will be a new offshoot of biped Tol'vir getting the curse of flesh. As they already appear to exist according to Hearthstone

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Turning a single zone invasion point into a reputation to grind is totally unnecessary unless they're planning an allied race associated with it. But 9 to one chance their Acquisition questline will be a new offshoot of biped Tol'vir getting the curse of flesh. As they already appear to exist according to Hearthstone
    Hearthstone has never been or tried to be a canon representation of the Warcraft universe, but they certainly could draw inspiration from it. (Although I wouldn't mind Gadgetzan being the hearthstone version either!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't vulpera just reskinned goblins? I thought I remember reading that they used the goblins as a foundation for vulpera. Lets not act like Kul'tiran aren't unique just because they're human. Try to create a human that looks like a Kul'tiran. Hint: you can't.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

#Tuskarr2020

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Aren't vulpera just reskinned goblins? I thought I remember reading that they used the goblins as a foundation for vulpera. Lets not act like Kul'tiran aren't unique just because they're human. Try to create a human that looks like a Kul'tiran. Hint: you can't.
    He's talking about them as a race, not their base model. Vulpera has no racial connections to anything playable.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    They're not though.

Nightborne are LITERALLY Night Elves.
    Please stop here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    So far all of the Allied Races have been "subspecies" of the current races in WoW. Most of these have been minor reskins of existing races, which is fine since Allied Races were advertised more as unlockable cosmetics to add some NG+ value.

However, Vulpera seem to change that. They are an entirely new race added to the game, and the only thing they have in common with their counterpart race is that they are a small race. But Vulpera are in no way a subspecies or different tribe of goblin.

As the only completely new, unique race of BfA, this puts an imbalance between the Horde and Alliance. So, I'm thinking this implies that the last two AR reveals will include a completely new race for the Alliance side. This leads me to believe that Lightforged UD will be for the Horde (not Alliance as many were predicting), and the Worgen's counterpart race will be something completely new. Sethrak might be on the table but make little sense to me as Alliance has very limited interaction with them. Ankoan/Jinyu would probably make the most sense... but then again Gilgoblins didn't make the Horde cut.

At any rate, it seems the last AR for Alliance is still the biggest mystery of BfA.
    1) The trend is that the ARs add RESKINS (not minor, not supposedly, but precisely reskins. They were designed to be reskins for this entire project to work - being able to add one for each race. If each was its own model, it would be possible within one expansion.)
    2) Which in turn has not been broken at all, because Vulpera TOO share the exact same model rig as Goblins, just as designed.
    3) Which is actually wrong too, because the Zandalari Trolls and the Kul Tiran Human ARs are their own unique models (KTs might share it with Ogres but Ogres are not playable and there has not been an Ogre playable model to make use of)
    4) In either case, "Vulpera breaking the trend" statement is wrong beyond wrongess

You are welcome, this time I did the fact checking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    He's talking about them as a race, not their base model. Vulpera has no racial connections to anything playable.
    This point seems to have been forgotten in the thread. The OP seemed to be addressing the lore behind the choice, not the simple game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    1) The trend is that the ARs add RESKINS (not minor, not supposedly, but precisely reskins. They were designed to be reskins for this entire project to work - being able to add one for each race. If each was its own model, it would be possible within one expansion.)
    2) Which in turn has not been broken at all, because Vulpera TOO share the exact same model rig as Goblins, just as designed.
    3) Which is actually wrong too, because the Zandalari Trolls and the Kul Tiran Human ARs are their own unique models (KTs might share it with Ogres but Ogres are not playable and there has not been an Ogre playable model to make use of)
    4) In either case, "Vulpera breaking the trend" statement is wrong beyond wrongess

You are welcome, this time I did the fact checking for you.
    You're really not reading this thread correctly.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Lmfao.

Nightborne are Kaldorei "transformed" by the Nightwell when Suramar cut itself off from the world. They're Nightelves.
    Dude .. we have been over this in 100 threads.. no one cares.

As mutch as I love the vulpera
    KT human > vulpera.

They are human, but besides having he same amount of limbs and a human face; they are totally unique. So the Alliance really got more lucky if you ask me, with new animations and all

So far all of the Allied Races have been "subspecies" of the current races in WoW. Most of these have been minor reskins of existing races, which is fine since Allied Races were advertised more as unlockable cosmetics to add some NG+ value.

