Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    On the surface it sounds like a decent idea, and barring them doing something idiotic like FFXIV's housing purchasing system it could be interesting at very least. Back in the day I really wanted player housing, now though I figure it would end up being ruined by Blizzard making all the good components obtainable only through micro-transactions. Using that exact "it's cosmetic only" excuse for why everything good has to be purchased with real cash.
    never played FFXIV but i get your microtransaction argument, and that is a big consern if they ever do choose to do player housing. I agree I would not be happy with Packs / bundles of decor for 10-20$ each like they do with conan exiles.

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    And the best part, unlike garrisons, these would be cosmetic only, and not mandatory for raiding
    How do you not see this as the biggest issue? If its not going to further the story (like Garrisons) or give you something worth while other then a minecraft build a house situation why would Blizzard implement it? Right now, a lot of hardcore players log in and out for raids or Mythic+ only. Other log in to do rep or farm some mounts/mog sets. The only player base that would want this is RP and I just dont see enough evidence as to why developers should implement another cosmetic farm challenge. What happens when players demand that more assets be used? or "oh how generic, they use 4 year old mud huts for the Horde GG Blizz". Really, if it isnt going to add value to the story, game play and its something that will be do it if you like then no it shouldnt be implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

Here is my hot take. WoW is NOt fine at its current state. It lacks meaningful content. a grind with a goal you can achieve, is different then a grind with RNG like in BFA. and it would be optional.

People like pet battles. I dont. I just dont play it. I dont ask for it to be removed. 90% of the time, i forget its a thing.
    I'm glad we have people like you to tell everybody what constitutes "meaningful content." I hate thinking for myself sometimes. And you and I both know Blizzard wouldn't make something like player housing optional. Further, it doesn't add anything to the game other than give players more reasons to be anti-social in a game that is already far too anti-social anyway. So again, please fuck off with player housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaganite View Post
    How do you not see this as the biggest issue? If its not going to further the story (like Garrisons) or give you something worth while other then a minecraft build a house situation why would Blizzard implement it? Right now, a lot of hardcore players log in and out for raids or Mythic+ only. Other log in to do rep or farm some mounts/mog sets. The only player base that would want this is RP and I just dont see enough evidence as to why developers should implement another cosmetic farm challenge. What happens when players demand that more assets be used? or "oh how generic, they use 4 year old mud huts for the Horde GG Blizz". Really, if it isnt going to add value to the story, game play and its something that will be do it if you like then no it shouldnt be implemented.
    Bro.. you just answered your own question...

Most players only raid log. Having more non raid content in the game to do, will incentivise players to keep playing beyond just raiding and pve. It doesnt have to award raid gear or be part of the story.. Thats the whole point. You get thrown story and gear into your face all of the time. having somthing mindless to do would be a nice way to cleanse your pallet and relax before going back to the raids etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll no.

The development of player housing almost killed the game. Thats right, we had countless games come out, WoW laughed them off. But player housing? That one near knocked WoW out for good.

Player housing is kind of like large-scale pvp. Its a trap. It sounds good in your head, but it never is. Every game its implemented, its either useless outright, or just serves as a trophy room, both of which are a waste of development time.

I didn't even read your post, but glancing up at it - i was right haha. You want it to be a fucking trophy room. Dude, why make an instance trophy room, when you can show your prestige on your character? Know whats a lot better than having a 'fur rug'? a mage tower weapon appearence, or a set of elite pvp gear.
    To you maybe.

Personally I'd prefer to have a house with my achievements and items in it. If people want to see it, sure they can come visit, but first and foremost it's for me.

As for killing games, OSRS has player housing and it's a very popular feature, even considering the skill to do most of it is a pain in the ass to level, a lot of players still do it, although that system does offer benefits to having a house. But if you want a more traditional MMO, look at LOTRO, again an instanced, cosmetic only player housing system that's extremely popular with the community.

It wouldn't kill the game and frankly there are plenty of features that turn out bad that were a huge waste of dev time. Garrisons (Compared to what they should have been) which were also completely broken at launch. Islands and war fronts, most people agree they suck and while maybe fun to do once or twice, not worth the development time. So, if they can sink time into features like those and have the community think they're bad, they can take the risk on player housing and see how it turns out. A bit of wasted dev time for a feature that may be succesful isn't wasted dev time and even if it is, wouldn't kill the game.

