Poll: Is Blood Thicker Than Water?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blood is Thicker than water?

In terms of love and relationships, or strong bonds, are all mothers filled with the maternal instincts to love and nurture their children, are all fathers strong disciplined care takers that only want the best for their kids. Siblings like brothers and sisters are always your strongest most trusted allies. Which begs the question.

Is blood thicker than water?

I am going to say no, but like friends I think the term fam gets thrown around way too much.

What's your experience?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Well, it'll depend entirely on the family, no? In my case, yes, absolutely true.

Well blood literally is thicker than water by about 3 or 4 times thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Yes. Your family is always there with you. Unless you have ostracized them for some reason or they have done so to you.
    You're lucky to have that perspective. Have known a lot of people for whom that is not the case. Not due to any kinds of falling out, simply because they or/and their family just don't care that much.

No. You can't choose family and plenty of people are raving lunatics, including family. Plenty of examples of abusive homes. There's a reason that next of kin are always the first persons of interest in a murder case. You can be lucky and have a strong, close-knit family who's really there for you (the mob springs to mind), but most of the time friends and partners trump family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

In terms of love and relationships, or strong bonds, are all mothers filled with the maternal instincts to love and nurture their children, are all fathers strong disciplined care takers that only want the best for their kids. Siblings like brothers and sisters are always your strongest most trusted allies. Which begs the question.

I am going to say no, but like friends I think the term fam gets thrown around way too much.

What's your experience?
    Well, by the scientifical statement, yes, it is thicker.

As to family bonds, no. You cannot use the same statement on family when you have experienced as much as I.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The real quote is "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb". Which turns the statement entirely around.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would drop my family besides my brothers at drop of a hat as soon as my mother passes, we don't like them.

This is one of many Bible verses that has been misadapted for common use, because the word “convenant” doesn’t roll off the tongue in everyday use. However, the real version completely changes the meaning. The quote comes from: “The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” This actually means that blood shed in battle bonds soldiers more strongly than simple genetics. Although we commonly use it to suggest the strength of family ties, it doesn’t refer to family at all.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Family is usually the most important part of life for most people. For those that have been burned by their family, a good close friend I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    This is one of many Bible verses that has been misadapted for common use, because the word “convenant” doesn’t roll off the tongue in everyday use. However, the real version completely changes the meaning. The quote comes from: “The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” This actually means that blood shed in battle bonds soldiers more strongly than simple genetics. Although we commonly use it to suggest the strength of family ties, it doesn’t refer to family at all.
    Was going to say this and I stand by that saying more than what it has become. Family is nice but family can screw your over and sometimes you instead have a group of unrelated people that becomes your real family.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Well, it'll depend entirely on the family, no? In my case, yes, absolutely true.
    I agree with this. And in my case also, it is true. The other people in my life I would rather spend time around and trust the most, happen to be family members.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Took the words right out of my mouth. And yes given this interpretation it's true.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is a good point and true. Sort of explains the term " Brothers in arms". But I also have no issues using it how we do in the present. As for myself there is connection to a family even with the original meaning. As one can consider their comrades as a family of brothers and sisters.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I don't believe it at all.

Simply being related doesn't tie you together in a meaningful way. Experiencing life and other shit together is what bonds you, which is why siblings are usually pretty close.

I am not a fan of the idea that you somehow owe or are tied to people in any meaningful way simply because you happened to be born into the same family.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    [IMG]https://a.wattpad.com/cover/28091559-352-k543884.jpg[/]

What's your experience?
    To be it is because in a sense there is bullshit I have put up with family members that I would never have with people outside my family. I grew up in a family means everything household and even though your family isn't perfect I would do anything for them.

It literally is, right? I haven't seen non-solidified pure water be thicker than blood yet, but maybe someone can invent thin blood that's thinner than water someday.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    For the vast majority of people, blood is absolutely thicker than water. When we talk about things like tribalism, the family is the most pure and concentrated form of it.

Just because you regularly find disputes among family members doesn't mean they are not still very tribalistic. I've seen family members spew very hateful things, but they will absolutely rush to the defense of a family member almost every time in the face of someone not in the family.

You see this at larger scale with other groups. Professionals defend others of their profession even when they don't have any of the facts. Same with political groups. Heck, in the US you see this heavy defense with fanboys of some corporations (e.g. Apple or Disney or Ford or Blizz or whoever just can't do any wrong...the fanboys will always find some way to rationalize the problems). However, with the larger scale, you see diminishing loyalty...but family bonds tends to be extremely strong.

A few exceptions doesn't change the fact that more than 95% of the time, blood is indeed thicker than water.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes Technically blood is thicker then water.
    For some people that’s not the case and I honestly feel a bit sorry for them that their family is like that.
    For me there very little I wouldn’t do for a family member

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you completely dissociated yourself from your family, it will always be thicker. Unfortunately for most Americans the idea of family is this annoying thing you deal with until 18 years old where you get to leave home and never look back. Not just parents but uncles, aunts, grandmas, and etc are all forgotten.