Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Personal Space, How much space is enough?

How much personal space are you comfortable with in general with strangers, how close is too close for comfort?

I am going with 12 feet for people and strangers in general.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-10-22 at 04:14 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not touching me or dampening my neck with heavy breathing, I'm alright. Certain circumstances require a lot of unintentional touching which doesn't bother me like crowded lines and such.

Depends entirely of the available space around. I don't expect people to stand 5 meters from me at a crowded bus stop, but I also wouldn't appreciate someone standing right next to me at an empty one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

It depends where it is and who it is. If its a crowded subway, you can't do a lot about it. On the other hand, I remember one day I was in a subway car in NYC, it was maybe 1/6th full. PLENTY of seats. A guy came in and sat right next to me, like touching me as if it were crowded. I got up, and then sat down in the seat across from him. He then began to ask me what my problem was and I asked him what his problem was sitting right next to me when the trains near empty. He never answered, just rattled off curses and asked me to fight, I said I'm right here, come at me. He never did.

In South Korea, I was at a water park. Personal space isn't a thing there.... in line for the rides, people will be right on you. When it was a good looking 20 something girl in a bikini, I let her into my personal space as much as she wanted.... next time in line it was a guy and I put my elbow in his sternum to get him to back off. In general, Id say if space allows, give people space. If it doesn't, well, give them as much as you can, 2 inches beats no inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    [IMG]https://i.redd.it/w92au4w32p1z.png[/]

How much personal space are you comfortable with in general with strangers, how close is too close for comfort?

I am going with 12 feet for people and strangers in general.
    It depends on crowded the area is. It's kind of like driving on an open road, just you and one other car and for some reason they decide to maintain the exact same speed as you do while driving in the lane next to you. "WTF is your problem dude!"

I like this much. I don't know how many feet that is, we use normal measurements.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not Scandinavian so this isn't much of an issue.

No amount of personal space is too much.

I don't get anxious in an elevator or when someone sit next to me in a train/bus etc. but in general I prefer to have a healthy amount of space for myself. Most effectively achieved by having a place of my own. Also, I don't answer my phone, if I don't feel like it.

Amusingly, some random dude just approached me here in the pub, asking if I'm the guy he "scared" here yesterday by bumping into him. I said no and that I was not here yesterday. He tried to strike up convo, but I told him that I'm not here to talk just now, good day. Being that this is finland, he caught my drift and walked off.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

In my country? GET OUT OF MY PERSONAL SPAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    If you're not touching me or dampening my neck with heavy breathing, I'm alright. Certain circumstances require a lot of unintentional touching which doesn't bother me like crowded lines and such.
    Pretty much this.

The only other exception I'd make here is if you have bad breath or otherwise smell bad in general. In that case I'll probably want some extra distance. I don't have a very strong stomach for that sort of thing. I've been in situations at work a handful of times where I was maybe a couple of feet away from someone with the most foul breath you can imagine, but I had to continue acting professional and holding a conversation with that person while I was struggling to not gag.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-24 at 04:49 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just out of arms length for me

Don't stand within 3-5 ft of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Just out of arms length for me
    ^

roughly my height extended outwards.

Hmf...Science seems to think the max distance is 16 inches from the face

Well, I disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can take 5 steps and touch you by reach arms out, you're too close.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

This thread doubles as a chronic anxiety test. Hopefully those affected are getting the right kind of help.

#metoo and people freaking out if someone comes within twelve feet of them are both products of untreated anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I like this much. I don't know how many feet that is, we use normal measurements.

I'd agree with this. Bare minimum, I should be able to extend bended arms, elbows out, and not touch anyone. Anything closer than that and I will start to experience anxiety.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Depends on a lot. On the morning bus to work, I prefer standing to sitting, because the latter means someone in the next seat will be pushing against me. On the evening bus home, just give me a seat if there is one.

Otherwise, I can tolerate people in my face, just not for long.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I'm not Scandinavian so this isn't much of an issue.
    Well, 7 shots of jäger and those 12 feet away quickly turn into 7 inches inside ;P

Personal space is measured by the area of your bed and your room