Now you might say one of 2 thing. "But we already had garrisons!" or "Lets just have guild housing for the "MMO" game!"

Here are my responses. Garrisons are not player housing by a mile. and 2, Who says player housing has to be solo only? Did anyone play games like Runescape? where you could have mini games and even dungeons inside of your home and invite others in for parties? (not to mention demon butlers!) Ark and conan exiles you can invite others in for RP or as a base of operation.

Player housing would be content in the game that would not only bring us back to older content, but last up through new content and even last through future expansions, instead of being an expansion feature and being left behind like the farm.

The only issue i can think of, is how you would build the base of the house, because we would have 3 options;

1; The home is pre-built but you can decorate it (almost like skyrim but you can add in what ever furniture you want)
    2; You can build it in spaces / rooms and add upstairs and downstairs. (Like in Runescape)
    3; You have full control of building it like in Ark or Conan exiles.

The game should allow us to have a choice between various areas of the game. Like choosing to live in tanaris, winterspring, mulgore, etc. But it would just be a template and it would ne instance. Like the homes in runescape. That you would need to venture to the portal of the designated zone to enter. (This would also allow for gathering hubs for players who wish to form parties.)

Now for the content.

Up untill now I have been using runescape alot as an example, one thing I do not want from runescape, however, is the building profession grind. While I am not fully opposed to having a profession for creating and selling various furniture, and it would allow for more ingame trading between people. I think other ways of collecting furniture, or even the recipes to create the furniture should remain in the world, pvp and in PVP.. (and maybe pet battles for those people too)

There can be standard tables and chairs, but themed furniture and decor is what most people want.

How about we return to WoD to find and collect Orcish tables, banners, fur rugs?
    Or gnomergan for gnomish decor?
    Even northrend for the more northern, hunting lodge themed decor sets, or even vrykrul themed?
    Mulgore and highmountain for tauren totems.

There are LOADS of possibilities with player housing that can be a reward for many current and even new forms of content that can bring us back to older expacs and even feed into newer expacs so it will always be relevant.

And the best part, unlike garrisons, these would be cosmetic only, and not mandatory for raiding
    Arguable most of what you want in a "player housing" model is handled through your Achievement tab.

Honestly though, Rather than having player housing, the game rather needs some form of randomized repeatable content, or even a player created dungeon or something of that nature. That would expand upon the multiplayer aspect of the game rather than isolate the player base in some "housing" that few if anyone would see.

What would happen in player housing is this.

1. I want a place specific for my player to have in game that I can customize.
    2. Since I have a place for my player I want to be able to set my hearthstone there as my home location.
    3. Since my hearth is set there I want to be able to get rested there.
    4. Since I have my home set there I want to be able to see General Chat.
    5. Since I can see General Chat, how about Trade chat.
    6. Since I can see Trade Chat, how about adding a mail box so I can trade items easier.
    7. Since I have a mail box why not give me a AH bot/Auction House access.
    8. Since We have Mailbox and Auction access, how about bank access.
    9. It takes too long to go to a city and then fly to a dungeon or raid. I want a player housing portal to the dungeons or raids I want.

No. Better to forget individual player housing and instead either expand on class halls or have guild halls.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'm glad we have people like you to tell everybody what constitutes "meaningful content." I hate thinking for myself sometimes. And you and I both know Blizzard wouldn't make something like player housing optional. Further, it doesn't add anything to the game other than give players more reasons to be anti-social in a game that is already far too anti-social anyway. So again, please fuck off with player housing.
    Anti social? you didnt read my post then. I played runescape back in the day and I was inviting randoms and friends to my house all of the time, and i went to other player's homes all of the time having parties. mini games, fooling around in the dungeons.. and right outside of the portals had players trading building supplies, selling and trading. and looking for players to go to thier house for parties. It was far from anti social.. and not making it mandatory with a built in bank and AH, mogger, etc would mean you are not going to stay in there like you did the garrison, you still need to leave to go to the city where the main systems are.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did somebody say player housing?

