Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's needed but I would love to see them do it right. I love the housing system in Final Fantasy 14 and I loved the one in Wildstar. They would just need to take the time to make it a lasting system and not tie it to a specific expansion. I think as it stands now though it would be really hard to justify the work required to make it. Sure you could argue a lot of the assets are already there and they would just need to build the actual housing system but even then I am sure that requires a ton of work and people are going to see it as a waste when that work could go into a raid or something else.

Personally I want it. Once the band-aid is ripped off the possibilities for it are massive. they could literally create an entire professions for it or just add things to the existing ones. It is also entirely optional and only the people who really want it can bother with it unlike the Garrisons. Honestly anything to make the world more fleshed out and feel lived in is a good thing IMO. i just don't see Blizzard ever doing it because of how the community at large seems to view them. Maybe i am wrong and the people on forums are as usual the vocal minority but I just know how Blizzard seems to work and their art team seems stretched very thin as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely not something we NEED. It'd be nice to have, I always thought the idea of having some sort of player housing was cool but we don't need it and I can't see it making the game much better than it is. People want to go out, kick ass, and get that epic loot. Nobody but hardcore RPers would spend all their time having parties in their house.

And that's all player housing would provide, RP. That and maybe dailies that no one will have fun with.

They need to make it so you the player can place their house/base anywhere and have it create personal instance like the garrison that your friends can see in the world if they are grouped with you.

Want your house to be on the top of ICC? Go for it! Want it on the top of Black Rock Mountain? Hells yes! It really is not that hard to implement honestly, the tech is already in the game and they could give you a hearthstone to that location as well. The other option is have a personal flying house like Dalaran but a much smaller land mass but same idea to have it move anywhere you want it to with a cooldown as to not have it abused.

My issue with having all this effort go into systems to fix the existing systems is that it never works out.. why put all this time into Artifact weapons and the netherlight crucible just to turn the into azerite armour and essences, just to turn the same stupid system into another version of itself when we could just have it the way it was in Wrath and Cata where we had cool raids, tier sets glyphs and proper talents. Then have housing.. like screw all this.. artifact related crap that were never happy with when we can have Player housing which is fun for a majority of people. Not eveything has to be tied to raiding or making gold at max level like christ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    It's definitely not something we NEED. It'd be nice to have, I always thought the idea of having some sort of player housing was cool but we don't need it and I can't see it making the game much better than it is. People want to go out, kick ass, and get that epic loot. Nobody but hardcore RPers would spend all their time having parties in their house.

And that's all player housing would provide, RP. That and maybe dailies that no one will have fun with.
    When I played a shit ton of wildstar I would spend hours just adding things to my house when I wasnt raiding.. being able to just go nuts and add anything I want from size adjustable walls down to putting individual forks and knives on tables to make the house look like its actually lived in. It was the cool factor of doing it, Not once did I have parties in my house it was more of a Hey come look at the new things I did to my house, now lets go do dungeons and shit.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll no.

The development of player housing almost killed the game. Thats right, we had countless games come out, WoW laughed them off. But player housing? That one near knocked WoW out for good.

Player housing is kind of like large-scale pvp. Its a trap. It sounds good in your head, but it never is. Every game its implemented, its either useless outright, or just serves as a trophy room, both of which are a waste of development time.

I didn't even read your post, but glancing up at it - i was right haha. You want it to be a fucking trophy room. Dude, why make an instance trophy room, when you can show your prestige on your character? Know whats a lot better than having a 'fur rug'? a mage tower weapon appearence, or a set of elite pvp gear.
    I'd have to agree with this. While I personally enjoy player housing myself, having done it extensively during my time playing SWTOR, I don't think it works for WoW.
    This game is better suited to having the game world consistently updated rather than an isolated instance where only you or people you invite can enter.
    In my opinion player housing is unfortunately too exclusionary to provide any meaning to this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well that i wouldnt mind, but if we get housing on expense of world content that would be bad
    There is barely any world content to begin with. Hell, the first yr was nothing more then rehashed leveling quests and rares we were doing to level to 120..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StovnZJ View Post
    When I played a shit ton of wildstar I would spend hours just adding things to my house when I wasnt raiding.. being able to just go nuts and add anything I want from size adjustable walls down to putting individual forks and knives on tables to make the house look like its actually lived in. It was the cool factor of doing it, Not once did I have parties in my house it was more of a Hey come look at the new things I did to my house, now lets go do dungeons and shit.
    Yeah well I don't think WoW or Blizzard for that matter would be able to handle that much customization. In WoW, it would probably just give you like premade designs that you can upgrade to similar to how the garrison upgrade system was. If it was something like what you had in Wildstar then I might think differently.

