Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Smile New Weapons of the Ebon Blade

In the latest 8.3 PTR build, there were some interesting items datamined. Four new 2h Weapons, specific to Death Knights, all at item level 58.
    • Unholy Blade of the Ebon Blade
    • Crimson Blade of the Ebon Blade
    • Burning Blade of the Ebon Blade
    • Freezing Blade of the Ebon Blade

From these items, it's easy to extrapolate a few things.
    Firstly, there's likely at least a minor rework for the DK starting area. We also had datamined NPC models for Allied Race DKs, so likely at least something relevant to that. For that to make sense, however, many parts of the starting area would have to be reworked for it to evidence Bolvar as the Lich King rather than Arthas.

Secondly, the Freezing (Frost) Variant for this weapon is 2H.
    This is confusing to me as this is 8.3. Even if they intended to make Frost playable as 2H again, they wouldn't do it in the last patch, but rather wait til the 9.0 pre-patch.

Thirdly, there's a fourth weapon (even though the three DK specs are accounted for). "Burning Blade of the Ebon Blade". There's two possible reasons. First is the most obvious. It's handed to you by Bolvar himself, the man on fire. The dragon fire surrounding him has permanently lit the blade on fire.
    The next possible reason is a bit of a stretch: possible Fire spec for DKs.
    It's anti-typical of DKs to have a fire spec, but with Bolvar as Lich King, technically possible?

Either way, new datamines are weird.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Yeah, this burning blade is of intrigue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Yeah, this burning blade is of intrigue to me.
    You're right. That one hints at a lot of stuff.

For one thing, Bolvar. His thing is fire. So a fire blade would mean his involvement.

It could also be hinting at a fourth spec.
    Now that's a whole can of worms right there. What spec would it be? Are other classes getting fourth specs?
    This is probably not going to be a thing, of course. But there is a small chance.

Edit: Wowhead and some pics here:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=295682/...n-blade-swords

10+ Year Old Account
    I think what's likely is that the DK starting zone will remain the same, untouched. Those DKs are the main race and are "third generation" DKs.

Then, there'll be a new starting zone where Darion, on Bolvar's command, is raising new DKs for the Ebon Blade from the Allied Races. I think it will be separate and updated to work with the post-BfA world. These will be "fourth generation" DKs, made under LK Bolvar as opposed to LK Arthas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

for 8.3 and BfA these will purely be transmog that tie in with the upcoming expansion and Bolvar connection.

There are transmogs added in Legion https://www.wowhead.com/item=141372/...the-ebon-blade that added Blood, Unholy, and Frost variants of 1 and 2-handed weapons

For 9.0 this may lead to 2H versions of the specs, but who knows at this stage

The Fire blade is interesting, however. Makes sense considering Bolvar has been reborn in the flames of the Red Dragonflight

I wouldn't read too hard into the weapons. I'd love to get 2H Frost or a new DK spec, but it could just be a cosmetic thing or even just generic quest rewards.

Pretty. I'm always in favor of new weapons/armor transmogs, even if made for specific classes.

Then once you collect all 4, they combine and become Bladey blade of the Ebon Blade. Seriously though, all this new DK stuff. I wish I could still play my DK.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    1 - 4 spec of death knights using hellfire
    2 - something like green fire from warlocks where you change the ice skin for fire skin
    3 - DK rework using fire.

if the Death knights starting area is a given, then hope every race is also getting new starting ares, and i hope its all pt of the world revamp.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2019-10-17 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    You're right. That one hints at a lot of stuff.

For one thing, Bolvar. His thing is fire. So a fire blade would mean his involvement.

It could also be hinting at a fourth spec.
    Now that's a whole can of worms right there. What spec would it be? Are other classes getting fourth specs?
    This is probably not going to be a thing, of course. But there is a small chance.

Edit: Wowhead and some pics here:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=295682/...n-blade-swords
    Sadly it probably means we are getting 4th specs and potentially a cheap excuse for not adding a new class.

I wouldn't dismiss the fourth spec so easily, it would make a lot of sense for a lot of classes to get a fourth spec, and a fire spec would serve to distinguish death knights even further from necromancers.

I can see earth shamans, maybe a holy offensive caster to show that holy can be used to damage as well, maybe a blood mage to warlock or mage... who knows... I think the hate would be great, but people would like it, pretty much the same situation that we had with the allied races

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing the normal three blades are the green starting weapons for the new DK experience, the burning blade is the blue version that they get further into the story, after proving themselves to Bolvar or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I'm guessing the normal three blades are the green starting weapons for the new DK experience, the burning blade is the blue version that they get further into the story, after proving themselves to Bolvar or something.
    As of right now they are all rare weapons, not uncommon. Could be subject to change, although.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Then once you collect all 4, they combine and become Bladey blade of the Ebon Blade. Seriously though, all this new DK stuff. I wish I could still play my DK.
    Even if 2H frost is back (my go-to spec for a long time), I won't roll it unless they remove Breath of Syndragosa. Hate the super low APM playstyle.

Hellfire 4th spec or Dragon Knight cosmetic (a la Green Fire) would be my guesses.

It could be a hint of which allied race is getting DK. As burning blade of the ebon blade screams Maghar to me.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they are adding a spec or new playstyle, the current DK ones shouldn't go away IMO.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

What would fire DK be? Primarily DoT based DPS? Caster? Healer through the power of the red dragonflight?

It's intriguing to be sure... why 4 weapons when there have always been 3? If it's a 4th spec, flames aren't really in the DK theme at all. It's actually making me think that the leak claiming the 4th specs will be Dragon themed aren't that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Sadly it probably means we are getting 4th specs and potentially a cheap excuse for not adding a new class.
    I dunno. Depends on how many classes are getting them. A 4th DK spec that maybe healing a la the red dragons' breath of life, a ranged shockadin spec for Paladins. Maybe a Warlock drain tank spec (probably not). Perhaps even give warriors Gladiator back as a full bore spec instead of a single talent. A melee based "spellblade" spec for mages? Hunters? Blah. Who cares about hunters? Wu Jen for Monks (That would be a caster class), or maybe some kind of ninja more similar to hunters *cringe* for rogues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    flames aren't really in the DK theme at all