Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Post Hollywood divided over Ellen DeGeneres hanging out with George W. Bush

SOURCE

Ellen DeGeneres has found herself at the center of a raging controversy.

After being photographed at a Dallas Cowboys football game with former President George W. Bush this past weekend, DeGeneres, 61, took heat on Twitter for spending time with someone at the opposite end of the political spectrum.

She followed up with a statement on her show saying: "I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have. We're all different and I think that we've forgotten that that's okay that we're all different ... but just because I don't agree with someone on everything doesn't mean that I'm not going to be friends with them."

Since then, several celebrities and public figures have voiced their opinions about the issue, and those perspectives are mixed.

Actress Reese Witherspoon voiced her support for DeGeneres in a since-deleted tweet, thanking DeGeneres for her "important reminder."

Kristen Bell, star of NBC's "The Good Place," shared a side-by-side photo of DeGeneres and Bush, 73, with the caption: "She's my
    Both posts drew largely negative responses from commenters, some calling for the posts to be deleted, saying that the actresses were "privileged" and calling Bush harmful to the Middle East and the LGBTQ community.

Meanwhile, Bell's husband, Dax Shepard, responded to Ellen's tweet with "PREACH!"

Country singers Blake Shelton, John Rich and Kelsea Ballerini also voiced their support.

Shelton tweeted: "Amen @TheEllenShow... Thank you for saying this," while Rich sarcastically thanked Hollywood for telling people who they "can/can't be friends with."

Ballerini retweeted DeGeneres' rebuttal with "watch this," followed by a heart emoji.

Other celebrities who expressed support for DeGeneres included Oscar winner Jaime Foxx, actress Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Scooter Braun, Piers Morgan and "Jersey Shore" co-star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi.

The controversy also came up during Thursday's episode of "The View," and co-host Abby Huntsman said when she saw the video, "I didn't spend my Saturday tweeting out ...we should be spending that time with our children, with our family or, heaven forbid, friends that might think differently than we do..."

Huntsman's co-host Joy Behar fired back, saying: "I don't agree with that 100 percent. ... I always said I didn't want to get to know George W. Bush because I knew I would like him. I knew I would because he seems like a likable kind of guy. But if you lost a child in Iraq then you don't like him so much. And I don't see myself hanging out with Donald Trump anytime in this lifetime."

Sunny Hostin agreed with Behar, Meghan McCain said she fell "somewhere in the middle" and Whoopi Goldberg voiced support for DeGeneres "taking a second to show someone humanity."

Among the celebrities who voiced concern about DeGeneres' actions was actor David Cross, who called DeGeneres' defense "weak, self-serving, [sic] dismissive and eye-opening."

Oscar-winner Susan Sarandon quoted Out Magazine's response to the controversy with "But missing the point entirely, DeGeneres framed the issue as simply a matter of her hanging out with someone with different opinions, not a man repeatedly accused of being a war criminal.”

After spending time researching Bush's presidency, Bell's "Good Place" co-star Jameela Jamil tweeted: "What a monstrous leader. I now understand the rage."

Marvel star Mark Ruffalo said that talking about Bush's kindness should be out of the question until he is "brought to justice for the crimes of the Iraq War."

On Tuesday, a spokesperson for Bush told Fox News: "President and Mrs. Bush really enjoyed being with Ellen and Portia (de Rossi) and appreciated Ellen’s comments about respecting one another. They respect her.
    I think a lot of people can learn from Ellen's example, I am friends with all sorts of people regardless of their religious and political views, I might not always agree with my friends but at least I respect them. I am glad in a sea of online hate she didn't back down and stood for what she thought was right.

Do you agree or disagree with her stance?
    Last edited by zenkai; 2019-10-21 at 01:00 PM. Reason: something weird with the code messed up, had to fix

When you consider her supposed leanings, hanging out with someone like that is really bad optics.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool... isn't it?

It really depends on the person in question.

I didn't like him as president however Bush seems like he is fun a parties. After hearing him speak after his presidency without the stress it makes sense to me when people say they are friends with him.

