It Chapter Two 4/10

Not nearly as good as the first one, and I didn't think that one was all that great to begin with. The movie opens with a gay hate crime and closes with a gay romantic tragedy, yet the actual plot felt a bit dated. I haven't read the books but I think that maybe the story was adapted too closely from it.

At no point in the movie does it make sense that It just refuses to kill the main cast, and the entire movie you feel like the characters have diamond plot armor. The whole story felt a bit indiana jones for teens. And then you had the one female character scream every time something scary happened. It wasn't bad enough to be funny, but bad enough to make me think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad Times at the El Royale: 8/10 I liked it. Solid cast (Erivo and Pullman, in particular, so bonus point for them), decent story, and some WTF.

Helter Skelter (2012): 5/10 Whew, good thing I'm not handsome or rich enough to date models. Bitches be crazy, yo. Movie was as clunky and weird as the manga.

Joker: 8/10 I had no want or need to see a Joker origin story, but the cinematography (gorgeous), score (powerful), and Phoenix's performance (unnerving) made me glad that I did. Bonus points for an otherwise "It was OK? /shrug" movie.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: 9/10 Suffered a bit from the Mandela Effect... I coulda swore I watched this before, but when I went to "rewatch" it, I was totally lost. Good flick!

Mortal Engines: 6.5/10 I remember being mildly interested after the trailer, but then never making an effort to see it in theaters. I didn't hate it. Steampunk Star Wars sounds about right. Overstuffed as a movie, but would've been a decent miniseries so I could care about some of the characters.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Joker....solid 9.5/10. Very powerful performance from Joaquin Phoenix......would be a massive shame to not see it taken further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joker: 2019: 8/10

Taxi Driver 2 basically with an even weirder and crazier lead. Frightening performance that unfortunately became a little grating by the end, with the close-up Phoenix laughing scenes and all that. Dude can act, unfortunately the director made him a little overbearing.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2019-10-11 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joker 7/10

Rambo: Last Blood 4/10
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Joker: 9.0/10, 1/2 point demerit for the last few minutes. Fade to black while he was dancing on the hood of the wrecked car would have been perfect

Easily the best movie I've seen since There Will Be Blood.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2019-10-12 at 03:57 AM.

Joker: 5 / 10
    Really good acting and cinematography was well done. The story was pretty bad. The Joker seemed to be little more than a unintelligent, coward, "Woe is me" character. A look what society made me do. Nothing like what I enjoyed about reading when it comes to the Joker character. It was pretty weak but slightly entertaining. Nothing but an average movie overall for me.

Lion King 3/10

I won't give it a 0 because there probably is some entertainment value for kids in the movie, but damn that was bad. Visually it was meh. The music was truly horrible, almost offensive. Like how do you fuck up hakuna matata. And then the voice acting lol. You can't miss Beyonce who sounds like she literally phoned it in on her iphone. Idk what they were thinking with the casting overall. A vapid tale told again by a very bleak movie.

I'm going to catch a lot of shit for this... a LOT of shit...

A LOT.

Finally Red Boxed X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

It surprised me. I didn't just like it a lot, I loved it a lot. I mean, the reviews don't do it justice. Maybe my expectations were ridiculously low, but I liked everything. The score, the acting, the story, they wrote Mystique out fittingly, Erik and Genosha, albeit a bit underwhelming, Xavier's characterization, Sophie Turner, I actually enjoyed Dark Phoenix more than The Last Stand, which was very disjointed. Dark Phoenix had one narrative, and if this was the first chapter in a trilogy, it would have been an exciting first chapter. Unfortunately, Disney bought FOX, so it's a bittersweet ending to the FoX-men films, but the end really hit me in the gut. Magneto joining a retired Charles for a game of chess.

Ball's in your court, Kevin Feige, put your money where your mouth is.

