+ 26

wonders what anime he should watch next

10+ Year Old Account
    +24

In a normal mood, I'd have finished Acchi Kochi already and moved on to something with more substance. But it's been such a shit week. Though I'm gonna catch up on Dr. Stone and Fairy Tail.

+ 27

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    wonders what anime he should watch next

Seirei no Moribito takes place in a fantasy counterpart to medieval Japan, where the Empress secretly asks a female bodyguard, Balsa Yonsa, to protect her son the prince from his father the Emperor, who believes that he will bring about a curse on the land. You'd think that it'd be an epic road trip or the beginnings of a war story, but it is actually very much SoL in tone as the two simply try to live out their lives in hiding. Fantastic 24 episode series.

===========================================================

Rose of Versailles is a 40 episode series set during the final days of the Bourbon dynasty. It follows Oscar - a woman raised as a man by her father - who becomes captain of the royal guard. Oscar and her friend Andre try to protect the royal family and France as a whole. The first twenty episodes are pretty lighthearted, while the second half of the series delves into the beginnings of the French Revolution.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is overhyped but is nonetheless very good. It's about a war between the Empire (Prussia but in SPAAAACE!) and the Free Planets Alliance (America but in SPAAAACE!). It follows two rising heroes on both sides: Reinhard of the Empire, who seeks to reform it from within and bring peace to the galaxy by uniting it under one banner, and Yang Wen-Li, a commodore of the UFP who will fight for the principals of democracy, even if they are wielded immorally. The distribution rights were lost, so you can stream it from wherever. HDive also threw the series up on their platform so if you have the app or VRV you can stream it to your TV too. Recommended watch order is My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars (a movie that establishes the central cast) -> Overture to the New War (a movie remake of the first three episodes and is coherent, unlike those 3 episodes) -> watch the 110 episode series, starting at episode 3.

Rurouni Kenshin is a 62 episode series (there are 94 episodes but nearly everything after 62 is noncanon filler) set 1874 in the Meji Era, 11 years after the downfall of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the establishment of Japan as we know it. It follows Himura Kenshin, who was an assassin during the revolution but had since then come to regret his actions, as he killed innocents for an fanciful ideal and realized that the promised world he fought for did not come to pass. He has since then taken up a vow to never kill again, wielding a sword with it's edge reversed to face the user, and has wandered around Japan for 10 years. That is, until he found a new surrogate family to integrate into. This newfound peace is threatened when a conspiracy is discovered that threatens to destroy everything he worked for...

Rurouni Kenshin is also renowned for being one of the few anime/manga franchises with an actually good live-action film adaptation. A trilogy of three films, in fact. While I recommend you watch the 62 episode anime series first, you certainly can't go wrong with watching the live-action trilogy. There is also a fantastic 4-part OVA called Trust and Betrayal, which I'd recommend you watch after episode 27 of the TV series.

I will once again recommend Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the TV series by Ufotable). The premise is that in urban Japan, seven mages summon seven legendary and mythological figures to fight to the death for the Holy Grail, an artifact said to grant any wish. The actual core of the story is about a man's struggle to become a hero to save the world. Watch Fate/Zero first, as it sets up the "question" for Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works to answer. The dub is excellent! It's a great story.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-10-15 at 04:56 AM.

+ 22

I think we have differing tastes a bit, Val. I do somewhat want to start Fate, but... eh. I'm not looking for a big commitment.

10+ Year Old Account
    +20

I just wanna watch Fate Kaleid because that one seems more happy fun and has one of my favorite VA's as the lead.

+ 21

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I just wanna watch Fate Kaleid because that one seems more happy fun and has one of my favorite VA's as the lead.
    You can jump into Kaleid without any prior knowledge of the series

10+ Year Old Account
    +18

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    + 21

You can jump into Kaleid without any prior knowledge of the series
    So I've been told, which is good, since I've only seen half of Fate/Zero. Although Rin appears to be a main character in Kaleid. I just wanna see fun yuri magical girls, ala Hina Logi.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 20