Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lvl priest as Disc

Hi All

I am levelling a priest as shadow .Can you let me know your experience if you have levelled a priest as Disc /Holy to lvl 60

Thanks

as long as you have wand spec and spirit tap, you cant really go wrong, even mind flay is a dps loss till higher ranks

I am 5/25/5 currently with a lot of spirit and the speed of leveling is hardly noticeable. Many people forget that Holy fire and Smite pack a decent punch and in combination with Spirit tap and Wand spec, there is very little drinking needed. At level 25 or so the wand also loses it's significance other than finishing the mob at 5-10%.

The only reason to level shadow is viability of world pvp or cosmetic/RP.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-10-14 at 05:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember guys its about the journey not the destination

Kappa
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Remember guys its about the journey not the destination

Kappa
    Considering how strong the classic community is, im sure everyone knows this. I doubt anyone is rushing to 60.

Leveled as holy/disc both on private server and now in classic.
    Skipping spirit tap since I spend so much time healing instances anyway.

When questing the usual procedure is to pull mob with mind blast and/or holy fire, put up renew(and shield some times) and wand them down, ending up with full HP and mana again when the mob dies so just repeat.
    Inner fire is key. the extra armor that buff gives makes you as tanky as a mail/plate user.
    Also important to notice that if you keep shield up, inner fire still reduced the damage mobs do to you every hit but without using up charges since they hit the shield.

currently 31/10 as disc spec
    i had spirit tap, but got rid of it as i began to become more powerful

its a bit slow, i recommend spending the extra gold and getting ur smite ranks up, they offer some nice damage if u are sick of wanding

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about the benefits of disc. Deep holy was fine, I've done 44-60 as deep holy and it has fine dps and survivability, however it's terribly mana-inefficient. Despite spirit tap, I had to constantly drink after 56 or so.

Grab Spirit Tap and Wand Mastery, focus on gear with spirit... and you're all good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    At level 25 or so the wand also loses it's significance other than finishing the mob at 5-10%.
    Gravestone scepter would like to have a word with you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Wands stop being significant around lvl 40-50, their dps stops scaling as fast as smite dps and mob health. Sure, some wands are strong but they are soon going to be something you use on the last ~10% and even that is painful sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Wands stop being significant around lvl 40-50, their dps stops scaling as fast as smite dps and mob health. Sure, some wands are strong but they are soon going to be something you use on the last ~10% and even that is painful sometimes.
    There's a massive difference between levels 20+ and 50+ , the guy is advertising that wands fall off right at their zenith which is just plain wrong, wand upgrades are the single most important piece that a priest has to worry about while leveling until the mid to late 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I doubt anyone is rushing to 60.
    This is from http://wowpop.appspot.com/ before Blizz decided to break /who scanning in like the first half of September so there's probably more by now.

42,000 alliance 60s
    22,000 Horde 60s
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

You should never, ever be leveling a Disc or Holy. There's no point in doing so, it's just going to slow you down by a whole lot. You should always just put 5 points in wand spec and then go full Shadow from there; no other points in disc tree until you've got Shadowform.

You should never be using smite to dps, fucking lol

Not only is that kinda meh dps, but you're also spending lots of mana = lots of drinking = lots of downtime. The point of using wands is to minimize downtime. You kill a little slower but you almost never have to drink.

Wands don't start dropping off until level 50 or so, but by then you have full shadow talents so it's not a big deal. Even at level 50, once AV comes out you can get the level 60 wand from AV which does ridiculous damage because it's a level 60 wand you can get at level 51.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-10-14 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    This is from http://wowpop.appspot.com/ before Blizz decided to break /who scanning in like the first half of September so there's probably more by now.

42,000 alliance 60s
    22,000 Horde 60s
    Looking at this graph, it doesn't seem to reflect the "millions" of returning players? Am I missing something? Is it just horribly inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Still the same, it's incredible at level 20 if you can get it that early but after 25 it's noticeable getting downhill in damage from wands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You should never, ever be leveling a Disc or Holy. There's no point in doing so, it's just going to slow you down by a whole lot. You should always just put 5 points in wand spec and then go full Shadow from there; no other points in disc tree until you've got Shadowform.

