Thread: Littering

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Littering

We Japanese believe we shouldn’t bother others by being lazy and neglecting the trash we’ve made.
    Pulled from "What Japan can teach us about cleanliness"

It always astounds me when I go out camping and people have left a giant mess. I'm a smoker and have been known for putting my butts in my pocket afterwards even while walking down the city streets if there is no bin available. But even I will admit to littering on purpose, though only cigarette butts and done in protest (Workplace absolved our outdoor smoking section and removed butt dispensers). On the flip side, I have seen people throwing trash out of car windows, or even opening their car door in the supermarket parking lot to shove trash out like it's some sort of dumping ground. Drink bottles, fast food trash, and grocery sack 'tumbleweeds' adorn the streets near my house.

What are your thoughts on litterbugs, and have you been guilty of it?

How do you think we can further improve on preventing litter?

Some US litter facts:
    -Plastic litter has increased by 165% since 1969, but overall litter levels have dropped 65%.
    -There is a projected cost of $11.5 billion in annual litter clean-up and prevention.
    -Estimates show that as much as 85% of littering behavior can be attributed to the individual (and conversely, 15% is accidental).
    -75% of people admitted that they littered in the past 5 years.
    -The most common object found during litter clean-up is fast food litter.

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the main rules of camping is pack out what you pack in. In delicate environments or places where you can't conveniently bury it, this extends all the way to your own poop, let alone actual trash.

There's no good excuse for littering. It's just laziness and antipathy.

People that litter should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

Screw fines if caught (or addition too), make them do clean up duty for a few weeks (but probably get a bunch of boo-hooing comparing it to a chain gang).
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2019-10-15 at 07:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just don't be assholes, collect your crap and teach your kids to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlesocks View Post
    You can barely find anywhere to throw your trash in Japan though. It took me forever to find somewhere to throw away what was left when I got a drink.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-10-15 at 07:49 PM.

Need heavy fines, that are actually enforced, for people littering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You can barely find anywhere to throw your trash in Japan though. It took me forever to find somewhere to throw away what was left when I got a drink.
    They take it back with them. Was to stop people dumping their own bags of rubbish, accumulating around bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Need heavy fines, that are actually enforced, for people littering.

- - - Updated - - -

They take it back with them. Was to stop people dumping their own bags of rubbish, accumulating around bins.
    Yeah, but as a tourist I can't really take my trash back with me to throw them away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Littering seems offensive, but hate to tell you, the rubbish you give to trashmen to pick up and dump, just end up being piled into even bigger landfills, or dumped in the ocean.

Think about that next time you think your making the world a better place by putting trash in a bin.

Also recycling is even worse, since the moral superiority it gives people for doing it, just hides the fact a lot of it ends up in same place as regular trash.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I think that there's a link that can actually track your own garbage and show you where it goes...(I think...somewhere?)

My rule of thumb that I've maintained since I was taught it as a kid is that whenever I look at something and think "ehhh, I don't want to do that" I have to remember that someone else will be stuck doing it instead, who will absolutely have the same reaction.

And so I pick up after myself, to prevent someone else having to pick up that same aluminum can 8 weeks later after it's been shredded into tiny rusty knives and spread across the grass by passing cars.

I've been like this ever since middle school, where I was making streaks on the floor with my shoes for fun, and the janitor made me clean up every last one of them in the entire, massive school. Never did it again, went as far as actively cleaning it up when I saw it because I'd think back to that janitor having to be the one to deal with it otherwise.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-16 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

It's lazy and the people doing it are trash, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    People that litter should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly.
    I second I say I SECOND this sentiment!

10+ Year Old Account

It always astounds me when I go out camping and people have left a giant mess. I'm a smoker and have been known for putting my butts in my pocket afterwards even while walking down the city streets if there is no bin available. But even I will admit to littering on purpose, though only cigarette butts and done in protest (Workplace absolved our outdoor smoking section and removed butt dispensers). On the flip side, I have seen people throwing trash out of car windows, or even opening their car door in the supermarket parking lot to shove trash out like it's some sort of dumping ground. Drink bottles, fast food trash, and grocery sack 'tumbleweeds' adorn the streets near my house.

I think litter bugs are self important assholes and ought to be ashamed of themselves and YES I have been guilty of it. In my later teens and early 20's I thought nothing of throwing cups or trash out of my car driving down the road, highway or fast food parking lots.

Honestly in my circumstance I would say more trash bins and in more convenient areas, however honestly that's in part an excuse on my part, I was just a lazy asshole.

I have since stopped doing that shit. I think part my thinking was that I am providing jobs for people doing who do community service clean up or at fast food. Again I was just a lazy asshole.

Some US litter facts:
    -Plastic litter has increased by 165% since 1969, but overall litter levels have dropped 65%.
    -There is a projected cost of $11.5 billion in annual litter clean-up and prevention.
    -Estimates show that as much as 85% of littering behavior can be attributed to the individual (and conversely, 15% is accidental).
    -The most common object found during litter clean-up is fast food litter

Yep that is me that is my fault in bold, and all I can say is I am very very very sorry, I never got arrested or cited for it, but I did then sorta and now totally understand how fucked up that was of me, and I own it.

Although I did NOT do it a lot at all.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Littering and.....littering and....

10+ Year Old Account
    I never litter. I will walk a mile until I find a trash can before disrespecting the earth and other people by dumping my trash by the wayside.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Littering seems offensive, but hate to tell you, the rubbish you give to trashmen to pick up and dump, just end up being piled into even bigger landfills, or dumped in the ocean.

Think about that next time you think your making the world a better place by putting trash in a bin.

Also recycling is even worse, since the moral superiority it gives people for doing it, just hides the fact a lot of it ends up in same place as regular trash.

Out of sight, out of mind.
    Dumped into the ocean is pretty bad...but I'd rather trash end up in landfills than on the streets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it isn't difficult to clean up after yourself. Just stop being lazy douches and pack a bag if you don't like having trash touching your stuff.

Then again, no matter how much we clean up, we have to focus on the government too, who purchases a service from another country to take their trash.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Some US litter facts:
    -The most common object found during litter clean-up is fast food litter.

[IMG]https://mish1100.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/20130602-100605.jpg[/]
    It drives me nuts a lot of people are litterbugs, you can even go to an earth-day event and find litter everywhere, fucking hypocrites.

When I drive along the road and see trash it make me wish they upped the fine, I also think people who get caught should be publicly shamed.

If it was like food or something I could understand and it will all disappear quick enough, but that much plastic is ridiculous. Not to mention most places where people camp have huge garbage bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yeah, but as a tourist I can't really take my trash back with me to throw them away.
    "Take back" means -Take it back to the nearest trashbin. Jesus fucking Christ how can you be obtuse about this?

I've been told numerously by international tourists that our United States national parks are incredibly clean compared to their home countries.