Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you support a right wing localist movement in the US akin to Hong Kong?

The Hong Kong protests are said to be rooted in localism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localism_in_Hong_Kong

In Hong Kong, localism is a political movement centered on the preservation of the city's autonomy and local culture. The Hong Kong localist movement encompasses a variety of groups with different goals, but all of them oppose the perceived growing encroachment of the Chinese central government on the city's management of its own political, economic, and social affairs.[1][2] Issues of concern to localist groups include land use and development, cultural and heritage conservation on the left[citation needed], parallel trading and the increasing number of mainland immigrants and tourists on the right.

So would you support a right wing region in Texas (or perhaps spread across several states) began a Hong Kong style protest in the style of Hong Kong? The stated goal of this right wing movement would be to preserve state autonomy, local right wing culture, opposition to growing left wing encroachment on the region's management and its own political, economic, and social affairs, and to promote cultural and heritage conservation, and to block the increasing number of immigrants.

I think something like this is likely to happen. With republicans on the verge of revolt, I think the odds that such a revolt is done in the style of Hong Kong is a possibility.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmmm this is starting to sound like a certain movement.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Party
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think something like this is likely to happen.
    I think we'll see it happen in Hispanic areas first TBH, as part of the eventual breakup of the USA. Nothing short of deporting about a hundred million (!) people is going to stop that from happening IMHO, so it's not a case of "will it happen?" but "when will it happen?".

Anyway, seeing as a right-wing separatist movement would be the best chance of the American nation (note: not the nation-state) surviving, along with the ideals of the Founding Fathers, yes I'd support it.
    Still not tired of winning.

Not sure if weak gotcha attempt or weak fishing for more masturbation material for your civil war fetish.

Was the Warsaw Uprising also a right-wing localist movement?
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-10-22 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    hmmm this is starting to sound like a certain movement.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Party
    Are you calling the Hong Kong separatist movement a nazi movement?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Not sure if weak gotcha attempt or weak fishing for more masturbation material for your civil war fetish.

Was the Warsaw Uprising also a right-wing localist movement?
    Again its not "my civil war fetish". There's plenty of researchers and experts that see the US on the edge of civil war. Reported for trolling.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Reported for trolling.
    Okay. Was the Warsaw Uprising also a right-wing localist movement?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Again its not "my civil war fetish". There's plenty of researchers and experts that see the US on the edge of civil war.
    Every time I've seen you say this, there's always a lack of links to these studies.

10+ Year Old Account
    TIL calls for Democracy and fair governing are considered right wing.

What a load of nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you calling the Hong Kong separatist movement a nazi movement?

- - - Updated - - -

Again its not "my civil war fetish". There's plenty of researchers and experts that see the US on the edge of civil war. Reported for trolling.
    no i'm saying your 'movement' resembles a lot of the ideas of the nazi party. nationialism. hating immigrants. seeing their culture as superior. extreme opposition to left wing ideas. 'promoting cultural and heritage' conversation just sounds like another dog whistle euthanism(sp?) for what the nazi's did in the 1930's against who they didn't like. aka passing laws against them and criminalizing them. basically it sounds a lot like one of those neo nazi movements that spring up all over the southwest and some places in the remote northwest.
    this civil war of yours you keep reposting will never happen. last time it did the south lost. at best this time around they would control most of the corn supply and a chunk of the missle silos. which is a small amount of our missle stockpile.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-10-22 at 02:09 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    basically it sounds a lot like one of those neo nazi movements that spring up all over the southwest and some places in the remote northwest.
    It made me think of the Northwest Territorial Imperative, but at least those folks were upfront about it being racism that motivated them. Well I suppose Teleros admitted it too.
    /s

no i'm saying your 'movement' resembles a lot of the ideas of the nazi party. nationialism. hating immigrants. seeing their culture as superior. extreme opposition to left wing ideas.
    What are you talking about?

Its is not "my movement". I directly linked to a wiki page about nativism in the Hong Kong movement. One of the BIG concerns of the Hong Kong protests is a massive immigrant wave wiping out their culture. They fear that China will quite literally abduct them in the night and replace them with a mainland Chinese. They quite literally see their culture as superior to mainland China.

Did you read the wiki page?

I'm certainly a federalist and would prefer a return to more federalist principles - we've nationalized far too many things necessarily and the United States federal government is simply not very good at administering the sorts of programs that it's committed to. Importantly, this is not an inherently right or left view. Instead, I'd prefer that states have much more leeway to make their own decisions about whether they'd like to be more right or left leaning.

For my own preferences, I'd be likely to prefer a state that's left of the American center with something akin to universal health insurance provided by the state government and a fairly strong social safety net for residents (although not for newcomers). I'd also prefer a generally laissez-faire approach to most social policies - marriage equality, drug decriminalization, liberal gun laws (especially outside of cities).

That said, I don't begrudge people in Montana to live much more right-wing than I'd prefer or California to live much more left-wing than I'd prefer. Local determination with federal unity for coordination and defense issues was always the intention behind the Republic prior to it being effectively crushed by the Civil War and then FDR's policies.

The OP knows their horrific views are not acceptable to society today, so he/she/it is trying to justify planting the seeds of alt-reicht open rebellion if/when Dumbass Dump is impeached/voted out by twisting the views of a noble cause to mask their horrific views by somehow painting their views as equal to that of HK.

Here's the reality OP, your views would be protested against as well by the Hong Kong people.