Spam aside, I'm totally for any additional non-power related endgame that follows our characters past the content. That includes stuff like this, special hard-to-obtain transmog, etc. Specific to housing, it has a huge potential to increase engagement in player-run markets depending on what the WoW team wants to do.

BlizzCon in two weeks! I can't wait to be disappointed when it's not announced again =).

Quote Originally Posted by Zaganite View Post
    Not only did you answer your own question, you gave more reasons why housing should be a thing. People farm transmogs, mounts, pets, do pet battles, all stuff that isn't story related and in no way progresses "the main content", yet many players still do it because they enjoy collecting things or enjoy taking a break from "main content". So why exactly would those same players not want a housing system that lets you collect things and display those things you collect?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Arguable most of what you want in a "player housing" model is handled through your Achievement tab.

Honestly though, Rather than having player housing, the game rather needs some form of randomized repeatable content, or even a player created dungeon or something of that nature. That would expand upon the multiplayer aspect of the game rather than isolate the player base in some "housing" that few if anyone would see.

2. Since I have a place for my player I want to be able to set my hearthstone there as my home location.
    6. Since I can see Trade Chat, how about adding a mail box so I can trade items easier.
    9. It takes too long to go to a city and then fly to a dungeon or raid. I want a player housing portal to the dungeons or raids I want.

No. Better to forget individual player housing and instead either expand on class halls or have guild halls.
    Or you do the sensible thing and only implement step 1 and stop there, which the devs are totally able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    No thanks to either of those.
    OH i dont get me wrong, i wouldnt want them to waste resources and time in any type of housing, but if i MUST have to choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post

But with guild halls, only GMs and officers would have the ability to decorate it at all... Most players will form thier own 1 player guild just to have thier own home / base. especially RP'ers

7+ Year Old Account
    Now you might say one of 2 thing. "But we already had garrisons!" or "Lets just have guild housing for the "MMO" game!"

Here are my responses. Garrisons are not player housing by a mile. and 2, Who says player housing has to be solo only? Did anyone play games like Runescape? where you could have mini games and even dungeons inside of your home and invite others in for parties? (not to mention demon butlers!) Ark and conan exiles you can invite others in for RP or as a base of operation.

Player housing would be content in the game that would not only bring us back to older content, but last up through new content and even last through future expansions, instead of being an expansion feature and being left behind like the farm.

The only issue i can think of, is how you would build the base of the house, because we would have 3 options;

1; The home is pre-built but you can decorate it (almost like skyrim but you can add in what ever furniture you want)
    2; You can build it in spaces / rooms and add upstairs and downstairs. (Like in Runescape)

The game should allow us to have a choice between various areas of the game. Like choosing to live in tanaris, winterspring, mulgore, etc. But it would just be a template and it would ne instance. Like the homes in runescape. That you would need to venture to the portal of the designated zone to enter. (This would also allow for gathering hubs for players who wish to form parties.)

Now for the content.

Up untill now I have been using runescape alot as an example, one thing I do not want from runescape, however, is the building profession grind. While I am not fully opposed to having a profession for creating and selling various furniture, and it would allow for more ingame trading between people. I think other ways of collecting furniture, or even the recipes to create the furniture should remain in the world, pvp and in PVP.. (and maybe pet battles for those people too)

There can be standard tables and chairs, but themed furniture and decor is what most people want.

How about we return to WoD to find and collect Orcish tables, banners, fur rugs?
    Even northrend for the more northern, hunting lodge themed decor sets, or even vrykrul themed?

There are LOADS of possibilities with player housing that can be a reward for many current and even new forms of content that can bring us back to older expacs and even feed into newer expacs so it will always be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    there are many problems with player housing:

-the main hubs being empty, something blizzard doesnt want.
    -we already had player housing with garrisons and it didnt work.

guild housing is a better idea, but that still have some problems.
    Blizzard not wanting something doesn't = It being bad for the game. Blizzard doesn't want vendors with currency, pvp vendors with gear, look what those things alone did to the game.

Player housing with garrisons didn't work because again, Blizzard thought they were smarter than other MMOs that just did Housing plus alittle twist on It.

