Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why cartoons/anime over real people?

Like I know it's a niche already, but from someone who's skeptical, what do things like cartoons (of all kinds) have that would make people think "I want to watch this over cinema? Like a unique appeal or trait that can't be replicated by actors or humans in general. And no I don't think just the fact it's drawn counts, it has to really be something unique to itself.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2019-10-17 at 06:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beautiful art styles, animations you can't see when using real people, sometimes you're just bored of real people.

Plus I like listening to the Japanese language, which I'm trying to learn aswel so that's a plus for me.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

5+ Year Old Account
    The same reason you play world of warcraft over more realistic MMO/RPG games.

It's a simple preference of media.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

A unique visual style. Animation can often be a lot more expressive and articulate than live action performances, not to mention having the freedom to depict whatever it wants without as much concern for building sets, shooting on location, or investing in special effects. Like with any visual medium, there's a lot of artistry that goes into it, and it's fun to see what different animation studios can come up with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because media keeps using stars, as we are sick of seeing same people in different movie.
    It kills the immersion.
    However one show recently did it pretty well without humans:

So no, you dont need animated characters or cartoons to make a good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    A unique visual style. Animation can often be a lot more expressive and articulate than live action performances, not to mention having the freedom to depict whatever it wants without as much concern for building sets, shooting on location, or investing in special effects. Like with any visual medium, there's a lot of artistry that goes into it, and it's fun to see what different animation studios can come up with.
    so why does Hollywood and social media deem it all kids shit then?

If it's even moderately violent, I typically can't stomach something that looks too real or feels too real. Good example would be several seens in game of thrones like when Ramsay Bolton puts the dogs on a little girl and they rip her apart, you don't even actually see it happening, but you know what's going on, and personally I just feel sick.

If you were to do the same exact seen on the Simpson's, I wouldn't feel the same way, and that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Like I know it's a niche already, but from someone who's skeptical, what do things like cartoons (of all kinds) have that would make people think "I want to watch this over cinema? Like a unique appeal or trait that can't be replicated by actors or humans in general. And no I don't think just the fact it's drawn counts, it has to really be something unique to itself.
    Because a story's medium (whether that be classical cinema, CGI, animation, books, graphic novels, or even computer games) does not necessarily dictate quality. If the story and characters are good, the medium is secondary at best. Additionally, some things are better presented via animation (q.v. Avatar: The Last Airbender). I don't seek out animation, nor do I avoid it. What I look for is quality dialog, plotting, and character development. If you restrict yourself from animation, black and white films, comics, books without pictures, or any other arbitrary limitation, you're going to miss out.

Because they know it's a hot take and that guarantees clicks.

They don't. There are plenty of extremely well regarded animated films. There is, however, no lack of short sighted and biased individuals who might say that though.

Due to mainstream media trends, mostly because a lot of the early western animation that got popular was aimed at kids. So other studios made animated stuff and aimed it at kids too. This trend continued for decades until a lot of people just started associating the two with one another. I think that's way less of a thing these days, though, and as time goes on and media continues to diversify more people's exposure to animation will broaden.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because people have been told, especially the older generation, that cartoons/animation is for kids and they still cling to that misconception. Especially here in the west. In Japan animation is just as much an adult media as it is aimed at kids.

Dragon Ball drew me in due to its larger than life characters that have so far proven impossible for Hollywood to adapt. The art didn't get particularly great until much later in the anime, but the concepts were all interesting to me.

Short statured bald monk? Talking shape shifting pig? Hollywood doesn't think that can be adapted, so instead we get teenage Goku who acts more like Buu-arc Gohan than Goku.

Anime to me is like comic books animated that can't possibly be adapted on the big screen.

Dark Phoenix saga should be an example.

Why would someone watch cinema over just reading a book? Why watch black and white movies over color movies? They are all just different mediums for telling a story. With animated films there are more visual things they can do that would be a great deal harder or more expensive to do in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    The short answer is: the art.
    I have to disagree. The 90s spider-man animated series had terrible animation and is highly regarded. The plot was just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Because people have been told, especially the older generation, that cartoons/animation is for kids and they still cling to that misconception. Especially here in the west. In Japan animation is just as much an adult media as it is aimed at kids.
    is there such a thing as a genuinely mature cartoon though? By genuine I don't mean obscenities and gross out violence just to push up the age rating. I mean like thematically meaningful and believable adult's story.

you can make way crazier looking shit with a way smaller budget. In short, cartoon/anime tend to be better for fantasy, sci-fi or any other category that is highly reliant on expensive CGI otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

is there such a thing as a genuinely mature cartoon though? By genuine I don't mean obscenities and gross out violence just to push up the age rating. I mean like thematically meaningful and believable adult's story.
    Steins;gate comes to mind. They are certainly not the majority, but then again that is also the case with the great majority of live action movies/series.

While not stella story telling, Gantz is rather mature.

You have a infinite amount of possibilities in anime that you can't have in a real show without a substantial budget. You can also have a much longer arc to properly explore story lines.

I mean just look at Death note. I have friends who have watched the live action, hated it and now refuse to watch the series. Also could you imagine if they attempted to do something like SAO or Seraph of the end on a small budget?
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate