Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post I do think we should have more race exclusive classes

I kinda feel like at this point, it's the next thing to explore after Allied Races.

That brings on the next obvious question: What races should get which specific classes?

Here's a few off the top of my head:

• Tinker: Gnome, Mecha Gnome, Goblin, Vulpera
    • Blademaster: Orc, Maghar Orc
    • Dark Ranger: Undead, Night Elf, Blood Elf, Void Elf, Human
    • Dark Shaman: Orc, Maghar Orc, Troll, Zandalari Troll, Tauren, Highmountain Tauren, Goblin, Dark Iron Dwarf, Draenei, Kul Tiran Human
    • Seigemaster: Dwarf, Dark Iron Dwarf, Gnome, Mecha Gnome, Draenei, Worgen, Tauren, Highmountain Tauren, Goblin, Vulpera

Those are just some example class ideas to clarify.

I know race-exclusive classes are a touchy subject but I think the timing is there for it personally.

EDIT:

Most who've commented so far chose to focus on the lists than what I specifically said. Forget the lists and focus more on the concept of race-exclusive classes for the purposes of this discussion.

I said I think there should be more race-exclusive classes.

The five example class ideas--and I threat that in specifically to prevent what I've read so far actually--are nothing more than that. Examples to be used to explain my train of thought. The provided lists themselves are actually irrelvant but I'm leaving them there because it helps illustrate my train of thought.

Also I know what "Race Exclusive" means. It just so happens in the case of the last two of those five example classes, all of those races could actually work in the case of the last two examples. I do feel fewer is better personally though.
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2019-10-15 at 06:03 PM.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

I think WoW should stop pretending like no one can actually learn the spells and abiltities of a class undless they are born as a certain race and stop looking for convoluted explanations of class/race combinations, especially when we constantly fight against some twats ingame that apparently aren't restricted by these. This is especially true since we practically start out with like 2 abiltities for the most part and learn the rest over the next 100 levels. We are fucking adventurers, we get around and interact constantly with other races. That we can't lean anything from them is just sad at this point.

Let me walk up to some guy, show him my potential and then have him train me the basics (the rest we have to learn ourselves these days anyway). Not to mention for one-dimensional ideas like Blademaster, Dark Ranger and Dark Shaman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    [*]Tinker: Gnome, Mecha Gnome, Goblin, Vulpera
    Why do people keep Vulpera this just because it uses the same rig as Goblin?

It would make way more sense to add it for Draenei (artificers) and Mag'har orcs (Iron Horde engineers) and some other races maybe than for Vulpera and just call it Machinist or something of that sort..
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Agreed. They probably should also have restricted Death Knights to way fewer races... So they look like actual knights and not some kind of multicultural plate wearer freakshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think WoW should stop pretending like no one can actually learn the spells and abiltities of a class undless they are born as a certain race and stop looking for convoluted explanations of class/race combinations, especially when we constantly fight against some twats ingame that apparently aren't restricted by these. This is especially true since we practically start out with like 2 abiltities for the most part and learn the rest over the next 100 levels. We are fucking adventurers, we get around and interact constantly with other races. That we can't lean anything from them is just sad at this point.

Let me walk up to some guy, show him my potential and then have him train me the basics (the rest we have to learn ourselves these days anyway). Not to mention for one-dimensional ideas like Blademaster, Dark Ranger and Dark Shaman.
    That just totally flies in the face of most Fantasy conventions.

Think of it this way; part of what makes Warcraft so interested is that every race has a really distinct culture. Class-options are what support and define that culture. Back when Blood Elves couldn't be Warriors, it actually communicated a really interesting idea; that this race isn't "rugged", they're so magically-driven that they don't even have access to the "everyman" class of Warrior.

Or Orcs and Tauren unable to be Paladins; it communicates to players that these races don't subscribe to those particular religious ideologies, that they aren't "knights in shining armor".

By contrast, look at Elder Scrolls games; everyone can do everything, and because of that, none of the races have any distinctive culture.

Sure, that's more "realistic", but it also degrades a lot of the charm of each race being this super interesting, self-contained culture.

Cataclysm really fucked up with some of the Race/Class combos it introduced (Goblin Shamans, Night Elf Mages, Tauren Paladins). I'd argue Blizzard initially fucked up with the Death Knight, which should have been race-restrictive as well (I'd have probably picked Human and Dwarf for Alliance, Undead and Blood Elf for Horde, POSSIBLY Orc and Draenei).

I mean, imagine playing Warcraft III and every race could build every building and unit. It would be super boring, because none of the races would *FEEL* any different.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are race-specific classes but Blizzard would never be able to make them work in a "balanced" enviroment as wow
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree. more restrictions make the decision of class/race/faction choice more important. i also want to see faction restricted classes again. sadly min/maxers ruined that. cant do what is fun anymore, because of min/maxers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Blegh. No thankyou. I'm more on the side of let any race be anything.

