Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I just don't get all this exageration. I do think in collecting, it's nice how WoW unlocks the item as soon as you aquire it. In FFXIV you have to go deposit it in the dresser.
    You forgot the part where you have to remember if you've already collected this item.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

I just don't get all this exageration. I do think in collecting, it's nice how WoW unlocks the item as soon as you aquire it. In FFXIV you have to go deposit it in the dresser. Wich, yes, it's an annoying, but no one is gonna die because of a visit to the inn.
    As far as the plate construction... i really don't know what you are on about. You choose a plate and you choose an item that is immediatly previewed on the window. It's very much alike. Where i could agree? Limited number of plates...20.

Finally i just disagree on that point. If one changes transmog often, a visit to a town is not dramatic at all in a game with direct teleports. But, that is comparing to wow where changing transmog can cost around 3-500g. That adds up really fast. As you say, glamour crystals are fairly cheap, so you can change in the field. But the town restriction does not bother me at all. Actually, WoW has just the same restriction if you don't have the special mount.

So, yeah, WoW is better. Not leagues ahead better but more convenient in aquisition, but not in use costs. But end of the day, they both work fine for me. It's not a big deal.
    It's not an exaggeration though, IMO. The only thing I made a statement where WoW was significantly better than FFXIV is the collections, but due to all the other little inconveniences, WoW does end up pretty significantly ahead of FFXIV as far as the entirety of the system goes.

Due to FFXIV having segregated zones and areas with loading screens, getting to the dresser to create a plate is more cumbersome than WoW is in getting to a transmog person, but the fact the mount exists is HUGE. On top of the fact that the collection system in FFXIV is severely limited (number of spaces), time consuming and honestly not very user friendly (I had to look up how to do it).

The cost is honestly insignificant in both games, the difference being in FFXIV it's not just cost but inventory space for the glamour prisms. The amount of gold required to transmog something at max level ranges from a few gold to a few hundred gold, which can be earned in like 20-30 minutes of playing at max level due to how much the items that drop are worth at a vendor.

I never said it was a big deal, it's just a comparison to the two systems. They both work, sure, but WoW's is far and away the easier to use, less cumbersome and overall better system for various reasons, the biggest of which is how the appearances are collected.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    i think ffxiv as a whole looks much better, but not the gear design. i think 90% of the gear in ffxiv looks like absolute garbage. its all so insanely bland, boring, and recycled. you can deff make some good looking sets, but in my opinion, gear design is one of the places wow crushes ffxiv.

on top of that, the transmog/glamour system is DOG SHIT compared to wows. like not even close its so bad.
    Not even close, everyone in the industry would agree that no other MMO comes even close to FF14's armor detail and design, it's just leagues better than anything out there. Look at Blizzard's last 2 years of work and you have no choice but to agree, it's just blatantly pathetic what they're doing.

They removed tier sets in favor of bland WOTLK looking gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    You forgot the part where you have to remember if you've already collected this item.
    I do agree with this, they definitely need a system like WoW does for transmog, would make it that much easier to collect stuff tbh

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Gotta gree with most posters here but on a very specific point. The system for collectibles in WoW is better. The quality of the collectibles is not.
    Personally I rather have quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The cost is honestly insignificant in both games
    You clearly don't mog enough.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Gotta gree with most posters here but on a very specific point. The system for collectibles in WoW is better. The quality of the collectibles is not.
    Personally I rather have quality.

You clearly don't mog enough.
    The quality you're referring to though just comes from FFXIV art style though. If FFXIV implemented a system like WoW's as far as collections goes, it would be a MASSIVE improvement. If they added that, I'd be completely fine with the system. Make it so that you unlock the appearance just by getting the item in your inventory and binding it to you but have to use a prism to add it to your collection to use for glamour.

And honestly no, I don't mog that often unless the visual just REALLY bothers me or I know I won't be changing a piece out for a long time. If I know, or think, I'm going to be changing out a piece soon and it doesn't look bad, I'll just leave it.

In FFXIV though, I glamour a LOT, as I have pretty specific aesthetics I like for my classes, which honestly are just the AF gear as I usually love their class armor designs. But that means I basically have to have a plate for each class and head to town any time I change class so I can apply the right glamour since at max level a lot of the gear is shared between classes.

I just don't get all this exageration. I do think in collecting, it's nice how WoW unlocks the item as soon as you aquire it. In FFXIV you have to go deposit it in the dresser. Wich, yes, it's an annoying, but no one is gonna die because of a visit to the inn.
    As far as the plate construction... i really don't know what you are on about. You choose a plate and you choose an item that is immediatly previewed on the window. It's very much alike. Where i could agree? Limited number of plates...20.