I could never say that about Trump however, he was a scumbag before, during and will continue to be one after his presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think a lot of people can learn from Ellen's example, I am friends with all sorts of people regardless of their religious and political views, I might not always agree with my friends but at least I respect them. I am glad in a sea of online hate she didn't back down and stood for what she thought was right.

Most of us aren't friends with war criminals who threw the world economy into the dumpster.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

I agree with her stance. Those condemning her need to grow up and learn a good lesson of tolerance of those you disagree with.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Being friends with someone with opposing views is fine. It seems the issue some of the celebs here take is Bush's presidential legacy. Would you be friends with someone you consider responsible for serious crimes?

Not commenting on whether these accusations on Bush have merit or not, because I'm not that educated on the subject.

Immature manchilds throwing a tantrum with their pathetic "either you're with us or against us" mentality need to grow the fuck up.

Who gives a shit? These threads feel like tabloid clickbait.

Conservatives should decide whether they actually care what celebrities think/do/say or not. Then let the rest of us know when they've figured it out.

These types of things just shows me that the super rich don't really care about issues that effect the rest of us tbqh. Man sends thousands of our soldiers to die or get crippled as well as cause the death of countless innocents over nothing, but as long as they can laugh over a meme together they can be bffs. Personally, if I knew someone who caused the horror Bush did, I would get the fuck away from that person as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2019-10-21 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have friends that are all races, genders, religions and political beliefs. Do I give a crap that they don't agree with everything I agree with? Hell no, don't give a shit at all. I believe and like what I like and you do the same.....let's just agree not to shove my/your beliefs down the other persons throats and it will be and has been fine for as long as I can remember. I think George W would be fun to hang out with....I think Obama would be too...hell I even think Clinton might be fun, Bill. Look at all the former Presidents and how they have banned together to do so much good for Homes for Humanity or whatever you call it...think they should do that or spend their days tweeting crap about each other and spewing lie after lie about each other? Trump is someone I would never hang out with...ever. But people should mind their own business and not worry so much about who is talking to who.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    Man sends thousands of our soldiers to die or get crippled as well as cause the death of countless innocents over nothing
    Let's not pretend that the rest of the country wasn't cheering him on.

Bush isn't the personification of evil. He might have ideas you don't like, did things you don't support, but he's not a one dimensional evil being. And if she likes him, then great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally would not be friends with a war criminal who thinks my marriage is 'deeply-troubling', but then I'm not a billionaire desperate to protect my class interests

10+ Year Old Account
    I've come around to the idea that George W. was more likely a dupe who was manipulated by the likes of Cheney and Rumsfeld, than the architect of anything himself. I don't really thing Bush, himself, was a war criminal.

But someone in that administration should have been facing down a lifetime sentence for the bullshit that went down in the Iraq war. Handed over to The Hague to let them be tried by international courts for crimes against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Who gives a shit? These threads feel like tabloid clickbait.
    I think it's a life lesson that should be shared

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I've come around to the idea that George W. was more likely a dupe who was manipulated by the likes of Cheney and Rumsfeld, than the architect of anything himself. I don't really thing Bush, himself, was a war criminal.

But someone in that administration should have been facing down a lifetime sentence for the bullshit that went down in the Iraq war. Handed over to The Hague to let them be tried by international courts for crimes against humanity.
    Everyone knows he was a puppet that probably had an ear piece telling him what to say. It’s really obvious when you watch his speeches and there’s long pauses and his fumbling of words, or just saying things that make no sense at all. I had a calendar that had something funny that Bush said for every day of the year.

Good on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I agree with her stance. Those condemning her need to grow up and learn a good lesson of tolerance of those you disagree with.
    Bush killed millions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I personally would not be friends with a war criminal who thinks my marriage is 'deeply-troubling', but then I'm not a billionaire desperate to protect my class interests
    Pretty much the reason she can justify being friends with him. Class interests go above anything with these sort of folk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Let's not pretend that the rest of the country wasn't cheering him on.
    They are also all scum.