Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dark Runes, Need or Greed?

What's the deal with Dark Runes? Need or greed for healers?

Quote Originally Posted by https://classicdb.ch/?item=20520
    Dark Rune
    Use: Restores 900 to 1501 mana at the cost of 600 to 1001 life. (cooldown 2 min)
    As healer in Scholomance I will need on these things every single time and the rogue or warrior will invariably chime in with "What, why need on that??". Because I use them, it's a mana pot that doesn't share a cd? It's even possible I'll use 1 or 5 of them in this very instance to save the party when I'm oom depending on the competence of the group.

Then they come out with all the excuses under the sun. "It's worth 2g on the AH", "it's a trade item", "it's a craft item", "it's not fair", "you can farm Felwood", "I need for money", "you should have greeded because everyone else greeded", bla bla. One tank even left on the spot.

I actually don't care it's worth 2g on the AH, I use them as a consumable, not sell them.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2019-10-14 at 06:47 PM.

If a mob drops a mana potion, do you /roll for it, or does it go to the person who looted it? Yes, NFG prompts for a roll, but it's the same thing. Not to mention there are people who use these for crafting. IMO this is a greed item, pure and simple. If you're rolling Need while everyone else is rolling Greed, you're wrong.

Dark runes are consumables almost exclusively for healers, I always let the healer have them.

They're really not going for much anyway, they're like 2g each on my server's AH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    IMO this is a greed item, pure and simple. If you're rolling Need while everyone else is rolling Greed, you're wrong.
    Found the greedy tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    health potions always goes to tank.
    That's what I do, trade health pots to the tank as they drop.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Found the greedy tank.
    Wrong. Holy Priest. In my guild runs I get pretty much all of these. In PUGs, it pays to play nice.

If anyone without a mana bar needs, leave group.

Non healers roll need tell them to fuck themselves and farm demonics in their DPS specs and fuck off. If that don't work then leave

Wrong. Holy Priest. In my guild runs I get pretty much all of these. In PUGs, it pays to play nice.
    "playing nice" AKA bending over and letting people do whatever they want with your raid consumes?

lol

As a healer, all greed. They're worth gold and you don't NEED them to get through content. The last scholo run I was in I did ask if I could need the first two that dropped because I was looking to make the soulshard bag for my alt, but after that we all greeded. If I was on a run on a dps alt (when a dps alt finally makes it to that level) and the healer was needing on those, I'd need on them too. It's the same as everyone rolling need on boe epics or high value blues that drop; it's valuable to everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "playing nice" AKA bending over and letting people do whatever they want with your raid consumes?

lol
    They're not "your" raid consumables. You couldn't get them solo, so you can roll the same way everyone else does. Again, healer perspective here.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

As a mage I always need on them simply because I need them.

I need the things I need. I need mana consumables. You want me to have mana consumables if shit goes south. IF you need them for something, roll need.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    What's the deal with Dark Runes? Need or greed for healers?

As healer in Scholomance I will need on these things every single time and the rogue or warrior will invariably chime in with "What, why need on that??". Because I use them, it's a mana pot that doesn't share a cd? It's even possible I'll use 1 or 5 of them in this very instance to save the party when I'm oom depending on the competence of the group.

Then they come out with all the excuses under the sun. "It's worth 2g on the AH", "it's a trade item", "it's a craft item", "it's not fair", "you can farm Felwood", "I need for money", "you should have greeded because everyone else greeded", bla bla. One tank even left on the spot.

I actually don't care it's worth 2g on the AH, I use them as a consumable, not sell them.

Thoughts?
    Just type that question at the start of dungeon problem solved.

If a mob drops a mana potion, do you /roll for it, or does it go to the person who looted it? Yes, NFG prompts for a roll, but it's the same thing. Not to mention there are people who use these for crafting. IMO this is a greed item, pure and simple. If you're rolling Need while everyone else is rolling Greed, you're wrong.
    Wrong.

Greed is there for people who cannot gain benefit from an item and would like to sell it. Need is for people who can use the item with benefit. A warrior greeds on the rune. A mana user including hunters and mages can rightfully need on the rune. Personally I greed on these items and as I don't heal but I wouldn't begrudge another mana user needing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing nice would be to let the people who cannot use the item, let the actual person who needs it, win it.

If someone else needs the item for the mana or for crafting something, they are welcome to need as well, otherwise you greed.
    Last edited by Vitalremains; 2019-10-14 at 09:45 PM.

I think this whole flexible philosophy on whether something is "Need" or "Greed" dependant on the value of the item completely silly; but that's the reality of it. That people would abandon "tank loot goes to tank, caster loot to casters etc." over a measly 2g seem crazy, but it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    it's worth 2g on the AH
    Thoughts?
    All need on BoE solves this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

While yes, the item is a mana potion... it's also a self dmg tool ANYONE can use in the event of a wipe to avoid durability loss. Some people purchase and use them in this capacity as well.

There was a healer in one of my groups telling everyone he wants to need them for his guilds MC Raid and he would not use them in our run.

Whole group told him to f. off

10+ Year Old Account
    I need on them, and don't mind if others do to. If you want them for AH, it's fine, you put the same effort to have them drop.

Greed.

If they were BoP (like demonic runes), you could need, but being BoE, it's greed for everyone. Not like tank\dpsers could roll "NEED" on Major Healing Pots... so yea, don't be an idiot.

People are too entitled, geez.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2019-10-14 at 11:40 PM.

I wonder how many people stating to Need roll these things are the same people that shout that Rogues shouldn’t claim treasure chests for themselves in dungeon runs.