Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is there any difference in threat mechanic at classic compared to retail?

do you generate threat on mobs that you don't hit?

I notice sometimes when I pull that mobs stick on the one who pulled even if they get hit by someone else

They have reworked the way threat has worked something like 3 times now

Yes.

If a mob is in combat (with anyone) and you generate threat on another mob within range of the first mob (tagged by another) your threat will appear on the threat tables of both in-combat creatures.

Which is how you can have people run near you, mobs evade off them and run straight to you evern though you didn't tag/hit them.

Threat generated depends on the class you're playing and the coefficient of the spell/action.
    Last edited by endorus; 2019-10-16 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No major differences.

Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    Yes.

If a mob is in combat (with anyone) and you generate threat on another mob within range of the first mob (tagged by another) your threat will appear on the threat tables of both in-combat creatures.

Which is how you can have people run near you, mobs evade off them and run straight to you evern though you didn't tag/hit them.

Threat generated depends on the class you're playing and the coefficient of the spell/action.
    Does this mean that when I pull a pack within a dungeon and generate threat with one mob, the threat is also transfered to the other mobs? (I mean after the pull too) or does this work only when the mobs are not tagged by me or during the pull?

What basically I'm asking is that aoe is not needed to actually tank multiple mobs efficiently?
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2019-10-16 at 10:10 PM.

You need to hit mobs to generate the kind of threat requires to hold them against DPS or heals.

Any small amount of threat generated by proximity or hitting another mob is insignificant unless nobody in your group is doing anything at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing aggro is a thing. If the tank doesn't at least smack the other mob it'll run off and go after your healer
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I would love to see the reference client for a few minutes, but since that's not gonna happen...

I do not recall Onyxia wiping threat via fireballs. Although it's completely possible my d------ guild in vanilla just didn't have a clue.

Also some of the way the mobs train and evade doesn't seem quite right but I can't be sure of that.

I've also tried to remember how kiting Drakkisath worked in the day, because I thought there was a way to do it that healing aggro didn't matter, but I'm very very unsure of that memory.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    I've also tried to remember how kiting Drakkisath worked in the day, because I thought there was a way to do it that healing aggro didn't matter, but I'm very very unsure of that memory.
    To answer this part, healing aggro is much like ranged aggro; once the healer reaches 130% of the tanks threat, the mob will react towards the healer. In your specific scenario, the hunter or mage hits Drakkisath (the only player to do so), then runs to the Beasts room. When they get there they feign death or ice block. This causes Drakkisathto return to his room to work on the next threat actor.

While kiting, Drakkisath is not within range of any other threat actor. So the only players on his list are the kiter and the tank (who got on the list at pull when they hit the others). So he should run back to the tank and not the healer. If the healer casts a bomb of a heal when Drakkisath enters the healers range, he may react towards them instead. But it’s simple for the healer to stand with the tank between them and the incoming boss for ease of pick up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Does this mean that when I pull a pack within a dungeon and generate threat with one mob, the threat is also transfered to the other mobs? (I mean after the pull too) or does this work only when the mobs are not tagged by me or during the pull?

What basically I'm asking is that aoe is not needed to actually tank multiple mobs efficiently?
    Using buffs will generate threat on all tagged mobs nearby, debuffing mobs also generates threat, as does rage/mana generation. Healing generates aggro but it splits to all mobs engaged. Obviously, dealing damage generates threat.

AoE is not "needed" to tank multiple mobs, you have to split your threat on them, charging in and spammung sunder on a skull target is not going to cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Hahahahaha!!!
    The difference is that the mob wont stick like glue on you after you give it the eye

Tanks had their threat multiplier augmented to +500% and more, I stopped paying attention when the game stopped doing it for me.
    In classic for warrior tank, threat in defensive stance is increased by 1.3 and you can further increase it via talents to another 1.15 by spending 5(!!!) of your talents! So you actually increase your threat by 49,5% vs the 500%+ in retail. Furthermore, since threat is greatly related to damage, note that in defensive stance warriors do 10% less damage and as such less threat (general rule is 1 damage = 1 threat), so the actual 49,5% buff on threat is even smaller!

