Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Don't be disingenuous. There's no "human right" to be given free reign with someone else's platform. I agree with your overall sentiment and I don't like what Blizzard did, but if you are going to hate them at least do it honestly.
    Nothing disingenuous, as I said in another thread this whole issue with Hong Kong especially over the last few months to a year hits close to home, especially with my girlfriend who has folks out there. She has thought about going back home to protest because she has friends involved in those protests and she cares a lot... too much sometimes.

The only disingenuous thing I see is how this whole outrage thing has played out I aint saying everyone should boycott everyone who is guilty of being against human rights, that'd be silly. I am personally not going to boycott Blizzard or Riot, But when I see 'Playing Riot games now because of Blizzard' tweets from people it blows my mind. It's the hypocrisy I just hate.

But I am getting off topic so I wont keep harking on. I'm going back to hiding in the Warcraft Reforged Megathread
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-10-16 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It;s the hypocrisy hate.
    You'd be surprised how much is general ignorance. Tencent's ownership with Riot isn't exactly hidden or secret, but it's also not something that's widely known by folks who aren't closely following gaming news either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You'd be surprised how much is general ignorance. Tencent's ownership with Riot isn't exactly hidden or secret, but it's also not something that's widely known by folks who aren't closely following gaming news either.

You are right... Ignorance and hypocrisy are just two massive pet peeves I hate and feel I gotta call out. It;s like one of those trigger scents, like putting blood in the water when there are sharks nearby lol.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Nothing disingenuous, as I said in another thread this whole issue with Hong Kong especially over the last few months to a year hits close to home, especially with my girlfriend who has folks out there. She has thought about going back home to protest because she has friends involved in those protests and she cares a lot... too much sometimes.

The only disingenuous thing I see is who this whole outrage thing has played out I aint saying everyone should boycott everyone who is guilty of being against human rights, that'd be silly. I am personally not going to boycott Blizzard or Riot, But when I see 'Playing Riot games now because of Blizzard' tweets from people it blows my mind. It;s the hypocrisy hate.

But I am getting off topic so I wont keep harking on.
    Gotcha. I thought you were saying a company choosing to bar certain topics to be brought up on their events and live broadcasts was a violation of human rights. But I see you meant it in the broader sense about this whole situation. I think most people who say that about supporting Riot over Blizz just don't know better. Most people have no idea what's really behind the finances for most companies, much less they'll know about video game companies in specific. I wouldn't call it hypocrisy but mostly ignorance though there's definitely some that aren't being honest.

Either way you are right, sorry for driving you offtopic with my own offtopic reply.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotcha. I thought you were saying a company choosing to bar certain topics to be brought up on their events and live broadcasts was a violation of human rights. But I see you meant it in the broader sense about this whole situation. I think most people who say that about supporting Riot over Blizz just don't know better. Most people have no idea what's really behind the finances for most companies, much less they'll know about video game companies in specific. I wouldn't call it hypocrisy but mostly ignorance though there's definitely some that aren't being honest.

Either way you are right, sorry for driving you offtopic with my own offtopic reply.
    No worries. I'm just venting

You are right... Ignorance and hypocrisy are just two massive pet peeves I hate and feel I gotta call out. It;s like one of those trigger scents, like putting blood in the water when there are sharks nearby lol.
    I hear you, but it's understandable in this case. Most people don't know who owns many of the companies they like, much less that they're owned by another entity (think: all those random ass companies you periodically hear about that you've literally NEVER heard of but still somehow own some of the largest, most well known corporations around). And most people who play a game like League, given its mass appeal, aren't going to be closely following game news, much less business related gaming news that's covered less frequently and less "sexy" for readers.

It's frustrating, but not everyone cares as much about this kinda stuff and that's fine. I'm interested since I find the business of games (and specifically MMO's/major online titles) fascinating and try to follow it closely. But of all my friends that game and even follow a lot of gaming news closely, most of them never notice/pay attention to the dry, business related announcement/news because that doesn't affect them. Game balance and new features/content matters, not who's signing the paychecks for the people making the game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Those arent mutually exclusive. Lol is a good example itself.
    you're right that they aren't, in extremely rare circumstances. Most of the time, it just results in a game that's too hard for casuals, and not fun for people who aren't.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    you're right that they aren't, in extremely rare circumstances. Most of the time, it just results in a game that's too hard for casuals, and not fun for people who aren't.
    Those rare circumstances are the top games at the moment. Rest in pieces battleborne and artifact

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Those rare circumstances are the top games at the moment. Rest in pieces battleborne and artifact
    I will miss battleborn, but pitchford just had to pick a fight with a corporation who could cheapshot and kneecap with practiced ease since they haven't had an original idea in a few decades.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Actually, yes, we needed another card game that is not that aggressive on the PAY WALL GATING.
    We needed this card game.