Not only is that kinda meh dps, but you're also spending lots of mana = lots of drinking = lots of downtime. The point of using wands is to minimize downtime. You kill a little slower but you almost never have to drink.

This guy has never tried to level Holy or Disc, and if he did, he's incredible bad.

Hint: don't pick healing talents while leveling, and it's ok to pick Spirit tap. Should be pretty logical.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-10-15 at 01:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    This thread is about non-shadow leveling in case you didn't notice. What the fuck do you think disc and holy priests should use to do damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Still the same, it's incredible at level 20 if you can get it that early but after 25 it's noticeable getting downhill in damage from wands.
    This is a load of bull, I don't know what level you're hardstuck on but regardless of your spec at that level range nothing should be out-dpsing your wand, unless you're still using your level 5 wand then claiming it's "falling off hard" , just follow a wand progression properly, every priest should pass by BFD for the wand quest.

29 dps wand further enchanced by 25% = 36~ dps.

At level 25 you're using smite rank 4, a 2.5s cast that deals between 95 and 112, for argument's sake we'll take an average of 100 damage per hit.

100/2.5 = 40 dps.

As you can see the dps is close enough to warrant being more than a huge drop-off, even if you go a full holy leveling build which does improved smite's dps , baring in mind you wouldn't be able to pick up the damage increasing talents from holy and spirit tap/improved wands, which is largely considered mandatory for any leveling build.

That aside , we obviously have to talk about the implication of the 5 sec rule and how good wanding is for efficiency. If you are the kind of player that loves to spam spells instead of using wand then even with spirit tap you would still have to drink every 2 pulls, whereas efficient application of wanding will often leave you full mana by the time you pull the next mob.

I'm not here to tell you how to play, if you enjoy hard-casting all the way to 60 and drinking every 2nd pull then that's up to you, but you cannot state that non-wanding is the better path , it's just not and is something that has been highly tested over the years, people didn't just pick up wanding cause they like it, leveling is about efficiency.

I know it's hard to explain this to a person that has probably never had to consider the implication of downtime but kill speed =/= leveling speed, your leveling speed = kill speed + downtime + travel time, all 3 of these must be considered when talking about how fast you level. Have a contest with a wand priest and see how fast you can out level them if you both play the same amount of time, you won't come near their leveling speed because even though your kill speed is faster your downtime is marginally higher which outpaces your kill speed by quite a lot given that wanding almost negates downtime.

Now stop spewing garbage and spreading misinformation please.

This thread is about non-shadow leveling in case you didn't notice. What the fuck do you think disc and holy priests should use to do damage?
    A wand just like any other spec, the way you level doesn't change much. you frontload spells initially: shield -> 1 or 2 smites then dot and wand to death, if the mob is a humanoid and might run into another pack you finish with MB to stop it from aggro'ing, in most cases though you won't need to use MB.

The point of frontloading your spells is to get into the 5 second rule early on and benefit from the regen, by the time the fight ends and spirit tap kicks in you'll be full mana by the time you pull the second mob and so on.

Another piece of advice is , disc is better than shadow pre-40 but holy is the worst option of the 3, you neither get the dot damage nor the shield power/mana efficiency , the only thing you gain is smite damage and heal power, healing power is redundant at those levels anyway since unless you're literally spamming dungeons to level it's wasted points for questing and smite spamming is largely considered an inefficient way of leveling due to obvious reasons involving downtime.

You and your friend over there might enjoy playing smite spec , I'm not here to tell you how to enjoy the game but please do not throw this misinformation that holy smite spam is the "way" , you look like idiots trying to invent the wheel.

If you do go disc leveling then your path should be about efficiency since that's what disc is about, you'd still have to follow the 5 sec rule and your combat wouldn't be much different than a shadow leveling spec.

wands, because wands do a good amount of dmg while lvling, especially with 5 points in wand spec

Quote Originally Posted by odie View Post
    Hi All

I am levelling a priest as shadow .Can you let me know your experience if you have levelled a priest as Disc /Holy to lvl 60

Thanks
    I'm doing it right now. It's slower but with higher survivability. You should start Disc but then change to holy when you can reach Spiritual Guidance. If you itemize properly, meaning tons of spirit for both Spirit Tap and Guidance your output will be good and with nearly no downtime.