X-Men: Dark PHoenix - 8/10

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Joker - 7/10 (about 80% The King of Comedy and 20% Taxi Driver; ultimately very well acted, but not quite as good as either of those...suffers from some minor pacing and repetitiveness issues)

El Camino - 7/10 - Not as good as a single episode in the show, and whilst it did tie things up, it wasn't surprising and really felt like an afterthought. Also withholding points due to the fact that it only cemented a certain plot element when I still lived with the hope of contiuation of the universe.

Oh well, Better Call Saul still runs, I hope, so it'll be awesome while it lasts.

Annabelle Comes Home: 5/10

The Conjuring Universe's newest installment somehow underwhelms even more than the previous one as the downward spiral trend in quality continues. It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, it's directed competently, the characters are likable, it's well-acted, but there's hardly a story and I'm desensitized by all the jump scares which are becoming less well-thought out with every movie. Makes you wonder if Conjuring 3 due out next summer will finish off the franchise with a whimper. It's not being directed by James Wan, but rather Michael Chaves who directed The Curse of La Llorona, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The Conjuring: 10/10
    The Conjuring 2: 8/10
    Annabelle: 8/10
    Annabelle Creation: 8/10
    The Nun: 6/10

- - - Updated - - -

Child's Play [2019]: 8/10

Holy smokes, I didn't think Brad Douriff's classic could be matched, but Mark Hamill's Child's Play offers a rare re-make that feels fresh and original, taking the franchise into the modern day in a clever way. I was skeptical about using artificial intelligence instead of voodoo to bring Chucky to life but the re-make's story does such a great job with it that honors the original without copying and and cheapening its legacy.

Mark Hamill's "You are my Buddi, until the end" song is just awesome.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    IT: Chapter 2 --- 6-7/10

Let me start this review by saying: I'm a huge Stephen King Fan. Have been since 1988 when I started reading him in middle school (Eyes Of The Dragon was my first).

I read IT the book back in high school, early 90s. Saw the miniseries when it was first run on tv back. Enjoyed the miniseries at the time, for what it was - it did a good job with difficult material to convert to a tv miniseries.

I would have given the First Chapter of It by this director probably a 7-8/10. Clearly, I agree with the masses (here and elsewhere) that yes, I liked the first movie better. However, I also enjoyed this 2nd chapter - almost- as much.

I do agree with others - 2nd chapter has more laggy points than the first. There is some slower going - and clearly that has been a huge turnoff for some. I get that. I didn't see it as "so slow" but I enjoy the story for the story and, already being a lifelong lover of King and the story of IT - the "slow parts" of further character development/individual story development didn't mess up my enjoyment of the movie as much as they will for some. And again, I get that.

If you didn't care for the first movie so much - then I really question what you're thinking trying to see the 2nd part. Don't. You won't like this one even half as much.

If you're looking for jump scares or true "ahh I'm terrified" - don't bother. Unless you find clowns particularly scary, this movie won't scare you. Whether that is a plus or minus is up to you. To me its irrelevant. IT wasn't meant to be that type of horror story (in any format) so I never watched the first one expecting to be "scared" like that - and I wasn't. The 2nd one doesn't change that flavor. Though I was "creeped out" by more moments in the 2nd one than the first. *shrugs* YMMV.

If you like/liked the plot and characters of the First then it's certainly worth watching the story play out in the 2nd. If you enjoy the Lore of the IT creature and the interplay between the characters and this outside threat - then you'll enjoy the 2nd one too.

My biggest complaints with these movies/this director has more to do with him choosing to mention important novel/character elements in single, throw away, one or two liners - only - without expanding. References that actually would have made the movie better all around - the character motives, their choices, the entire backbone of friendship/faith/belief from the book - more sensical for the movie plot as a whole. That he leaves out entirely - except in single line moments. That leave me going - "Why?" (For example: Bill's use of his stuttering mantra, "Hi hoe silver away" when he's riding the childhood bike).

His choice to change the ending the way he did - which didn't improve on the original (miniseries or book) at all - and because he did NOT spend enough time explaining the importance of belief/faith throughout the two movies. The entire premise of the creature of IT - an interdimensional being of chaos - dependent on human faith/fear was underplayed in both movies. Something barely mentioned. That the whole ending depends on and works around.