They tried to make It housing with lots of gameplay aorund it, essentially making the whole expansion around it but that's also their major problem. They often make features per expansion, not per game. The Essense system for example is just here to stay in BfA, same like in Legion artifact weapons stayed in Legion. They are poor at making game-wide features but excellent at containing systems that barely function within the expansion In the expansion.

IF they just do housing like It's done In any other TOP MMO, namely ESO/FF14 they'll attract sooo many more people to play because lets be honest. WoW Isn't top dog and hasn't been for years. ESO Has got It's shit together and has been rising and rising, so has FF14 for the last few years and namely since 2019 we've seen "WoW Refugees" pilling up to play ff14 instead. That's how bad the game is, Blizz. We go to play a game as a catboi dark knight instead of WoW.....

And ESO do their housing well, I can't comment on ff14's housing other than I know It's limited, as in not everyone can get a big multifloor house but everyone -can- get apartments which are smaller but houses is where It's at. They have this instance system, where you say go to Housing Instance 7 and there you have houses 1-40 (For example) and in those 40 houses you will see specific people around, neighbour system It's called I think. Which Is a cool concept by the way, and I think one Blizzard should do In the future ONCE they make a good housing system in the first place, aka Garrisons but with you able to place your stuff around in detail not just plonk down one giant building on a few plots of land and call it a day.

And ESO... you could literally take a chair, put It sideways on the wall next to a window because you can. Or put your bed upside down on the ceiling because again, you can. You have free reign over the houses you can use, and there's many to choose from and with some clever decorating you can make little rooms yourself, alchols, extra rooms and buildings which would cost you alot of resources as you can craft furniture, buy It from reputation vendors or on the Guild Auction Houses.

The few downsides I can think of Is they have certain Houses that are restricted to being bought only with crown coins, their premium currency and are time limited, popping up once a year or something lets say and you don't see them again. And houses themselves are quite expensive both in Gold, the regular currency ingame and the crown currency but that sort of gets balanced by the fact there's so many god damn houses to choose from, from small, medium to large varying from race to land. And I think the most genious thing with their housing system, you can craft all your furniture, fully integrated into each proffesion, woodworking, blacksmithing, clothing etc. you can craft furniture in each of these respective proffesions, down to being able to craft plates, tables, chairs, beds, dividers, walls, gabbage, apples, all sorts of fruits, barrels, boxes, torches - and each of these have a uique race varient attached to them. So you have a range of 9 basic appearances for each torch, table, and bed you might want, plus additional special ones from the extra DLC or expansion zones you visit, It's so basic and genious at the same time.

This is literally what people hoped Garrisons would be, you able to customize your own Blood Elf Garrison, make yourself a little Noble House, decorate it with nice tables, some drapes, red crystals for lighting, lots of pillows and bongs. Or a very Orc Stronghold, with lots of spikes - cant go wrong with more spikes, barracks, spiky walls, spiky tables, spiky chairs, spiky spiky spiky.

So much variety in the WoW races alone to have so much furniture and Blizzard is doing nothing on this goldmine of an idea that other MMOs already took and made much much better than what WoW came up with, Garrisons.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Anti social? you didnt read my post then. I played runescape back in the day and I was inviting randoms and friends to my house all of the time, and i went to other player's homes all of the time having parties. mini games, fooling around in the dungeons.. and right outside of the portals had players trading building supplies, selling and trading. and looking for players to go to thier house for parties. It was far from anti social.. and not making it mandatory with a built in bank and AH, mogger, etc would mean you are not going to stay in there like you did the garrison, you still need to leave to go to the city where the main systems are.
    Because these things aren't somehow already accessible enough? The very idea of player housing is single player oriented. It's your fucking house. I spent most of WoD in my Garrison and unless there's some compelling reason to visit somebody else's house other than "hey d00d check out my sick fung shui" I can't see a new iteration being much different.

Since I'm growing tired of saying the same thing, here's a Dr. Suess rhyme to convey my emotions:

I do not like player housing,
    I do not find the idea rousing.
    I do not like useless features,
    I do not like its many preachers.

I do not like player housing lofts,
    Player housing can fuck right off.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-10-18 at 02:45 AM.