On a side note, I miss that game, I had fun with it. I started an account and played a little of it a while back. A shame it had to shut down. Wish it would've just went F2P
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2019-10-18 at 06:33 PM.

Nah, player housing is trash.
    I played Wildstar, and even with the way they implemented it it was still trash.

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    "But we already had garrisons!"
    Not we. Blizzard.

Blizzard already implemented player housing the way they want to implement it in WoW. It was Garrisons.
    It was cool I guess, until it was quickly abandoned. I doubt they'll try again any time soon.

I personally don't want player housing in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Know whats a lot better than having a 'fur rug'? a mage tower weapon appearence, or a set of elite pvp gear.
    But, man that rug really tied the room together...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    there are many problems with player housing:

-the main hubs being empty, something blizzard doesnt want.
    -we already had player housing with garrisons and it didnt work.

guild housing is a better idea, but that still have some problems.
    But garrisons weren't player housing...

Part of the reason people just stayed in their garrisons because it basically offered you almost everything you needed in the outside world. It even had a AH...

Player housing should be a thing you can decorate and do stuff in but it shouldn't offer resource collection, AH, and other things that should be outside. I've played SWTOR which has personal ships for everyone but there are still plenty of people in the hubs. I still play Rift every now and then which has player housing and even with the rough shape it is in there are still people at the major hubs.

Why is that? Because the major hubs still had things to offer, but with the garrisons there was literally almost nothing that the outside world could offer that garrisons couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    There is barely any world content to begin with. Hell, the first yr was nothing more then rehashed leveling quests and rares we were doing to level to 120..
    thats... pretty much what i said earlier...

Sorry for the wall, here's how I think the best implementation of it would be.

First, lets all hope it's not monetized and we have to pay for it. It should be an instanced area, ideally we would have different options of where we could place it but yeah that may cause some problems. Worst case scenario we have a portal to it in the new portal rooms of the cities which would somewhat help the "the cities would be empty" argument. As long as the house doesn't have a bank or AH like other people have said, I don't see why the cities would be empty, nor even why that would be an issue anyway. People just sit in Org or SW, afking while they wait for queues to pop. Aside from the bank and AH, what reason is there to even visit a city when it's not winterveil or some other event going on?

I don't understand the argument that it would make the world devoid of activity, I think it would incentivize people to go out into the world more
    IF we have a level squish and/or world revamp coming, even more of a reason for playing housing as this would be the time to set aside possible areas for it. Lets say that Admiral worgen dude in deadmines drops a worgen skin rug, or to make a certain chair you have to go collect antelope hooves from the barrens, hey that worldquest (god forbid) over there gives me a god damned curtain!? It would revitalize older areas now devoid of players except for those leveling, and we'd have a reason to go to Uldum to scoop up some special sand to make our windows. The trees in ashenvale (sorry night elves) make for some excellent tables. Maybe once you complete all of the quests in STV, that achievement now comes with a pirate boat shaped bed. Ya get my point

People complain about professions not having enough value, well here ya go! Need to cook some shit on your stove? Blacksmith has ya covered. Need some curtains because those ones from that world quest look like ass? Tailors can make some nice green mistweave ones by going to Pandaria and farming some. Herbalists can collect some kingsblood for you to plant in your nice little garden outside. And guess what? Where can we get all of these things? That's right, from the AUCTION HOUSE in the city.
    Hell, what about having it so that the player who creates the item also has the expertise to install/plant these things in your property and boom, ya get your social interaction when they make that house call.

There's so much that can be done with this and Im sure most of this has been said before. Armor stands to display your tiers and weapons, Frames to hang the head of the boss of your choosing, gardening, gold sink us and we can add some rooms/attic/basement/stable/ what have you. Maybe because your porch is built out of a freshly killed treant, It's family comes seeking revenge on you so you have to invite some people over and after you all kill them all they drop a little pet you can keep on your porch in some sortve sadistic way, tethered to the porch column made from it's mother.

