Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Classic Loot Etiquette - Have a question

I have been wondering about what is considered normal loot etiquette in PUGs in Classic. So far I have seen the random BOE epic go the way of All NEED, All Greed, and of course the All Greed (wait till all 4 greed, then Ninja Need). Obviously 3 is not ok.

My circumstance is one of my own making where I still came out in the end. DM North Run and Quel'Serrar book drops. I instantly hit greed on reflex, everyone else hesitated and discussion started about everyone rolling Need. I was ass out as I had already greeded, however before the loot was assigned (main tank held his roll for last) the rest of group decided that I should be able to roll and take item if i beat them all.

Tank lost roll to a rogue and then i hit a greed roll and beat everyone. Without skipping a beat, the rogue opened trade and gave it to me. At this point the tank accuses the rogue of ninja'ing the epic because it was not for his class. Everyone disagreed with the tank as no loot rules were specified prior to the run starting AKA book on reserve.

I have lost a few epic boe's to tanks and non casters due to the mindset that all BOE's = need. Is this considered normal for classic, as I am only familiar for what is generally agreed upon for my server.

Thoughts or opinions?

Just dont do pugs, simple.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever happens people are gonna find a way to create drama.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to BoE epics everyone usually needs on it. Doesn't matter if like Foros drop and tank says he really needs it, he will prob put it up on AH anyway. That's the norm in classic

All groups differ. Best thing to do is to hold your roll whenever a valuable commodity drops. and start a discussion right there what to do.

Myself im of the opinion that all boes regardless of what it is should be rolled on by everyone (be it need or greed roll). A boe has the same value to everyone in the group, so thats the most fair way to deal with them imo.
    If its need or greed doesnt rly matter as long as everyone gets to roll. If its really valuable like forors, im partial to all need rolling, because that prevents any1 from being able to ninja it.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

I always roll need on boe epics regardless of what anyone else rolls. I'm not going to pass up on easy gold.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I have been wondering about what is considered normal loot etiquette in PUGs in Classic. So far I have seen the random BOE epic go the way of All NEED, All Greed, and of course the All Greed (wait till all 4 greed, then Ninja Need). Obviously 3 is not ok.

My circumstance is one of my own making where I still came out in the end. DM North Run and Quel'Serrar book drops. I instantly hit greed on reflex, everyone else hesitated and discussion started about everyone rolling Need. I was ass out as I had already greeded, however before the loot was assigned (main tank held his roll for last) the rest of group decided that I should be able to roll and take item if i beat them all.

Tank lost roll to a rogue and then i hit a greed roll and beat everyone. Without skipping a beat, the rogue opened trade and gave it to me. At this point the tank accuses the rogue of ninja'ing the epic because it was not for his class. Everyone disagreed with the tank as no loot rules were specified prior to the run starting AKA book on reserve.

I have lost a few epic boe's to tanks and non casters due to the mindset that all BOE's = need. Is this considered normal for classic, as I am only familiar for what is generally agreed upon for my server.

Thoughts or opinions?
    only invalids and Clinton supporters think all need BOE is acceptable. Never pug. Always run with at least 2 other guildies that way you can set the rules of the run

This is an individual decision. What you will see from all previous threads on this topic is that peoples "code" or etiquette goes straight out the window the moment someone does something they dont agree with. People seem to come down off their high horse the moment someone does anything loot related they dont agree with, and it becomes a free for all. So it becomes a shoot first, or wait to be shot at first question.

The only real "solution" is to run master loot, or run with friends.

Quel sellar is a warrior and paladin tanking mainhand. The warrior needed it and u all greeded for the money. Imagine people rolling need on warglaives of azzinoth because they want the vendor money. Thats what u did.

Might as well roll need on every 2h weapon from now on as they are ez money aswell.

If you PUG never roll first. Wait and see what the rest of the group is doing. If someone is needing for an item they can’t use you need to.

If no one is rolling and the timer is running low press need. Because then someone is waiting for a quick ninja.

According to most people it's "All need on BoE's, unless it's something I want, then I get to need and others pass"

The community is pretty much agreed that you greed roll on stuff unless you're going to equip or use it, up until the item is worth X whereupon all bets are off and you're a moron if you don't hit need. X can vary from "the price of a travellers backpack, or 10g" to "Edgemasters Handguards, or 1k+".

Source: Every single other thread about loot etiquette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account

So, you rolled greed first, then rolled again, because your party acted like dumbasses, and on a second roll you've beaten everyone? Yeah, i'd find it to be ridiculous.

It's a prisoner's dilemma, everyone should roll need, you can't trust pugs, but in a case of a premade party with stakes in future runs - sure, roll whatever you've discussed beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Thoughts or opinions?
    that you should roll need on anything you need instead complaining about non existing forums nostalgia about "etiquet"

learn enchanting and then you can need even on BOP gear as you can always disenchant it and make some good money to help you with raiding, mount, pvp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    I always roll need on boe epics regardless of what anyone else rolls. I'm not going to pass up on easy gold.
    I remember early TBC, someone had this toxic mentality on our server. He followed through and won said item. He got a bonus prize as well, of instantly becoming a known ninja on the server. No guild or group would take him and the guy eventually just disappeared. Either name changed or migrated.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Honestly I don't know why BOEs for some reason are not considered upgrades for the invidual player. The arguement that "anybody can use money" is kinda moot since you do need if need else greed on any other drop and shards can bring in a fair bit of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I remember early TBC, someone had this toxic mentality on our server. He followed through and won said item. He got a bonus prize as well, of instantly becoming a known ninja on the server. No guild or group would take him and the guy eventually just disappeared. Either name changed or migrated.
    Honestly with the amount of people on high pop servers, people can easily blend in. Nobody really seem to care if you ninja'ed a tribute run or whatever. Sure it is announced in /lfg a couple of times, but that's it. All forgotten next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Yeah same, needing on every single item. 4-5 gold for weapons I can't use but it adds up fast for hunderds of golds. It's easier gold than BoE epics.

quel serrar can sell for like 600-1k depending on server, and it is BoE.

you must be a simpleton if you think it should automatically go to warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RainBoi View Post
    Honestly with the amount of people on high pop servers, people can easily blend in. Nobody really seem to care if you ninja'ed a tribute run or whatever. Sure it is announced in /lfg a couple of times, but that's it. All forgotten next day.
    Yep, no one is going to pass on a raid-ready player because "he's a ninja!" according to /whocares

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RainBoi View Post
    Honestly I don't know why BOEs for some reason are not considered upgrades for the invidual player. The arguement that "anybody can use money" is kinda moot since you do need if need else greed on any other drop and shards can bring in a fair bit of money.
    You can see them as a token. You aren't rolling on a compendium for a warrior quest, it's two freezing bands and epic robe recipe equivalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.