Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raid Leading Molten Core/Onyxia. Need Help.

I'm the GM of a guild who has 40+ people attuned and ready to raid. Alot of us have already cleared MC and Ony in pugs but because we have people with varying work schedules it's only less than half of us who have seen these fights. The majority of the people who will be raiding have not yet seen these bosses from the classic perspective and our biggest experience comes from watching videos. That said, none of us were raiding in Vanilla, including myself, and people love to place pressure on me as being the default RL since I am the GM of the guild. I'm trying to recruit a RL but so far there are no people to come forward. I need help!

Does anyone have any resources, videos, links anything I can ready, watch and gain information from? I mean, watching a video is one thing but actually getting in there and making calls is another thing. I don't feel up to this challenge and I am not feeling prepared. I don't want the role.

OH my gosh why didn't I see it. Thank you so much for your insightful suggestion. /gquit

Read this: https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/c...id-molten-core

Repeat each fight to your raiders. Kill boss. Collect loot.

There are no mechanics in MC, you need a person maybe to call out Bombs on Baron, but other than that its simply facerolling.

Serious suggestion: Why not just go in there and wing it your first week? They say it's pretty easy, there's only a few mechanics that hopefully your group will pick up quickly.
    If things go seriously badly, then do some research and kill it the next week. You don't need to kill Rag first time in there. There's tons of time.

There's only 4 things you need to do in MC as a raidlead:

1. Call which mobs to pull
    2. Repeat "Hug the fucking walls" like a Buddhist mantra
    3. Call out bombs on Geddon
    4. Tell warriors what to tank

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maren View Post
    I'm the GM of a guild who has 40+ people attuned and ready to raid. Alot of us have already cleared MC and Ony in pugs but because we have people with varying work schedules it's only less than half of us who have seen these fights. The majority of the people who will be raiding have not yet seen these bosses from the classic perspective and our biggest experience comes from watching videos. That said, none of us were raiding in Vanilla, including myself, and people love to place pressure on me as being the default RL since I am the GM of the guild. I'm trying to recruit a RL but so far there are no people to come forward. I need help!

Does anyone have any resources, videos, links anything I can ready, watch and gain information from? I mean, watching a video is one thing but actually getting in there and making calls is another thing. I don't feel up to this challenge and I am not feeling prepared. I don't want the role.
    just go in and autoattack .. vanilla raids are a joke anyway it can't even be called PvE the hardest part about Vanilla "PvE" is leveling and getting attuned other then that there is nothing else

Are all the fights with mass debuffs completely trivial or is asking mages and druids to decurse and priests and paladins to dispell still a thing?

Seem to remember a fight which had a debuff doubling resource costs, and another with a curse of doom like spell (maybe even the same fight).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The lava packs are harder than most the bosses.

You want people to have a set with 3500 health or they’ll get gibbed by lava packs and Geddon’s bomb.

Tank destroyers out of the raid.

Read my post “inherent loot problems in classic.”

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and do feral druids need to be cured of ignite mana?

- - - Updated - - -

Also is there a way to get a couple retail addons working for classic? I could use loggerhead, angry assignments, and EXRT.

The first two probably aren't hard to port...EXRT though is basically a professional tool suite.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Looking for a raid leader straight up will be pretty difficult. Your best bet is to lead the first raid yourself, and then see who steps up from within the guild (preferably an officer) to lead or help lead the second raid. After your veterans go through a raid once or twice they'll feel comfortable enough to lead.

Most Molten Core boss mechanics are:
    Dispel/Decurse it
    Don't stand in it
    Make it die real fast.

I believe Baron is the exception for the dispel. My guild in Classic had all the casters stand in a line and when they got the debuff they would run forward ~20 yards, say/type "DISPEL [NAME]" and then someone would slow fall them. Melee would just turn and run backwards 20 yards.

When the anniversary Molten Core came out I had to raid lead the LFG PuG because no one in my group had ever done Molten Core for real. We kept wiping so I said, "if everyone is willing to listen to me, I will raid lead and explain what to do." After that we 1 shot every boss and got the corehound. Molten Core is that easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I’d say just google this stuff. My guild went in and I did this shit fifteen years ago so I assumed it would be a joke. It wasn’t. Shazzrah wiped us a few times becsuse of trying that weird triangle strategy which we did end up making work. Then Domo was an issue as we couldn’t recall the kill and sheep order correctly. Rag we killed easily after our second week there though. We had him to 2% before he went under for sons so I imagine most just kill him before sons even spawn. He’s one you’ll need to know the right shit for though. Like placement for tanks and melee as well as having range spread out.

So yes while this is old and easy content you have to remember with 40 people the possibility for fuck ups skyrockets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Are all the fights with mass debuffs completely trivial or is asking mages and druids to decurse and priests and paladins to dispell still a thing?

Seem to remember a fight which had a debuff doubling resource costs, and another with a curse of doom like spell (maybe even the same fight).
    No you have to get dispels gojng or it’s gonna be a wipe for a lot of this stuff like Geddon. Luci, Gehennas, Geddon, Shazzrah, and I think that’s it for the dispel fights.