Finally i just disagree on that point. If one changes transmog often, a visit to a town is not dramatic at all in a game with direct teleports. But, that is comparing to wow where changing transmog can cost around 3-500g. That adds up really fast. As you say, glamour crystals are fairly cheap, so you can change in the field. But the town restriction does not bother me at all. Actually, WoW has just the same restriction if you don't have the special mount.

So, yeah, WoW is better. Not leagues ahead better but more convenient in aquisition, but not in use costs. But end of the day, they both work fine for me. It's not a big deal.
    This is true. WoW does unlock the appearance once you get it, or put it on if it's a boe.
    You don't need to deal with the glamour box in FF. I still prefer the look of FF gear over WoW as a whole.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The nice thing about glamour is you can apply plates or glams ot individual items on the fly, in WoW you have to go to a vendor or have someone with a super expensive mount around.

That said, WoW's system of letting you unlock appearances and saving them to your account is superior to FFXIV where you have to keep the item around in some form.

On the other hand, FFXIV also has dyable gear. Granted not every piece is dyable. But a lot of it is and I like this more than WoW perhaps giving you 3 or 4 colors to get from a model.

I tend to prefer FFXIV gear but that's partly because a lot of WoW' stuff is too over the top for me. My favorite set in BFA is STILL the leather kul'tiras dungeon set. I don't tend to like most of the WOW raid sets. Granted ffxiv can be pretty hit or miss too. I didn't much care for sigmascape loto for example but the alphascape sets were mostly great.

Looking that up this was the first image:

Yeah you're right 10,000/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    On the other hand, FFXIV also has dyable gear.
    As far as I remember FFXIV still has only one dye channel? That makes it pretty subpar tbh.
    Looking for Raid.

As far as I remember FFXIV still has only one dye channel? That makes it pretty subpar tbh.
    I'm sure other games have better dye systems. I think DCUO has three?

But I was comparing WoW to FFXIV, and WoW has zero dye channels.

Similarly, FFXIV's character creator is lacking compared to many other games, but is superior to WoW's IMO. (WoW has a better race selection, granted, but for the races it does have I like FFXIV's CC more.)
    Last edited by Florena; 2019-10-14 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    I'm sure other games have better dye systems. I think DCUO has three?

But I was comparing WoW to FFXIV, and WoW has zero dye channels.

Similarly, FFXIV's character creator is lacking compared to many other games, but is superior to WoW's IMO. (WoW has a better race selection, granted, but for the races it does have I like FFXIV's CC more.)
    Well, that's kind of true, but comparing 2013 game to 2004 game just to make former look better isn't really fair. WoW has tons of legacy shit that'd be nightmare to change.
    Looking for Raid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Idk, I just always thought FFXIV has better looking outfits. Used to hate how you needed Prisms for different types of mogs etc., but ever since they got rid of that bs, I've felt like WoW has been inferior in that field. Atleast to me. The only more convenient part I feel in WoW is that you learn the mogs when you get them and you can then use them on alts aswell, where in FFXIV the dresser has an item limit and most mogs aren't account-wide (only exception being promotion sets, like the old Maid outfit promotion etc.) Also dyes. Dyes are a big thing for me and I always loved MMOs that had dyes that I can use for my outfits.

Also a lot of recent WoW mogs have been.. well. I don't like them all that much. But that's just a personal opinion.

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

I'd much rather be charged a small fee each time than having the limitations of FFXIV system.

The way you unlock an appearance in WoW is MILES ahead of FFXIV, and the method for making a plate is cumbersome and incredibly inconvenient, not to mention that to change the plate you have to be in an instanced city and can't be out in the field. At least with using glamour prisms you can do it on the fly.

The system is getting better than it used to, but until the appearance collection part is as good as WoW it just won't really compete. That appearance collection feature alone gives WoW the advantage here.

As far as the appearances themselves...I prefer the overall aesthetic of FFXIV, but WoW just has so many more options for everything it's insane. Maybe if the appearance collection system were better in FFXIV it wouldn't be so lopsided because who the hell can hold on to and keep track of THAT many pieces of clothing and have them al take up precious space in the dresser?
    Only downside to the collection in WoW was me having to scroll through half a dozen pages of junk to find the one thing I was trying to find. There are a lot of things in WoW I reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy don't need to ever see again after I throw it away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I gotta admit..the gear models in FF look MUCH better than the stuff in WoW. The wow gear model design team is just plain lazy..but i'm seriously diggin the gear models in FF. Granted it's a 400 item limit, but that's still a lot of transmog/glamour gear!
    If you're not aware of it: https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ is a site where people share the glamours they've put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Only downside to the collection in WoW was me having to scroll through half a dozen pages of junk to find the one thing I was trying to find. There are a lot of things in WoW I reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy don't need to ever see again after I throw it away.
    That is definitely a fair criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Not even close, everyone in the industry would agree that no other MMO comes even close to FF14's armor detail and design, it's just leagues better than anything out there. Look at Blizzard's last 2 years of work and you have no choice but to agree, it's just blatantly pathetic what they're doing.