A previous thread asked what we imagined guild housing would be like, if it was ever implemented. Here is my reply, because it is still valid for this discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Poorly executed and forgotten the next expansion. Just look at what Garrisons was planned to be and how it actually turned out. Huge difference. Not to mention, what would the focus of the guild housing be? Actually providing a benefit? Nope, they removed that system. Just a place to hang out with guildies? Already got, you know, the rest of the world for that.

The problem lied in that in an MMORPG about an open world we were given almost no reason to leave the garrison. How would player owned houses not fall victim to the exact same problem?

"cosmetic only"

Maybe, but then why would I bother with it? In RS the conveniences housing provides mostly have to do with more efficient travel (which is why they're dead in RS3 lol) which wouldn't be applicable with the structure of expansions having a relatively small continent to navigate.

I do like the idea of a place to showcase my junk that I've unlocked, but I always pictured that more like a personally phased museum than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I do not like player housing,
    I do not find the idea rousing.
    I do not like useless features,
    I do not like its many preachers.

I do not like player housing lofts,
    Player housing can fuck right off.
    I do not like it, Kyo you see,
    Player Housing is not for me!
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-18 at 01:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Now for the content.

We don't *need* it, no. We want it, so that's a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll no.

The development of player housing almost killed the game. Thats right, we had countless games come out, WoW laughed them off. But player housing? That one near knocked WoW out for good.

Player housing is kind of like large-scale pvp. Its a trap. It sounds good in your head, but it never is. Every game its implemented, its either useless outright, or just serves as a trophy room, both of which are a waste of development time.

I didn't even read your post, but glancing up at it - i was right haha. You want it to be a fucking trophy room. Dude, why make an instance trophy room, when you can show your prestige on your character? Know whats a lot better than having a 'fur rug'? a mage tower weapon appearence, or a set of elite pvp gear.
    Player housing/trophy rooms aren't wasted development time. It keeps many players in game and paying. I've spent more time (and money) in SWTOR, Wildstar, ESO,etc... on housing then I have "playing" the games and thats even with me doing raids and end game content and having 8+ alts in each game. You can only create so many raids/bosses at a time and you can only kill the same guy so many times before you are bored out of your mind but being able to show off your accomplishments or just building a spaceship out of a new chair you got because you can means a persons engagement limit is almost completely determined by how little imagination and creativity a player has.

Your great grandpa was able to spend hours playing with a can and a stick because of his imagination and its sad that there are people today who have lost all/most of their creativity and imagination and so can't even see the potential enjoyment they or others may get out of housing.

Seeing how in the last 2 expansions blizzard is literally preying on collectors with the shitty drop rates and systems and just way of thinking and how the game suffers from it on almost every front except for raiding, I fear that if we got player housing, it would be a soulless cashgrab that would not even be too good, because frankly (and sadly), it's wow. And I don't mean to be an asshole here, look at the garrisons. And that was a school project compared to what full player housing should be. It would probably make blizzard even sloppier, because housing would probably attract just enough people to be a bombproof income regardless of everything else in the game.

So no, no thank you. We need quality reward system, quality end game reputations and outdoor content, working and fun classes, fun endgame progression, not doubled down and cheap big patches, expansions that don't feel like were cut in half. Even a world remake would be much more needed than houses (otherwise where would you put your shiny house? Into places where you can literally count pixels? which is everything up to cata zones but more like mop). If these are okay on a steady timeline, by all means let's fuck around in houses.

I for one would not keep up a subscription for housing alone, if the expansion sucks that's unsub time for me, and when I enjoy the game, I log in, and I wanna be productive and not sit around in my own house. If I want that, I launch the sims. Or.. I have a real house that I can decorate.
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-10-18 at 01:53 AM.

I'd love housing in WoW. Proper housing, not garrisons.

They could tie it to old raids and stuff like how they add pets to bosses for pet lovers. They could add player housing stuff to bosses etc.

Give us duo/solo players something fun to do outside of a party or raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Guild Halls > Housing
    Nope... disagree whole heartedly, but you know, if they have one, having both would be pretty easy.

Yes, player housing is LONG over-due. I hope they can make a decent system around it...