You want to hold rallys and make your voice heard, go for it.

But DON'T use it as an excuse to plant the seeds for your outright desire for rebellion.

I would whole-heartedly support less Federal intervention in local politics. The only role of the Federal Government should be the power to coin money, to regulate commerce, to declare war, to raise and maintain armed forces, immigration and border control, and transport mail. Everything that is not one of these things should fall under the State Government. This includes all non-interstate infrastructure, education, police, fire, social programs, healthcare, etc etc etc…

I also believe that here are a few things that should be decided by an assembly of states, but should be universally accepted. These things include driver’s licenses and most personal permits (firearms, etc).

So to answer your question, yes, I would love it if the Federal Government would stay the hell out of our lives.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

You need to come up with new material, OP. This shit has not been funny in a while.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Im completely confused by this thread...what the hell is going on here?

So would you support a right wing region in Texas (or perhaps spread across several states) began a Hong Kong style protest in the style of Hong Kong?
    Let me know when there's a region of Texas that was actually owned by another country that supports Democracy within nation that does not, and that country gives up control of the region with an agreement with the home country that the locality will retain autonomy.

Because the situations aren't remotely similar in any way, shape, or form.

I think something like this is likely to happen. With republicans on the verge of revolt, I think the odds that such a revolt is done in the style of Hong Kong is a possibility.
    "Not getting your way" and "The country is absolutely violating human rights" aren't the same thing, and if Republicans are so lost that they confuse the two that's a problem for the party.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2019-10-22 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm certainly a federalist and would prefer a return to more federalist principles - we've nationalized far too many things necessarily and the United States federal government is simply not very good at administering the sorts of programs that it's committed to. Importantly, this is not an inherently right or left view. Instead, I'd prefer that states have much more leeway to make their own decisions about whether they'd like to be more right or left leaning.

For my own preferences, I'd be likely to prefer a state that's left of the American center with something akin to universal health insurance provided by the state government and a fairly strong social safety net for residents (although not for newcomers). I'd also prefer a generally laissez-faire approach to most social policies - marriage equality, drug decriminalization, liberal gun laws (especially outside of cities).

That said, I don't begrudge people in Montana to live much more right-wing than I'd prefer or California to live much more left-wing than I'd prefer. Local determination with federal unity for coordination and defense issues was always the intention behind the Republic prior to it being effectively crushed by the Civil War and then FDR's policies.
    The Fed may do a poor job of administering some of their programs, but some states do even worst job at it. Or they don't even have the resources.

Dam safety is a perfect example. According to the ACOE, there are 2,271 dams in Alabama. Yet, the state has no dam safety program, nor a dam safety agency. Currently, the state has no assessment on the conditions of 98% of their dams. Without Federal intervention nothing will get done in states like Alabama.

Aging And Underfunded: America's Dam Safety Problem, In 4 Charts

The state of drinking water infrastructure in rural Kentucky is another example. The population density in some areas is too small to support infrastructure upgrade without huge increases to rate payers. Without Fed funding or grant, the work will not get done.

Rural Kentucky Residents Living with Contaminated Water for Years

Residents In Kentucky's Martin County Face Escalating Water Bills

- - - Updated - - -

What are you talking about?

Its is not "my movement". I directly linked to a wiki page about nativism in the Hong Kong movement. One of the BIG concerns of the Hong Kong protests is a massive immigrant wave wiping out their culture. They fear that China will quite literally abduct them in the night and replace them with a mainland Chinese. They quite literally see their culture as superior to mainland China.

Did you read the wiki page?
    There is a difference between Hong Kong and a random territory in the middle of Texas. Hong Kong had and still has a self-sustaining robust economy. There are no US major metropolitan areas that are overwhelmingly right leaning right now. The top 10 major metropolitan areas that Trump won in 2016 election have all moved left in the 2018 election. Whatever so called right wing region you have in mind, without a the support of a major metropolitan area, will have a hard time growing beyond the basic hunter/gatherer economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Let me know when there's a region of Texas that was actually owned by another country that supports Democracy within nation that does not, and that country gives up control of the region with an agreement with the home country that the locality will retain autonomy.

Because the situations aren't remotely similar in any way, shape, or form.
    When you say that "the situations are different", the right wing localist movement wouldn't consider that code for "the situations are different because the US revolt would involve white people revolting and you are racist against white people". Even if you genuinely feel no racism towards whites, that is perhaps the absolute WORST statement to make. That would be highly inflammatory. Even if you didn't mean it, that is what they will infer.

The CORE of such a revolt would be grounded in the belief that the left is racist against whites. So, yah, what you wrote would be considered racist by them.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-10-22 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    There is a difference between Hong Kong and a random territory in the middle of Texas. Hong Kong had and still has a self-sustaining robust economy. There are no US major metropolitan areas that are overwhelmingly right leaning right now. The top 10 major metropolitan areas that Trump won in 2016 election have all moved left in the 2018 election. Whatever so called right wing region you have in mind, without a the support of a major metropolitan area, will have a hard time growing beyond the basic hunter/gatherer economy.
    Any actual Far Right areas in the country that tried to secede or have autonomy like Hong Kong would literally go bankrupt within the a few months to a year at most. The areas would go for the Civil War the OP keeps pushing for have no way to support themselves because they have no real economies nor infrastructure to support themselves. Top it all off these areas are also generally completely dependent on Federal money to even keep themselves afloat.