Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Is threat really even still a thing in live WoW? It has been a while since I've played, but I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of problems related to people pulling aggro off a tank (unless it's just something dumb like a non-tank player accidentally hitting a taunt button).
    Yeah in m+ even when its not skittish.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    do you generate threat on mobs that you don't hit?

I notice sometimes when I pull that mobs stick on the one who pulled even if they get hit by someone else
    There is some like phantom threat thing where even if you do absolutely nothing if you're too close you could get on top of the agro table

Is that blizzlike *shrug*

Didn't work that way on p servers

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pulling a mob, will give you some initial threat on it.

To grab the agro, you need to generate 110% of that threat if you are in melee range, or 130% of the threat if not in melee.

Is threat really even still a thing in live WoW? It has been a while since I've played, but I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of problems related to people pulling aggro off a tank (unless it's just something dumb like a non-tank player accidentally hitting a taunt button).
    It is in M+, and on certain boss fights where adds spawn, however, so long as dps keep it in their pants for just a couple seconds its a done deal. The focus has progressively shifted from holding threat, to mitigation and defensive, or self sustain. They have tried to make it more impactful over the the years, but the push back is always really strong. I personally do miss threat being more meaningful, but for it to be a thing again, the "rush rush rush look at the timer gogogo" style of gameplay just doesnt mix well with it.

honestly the threat could be completely fucked at this point, we've seen strange things happening like ragnaros dropping threat on a whim. i swear it was like after each knockback he'd reset aggro. there are some weird bugs in this version of the game and threat is something that isn't totally the same as what it was. its close but its not the same. or it could just be the server tick rate if that changed, the update rate. feels like things are happening faster than they did. variable changes that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    honestly the threat could be completely fucked at this point, we've seen strange things happening like ragnaros dropping threat on a whim. i swear it was like after each knockback he'd reset aggro. there are some weird bugs in this version of the game and threat is something that isn't totally the same as what it was. its close but its not the same. or it could just be the server tick rate if that changed, the update rate. feels like things are happening faster than they did. variable changes that is.
    But knockbacks DO reset or temporarily suspend threat (for the person knocked), that is an actual machanic, still present even in BfA (you can observe this on freehold trash)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    But knockbacks DO reset or temporarily suspend threat (for the person knocked), that is an actual machanic, still present even in BfA (you can observe this on freehold trash)
    it's just npc can't reach you and attacks next target on threat table that he can reach, same shit happens with roots, they do nothing to your threat
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

As a Rogue I tried to solo those 4 "rare" Alliance Riders, failed... started to leg it and Vanished.... didn't see a mage on the road, and those 4 mobs started to attack him instead... and all he was doing was running.

The guilt of him being massacred!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-10-18 at 12:59 PM.

Overzealous dps can very much still overaggro a tank in retail, though it rarely causes wipes since all tanks have tools that enables them to easily regain aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    yeah but this is weird because we'd have 3 tanks in melee range and he'll knock back someone at range and the threat reset. perhaps we just had a bugged instance or something, server might have been lagging i only have a sample size of 1, last weeks kill. but he was doing his turn to shoot fireballs and his aggro was just off. melee would pull aggro from auto attacking it didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    it's just npc can't reach you and attacks next target on threat table that he can reach, same shit happens with roots, they do nothing to your threat
    While what you said about roots IS true, there HAVE been mechanics that mobs have had over the years where they knock the tank away and do one of three things: 1, ignore their threat and go after #2 for a while; 2, reduce the tank's threat total by an amount, and; 3, completely wipe their threat and have them have to start from scratch.

When whe have skittish in m+ it can be a thing. And on that note, plz make skittish basline! It's both frustrating when you can't aggro everything in time and satisfying when you do manage to tank everything as a tank. Threat is a great mechanic which sadly has been reduced to what it is today.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.