Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remains to be seen, if their upcoming games are successful then they have a fair shot.

Right now it's just a one lucky game wonder. Something akin to Rovio, they had Angry Birds that was a huge hit, but they failed to replicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Ya I’m not saying it’s because of tencent just that it’s hard to really defend how they monetize.
    Not really. EVERYTHING in the game is completely, 100% free in terms of playable content. You literally never actually NEED to spend money on the game for anything, though it's convenient as hell.

They sell them at these prices because that's what folks will pay, the hardcores dump in hundreds/thousands every single league and it helps keep the game alive for the rest who spend little to nothing.

If they weren't coming out with new leagues every 3 months or so with major changes, weren't updating in between leagues with tweaks/bugfixes etc., weren't working on a major 4.0 expansion having already dropped previous major expansions that added huge amounts of content to the game, I'd agree. But given the service they're providing, they absolutely earn the high prices they charge for cosmetics, and the more "necessary" convenience tabs are far more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    With one IP? Not i don't think so.

Blizzard got his magic, thanks to thier IP's. But it was ruined since 2016.
    since 2011*

Even with all controversy around, blizzard still has god damn good games under their belt, at least some of them.

I have yet to see something really good from Riot. We have two game mods converted into "full" games and outside of that...crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I think the difference is just PR they know they can get away with one and not the other so they make a mock effort to pretend they are dealing with the issue while they really aren’t. The other they can downplay and in both cases they really don’t care.
    It's just the hypcorisy of it though. It's not just "them getting away with it" it's people letting them get away with it. Like, imagine how crazy it would've been if they had banned women from attending. We wouldn't even be having this conversation. They would've been boycotted with demonstrators in the streets. Instead they get supported for being "progressive" and striving for "inclusivity" while they literally exclude over half the people interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As opposed to other companies, which only want to make money in any way possible.
    Activision, EA and Ubisoft are just as garbage but they actually care when they get backlash.

Ironically, the absolute only game that these companies sell that interests me is WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by reploid View Post
    Not even close. There´s only 1 gaming company that i´d put on the same tier as blizzard, and thats rockstar. Those two are on a league of their own...the rest is..well, the rest.
    I would put CDProjekt at the lvl of a 2007 Blizzard. Now I am not sure they won't crash afterwards, but at the moment they are pretty solid.

LOL i thought exactly the title of this thread...the same exact thing

Is Riot the new Blizzard? Only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Riot can’t do much more than what already does about their community, they give you the option to disable the chat, accept your reports and deliver penalties infracting the rules.

The problem is not really “Riot”, It’s League of Legends game genre, you’ll find the same sort of toxicity in games such as DOTA and HoTs, the more competitiveness, the more toxic it will be.
    At this point I agree there is little they can do, but they could have clearly have taken a bit stricter actions against toxic behavior in the early days and the scene would have been different. HotS for example really is on a far lower level of toxicity, at least last time I played it. And ofc, the same is true of real sports to a certain degree.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not really. EVERYTHING in the game is completely, 100% free in terms of playable content. You literally never actually NEED to spend money on the game for anything, though it's convenient as hell.

They sell them at these prices because that's what folks will pay, the hardcores dump in hundreds/thousands every single league and it helps keep the game alive for the rest who spend little to nothing.

If they weren't coming out with new leagues every 3 months or so with major changes, weren't updating in between leagues with tweaks/bugfixes etc., weren't working on a major 4.0 expansion having already dropped previous major expansions that added huge amounts of content to the game, I'd agree. But given the service they're providing, they absolutely earn the high prices they charge for cosmetics, and the more "necessary" convenience tabs are far more affordable.
    Saying people will pay at those prices ain’t real ya good defence. Sure they put alot of work into the game but there prices are still incredibly high and I wouldn’t say they dk enough compared to other free games to really justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    With what they allowed the community in LoL to become, I am not sure I am interested in trying any of their new games regardless. WoW's community may be annoying enough at times, but LoL? only time I ever stopped playing an online game mainly due to its community.
    You can't blame a game developer for what its players do.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    It's just the hypcorisy of it though. It's not just "them getting away with it" it's people letting them get away with it. Like, imagine how crazy it would've been if they had banned women from attending. We wouldn't even be having this conversation. They would've been boycotted with demonstrators in the streets. Instead they get supported for being "progressive" and striving for "inclusivity" while they literally exclude over half the people interested.
    True if it was the other way around people would have cared a lot more but most wouldn’t admit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    MMO-C Forum: "FUCK BLIZZ THEY'RE SHIT FOR SIDING WITH CHINA!!!"

Also MMO-C Forum: "Riot is great, I think they're the next Blizzard!"

: omegathink :
    No, it's really just one guy who said that.

LoL is garbage and they are 100% owned by china so no, they are trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    They also have a history of treating their employees awfully, which doesn't do much to set them apart from all the other scummy AAA companies out there.
    People keep saying that, but I keep seeing top industry developers flock to Riot. Lots of Blizzard employees have been ending up at Riot.

riot was shit from the very beginning, look up pendragon and what he did
    and how league was advertised early

pendragon still works for riot afaik so yeah

If i wanted to play a p2w mmo i'd go back to BDO, not support Tencent

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    People keep saying that, but I keep seeing top industry developers flock to Riot. Lots of Blizzard employees have been ending up at Riot.
    Like who? We all know GC is there but anyone else?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    With what they allowed the community in LoL to become, I am not sure I am interested in trying any of their new games regardless. WoW's community may be annoying enough at times, but LoL? only time I ever stopped playing an online game mainly due to its community.
    Nailed it. LoL's community is the worst.
    Here is something to believe in!

Too many projects at one time can lead to major fuck-up. If Blizzard defends themselves in MMO and cardgame genres, Rito will have huge problems.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.