Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but you must have been fucked in your eyepussies if you look at Riot's TCG and think that it looks better than HS. And I'm not even a Riot hater. Its just simple fact. Riot's TCG looks like undercooked alpha in terms of interface and visual.

Its just the RIOT variant of whatever is popular on twitch.

It will probably be the same boring garbage as the ones they are trying to copy.

Opening packs and rng is the most fun part of card games as frustrating as it can be at times and they’re taking that away. Might as well just play chess.

I poked at DOTA 2 and LoL from a distance. Never could get into either. DOTA 2 threw newcomers off of a learning curve cliff, and the game just doesn't feel fun to play with exhausting 45+ minute long games which are emotionally draining when you lose, hero movement feels unresponsive, obtuse mechanics and strategies, etc. LoL's microtransaction policy of having to buy heroes with cash or by grinding was a barrier of entry and just made me look elsewhere. Not to mention, ofcourse, the infamous reputation of MOBA communities. The only MOBA I only ever got into was HotS. I was already invested in HotS from the start because it featured characters I already knew and loved and removed a lot of the complexity. I joined HotS during the beta period, so I was able to hop on the train before there were a billion heroes to keep track of and before the "buy or grind heroes" paywall became insurmountable, but then Blizzard killed it with the 2.0 rework and lootboxes and all that jazz and I left and never looked back.

Cool on Riot for introducing new games, but given they all seem to be based on the LoL universe, I'm not particularly invested. No lootboxes for their magic game is nice, but once I again it comes with the baggage of LoL lore, which is a turn off for me. I've never had a fun time playing a traditional fighting game, only had a little bit of fun playing Smash, and that was when I was being beaten up by my friends. The FPS seems interesting because it's a new IP with no prior baggage, but I'm also somewhat turned off by the low TTK Counterstrike/Crossfire reflex gameplay, which I've had more than my fill of.

Good for those who are excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Riot Games becoming another major online game developer on PC platform which is good, maybe we will see an MMO project from them some day in the future. I'm glad they went with Tencent instead of Activation or EA, these companies are a complete cancer nowadays overrun by greed to the point of insanity.
    lol my naive child, tencent owns majority of EA and activation, along with many many other companies like Disney, WB ,Ubisoft and supersell.

in our friends circle we call it "the world eater" and for good reason!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Welcome to the game industry that is completely steered from casual gaming now
    You say that as if Games haven't been casual since the Early 90's.

Interested to see their take on card games. Also intrigued to see what happens with the fighting game. If it'll follow the same model as LoL, then I'll have something to play with my brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Opening packs and rng is the most fun part of card games as frustrating as it can be at times and they’re taking that away. Might as well just play chess.
    ikr, card games are the only thing id have rng in lol, i remeber opening old school packs of pokemon and yugioh cards, good times

10+ Year Old Account
    They all look and sound shitty.

Can forgive the looking shit part, as it's just early stuff we are seeing.

Always hoped Riot would make a MMO at some point, as Classic WoW is the only decent MMO we have on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    They all look and sound shitty.

Can forgive the looking shit part, as it's just early stuff we are seeing.

Always hoped Riot would make a MMO at some point, as Classic WoW is the only decent MMO we have on the market.
    Riot is owned by Tencent, which is a Chinese company.
    How exactly would they monetize an MMO without making it a f2p grindfest with microtransactions?!

Once again...CHINESE company. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Riot certainly does not have the best artists. I rank their art pretty low in my subjective opinion. LoL looks even worse than Dota 2 andI think the latter looks bad.
    sorry, but i consider you insane
    Just look at this...its beautiful

Every card is a league splashart...how can even this people acomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

Sure, it looks good, but it also looks generic. Looks interchangeable with a DOTA character or something you'd find on Deviantart.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Sure, it looks good, but it also looks generic. Looks interchangeable with a DOTA character or something you'd find on Deviantart.
    There is nothing generic about "perfection" i only think like this because i draw part-time and i can only dream of having this much drawing skill.
    I will die before reaching this level of mastery

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Obvious, but there are heavy chances each one will flop or do mediocre. Especially when it comes to that fighting game.
    The one thing Riot has always done well is eSports. They're great at marketing them, publicising them and have some solid production values.

The one thing Fighting games have always done poorly, in my opinion, is eSports. Theres always an amaturish screw up at EVO. Every single year. This year they landed Tekken 7's director Harada in hot water, got on David Hayters shit list, angered Bandai Namco and Konami while also pissing off the fans there with a horrendously mistimed prank that overshadowed the finals of Tekken 7.

A company like Riot with the skills and the knowhow have the potential to reach a much greater audience and hopefully expand interest in the genre beyond the relatively minor market share it has at the moment. I suppose the better question would be "is Riots Fighting game going to be at EVO?". It may well be that Riot run their own eSports scene separate from the established Fighting Game circuit. I do worry that may be determental to the community as a whole rather than a positive influence.

From the footage, it's definately got that Rising Thunder vibe to it. The art style and animations are very similar. At the same time though it has also captured what makes LoL Champions fun. Darius gets to dunk people, Jinx has long range juggles and Katarina has teleports. I'm cautiously optimistic for it, even it's too early to really say if it looks good or bad from the limited gameplay footage we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I mean, the brief clips they showed looked pretty nice, but is the League IP enough to compete with these visuals and this pedigree?
    Ever since Xrd, Guilty Gear has been smashing it out of the park in the visuals department. Though I have to admit, BlazBlue is starting to look very dated - I don't think Ragna has had an updated sprite in like... 10 years now? They're even using the same one in BBXTag.

Riots fighter, currently, is a reskinned version of Rising Thunder. They've already said that they're "going dark" on it during the announcement, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Realistically, I don't think they're going to come out looking anything like as good as GG, but what does?

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    The one thing Riot has always done well is eSports. They're great at marketing them, publicising them and have some solid production values.

The one thing Fighting games have always done poorly, in my opinion, is eSports. Theres always an amaturish screw up at EVO. Every single year. This year they landed Tekken 7's director Harada in hot water, got on David Hayters shit list, angered Bandai Namco and Konami while also pissing off the fans there with a horrendously mistimed prank that overshadowed the finals of Tekken 7.

A company like Riot with the skills and the knowhow have the potential to reach a much greater audience and hopefully expand interest in the genre beyond the relatively minor market share it has at the moment. I suppose the better question would be "is Riots Fighting game going to be at EVO?". It may well be that Riot run their own eSports scene separate from the established Fighting Game circuit. I do worry that may be determental to the community as a whole rather than a positive influence.

From the footage, it's definately got that Rising Thunder vibe to it. The art style and animations are very similar. At the same time though it has also captured what makes LoL Champions fun. Darius gets to dunk people, Jinx has long range juggles and Katarina has teleports. I'm cautiously optimistic for it, even it's too early to really say if it looks good or bad from the limited gameplay footage we've seen so far.

Ever since Xrd, Guilty Gear has been smashing it out of the park in the visuals department. Though I have to admit, BlazBlue is starting to look very dated - I don't think Ragna has had an updated sprite in like... 10 years now? They're even using the same one in BBXTag.

Riots fighter, currently, is a reskinned version of Rising Thunder. They've already said that they're "going dark" on it during the announcement, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Realistically, I don't think they're going to come out looking anything like as good as GG, but what does?
    Riot is very.. possessive of its esports. What you see now with players competing in multiple different fighting games at the same time is not something I expect Riot will allow with their new game.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Riot is very.. possessive of its esports. What you see now with players competing in multiple different fighting games at the same time is not something I expect Riot will allow with their new game.
    That's very true.

On the other hand, they also have Tom and Tony Cannon working on this project, along with Seth Killian. These guys know the FGC inside and out. I expect them to be very influential in how the community around the game takes shape.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. We've got very few details about the game itself, let alone any potential eSports.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post

Well, IMO BBTag is basically a stopgap while Mori plans whatever comes next for the BB franchise. It's an easy way to get some extra life out of old assets, experiment with gameplay, and keep money flowing. I expect in another year or two we'll see a new BB property on UE4, assuming he doesn't go off the wall and make it an RPG.

My main interest in the Riot fighter is how it may shape fighting game monetization and esports going forward, since Riot and League have already established such a big presence outside of the FGC. Will they try and make their way into existing tournaments with EVO as the end goal, will they piggyback on their existing infrastructure and hold their own finals? Will they push into the Korean scene, which currently doesn't have much FGC representation? For me, the game itself is rather secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

There's really nothing extraordinary about that picture aside from technical merits. I am just looking at this as a random video game fan not an artist.

7+ Year Old Account
    The fighting game is the only one i would want to play, if it's good. It better have good netcode.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    I would not say that. The big change in the market came with smartphones. Since then more people bought consoles, PC gaming was more popular, and since that a lot of companies just jump on hypewaggons.
    More People using something doesn't make it more casual. It just became more accessible to play games.