Agreed 100%.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

I don't agree. Everybody can learn another race's class (we even saw lightforged orc, but like elves they seems to be magic sponge and you can infuse them with any kind of magic). They could focus on the blademaster things with cosmetic classes, but what's the point of having a warrior subclass only for a race ? Doens't make any sense since a lot of races (including humans, hello Herod) just uses the main BM abilities (Critical Strike, Bladestorm) without being blademasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Cataclysm really fucked up with some of the Race/Class combos it introduced (Goblin Shamans, Night Elf Mages, Tauren Paladins). I'd argue Blizzard initially fucked up with the Death Knight, which should have been race-restrictive as well (I'd have probably picked Human and Dwarf for Alliance, Undead and Blood Elf for Horde, POSSIBLY Orc and Draenei).
    I agree with you but there was at least a good explanation for Night Elf mages.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Agreed. They probably should also have restricted Death Knights to way fewer races... So they look like actual knights and not some kind of multicultural plate wearer freakshow.
    The hole has been blown wide open on that one, I'm afraid. DK's for all is an idiotic move on Blizzard's part. They're slotted in with the warrior and monk as being a class anyone can be? (worgen/gobbo aside, don't get me started with them and monks)

u wot blizz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Race exclusive class skins, not classes imo.

Stop thinking please before you harm yourself.

ok.there are a few posible new classes very interesting....but,they go very slowly bring them to the game.....blizzard,please i dont want to die before can play my nelf warden,my human necromancer or my orc blade master hi all

3+ Year Old Account
    Personally I appreciate the race-class restrictions. They do a good job of illustrating not what the races are capable of physically, but socially. What is acceptable for them? Keep in mind we're all part of a distinct culture of people with their own outlook on life. For important public figures on Azeroth such as ourselves, it would be a huge miss-step to take part in something they don't believe in.

A Draenei or Night Elf warlock? They will immediately be exiled, or worse, from their society. Doesn't matter how many elekks they've wrangled or all the rabbits they've saved, the Draenei/Kaldorei will not tolerate one of their own consorting with what they believe to be the greatest threat to their society. Stormwind humans cannot practice druidism or shamanism because, well their analogous to Christians and anything not the Holy Light is rather taboo. Yes they can be warlocks, but it's still weird for everyone. Why do you think they practice in the basement of a tavern that nobody ever goes to? By the same token, Orcs will never be priests, as they are the "pagans" and the Light has mainly been practiced by their primary enemies for over 30 years. They have the same attitude as humans towards warlocks, however; it's taboo and concerning to the general populace for its dangers.

To be honest, I can think of more classes that races -shouldn't- be able to be than classes to add to their roster. Nobody wants that though, which I understand.

I do however, think racial overlays on classes would make sense. Many people talk about this of course. The different races should have unique methods of practicing their chosen skill, displayed by the animations and effects. Most people mention paladins, with Humans, Blood Elves, Dwarves and Draenei having the classic Holy Light aesthetic. Lightforged should have an intensified Light that seems to carry more weight to it, almost like hard light. The Dark Iron have a sort of inflamed Light that hearkens to their connection to Ragnaros. Tauren Sunwalkers have natural sunlight. Zandalari either have something of a static-charged lightning-esque Light, or a wispy ghostly version, to show their connection to the Loa.

Other classes could function similarly, and it doesn't have to be a massive overhaul, just some additional particle effects and maybe animations.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2019-10-15 at 05:36 PM.

I kinda feel like at this point, it's the next thing to explore after Allied Races.

That brings on the next obvious question: What races should get which specific classes?

Here's a few off the top of my head:

• Blademaster: Orc, Maghar Orc
    • Dark Ranger: Undead, Night Elf, Blood Elf, Void Elf, Human
    • Dark Shaman: Orc, Maghar Orc, Troll, Zandalari Troll, Tauren, Highmountain Tauren, Goblin, Dark Iron Dwarf, Draenei, Kul Tiran Human
    • Seigemaster: Dwarf, Dark Iron Dwarf, Gnome, Mecha Gnome, Draenei, Worgen, Tauren, Highmountain Tauren, Goblin, Vulpera

Those are just some example class ideas to clarify.

I know race-exclusive classes are a touchy subject but I think the timing is there for it personally.
    I don't think you really understand what "race-exclusive" means when you provide multiple races for each of those proposed classes.

Druid was, until Cataclysm, something of a "race-exclusive" class...because it was only available to one race in each faction.
    Paladin and Shaman were faction exclusive classes because they were only available to their respective factions.

What you have here is no different than how Blizzard currently does classes. They decide which races get to be which classes...with the only universally available class being Warrior.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Why people keep adding Vulpera as a possible tinker race? That's like saying void elves should be paladins.

How in the heck are these two "race-restricted" when each has 10 races available? They're almost as "restricted" as death knights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I added a bit more to my original post since most folks decided to focus on the lists and not my actual train of thought. The example lists themselves are actually irrelevant to the larger point I was trying to make so I clarified a bit.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

I agree, exclusivity makes things special. I'm surprised Blizzard's been able to maintain that Demon Hunters can only be night elves and blood elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i agree. more restrictions make the decision of class/race/faction choice more important. i also want to see faction restricted classes again. sadly min/maxers ruined that. cant do what is fun anymore, because of min/maxers.
    Fun is subjective. I don't want to go back to the days of having to choose between playing with all of my friends on one faction or playing the class I want to play on the opposite faction. That's not fun for me.