It seems so much fun.

A little bit of a story going on "live" about this game:
    Kripparrian fought Trump with an insane deck he made up that seems overpowered
    video:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Kripparrian

And then Trump got salty and implemented Krip's tech into one of his decks and made a Hybrid of the best of both worlds
    video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W889ApyEec

We are seeing "strategy-making" and "theory-crafting" happening LIVE.
    Exciting times

(i love card games)
    I mean evolving strategies are kind of a natural thing for new competitive games, specially card games. Though I'm not trying to disparage you. That aside... dude I really share your enthusiasm and I think people here are really overlooking the potential of this game. This game feels like a love child between HS and Yugioh, mixing the resource management of HS with the active gameplay of Yugi. And I absolutely love that. And it specially benefits from being a PC game over a normal card game as it helps keep the fast pace of the match in a more readable manner that will hopefully make it easier for the average player to get engaged with.

So. Yeah. It looks like a really exciting card game full of potential.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

I mean evolving strategies are kind of a natural thing for new competitive games, specially card games. Though I'm not trying to disparage you. That aside... dude I really share your enthusiasm and I think people here are really overlooking the potential of this game. This game feels like a love child between HS and Yugioh, mixing the resource management of HS with the active gameplay of Yugi. And I absolutely love that. And it specially benefits from being a PC game over a normal card game as it helps keep the fast pace of the match in a more readable manner that will hopefully make it easier for the average player to get engaged with.

So. Yeah. It looks like a really exciting card game full of potential.
    I share the same excitement as you.
    Things going for this game:

1-Artwork
    Makes Hearthstone cry in every way. Different styles, sure, but Riot games has the best artists in the world...AND you can check the FULL art mid game.

2-Card voice interactions
    Cards speak to eachother...its amazing

3-Easy to understand game, yet seems complex enough to make it interesting. Its just a little bit more complex than Hearthstone. A tiny bit.

4-Monetization
    If they keep their promisses...seems to be the best monetization out of all card games

Ive been watching streams and im very much excited (T_T) as you are

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not the rules that were the problem for Blizzard, it was their response that was the problem.

Riot is clearly laying out guidelines for what is/isn't acceptable. If Blizz had been as clear, this wouldn't have blown up the way it has.

We can agree that the rules may be shitty, but they're actually owned by a Chinese company, Tencent, so they're not playing by the same set of rules as Blizzard. And they haven't been as vocal about their "values" as Blizzard has either, especially in the wake of their internal harassment/sexism/etc. scandals.
    No it blew up because blizzard slapped him with a draconian sentence that clearly was meant to send a message.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

If there is one thing im kinda salty about Legends of Runeterra...is the promisses of Beta Access by watching streams.

"Watch Streams of Legends of Runeterra NOW and you MAY get a Beta access!!!"

Like...this should be forbidden.
    Its a clear manipulation to improve twitch views...its kinda disgusting...and its working! The game is top 3-4 on Twitch.

Im really salty about it. Kinda mad also.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    The League of Legends universe never caught my eye. Nothing really excites me from these announcements. :/
    if u go to their website and see the map of runeterra and then the art, holy moly good shit

also this website; https://sixmorevodka.com/ is the company i believe that halped riot with the card art for the card game and holy shit are they good look at it

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed playing League of Legends but the toxic community absolutely ruined it for me. I'd like to play solo or co-op games in Runeterra that don't involve PvP.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1-Artwork
    Makes Hearthstone cry in every way. Different styles, sure, but Riot games has the best artists in the world...AND you can check the FULL art mid game.

3-Easy to understand game, yet seems complex enough to make it interesting. Its just a little bit more complex than Hearthstone. A tiny bit.

4-Monetization
    If they keep their promisses...seems to be the best monetization out of all card games
    I'm not really a fan of the artwork or the artstyle, but that's subjective, and the ability to see the splash art was a detail that wasn't necessary but highly appreciated. However, the effects I do love. They went into so much detail for the champions. Garen's animations are spinning swords, Thresh animations pull souls from defeated cards, Teemo's mushrooms explode, given how many champions there are this was probably tons of work and it looks wonderful. And like you said the voice overs are champions dependent and reference the lore, as should be expected from a game about a 10 year old IP.

