View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The DUP won't back this deal.

It's DoA in the Commons, expect the Benn act to kick in.
    The Surrender/Benn Act doesn't apply to the EU though and they have said...

Jean-Claude Juncker says the EU will NOT offer a Brexit delay beyond Halloween if MPs reject Boris Johnson's new deal that ditches the hated Irish backstop.

So the remainer majority in parliament are really going to vote this deal down in favour of no deal? Warms the cockles of me heart it does, roll on Saturday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-customs.html

It's checkmate I'm telling ya...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pity it's not Juncker's position to grant or refuse extensions really then, isn't it?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Also, he will grant an extension after they vote for a second referendum on Saturday
    'Hearing People's Vote campaigners might not push for a second ref vote this weekend, they may just put efforts into defeating the Johnson deal'

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...41118913044480

Even if they do try to tack on a ref. it is far from certain that it would pass in the HoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's legendarily awful, still the level of weapons-grade nonsense he's spouting seems too high even for Britain. I wonder if there's some equivalent of Breitbart in the UK.
    Well his last post has answered the question. It comes from the daily mail
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Pity it's not Juncker's position to grant or refuse extensions really then, isn't it?
    I would not discount the impact Juncker's words might have on those MPs who are fearful of a no-deal Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I would not discount the impact Juncker's words might have on those MPs who are fearful of a no-deal Brexit.
    Junker's words (as reported by the BBC's speed over quality reporters) and Junker's words (what he actually said) are two different things, fortunately.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-10-17 at 03:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, start at the top and work your way down. Boris will be quite busy right now suppported by Juncker lobbying the EU27 leaders.

https://twitter.com/BrugesGroup/stat...95104609030150

After the highly respected President Juncker countenances no extension and it's this deal or no deal, not one of the 27 will come out publicly before Saturday and say they will veto an extension request? Macron doesn't appear to need any excuse, I'd bet on him for one.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Also, he will grant an extension after they vote for a second referendum on Saturday
    Honestly it makes a lot of sense to do a second referendum. This is the options the new deal, no deal or remain. Now the options can be clearly laid out and so everybody knows exactly what they are voting for not some random fantasy brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing simple about a three way referendum and nothing easy about eliminating any of those three options.
    It'd be fairly simple if they used a decent voting system instead of first past the post though, but that's an entirely different subject

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing simple about a three way referendum and nothing easy about eliminating any of those three options.
    The options are this deal or remain. No deal was never countenanced in the original referendum, even by Farage's lunatics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It'd be fairly simple if they used a decent voting system instead of first past the post though, but that's an entirely different subject
    The referendum has nothing to do with FPTP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Polls show No Deal higher than leaving with a deal, don't they?
    In polls where the options are between Remain, No Deal and A Deal. Because half the voters pick remain, and the leave voters are split.

I mean, if you want to make the referendum that, then go for it, it'd be bullshit but it'd guarantee remain wins and I'm happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Verbally inside the UK customs area, but applying EU tariffs and VAT on all goods "at risk of entering the single market" - so basically everything, plus level playing field alignment between EU and NI, regardless if rest of UK diverges.

"No British Government could or should sign up to something like this" - if you agreed with Johnson then, god knows why you agree with him now.
    Because Dribbles is the world champion at shifting goalposts. No deal is the best thing ever, a terrible deal is even better and a worst deal is even bettererest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Because Dribbles is the world champion at shifting goalposts. No deal is the best thing ever, a terrible deal is even better and a worst deal is even bettererest.
    You have that confused. No deal is best, Boris's shambles of a deal is next best, and May's deal which while objectively better than Boris's, is next, and the worst of all worlds is clearly to remain.

In his ideal world, the result of negotiations with the EU post no-deal would result in a deal worse than a WTO agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I don't want to make the referendum anything given that it's not really my business. I am just saying that discounting No Deal while moving for a referendum is not an easy option. You could just as well say that there should be a referendum between this deal and no deal so that the first referendum is respected and we just take the results of the negotiations to the people. Heck if I was Johnson and was expecting a motion for a people's vote, I'd consider preempting them by offering such a referendum.
    No deal isn't really a thing anyway, because ultimately, a deal has to be agreed post-leaving. Boris's and May's deals are both interim agreements, one of which we'd pick up on November 1st if no deal were to happen, because that's what we'd be given.

It is fair to rule it out in that respect, because it's not something that could ever really happen, and going in-perpetuity into no-deal territory would just be invoking a purely vindictive policy which has no right to exist.

Of course it's simple, people rank their favourite and second favourite choices. If no single result gets more than 50% of the vote the lowest scorer is eliminated and whoever chose them has their second choice counted.

So let's say the referendum first round result looks like this -
    Remain - 43%
    Deal - 32%
    No Deal - 25%

No-one gets more than 50%, No Deal comes last so it's taken off the table. People who had No Deal as their first choice have their second choice counted. Round 2 looks like this -
    Deal - 52%
    Remain - 48%

The Deal gets more than 50% of the vote and wins the referendum.

If the electorate can't understand something as simple as a first and second choice then we should just pack in the whole democracy idea and hand power back to the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You have that confused. No deal is best, Boris's shambles of a deal is next best, and May's deal which while objectively better than Boris's, is next, and the worst of all worlds is clearly to remain.

In his ideal world, the result of negotiations with the EU post no-deal would result in a deal worse than a WTO agreement.
    Anything that allows millionaires to avoid paying taxes and ensures the politicians selling us out get nice fat consultancies and dinner speech fees from the corporations that get to pick over the carcass.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Of course it's simple, people rank their favourite and second favourite choices. If no single result gets more than 50% of the vote the lowest scorer is eliminated and whoever chose them has their second choice counted.

So let's say the referendum first round result looks like this -
    Remain - 43%
    Deal - 32%
    No Deal - 25%

No-one gets more than 50%, No Deal comes last so it's taken off the table. People who had No Deal as their first choice have their second choice counted. Round 2 looks like this -
    Deal - 52%
    Remain - 48%

The Deal gets more than 50% of the vote and wins the referendum.

If the electorate can't understand something as simple as a first and second choice then we should just pack in the whole democracy idea and hand power back to the Queen.
    Wishful thinking much? No deal wouldn't come last but in fact be the most popular option.

You’re ignoring the 12% dont know and 18% hold 2nd referendum, these are marginal voters and unknown, thats 30% you cannot place.

That’s only 34% for a no deal brexit. Dont know and new referendum wont be on the ticket, your ignorance is showing

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wishful thinking much? No deal wouldn't come last but in fact be the most popular option.

Really - how would the people who prefer renegotiation vote if that isn't an option, ditto with the second referendum people as we are talking about the second referendum happening? Also would none of the No Deal people switch to Boris's deal as you're crowing about how magnificent it is?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

That picture is just a perfect example of how fucked up everything is.

The answers apart from the first, fifth and sixth aren't even workable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I really haven't been paying attention for months (ever?) so correct me here if I'm wrong but was Theresa Mays deal accepted by the EU but didn't get through parliament or was it rejected by the EU. I had thought it was the latter, in which case why on earth is it even on polls anyway. TBF if it was the former, why on earth is it on polls anyway?

Why are we looking at polls that started back in July anyway? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.