Looks like an actual, Classic experience to me. Not wanting to do it is one thing. Not knowing how to do it was everyone's problem in classic, aside from the EQ raid guilds that came to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post

For this first tier of raids everything is trivial. It was a big mistake on Blizzards part to start with 1.12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The key to leading a 40 man raid is delegation of duty. You can delegate the following:
    * Tank assignments (to the MT)
    * Kill target order and management (to the MA)
    * Healing and wipe recovery management (to the heal lead)
    * Trash clearing to hunter lead
    * Strategy (positioning, CC, etc)
    * Loot distribution and tracking
    * Roster and raid management
    It is absolutely possible to do all of these yourself or combine responsibilities, especially since MC and Ony are cake walks. You'll need to find the right balance for your raid's personalities. Whatever you do, make sure there is only one shot caller for a given phase of the raid (I mean trash clearing, boss fights, loot, formation, etc as opposed to phase of combat).

As for strategies and stuff, the fights are dead simple. A simple Google search will turn up adequate video guides for each fight.
    Last edited by time0ut; 2019-10-16 at 08:38 PM.

I would agree with the suggestion to use the wowhead guides. Watch youtube videos if you want.

There may be strats that are more attuned to a hardcore or casual guild that may suit your fancy as well.

Some one out of your 40 probably has some idea what they're doing. They'll speak up if needed if you're lucky

I found the key being an actual officer core that contributes to assisting you leading your raid. We went in week 1 after all of our officers either quit before 60, got 60 and got banned, or 100% bailed.. Just me and my GM managing at that time 60 people that wanted to raid.. it was absolutely a burnout for 2 weeks. My GM helped but just me and him was not near enough.. So now we have 6 of us managing every aspect of the guild.. I handle specifically the raid/invite/logs with another "ranged officer"/consumables with our bank guy/promotions/loot with all of them/debuffs and performance with the ranged officer. So you can see how i do not manage every aspect of raid. I do solely change and tweak strats and suggest someone doing XYZ, as well as call out any specific issue during these max 2 min fights.. First week was rough, but now with an officer core contributing, my job is extremely easy..

even loot, im not the masterlooter, i can be but otherwise my GM would have nothing to do in raid outside of stand there and talk about points and suggestions to individuals via majority whispers. Our Role leads and myself are the only vocal ones, unless an issue arises.

Once you have a good core to assist you as a raid leader its very very basic.. Use strats that benefit your raid not the top speed kill strats.. ease into those when you think your raid is ready.. Loot, find a loot system everyone can agree on that is fair and just for your raid goals.. We use a Loot council for important super good items, and free roll the rest with a loot lock so someone does just get lucky and jip everyone else on loot. Fine your best players for each role and give them a job if they are willing, just for that role. Tank assignments/healing assignments/dps for lock debuffs etc and to make sure no one is using something like mortal strike that a complete waste and they should be fury.

40 mans come down to delegation, 1 person doing all of it is extremely cancer, and very unfair.. especially if you are the GM as well, as you handle everything else in the guild. Once all of that stuff is done dude.. its ezpz, raids are stupid smooth. Im not even that vocal until i need to be.

At the same time communication with your officer core to determine whose job is what. Do they have a voice in raid? or are they more of an advisor on the raid. Do they just recruit? do they just lead the ranged during raid? just handle the Bank? All of that takes more weight off of you and allows for you to be GM and raid lead without all the stress.. (for example week 1 i spent atleast 2 hours of our 3 hour raid night typing to people while i was explaining strats and organizing groups) Doing it all yourself will just cause you to quit.

Find people that are active and willing.

TLDR inc

10+ Year Old Account
    Step 1. Enter the raid
    Step 2. Start killing stuff
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. Loot EPICS!

Or the more serious answer? Watch tactics vids. Mark targets, explain tactics, do a pull timer.
    Win? Profit.
    Wipe? Analyse what went wrong, talk to people if necessary.
    Repeat.
    And assign a separate person to handle loot. It's enough of a job that you'd be wise to dedicate someone to it.
    Last edited by Will; 2019-10-17 at 11:41 PM.

OH my gosh why didn't I see it. Thank you so much for your insightful suggestion. /gquit
    Dont throw a wobbly because someone points out an obvious suggestion. You asked for advice and opinions, its very immature to then get all sarcastic and childish because you didnt like one of the opinions. My advice is this - based on this reply, you have no place running a guild, let alone a raid team. You jumped in the deep end of the pool, and are now yelling out asking how to swim.

You need a Raid Leader, and the fact you are "gm" has nothing to do with that. Anyone can be a GM, they just started the guild - but it takes some leadership qualities to run a raid team long term, and i dont see any of those qualities in you, based on your attitude so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    raid leading is easy stuff, nothing to stress about. just relay the boss fight, mechanics, and your strategy along with how you plan to use healing cds and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Don't worry so much about the raid instance itself (it's the easiest raid ever made, watch vids and take basic notes and you'll be fine) but control negativity in the group. If you allow people to be toxic now, it will only grow. Nip that in the bud and you guys will rock it now and in the weeks to come, and you'll earn the respect of your raiders for not allowing the toxic personalities to control the group (and yes, it doesn't matter what guild you are, you will have toxic individuals, it's a sad reality in a 40 man raid group, but they can easily be managed).
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2019-10-18 at 01:54 AM.