Player housing doesn't have to be mandatory. It can just be another one of those things that the community of collectors appreciate and love doing. Make it time gated, give us something to log in daily and work towards a goal, instead of just...dailys.

And what the hell does it matter to you if you don't like it? Just ignore it like everything else you don't do and keep doin your raids or pvp

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'm glad we have people like you to tell everybody what constitutes "meaningful content." I hate thinking for myself sometimes. And you and I both know Blizzard wouldn't make something like player housing optional. Further, it doesn't add anything to the game other than give players more reasons to be anti-social in a game that is already far too anti-social anyway. So again, please fuck off with player housing.
    I want professions housing/rooms instead tho, i want a alchemy lab more like brill's apothecary alchemy building/room where you can go with people with same profession and only allowed to enter who has it, also making the pots on a big thing like this in the middle:

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Guild Halls > Housing
    Agree

(10 characters)

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Guild Halls > Housing
    Why not both?

FFXIV has theirs set where the "guild hall" has a door you click that accesses a private room for each player. So basically the guild hall is designed/decorated by whoever the guild master gives access to do so. Then each player can go to their own private chamber and design/decorate that room however they wish. XIV's is set up where you can lock the room so nobody can enter or you can leave it open and anyone can go in and take a look around.

If you get kicked out of the guild, all your furnishings are returned to you. If you choose to leave, you can do the same with a click of "vacate room" and leaving the guild.

Only downside I mark against their design is the lofty intentions of having neighborhoods where about 40 houses are all located and you can see them all. This results in a limited number of houses available and shortages in the market that they simply couldn't keep up with despite adding more sub-divisions to each neighborhood (basically copies in different instances). They added instanced apartments for individual players as well, though. Those are essentially a private room in a guild hall without having to be in a guild. (You can have a private room in the guild hall as well as an apartment separately if you like).

For people saying it takes away design from gear.... it doesn't really. The art assets for housing already exist. They're all over the game. Taverns, chairs, all the items that are sitting around the game now already exist. If WoW did theirs instanced, they don't have to design housing or guild hall exteriors. Just the interior and they're done.

Most of the work would be making it all work for item placement and giving some of those design tools to players within the instanced area. What team that adds a work load to, I'm not entirely sure but it wouldn't need to be the art department that's designing your armor sets nor the world assets.

It would not be the raid encounter design either.

It might add a little work to the team that does dungeon/raid layout design as a guild hall design might fall under that umbrella of work?
    Last edited by Faroth; 2019-10-18 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    I would like to see player housing personally, it could add an extra layer of fun for solo play.

I don't believe it would 'make hubs empty' like people fear. FFXIV has player housing/guild and hubs are still booming.
    You also have to ask yourself how many players actually have houses. While a good chunk of the playerbase do have houses, there's still a large population that don't even bother with it.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It's a form of progression, not character progression however. Which is what I focus on, I don't deny that there is some collectible drive for it. Incentive to play old and new zones aren't gameplay in of itself, its incentive to engage in content that already exists which provides it. Housing in of itself doesn't give much gameplay.

If I did dungeon X for gear and they then introduce housing and i have to do dungeon X again for blueprints it's not new gameplay. Simply replayability, which has some value but it also already covered in m+ when it comes to dungeons and raid have replayability through drop rates and multiple tiers of difficulty. WQ's to go out in the world again, etc etc.

I fail to see that the cost for making housing work properly is lower than the gain. I can't see how it's worth it.
    So basically you're saying unless your character's ilvl is increasing, there is absolutely no character progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    People like you are so short sighted. Something YOU don't want is a waste of time? The fact that it could potentially bring back scores of players and KEEP people playing for years goes completely over your head.

Even failed MMOs, like Wildstar and SWG and SWTOR kept players in the game longer with Housing... it was like the last thing anyone did.
    Holy crap dude. SWTOR is still going with a new xpac coming out next week. Don't group it with the dead games. Also, FFXIV has housing too, as does ESO. WoW is literally the only high profile mmo without housing.

But, yes. Housing in SWTOR is pretty cool too. And guess what naysayers? The fleet is still populated. /shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    Player housing is something we need.
    No. Player housing is something you want. I don't need it nor want it.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

I hope they don't add player housing. It's solo player fluff. Look how shit garrisons were.