Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Islands going forward

Islands are likely to become 1-3 players flex in 9.0. I really hope they make more single player friendly content that is also possible to do in group.

I think it would make everyone happy and take care of queue issues. If someone really wants to play in a group, they can, if they don't feel like it, they should be able to solo the same content using some kind of a flex scaling mode. Hopefully a system with some kind of a solo end game progression.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2019-10-14 at 12:41 PM.

I think there shouldn't be a way forward for island expeditions, blow them up and forget about it.
    pane, nutella e demon hunter

They can go the way of scenarios for all I care.

Sooner we forget them the better for us all

Islands have been amongst the worst additions in wow history and remain grossly unpopular.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a nice experiment, but too flawed to continue upon.

I would love to see this AI in dungeons though.. and maybe make dungeons more like scenarios where it's not just a list fo baddies we have to kill.

I actually enjoyed Island Expeditions, But think they should have been more based on Exploring rather then a race to the end collecting Azerite. Make people want to explore every inch of the Island so not to miss out on clues to treasure or whatever.
    I feel like they have been more of a success then Warfronts.

PvP islands are a lot of fun, if they'd just actually contain PvP..

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Sooner we forget them the better for us all

Islands have been amongst the worst additions in wow history and remain grossly unpopular.
    The overdramatics.

I hope they were just a testing ground for using AI in WoW. Hopefully they will ditch them and use what they've learned for something better.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Did you just claim something was fun and then immediately afterwards lament that they aren't? Yikes.

On topic - Islands would have been fine if Ion wasn't a pathological liar and actually stuck to what he claimed they would be. Which was exploring an Island. Finding hidden quests, interactions, treasures and challenging mobs. You know - the kind of exploring you do in an actual MMO?

Instead we got glorified mob grinding with a fucking time limit. A race against time to see who can click rocks, chests and mindlessly AoE down mobs. Then they made them semi-mandatory checklist content by making it the only place you could get a decent chunk of their stupid AP system.

"We know this content is really shit. So we're going to force you to do it if you want to be competitive."

Great design. 10/10.
    Honestly, they are a bit better now, but it would be interesting if there was more variety of action.

Launch they were just bad. Now, they are okay. It just is so boring you can essentially on "heroic" just run off by yourself and be fine 90% of the time if you are even passably decently gear. The other versions required pre-made groups, so I don't know how those go.

Honestly, I don't mind the Azerite grab, but they could have had like "Defend the Outpost" akin to Garrison defense in WoD or take some ideas from Scenarios of MoP which focus more on exploration.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-10-14 at 01:58 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Did you just claim something was fun and then immediately afterwards lament that they aren't? Yikes.
    Yes, sometimes you meet teams that want to PvP. Sometimes you meet teams that want to farm.
    The concept of Islands is good. I hope they keep iterating them, there's a lot of team vs. team potential (both PvP and PvE-wise)

Finding hidden quests, interactions, treasures and challenging mobs. You know - the kind of exploring you do in an actual MMO?
    I'm sure I don't have to remind you about Bartle taxonomy of player types, but there's more than just "explorers" in MMOs
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-10-14 at 02:01 PM.

I don’t mind islands if I have a few minutes to spare now and then, but they could be so much more. Rather than just being a rush to collect Azeroth it’d be lovely if it was more about exploration, finding new lore/situations/quirky things. Would also be nice if they were flexible and I could just pop into one by myself and explore it all at my own pace.
    I’m playing all the right notes...but not necessarily in the right order.

Reuse the islands for something completely different. Specifically quests that actually have structure to them. The design on some of these islands is way too good to simply throw away.

Horrible feature, and an horrible waste of time and resources.

Same goes for Warfronts.

BFA was a pretty solid expansion, but its new features were a complete pile of crap, and whoever thought they'd be nice (any one of them) made a huge mistake.

Re-use the assets developed for them on other things, hell, they could make a series of Island Dungeons based on their layouts\designs\story.

I don't mind island gameplay. Tying them to a larger number of collectables and a very low drop chance is what is killing them for me.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    they made them semi-mandatory checklist content by making it the only place you could get a decent chunk of their stupid AP system.

"We know this content is really shit. So we're going to force you to do it if you want to be competitive."

Great design. 10/10.
    Hitting the weekly cap is the only "mandatory" requirement on Island Expeditions and you can wrap that up in less than half an hour. Any grinding beyond that really is strictly optional.

The only real compelling reason for anyone to grind more than the mandatory amount is for mount collecting and I would agree that the grind required for those is indeed ridiculous.

I don't think I've done a single Island Expedition all expansion. Just the introductory version and that was it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Horrible feature, and an horrible waste of time and resources.

Same goes for Warfronts.
    I've quite enjoyed both features - done in moderation. The real problem with both Islands and Warfronts is that people overplay them.

I really liked the idea of exploring semi-procedurally generated islands, filled with powerful mobs, hidden treasure and the chance to get rare loot.

I did not like the race to click on nodes and AOE down mobs on a harsh time limit that limited my ability to explore. Also making them, 100% mandatory was a sure fire way to make people not like them at all.

Hope lessons have been learnt and the tech is used for new improved features