Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The Opiod epidemic is way over blown and honestly I think this nonsense is more harmful than oiods
    https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-th...mic/index.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't think children should be introduced to as many adult problems as they are at present. It erodes their innocence.
    Too bad real life is already doing that.

I don't think children should be introduced to as many adult problems as they are at present. It erodes their innocence. The cynical part of me wonders how much of it is done for the sake of rating and virtue signalling - much in the same way as how various soap operas tackle 'shocking' subjects. Though in their case, they're at least aimed at an older audience.
    "Innocence of the children" is not a good reasoning why this shouldnt be a thing. Sesame street is a public tv show that is generally aimed at kids that live in familys that aren't very well off. It has always tackled topics like this because the target audience has to deal with this kind of stuff in reality, and those kids have had their innocence stripped away from them already and need help with things like this. What is sad is that the opioid problem is so bad that sesame street needs to try to address this issue for kids that are watching.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think children should be introduced to as many adult problems as they are at present. It erodes their innocence. The cynical part of me wonders how much of it is done for the sake of rating and virtue signalling - much in the same way as how various soap operas tackle 'shocking' subjects. Though in their case, they're at least aimed at an older audience.
    Many of them already have their innocence eroded at home by this shit. Having a popular kids show address this can help.
    Putin khuliyo

Now even politics cannot keep its ugly head out of kid's shows!

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    What the hell does a parent dealing with an addiction have to do with politics?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The other sad side of the opioid epidemic, is because of the abuse people who actually need pain killers are not getting them because doctors are in fear or getting thrown in jail. My buddy just had surgery and hey gave him fucking advil for pain relief.
    Advil is actually good for pain though... and Tylenol... quite a few studies have shown that for just pain, traditional pain killers are more effective than opioids for quite a few things.

https://www.mndental.org/files/NSAID...f-Evidence.pdf

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/ne...or-dental-pain

The Opiod epidemic is way over blown and honestly I think this nonsense is more harmful than oiods
    It's very, very important that we care about it because it's a drug epidemic that affects white people. That's not supposed to happen!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Yo bro, you might want to do some googling on Sesame Street's history before you make a laughingstock of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Good on them. It's important for real issues to see the light of day, even young members of society can benefit from their message.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's very, very important that we care about it because it's a drug epidemic that affects white people. That's not supposed to happen!
    I've noticed. Because you know the U.S has never had a drug problem before this.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I agree but the issue is children have parents who are drug addicted and that makes it the children's problem as well. In a perfect world a child would have two working parents who love each other, earn a good income and can provide a good life so that a child can just be a child but we do not live in a perfect world.

Children have to deal with adult issues because they happen every day.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I feel like this is something that didn't need to be a thing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ction-n1064436
    the last "controversial" SS character did not end the world or hurt kids.....why care now?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I do miss the innocense of the old kids shows..
    Sesame Street is the "old kids shows" and has been doing this stuff forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    It's in line with what they have done before and I'm fine with it.

Letting kids feel like they aren't alone and giving them reassurance is a good thing. Most kids shows do this. I think it's unfair to imply certain kids don't deserve that benefit, because their problems make some adults uncomfortable.
    One of the most famous instances of tackling a tough topic was the real li fe death of Mr. Hooper. Instead of writing him off as either having moved away, they took it head on by having the adults talk to Big Bird about it and it explain what it meant. It was praised as an all time great educational moment in TV history. They have always handled these things with the utmost care and thought put into it before it airs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    "Innocence of the children" is not a good reasoning why this shouldnt be a thing. Sesame street is a public tv show that is generally aimed at kids that live in familys that aren't very well off.
    I am going to stop you right there because this is not true at all. Sesame Street is aimed at ALL kids. Period. They do not aim it at one set of kids at all.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty serous....https://www.drugwatcher.org/opioid-epidemic/

42,000 died in the US according to the latest count for a year.

But it is not just opioids. Other drug overdoses are bad and of course, so is alcohol and tobacco abuse. Those are actually a lot worse, but they bring in a ton of tax dollars.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    One of the most famous instances of tackling a tough topic was the real li fe death of Mr. Hooper. Instead of writing him off as either having moved away, they took it head on by having the adults talk to Big Bird about it and it explain what it meant. It was praised as an all time great educational moment in TV history. They have always handled these things with the utmost care and thought put into it before it airs.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to stop you right there because this is not true at all. Sesame Street is aimed at ALL kids. Period. They do not aim it at one set of kids at all.
    While it is aimed at "all" kids in general, it takes various topics and hits at them from time to time. This is just the current one they picked and it triggered all kinds of snowflakes for some odd reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    While it is aimed at "all" kids in general, it takes various topics and hits at them from time to time. This is just the current one they picked and it triggered all kinds of snowflakes for some odd reason.
    The topics they cover affect kids from ALL areas, not just the not well off. It is dishonest to claim they target one specific set of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The topics they cover affect kids from ALL areas, not just the not well off. It is dishonest to claim they target one specific set of kids.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...t#cite_note-54

Sesame Street focused on children from disadvantaged backgrounds, but the show's creators recognized that in order to achieve the kind of success they wanted, they needed to encourage all children, no matter what their background, to watch it. At the same time, however, their primary goal was to make the show appealing to inner-city families, a group that did not traditionally watch educational programs on public television.[47][48] As Lesser stated, "If the series did not work for poor children, the entire project would fail".[49] Morrow called the new show's audience "concentric", with its targeted audience, "the urban poor", within the larger circle of all preschoolers.[50]
    Here is the book it comes from, if you can get access, so you can't scream "lol wikipedia"

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/...81410605252-10

Who is Gerald Lesser? Well, just

Gerald Samuel Lesser (August 22, 1926 – September 23, 2010) was an American psychologist who served on the faculty of Harvard University from 1963 until his retirement in 1998. Lesser was one of the chief advisers to the Children's Television Workshop (CTW, later known as the Sesame Workshop) in the development and content of the educational programming included in the children's television program Sesame Street. At Harvard, he was chair of the university's Human Development Program for 20 years, which focused on cross-cultural studies of child rearing, and studied the effects of media on young children. In 1974, he wrote Children and Television: Lessons From Sesame Street, which chronicled how Sesame Street was developed and put on the air. Lesser developed many of the research methods the CTW used throughout its history and for other TV shows. In 1968, before the debut of Sesame Street, he led a series of content seminars, an important part of the "CTW Model", which incorporated educational pedagogy and research into TV scripts and was used to develop other educational programs and organizations all over the world.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_S._Lesser

You are wrong, the show was designed from the start to help those not so well off catch up to those that are well enough off when entering school. It can appeal to all kids, but it's target audience is almost entirely those that have rough lives, and is meant to help them get through the early stages and deal with various topics. So given the rise of the opioid problem, this is not different than when they covered something like the Iraq war. A lot of topics are things all kids can understand, but some topics are specifically targeted to kids that aren't too well off in life.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2019-10-14 at 01:01 PM.

On one hand this is a good thing for those children caught up in this crisis.

On the other hand you're exposing other children to this stuff at an early age.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    On one hand this is a good thing for those children caught up in this crisis.

On the other hand you're exposing other children to this stuff at an early age.
    What is going to happen if kids learn that other kids are going through some bullshit at an early age? Ruin that fabled "innocence" that only exists for kids that are wealthy enough to not be watching sesame street?