Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic-RaidLead View Post
    My point is I think there might be some kind of corruption in these statistics. They have murder sentences 1/3d to 1/4th as severe as the USA yet they have 1/5th our murder rate? I simply do not believe them. My initial assumption was that their murder rate would be maybe 3 times as high as it is here. The German government or whatever must be engaging in under reporting schemes or something. I simply WILL NOT believe their murder rate is that low when their murder sentences are that lenient. It completely defy common sense that I developed growing up. In every grade, were were tough by teachers. parents, etc that hard on crime and harsher punishments keep us in line.

Call me old school, I really don't care, but when statistics are so different than what common sense from reasonable people expect, I'm going to be extremely skeptical. I shared this with a co worker and he said it's very likely bullshit too. He like me have a hard time believing the murder rate in Germany is that low.
    I'm not going to call you old school, I am going to call you wrong. The US has a higher murder rate than every western European country while having harsher punishments than all of them.

Your "common sense" is wrong. Murder rate isn't something you can under report, how the hell would that even work? Just list murder victims as having a natural death or something? Makes no sense

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Diplomatic immunity played into this. The rules change entirely when diplomats (and their spouses) are involved. Probably needs a few revisions this practice.
    She got any kind of punishment in the US, or did she just get recalled?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    That's irrelevant. Would you defame someone when you can go to prison for 7 years for something you said? If no, then you were deterred by the penalty.
    A 7 year sentence for defamation is not a deterrent on crime...it's an incentive to get the fuck out of that tyrannical country.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to do with revenge. I just want to be safe, perfectly safe if society ever gets to that point. I am constantly terrified of death.
    Why be terrified? Death happens. Could be some crazy hobo shanking you, could be a bus, shit, you could have died from an aneurysm as I was typing this.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Uh.... You realize that the USA has a population AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE HIGHER right????
    These are murder rates. A murder rate 5 times higher x a population 5 times higher means 25 times as many murders.

Sure as hell are deterrents to me. I don't want to waste my life away in prison or be killed because of something I did.

It's ridiculous to say they're not deterrents because you only see the people who weren't deterred committing crimes.
    Dunno, for what is worth, you seem to me to be the kind of person whose main deterrent is fear of punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Why be terrified? Death happens. Could be some crazy hobo shanking you, could be a bus, shit, you could have died from an aneurysm as I was typing this.
    I don't want to die, I genuinely don't want to die. That's the thing.
    Last edited by Mythic-RaidLead; 2019-10-18 at 07:04 AM.

I don't want to die, I genuinely don't want to die. That's the thing.
    Does on some level why you seem to be obsessed over killing or torturing others. Psychological projection gone horribly wrong.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    I don't know really .. people die all the time for no good reason, yet we make a big deal out of the death penalty. At least it's not random death, it's something someone deserved.
    Unless they were wrongfully convicted...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Does on some level why you seem to be obsessed over killing or torturing others. Psychological projection gone horribly wrong.
    I never advocated torture and I don't support the Death Penalty. Where are you getting this idea?

I never advocated torture and I don't support the Death Penalty. Where are you getting this idea?
    You want to do experiments on people against their will...sounds kinda like torture to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You want to do experiments on people against their will...sounds kinda like torture to me.
    No no no. They want the forced personality modifications to occur after the procedure has been perfected. Get it right!

A 7 year sentence for defamation is not a deterrent on crime...it's an incentive to get the fuck out of that tyrannical country.
    Sorry, we protect peoples reputation from being destroyed because someone had a personal agenda against them. It's only fair that someone that tries to ruin someones live serve time in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    No no no. They want the forced personality modifications to occur after the procedure has been perfected. Get it right!
    It's both really. He wants to perfect the procedure by experimenting on inmates and then, once it's perfected, put it into more widespread use and eventually adapting it for consumers.

Sorry, we protect peoples reputation from being destroyed because someone had a personal agenda against them. It's only fair that someone that tries to ruin someones live serve time in prison.
    Is it? I was under the impression that the legal definitions of defamation, slander and libel imply monetary damages, in which case a prison sentence would be entirely inappropriate compared to monetary recompense.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Op you have to decide.

1. is the german system better ?

2 are Germans just better humans than Americans?

One of this must be true

Except you even categorize truthful statements as defamation.

Except you even categorize truthful statements as defamation.
    Because you don't get to ruin peoples lives just because you hate them. The only way you'll get away with it is if it's:
    1) True.
    2) In the public interest to know this thing about the person you're saying.

Exposing someone as a cheater to people is defamation even if true, it's not of any interest to the public and as such you should keep your mouth shut about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Is it? I was under the impression that the legal definitions of defamation, slander and libel imply monetary damages, in which case a prison sentence would be entirely inappropriate compared to monetary recompense.
    You can be imprisoned for it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you don't get to ruin peoples lives just because you hate them. The only way you'll get away with it is if it's:
    1) True.
    2) In the public interest to know this thing about the person you're saying.

Exposing someone as a cheater to people is defamation even if true, it's not of any interest to the public and as such you should keep your mouth shut about it.
    No.. That's not defamation. As per Merriam-webster
    "the act of communicating false statements about a person that injure the reputation of that person"

As per Oxford:
    "The action of damaging the good reputation of someone; slander or libel" as in, either Slander or Libel fall under Defamation, let's look at those two:
    "The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation" - Slander
    "A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation." - Libel

Defamation is only Defamation *IF* it's false. Telling people the truth about someone that isn't in the public interest isn't defamation.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    No.. That's not defamation. As per Merriam-webster
    "the act of communicating false statements about a person that injure the reputation of that person"

As per Oxford:
    "The action of damaging the good reputation of someone; slander or libel" as in, either Slander or Libel fall under Defamation, let's look at those two:
    "The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation" - Slander
    "A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation." - Libel

Defamation is only Defamation *IF* it's false. Telling people the truth about someone that isn't in the public interest isn't defamation.
    Merriam-webster does not dictate what our laws in South Korea are.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-10-18 at 08:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posted without comment for information: https://www.thekoreanlawblog.com/201...n-Lawyers.html

This article, and further links within, discuss South Korea's law on defamation and include relevant law.

This broad definition of what constitutes defamation (which includes truthful statements) extends into the cyber world. Cyber defamation, in Korea, also requires the additional element of posting something with the intent to “purposely disparage.”

In this way, we can see that cyber defamation laws in Korea are somewhat analogous to “stalking laws” in other countries, requiring that the alleged defamer go the extra step of actively pursuing his victims. However, this element of the crime is, typically, not difficult to establish.

We can imagine a hypothetical situation where someone pays for a service that he isn’t satisfied with, then goes home and posts a (truthful) account of what happened on the internet. The action may constitute defamation in Korea. In typical cases like this, a fine is imposed. A fine for non-Koreans may lead to deportation.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.