The movies stand on their own and, as far as King adaptations of difficult books go, is a really good one.

But some of the director's decisions in barely referencing important things - but keeping them important in the movie - is just confusing to me.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Joker: 10/10

Feels a little weird to give a perfect score, and I may hover closer to a very high nine, but son of a bitch that movie was **phenomenal.** Phoenix absolutely killed it, and I thought it was fantastically entertaining and thought provoking. I'm going to see it again with a friend tonight...which I think will be the first time I've ever paid to see a movie in theaters twice.

"What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash? I'll tell you what you get! You get what you fucking deserve!"
    Last edited by Reaper0329; 2019-10-18 at 04:52 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    There's a similar movie from 2017 called Boar that I haven't seen yet, but no sequel that I'm aware of.
    Went n saw it, oh...it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen...the piggies weren't believable n they were the size of a small dino fer chrissakes...

Boar -10/10 the worst

Joker 10/10, people were not eating their popcorn, snacks, were engrossed from start to finish like watching a play.
    Well, except for that one retard that used phone almost whole movie, I didn't sit close but it was corner of my eye, how I wished I sat behind so I could have told that piece of shit off...I really should have gone n called personnel at the cinema..
    Cinematography, music, sound, really drew one in...haven't felt like that since Blade Runner 2049
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-10-18 at 08:12 PM.

Eli - 8/10 before the final twist and 3/10 after it happens. It just feels so silly ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Joker. 4/10. was highly disappointed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Joker. 4/10. was highly disappointed in it.
    HONKA! HONKA! HONKA!

..mind telling us why you found it disappointing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    HONKA! HONKA! HONKA!

..mind telling us why you found it disappointing?
    the movie didnt get good until over halfway through. completely lackluster. it was a long drawn out movie of him just laughing like a jackass the entire time for the most part. plot wasnt that compelling and action was nonexistent for someone like the joker. i get it was supposed to be an origins story type film but it was just mind numbingly painful to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Finally saw John Wick 3 - 7/10 (good)

Spoiler: 
    My only problem with John Wick 3 is that it feels like nothing has been accomplished, like the story of John Wick hasn't really progressed. Previously, the last two movies felt like complete chapters in his story. In the first film, John Wick removed the threat of the Tarasovs to him. In the second film, John Wick removed the threat of Santonio to him. However, at the beginning of this film, John Wick has a bounty on him... and still has it on him at the end of the film. John Wick has not managed to neutralize any of the leading threats against him (the High Table, the Elder, or Winston). In fact, he ends the movie in the same position as he started. I'm thinking that this was actually a set up movie for John Wick 4 to pay off on and close this chapter - like this movie was the first half of John Wick 2, before Santonio (or in this case, Winston) betrays John Wick. IDK. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but it didn't have a sense of satisfying "completeness" like the first two movies.

I guess I'm worried that John Wick doesn't have a definitive ending in mind, and that they're going to drag out the franchise so long as it keeps making money. I'd rather the John Wick story have a definitive beginning, middle, and end without overstaying its welcome. In that case, I'm hoping John Wick 4 (or MAYBE 5, if they can justify it) will be the ending. That said, I'm not sure how it will play out. To find peace and live a normal life, John needs the bounty on him lifted. To get the bounty lifted, he needs to convince the High Table to do so, WITHOUT becoming an assassin bound to them. I don't know how he can do that right now. He could try replacing the High Table members; the plot of the first half of John Wick 2 was him killing Santonio's sister so he could take over. I suppose John Wick could simply assassinate each ruling member of the High Table and have them replaced by people who'd call off the bounty, but we don't know any High Table members so suddenly introducing them and then killing them off in the same movie wouldn't feel satisfactory. I'm guessing it's going to come down to somethin with the Elder, though I'm not sure if it will involve killing him or convincing him or what.

I was surprised by Winston's apparent betrayal. When he first shot John, I was thinking "Winston is faking it to gain the support of the High Table and will support John in secret", but apparently it's a legit turn around? Maybe Charon will be John's man on the inside of the New York Continental?