Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I've always thought it far more the responsiveness of the game. Click a thing, you do a thing. Most other games take forever to get to the point.
    This. Other game developers have echoed that statement.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I disagree, Warcraft was a popular name but not that popular to stomp out competing MMO's. It was the fact that WoW was extremely accessible compared to other MMO's at the time like EQ, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online.
    Tbf WH:O was a very accessible game as well. It's still in my hall of Fame as my all time favourite MMO. It's main issue was EA being greedy, rushing it out with too many bugs and the game losing a foothold with the community due to People retreating straight back to other MMO's without the bugs. It was a fast death of it's own making

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Can a game that once boasted ~12 million subscribers but now has about 500,000 still be considered popular?
    It can when even at it's lowest Subs it is still the most subbed game of it's Genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It can when even at it's lowest Subs it is still the most subbed game of it's Genre.
    This cannot be confirmed though, can it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    This. Other game developers have echoed that statement.
    Its always a hill you have to climb with other mmos - the lack of fluidity and responsiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    This cannot be confirmed though, can it?
    Blizzard has said "Millions" of players have come back to try Classic. Playing Classic requires a Sub. Square-Enix's last holdings report had all Final Fantasy Online games hovering around 1 million. ESO isn't near either of these numbers.

Quite literally the closest MMO to WoW is OSRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Blizzard has said "Millions" of players have come back to try Classic. Playing Classic requires a Sub. Square-Enix's last holdings report had all Final Fantasy Online games hovering around 1 million. ESO isn't near either of these numbers.

Quite literally the closest MMO to WoW is OSRS.
    And how many of those MILLIONS (citation needed) are still subbed?

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Pretty sure Rift had addons, SWtoR has UI customization, and ESO has addons.
    none of them allows the modification wow allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah that was certainly another thing it had over Everquest. Did DAoC ever really take off? I remember there was buzz about it for a very short span of time.
    There is a very informative video about that game. I'll link it here

It's quite detailed. It's where I've gotten a lot of my information for other MMO's of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it's been a month since Classic. I'd say the drop off wouldn't be anywhere close to it making WoW not still be #1 across the board in popularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitley one of them.

Steamers/Influencers

Its just one of the unique and very well executed properties of WoW. I didnt play much in WoD, but was online almost every day just playing with my UIs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Can a game that once boasted ~12 million subscribers but now has about 500,000 still be considered popular?
    To correct you, WoW had OVER 12.1 Million subscribers world wide, and currently has more people on twitch than your second false number - and twitch is so skewed I can't even begin to describe it. I don't watch twitch but during big events or maybe once a month (I DO however watch youtube highlights weekly) - not to mention classic bringing a TON of new or old players back into the fold, if at least temporarily.. even big named streamers were playing classic for the first few weeks..

So yeah it's pretty popular for an almosssssst 15 year old game (Halo 2 launched with WoW.. Halo 2 was buried in 2009.. when they took the servers offline and roasted that main stream legend so...)

This is VERY true, and it's something we only come to appreciate when we actually try some other mmorpg games. You can't customize shit in them. Even if the devs try to give you lots of freedom with your UI, there's only as much you can do without outside apps/addons.

Also have to agree on one of the other comments here: the responsiveness and fluidity of input in WoW is second to none. I recently had an almost month-long venture in FF14 and in the end left it because of how clunky the combat felt. For some reason no other game seems to be able to reproduce the feeling we have in wow.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-10-15 at 01:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree. It is very popular for that. The addons won't make you stay on the game, but boy will they sure draw you into it.

Addons are just a way to put the work on the players in order to have a decent UI so that devs don't have to develop it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you that desperate to talk shit that you can't even remember how long Classic has been released?

The likelihood that Millions unsubbed within a month is slimmer than your logic that they did.

You could be right. Not installed any addons yet myself, but I'm sure I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Addons are just a way to put the work on the players in order to have a decent UI so that devs don't have to develop it.
    Yes and no.

It's true that the customization available in wow itself is poor, but even if they included a lot of it, it could still never be as flexible as it gets with addons. You can literally do anything, with any visuals and graphics and styles you want.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Are you that desperate to talk shit that you can't even remember how long Classic has been released?

The likelihood that Millions unsubbed within a month is slimmer than your logic that they did.
    Classic has been out for over 1 month. It released on August 26th. It is now mid October. Are you so desperate to talk shit you forgot how a calendar works?

Everytime I go into threads like this hoping to find an actual new insight, a reason no one thought about, but makes sense, and every time I am disappointed. No one plays a game because of the addons. They are a bonus, nothing more. No one thinks 'meh, this game sucks, but I'll play it because the addons are stellar!'.