About the threat mechanic, once a mob is threat capped by you, meaning you have so much threat on it that even by stop hitting it till its dead there is not enough remaining health to generate more threat than your current number, and you will not lose agro. I believe this is the case in retail too but the amount of threat tanks do by just autoattacking is enough to threatcap the mob after 2 or 3 hits.

The challenge on modern tanks is to run around like crazy to gather enough adds for aoe delights and survive.

Here's another question...is healing aggro divided evenly among all mobs are just applied to all mobs?

Like if the tank has 10 mobs on him and I heal for 10 health, do I get 1 aggro on each mob or 10?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Is threat really even still a thing in live WoW? It has been a while since I've played, but I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of problems related to people pulling aggro off a tank (unless it's just something dumb like a non-tank player accidentally hitting a taunt button).

"threat" itself seems to work okay.

"aggro" on the other hand is VERY buggy. As others said, you seemingly enter the aggro table of mob if you do something in their vicinity, even if you shouldn't.
    I have seen several instances where I pickpocket a mob, am not in combat, then I go to fight a different mob far away, the initial one doesn't move, but someone else attacks it and now I'm suddenly in a fight with it. Somehow.

Threat works like this: if you take an action directly at a mob, you gain a "major" amount of threat to that specific mob. If you do something passive or directly to your group (or people around you), say buff them (Warrior shout for example) or cast a heal, you'll have threat spread amongst all the mobs in range of you. Nearly every action in the game causes threat in some way. One amusing thing to do is get a threat meter, be a tank, have a mage frost nova a pack of mobs, and bandage yourself to watch your threat go up on the meter.

This is why tanking can be difficult on more than a group of 3 for most people. If the group is smart, they'll give you a chance to rotate on all the targets and get some damage on them or sunder/maul/SoR along with your Demo shout/swipe/consecration. Most people have no patience and immediately cast their AOE or will not target the target the tank is attacking first. If the DPS has passed the threshold of your threat (It's 110% on retail, seems to be closer to 90-100% on Classic), you will lose aggro and need to deal enough threat to surpass them again. Learning which spells do the highest amount of threat for the cheapest resource cost is key. As a warrior tank, I generally do not pull packs of 5+ mobs without Bloodrage up so that I can get a decent amount of Demo/Sunder threat on the majority before needing to taunt something that the offending AOE person couldn't give me another 2-3 seconds to establish a threat lead on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

This is correct. This is why when you heal your self in classic next to any mob(s) who are attacking someone else and whom you have not even touched, if that said person evades/dies, all the mobs will turn and attack you even though you didnt do anything to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Yes.

That got me killed a bunch of times during 6.2. I'd be up on the Throne of Kil'jaeden questing or farming and some moron would run by with a pack of elite demons on his tail. My passive heal aura would tick on him, which would lead to me ending up dead when the mobs stopped chasing him and came back to me.

Read: https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/t...ew-classic-wow

Honestly, there are so many things that could acount for what you describe, like a battle shout or similar. Read the link, it has much info.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    do you generate threat on mobs that you don't hit?

I notice sometimes when I pull that mobs stick on the one who pulled even if they get hit by someone else
    As a tank you need to generate threat on all mobs. You'll have a very limited base level of threat from just pulling but you need to keep threat up on all mobs otherwise your healer will eventually pull from just healing or if you have a class that cleaves or multi dots you'll loose threat to them as well and have mobs running all over the place. Tanking in classic is nothing like retail and you will fight your dps for threat if you're not a great tank. As a lock who like to multi dot I can instantly tell the difference from a mediocre tank and a great tank as I won't get aggro from multi dotting.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    As a tank you need to generate threat on all mobs. You'll have a very limited base level of threat from just pulling but you need to keep threat up on all mobs otherwise your healer will eventually pull from just healing or if you have a class that cleaves or multi dots you'll loose threat to them as well and have mobs running all over the place. Tanking in classic is nothing like retail and you will fight your dps for threat if you're not a great tank. As a lock who like to multi dot I can instantly tell the difference from a mediocre tank and a great tank as I won't get aggro from multi dotting.
    Tell me about it.... when i cast my first Flash Heal when doing a dungeon i always know what my fate will be xD

Thankfully there's Fade!