They removed tier sets in favor of bland WOTLK looking gear.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with this, they definitely need a system like WoW does for transmog, would make it that much easier to collect stuff tbh
    Many on the WoW forums would also agree that Blizzard just hasnt been trying, in regards to raid gear design. With the exception of Diablo gear models, Diablo's gear models are simply beautiful. I really wish WoW would convert/steal/borrow their design team. :P

I did notice that in FF you can only transmog weapons for a certain job. WoW recently improved their weapon transmog, allowing you more options for interchanging weapon types. I often change weapon mogs on WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

I can attest to this as well. lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not aware of it: https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ is a site where people share the glamours they've put together.
    Thanks. I'll have to check this out to see what other cool stuff i can hunt for! On WoW you can view a raid's gear in the journal to see what it looks like. Are you able to do that in FF?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Well, that's kind of true, but comparing 2013 game to 2004 game just to make former look better isn't really fair. WoW has tons of legacy shit that'd be nightmare to change.
    It's not like colouring gear wasn't a thing in 2004's MMOs.
    So I don't see your point.

Game A decided to use it, game B didn't.
    WoW decided to paint characters instead of adding proper armor models.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-10-15 at 04:43 AM.

I think both WoW and FF14 do their own things better. FF14 has really greatly detailed armor but then again every race is just a variety of human with the closest 'beast' race being the barely a beast race hrothgar (along with them and viera still not at least being able to show helmets new to this expansion judging by the 5.1 armor preview and the lack of viera/hrothgar in it) so making armor is a bit easier than WoW with its more beastial races with digitigrade legs. My biggest armor pet peeve though is the lack of modifying the geoset they use for the 'cloaks' so that I don't see the 3 races with tails having their tails awkwardly clip through the middle of it. Overall I'll give Blizzards art team credit in trying to spice up armors with the 3D assets. I'd love dye channels to be a thing but Blizzard dug that hole with how they designed their armor system in that it'd be a massive undertaking to do now unless they made it a thing only for newer armors.

Right click > search for item. You don't have to remember anything!

- - - Updated - - -

Fairly simple fix, too. Just make your collection able to have favorites so when you identify it as a favorite it stays at the top of the list. They may already have it in and I'm not aware of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to check this out to see what other cool stuff i can hunt for! On WoW you can view a raid's gear in the journal to see what it looks like. Are you able to do that in FF?
    No, that is one thing I miss from WoW's addons and later added in the Adventuring Guide. Being able to see what drops from different dungeons was a nice convenience. In contrast, however, I miss the days of seeing a cool piece of armor or weapon and actually, y'know.... asking the player where they got it. Communication...being social...in an MMO. I realize I'm a relic from the past when MMOs were MMORPGs, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    My biggest armor pet peeve though is the lack of modifying the geoset they use for the 'cloaks' so that I don't see the 3 races with tails having their tails awkwardly clip through the middle of it.
    This stands out more with cloaks since a LOT of armor seems like it was designed with those tails in mind. Jackets split in the back or armor has something designed where it just looks decorative on non-tailed races and looks like it was made with the tail in mind on the tailed races. So yeah, cloaks certainly stand out in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    I'd love dye channels to be a thing but Blizzard dug that hole with how they designed their armor system in that it'd be a massive undertaking to do now unless they made it a thing only for newer armors.
    Which would be totally fine imho.
    No need to retrofit all the stuff that is already out. They didn't do that with the 3D-art on armor either.
    They should just concentrate on new armor.

I don't agree with WoW armor being more difficult to create btw.
    Armor pieces that can't be put on certain races are hidden by default and even heritage armor doesn't look like it was specifically designed with the race porpotions in mind so much that you couldn't simply refit them for the other races in mere hours, you can preview the Sin'dorei stuff with a modelviewer for tauren and it looks like any other set for them, just rezise the helmet like everything else and done. (works for all the other helmets too after all)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-10-15 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It's not like colouring gear wasn't a thing in 2004's MMOs.
    So I don't see your point.

Game A decided to use it, game B didn't.
    WoW decided to paint characters instead of adding proper armor models.
    It's not like dye channels weren't a thing in 2013.
    Right click > search for item. You don't have to remember anything!
    Two questions:
    1) Can you search for item this way if you don't have it in your inventory or you have to use obscure shit like /isearch?
    2) This doesn't tell if you have the same model with different name, right?
    Looking for Raid.