Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I'm going to say it again : for a country in which constitution supposedly protect people from tyranny (read, guns), Americans are sure accepting what is blatant tyranny, law enforcement killing over and over people.
    The sad truth is that Constitution wasn't written for everyone. They literally had to amend it to make black people citizens. People who had been in the US/NA for something like 150 years prior.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its called systemic injustice. The police aren't 'in the wrong' because the law says they aren't.

They were legally in the right when they sicced dogs and firehouses on Civil Rights protestors.

They been legally cleared for shooting people because the person followed their orders too slow or they couldn't tell the difference between a wallet and glock.

They've been found within the law after firing blindly into homes and killing kids.

None of that makes them right just because the laws are broken. Failures of the justice system doesn't morally clear injustice.

When the system is corrupt you have to look at those who make it up. Those who are protecting the 'few bad eggs' and not demanding change from within. If know your colleagues are involved in gross misconduct you don't just throw your hands up and 'well it wasn't me' if you're aware of it and didn't address it. You certainly don't get a free pass if you covered for them but 'never actually participated in their corruption'.

The "just doing my job" excusewas thrown out in 1946.
    None of what you just said makes any of my statements wrong. The number of police serving and the number of ones who have been convicted of a crime ( yes, they also have rights ), is evidence the majority of them are doing a good job.

There are former police officers serving time in prisons as we type these posts. Who where found to have broken the law.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Again, do you think cops do this because they can get away with it? Isn't that perverse? It's horrible that they CAN get away with it, but the reason they do it is obviously something else otherwise you have a fuckton of psychopaths in the US.
    then why now (well when they dont cut the body camera off) do cops lie about what happened, often while having the dept release statements about how the person had a weapon (despite not using it, or in some cases, even being near it) or the perennial favorite "had marijuana in their system"

that sort of willingness to lie comes from a systemic issue of knowing that if you just say "i was in fear for my life" no more questions will be asked, all wagons are circled to protect you now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    wait and see IF he is found guilty, and IF his sentence isnt some slap on the wrist compared to what anyone else in the same situation would have gotten

or hell, what Atatiana Jefferson would have gotten if she had shot him thinking he was someone trying to break in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    wait and see IF he is found guilty, and IF his sentence isnt some slap on the wrist compared to what anyone else in the same situation would have gotten

or hell, what Atatiana Jefferson would have gotten if she had shot him thinking he was someone trying to break in.
    I suspect he will be, and will get a tougher sentence. People are sick of this shit, and I think the victims family forgiving Amber was a large factor in her getting 10 years, while this family is angry and fed up.

The video evidence is so damning I dont see how "i feared for my life' would ever apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Looks like suicide by cop to me. She was found with a gun which may explain why the officer reacted so quickly after he told her to show her hands. If she pointed the gun at him, he had no choice but to fire. I guess some want to argue that police shouldn't be allowed to fire unless they've already been fired upon, but that has consequences like dead officers.
    Left door open, because it was nice outside. Inside playing video games with her 8 year old nephew. Wasn't even the one who called police. But suicide by cop is your default answer.

The only thing she did wrong was being born the wrong color.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    Truly terrible situation and the officer should be brought up on murder charges unless more information surfaces. That being said, is the reporting mistaken with the bolded parts? Neighbor called 911 for a non-emergency call. If a situation is not an emergency do NOT call 911. There are other numbers to reach your local police.
    The report I heard said he called a non emergency number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    Truly terrible situation and the officer should be brought up on murder charges unless more information surfaces. That being said, is the reporting mistaken with the bolded parts? Neighbor called 911 for a non-emergency call. If a situation is not an emergency do NOT call 911. There are other numbers to reach your local police.
    Whatever article you read claiming the neighbor called 911 is mistaken, the neighbor did not call 911. The neighbor called the non-emergency line to request a welfare check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like suicide by cop to me. She was found with a gun which may explain why the officer reacted so quickly after he told her to show her hands. If she pointed the gun at him, he had no choice but to fire. I guess some want to argue that police shouldn't be allowed to fire unless they've already been fired upon, but that has consequences like dead officers.
    Of course it does. That's what all racists say given these circumstances. God forbid you get the actual facts and realize the cop should probably just be taken out back and hung.

He already resigned - guess he did that because he felt his actions were so justified your Klan was going to send him a fully funded retirement plan?
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-10-15 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much do you think hell get? 4 years? 8?