I disagree about the complexity though. It's definitely a lot more involved than HS and that's the similarity with Yugi that I see. Fast spells being played from the hand and turns allowing actions and reactions from both players in every step is going to require you to become familiar with all possible cards from the regions of the opponent's deck and all situations you may be getting baited into because they may spring a card that would force you to change your turn halfway through. While in HS, at least until last I played, a player is in complete control of what occurs during their turn (barring the "do X at random" cards) and there's no way to answer it in real time outside of secrets, which leads to things feeling very telegraphed.

I think you are underestimating how many "you activated my trap card" situations this kind of gameplay lends itself to. And that makes it feel a lot more dynamic and fun than HS!

I dunno much about the monetization though so I'll just hope you are right.

I never played the recent online MTG.
    How is the monetization there? Aggressive like Hearthstone?

I lack a better word...i call it "aggressive" (>_<)
    Have you checked out Eternal at some point? https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...nal_Card_Game/

Probably one of the better, generous F2P card games. Roughly based on magic and with ex-magic pro's on the design team.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I'm not really a fan of the artwork or the artstyle, but that's subjective, and the ability to see the splash art was a detail that wasn't necessary but highly appreciated. However, the effects I do love. They went into so much detail for the champions. Garen's animations are spinning swords, Thresh animations pull souls from defeated cards, Teemo's mushrooms explode, given how many champions there are this was probably tons of work and it looks wonderful. And like you said the voice overs are champions dependent and reference the lore, as should be expected from a game about a 10 year old IP.

I disagree about the complexity though. It's definitely a lot more involved than HS and that's the similarity with Yugi that I see. Fast spells being played from the hand and turns allowing actions and reactions from both players in every step is going to require you to become familiar with all possible cards from the regions of the opponent's deck and all situations you may be getting baited into because they may spring a card that would force you to change your turn halfway through. While in HS, at least until last I played, a player is in complete control of what occurs during their turn (barring the "do X at random" cards) and there's no way to answer it in real time outside of secrets, which leads to things feeling very telegraphed.

I think you are underestimating how many "you activated my trap card" situations this kind of gameplay lends itself to. And that makes it feel a lot more dynamic and fun than HS!

I dunno much about the monetization though so I'll just hope you are right.
    Yeah, i agree with you, its a lot more complex than HS.
    So far i think only ONE spell exists that completely eleminates and counters other spells.
    But there are a lot of "you activated my trap card" moments via buffs when the enemy least expects and other spells.

So far i saw...at least 8 or 9 different "gimmicks" and all seem to work.

I saw Stuns with yasuo
    Aggro with Jinx and Draven
    Karma generating random cards value (like rogue in hearthstone)
    Ephemeral units (that die at end of turn) but revive every turn while attacking with Zed and Hecarim Thresh
    Control Freljord units and spells
    Buffs buffs and more buffs
    Teemo builds (like hearthstone places "bombs" in your deck)
    Late game lifesteal minions (even if you are losing you will life steal to max life)

Ive seen a lot of things

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Have you checked out Eternal at some point? https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...nal_Card_Game/

Probably one of the better, generous F2P card games. Roughly based on magic and with ex-magic pro's on the design team.
    I really didnt know this one on steam and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    The League of Legends universe never caught my eye. Nothing really excites me from these announcements. :/
    Same, personally. Add to that the fact the two games announced are pvp-centered additions to decaying/saturated genres. And speaking of that, I find it funny how so many people criticized Blizzard for Heroes of the Storm being a copy of Dota/LoL, and now Riot is getting praise for announcing an Overwatch-like game, a Hearthstone-like game and by all appearances a Diablo-like game. Regardless, the diablo-like is the one that I have some interest on, but we don't have any details yet.

It's good for Blizzard to get some competition, don't get me wrong, just not particularly exciting =P

As to all the wonderful promises they make with the card game - remember that they are trying to make people play it. Of course they're going to say the monetization is amazing, and the gameplay is super unique and innovative, and it's skill based and not RNG.

I say let's wait and see how the game is when it's actually released, and especially how it evolves long term. Hearthstone wasn't that bad when it released either (even if it did allow whales to spend a boatload of cash without any limitation, props to Riot for that), but as weeks pass and patches/expansions get added that might change - especially for those who don't play it a lot, or for new players.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2019-10-17 at 10:26 AM.

I share the same excitement as you.
    Things going for this game:

1-Artwork

4-Monetization

Ive been watching streams and im very much excited (T_T) as you are
    Riot certainly does not have the best artists. I rank their art pretty low in my subjective opinion. LoL looks even worse than Dota 2 andI think the latter looks bad.