However, Vulpera seem to change that. They are an entirely new race added to the game, and the only thing they have in common with their counterpart race is that they are a small race. But Vulpera are in no way a subspecies or different tribe of goblin.

As the only completely new, unique race of BfA, this puts an imbalance between the Horde and Alliance. So, I'm thinking this implies that the last two AR reveals will include a completely new race for the Alliance side. This leads me to believe that Lightforged UD will be for the Horde (not Alliance as many were predicting), and the Worgen's counterpart race will be something completely new. Sethrak might be on the table but make little sense to me as Alliance has very limited interaction with them. Ankoan/Jinyu would probably make the most sense... but then again Gilgoblins didn't make the Horde cut.

At any rate, it seems the last AR for Alliance is still the biggest mystery of BfA.
    If you have seen some of the Q&A’s from earlier this year, Ion described how much work it put on the Art team to create Kul Tirans. It was much more time consuming than any of the other allied races. Sure Kul Tirans are humans but they are definitely not reskins of the original human models. The Kul Tiran models are brand new and unique. So in terms of the time investment, there will not be an imbalance between the factions.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-10-14 at 05:59 AM.

Gotta love how the OP starts by using completely different measurements for the pro and con of breaking the trend.
    con - if a race is just a reuse of previous race model, with a different skin and some additions to the model it's part of the trend
    pro - Vulpera are lore-wise a completely different beast than anything we had prior hence they break the trend

Yes, lore-wise they are something new; we didn't have furries up till now that is true. But lore-wise they are also insignificant, as they are few and have no military might.
    From the point of view of effort put into them; they are literally just goblins with fox heads attached to them; which makes them no more special than mechagnomes... who are literally just gnomes with arificial legs/hands. In the end they are nothing more than the re-use of assets made with the initial expansion (much like the elven drunks in legion)

Then it goes on to display a faction imbalance due to how many "new shiny races" each faction gets.
    Even if we agree with you on the imbalance being there, there are way more important things to balance than the number of "unique" models each faction gets... especially considering how most players on each faction play one of the older races anyway (and not due to asthetical reasons).

And it ends with a guess on how the faction with less is gonna get something new and shiny next.
    Guesses based on a lineup of about 5 events can always go one way or another... i wouldn't read too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    From the point of view of effort put into them; they are literally just goblins with fox heads attached to them; which makes them no more special than mechagnomes... who are literally just gnomes with arificial legs/hands.
    The amount of people that don't get that this thread is not about the skeletons is actually a little surprising. Re-read the OP again and again until you "get" it.

Also /facepalm for the above quoted bit. Saying an entirely new race is the same as gnomes with mechanical limbs. Some people's kids...

7+ Year Old Account
    Ion always made clear that allied races could be anything they want and if make sense to be added, not just reskins and this will be the feature they will use from now on to add new races

probably what i think is the 8.3.5 allied races or the pre-patch races will be light undead and something like dragonmen/sethrak/botani for the alliance a new race anyway, BUT, there is no reputation in this expansion so they can be grinnded, and i don't think the 8.3 reps will make much sense to get hose, only if you put a dumb rep like champions of azeroth.

The mogu dangerously look like an neutral race, and i hope they are not doing that.

So prob the 9.0 reps will prob be light undead +something for alliance, and i hope ogres and vrykuls in the future.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2019-10-14 at 06:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    ... Not that anyone seems to be chomping at the bit for playable K'thir...
    Just give them a pirate outfit...

The amount of people that don't get that this thread is not about the skeletons is actually a little surprising. Re-read the OP again and again until you "get" it.

Also /facepalm for the above quoted bit. Saying an entirely new race is the same as gnomes with mechanical limbs. Some people's kids...
    Did you read the response at all; or did you just jump on the 1st sentence that grinded your gears? Kids indeed.
    What i am on about is that you deliberately, or by mistake, used terms which indicate you are talking about 2 separate things (both aspects of what makes a race "unique") and using them as arguments. You literally caused the whole misunderstanding yourself and are now pinning it on your readers comprehension.

If you played any BFA you would have noticed how these furries are not a new race at all. Also what i'm refering to there is in fact the technical point of view, not the lore. A misunderstanding you created in the 1st place; as noted above.