Are going to try character assassinate Atatiana by saying she had a gun in home? Maybe she got a C on a test once, didn't properly cite a paper properly?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The guy, Aaron Dean, has resigned. Interim chief has said he was about to fire him ( an unlikely story imo but it is what it is). There better be charges coming and this dude better not run since he's not cooperating with the investigation apparently.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/14/...ana-jefferson/
    That is usually what happens in these cases, they have a bad shoot, and they resign and get hired down the road a few months later.

The body cam footage is unmistakable, there are no ifs and buts. Normally, he should not be able to get away with this.
    I do not like courts with book being thrown at someone for the sake of it and to make an example, but in this case there really needs to be a harsh punishment. Let's see if the murder charge actually sticks this time...

And here is the first genius to excuse this. Congratulations, you must have put a lot of thought into this, while ignoring that this happens in 3 seconds, that under Texas laws she could do whatever and that police were doing something totally illogical by sneaking around backyard. Oh, and that this was not even an emergency call, but a wellfare checkup, which for some stupid reason got an armed response.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully he gets atleast 10-20 years for this shit.
    From the video it clearly shows him jumping the gun and shooting way to quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And here is the first genius to excuse this. Congratulations, you must have put a lot of thought into this, while ignoring that this happens in 3 seconds, that under Texas laws she could do whatever and that police were doing something totally illogical by sneaking around backyard. Oh, and that this was not even an emergency call, but a wellfare checkup, which for some stupid reason got an armed response.
    An armed, stealthy response. They didn't announce themselves. Didn't knock on the door or ring the doorbell. They pulled up away from the house, snuck up and into her backyard, and assassinated her through the back window with basically no warning at all, and no time for her to respond to what warning they did give.

Like I said earlier in the thread; even if she were armed and had her gun aimed at the officer, she would be the one in the legal right in that situation. So any possibility that she was armed isn't going to help the officer one whit in his defense at trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An armed, stealthy response. They didn't announce themselves. Didn't knock on the door or ring the doorbell. They pulled up away from the house, snuck up and into her backyard, and assassinated her through the back window with basically no warning at all, and no time for her to respond to what warning they did give.

Like I said earlier in the thread; even if she were armed and had her gun aimed at the officer, she would be the one in the legal right in that situation. So any possibility that she was armed isn't going to help the officer one whit in his defense at trial.
    Yeah, the whole incident is just... wrong from every angle.
    About the trial, I hate the police doing the "oh, btw, there was a gun/weed/he was a criminal before" thing they love to blurt to press, casually.
    Have some integrity at least instead of trying to swing what public thinks about the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Hold the fuck up.. 21 weeks? That's all the education police get there? In my country it takes 28 MONTHS to get educated as police. And that's not swat or whatever, that's standard street cop
    That's actually more than usual. The average is 19 weeks and ranges from 10 weeks (Georgia) to 22 weeks (California)

More details on training duration and what it contains.

Also note you have utter nutcases like Dave Grossman doing basically extracurricular "training" for police.

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How much do you think hell get? 4 years? 8?

Are going to try character assassinate Atatiana by saying she had a gun in home? Maybe she got a C on a test once, didn't properly cite a paper properly?
    Since apparently he was going to be fired before he resigned (as opposed to just being put on desk duty), they might try to make an example out of him.

But arguing that she had a gun, and is therefore a terrible person liable to do something that gets herself shot by the police, isn't going to work in a country where it's apparently one of our most sacred rights... Or at least it wouldn't in a sane world where this sort of thing doesn't happen in the first place.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-10-15 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Left door open, because it was nice outside. Inside playing video games with her 8 year old nephew. Wasn't even the one who called police. But suicide by cop is your default answer.

The only thing she did wrong was being born the wrong color.
    Said it might have been and it was more plausible than he was a racist itching to go out and kill a black person as soon as possible that I've been hearing. All we know now is the gun she had wasn't in play. We know he shot her. That's it. We have no motive at this time. We'll learn as the process moves on what happened. But this jump to racial motivation is premature unless you got information I don't.

Zero annoucements nor knocking to allow their presense be known with car not parkedin the front, and the fucker shoots without knowing their target??? That's grounds for murder!

Department should be sued for severe lack of training.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-10-15 at 05:40 AM.