Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll no.

The development of player housing almost killed the game. Thats right, we had countless games come out, WoW laughed them off. But player housing? That one near knocked WoW out for good.

Player housing is kind of like large-scale pvp. Its a trap. It sounds good in your head, but it never is. Every game its implemented, its either useless outright, or just serves as a trophy room, both of which are a waste of development time.

I didn't even read your post, but glancing up at it - i was right haha. You want it to be a fucking trophy room. Dude, why make an instance trophy room, when you can show your prestige on your character? Know whats a lot better than having a 'fur rug'? a mage tower weapon appearence, or a set of elite pvp gear.
    Man that's a stupid statement. We're talking reeaallllyy dumb. And smug. Never understood why dumb and smug go together so often, you'd think people would wait til they say something intelligent to seem proud of themselves but hey...

You think Garrisons were what killed WoD? An utter lack of content killed WoD. Having a Daily Quest each day killed WoD. Having rep grinds be exclusively Mob Grinds killed WoD. Garrison assets were used and reused ad infinitum and have been used to great effect in plenty of locations and will certainly make revamping Orcish areas far, far easier in the future. The fact that the ability to customize your garrison was limited to which buildings you had and what Guards were in there made it nothing like Player Housing and it sure as hell didn't scratch anyone's Housing itch.

Serving as a trophy room is almost exactly the point. What's the point of Transmog? Mount collecting? Pet collecting? Achievement grinding? Finding different avenues for players to enjoy the game through! What's the point of Player Housing? Oh right SAME STORY! Now obviously there are some challenges to allowing Player Housing, placement of items being the largest one, but you are an absolute fool if you don't believe that the core of Player Housing ends up being Asset Reuse; it doesn't end up requiring a lot in the way of new models or art assets for the furniture or the houses. It can create new markets by having crafting professions create furniture to use. It gives players new things to work towards.

You know what's a lot better than having a Mage Tower Weapon Appearance or an Elite PvP Set? Having somewhere you get to show them off to the world besides just on your character.

Seriously where is your personal loss if they add Player Housing? It's not something anyone would have to play into, so it's hardly like it's being forced on you. So it sounds like you're just being some elitist who thinks everyone should play Your way and I have no time for that. Now I don't think Player Housing is coming, at least not in the upcoming expansion, given that nothing datamined even hints at it and there would probably be at least a few lines of code that would for that kind of feature, but I can't see any argument against it's inclusion — just arguments tied to its implementation.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    proper housing will always be my most requested feature till we get it... and the thing that would keep me engaged the most
    Yeah, but I wouldn't count on it. Blizz always takes the lazy way out. I gave up on this company producing the latest and greatest a long time ago. The best it can do is continue to count those nostalgia dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    You think Garrisons were what killed WoD? An utter lack of content killed WoD. Having a Daily Quest each day killed WoD. Having rep grinds be exclusively Mob Grinds killed WoD. Garrison assets were used and reused ad infinitum and have been used to great effect in plenty of locations and will certainly make revamping Orcish areas far, far easier in the future. The fact that the ability to customize your garrison was limited to which buildings you had and what Guards were in there made it nothing like Player Housing and it sure as hell didn't scratch anyone's Housing itch.
    And guess why you had no content? Because Garrisons took all the dev time.

ANd of course you can't see any argument against it's inclusion. You want it in game, so no argument against it willever count in your mind. And we have already told you an argument againist it. That development time should be used to develop world content, not wasted on an instance so you can play house. Sims --> if you want to play house. Keep it out of WARcraft.

its called the tillers in mop and garrison in wod.. go there. they will prob not add actual housing in wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Guild Halls > Housing
    and if you dont have/wanna a guild?
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

Nah, don't think we need housing. At all.

It's a cool feature, if well made (ie. Wildstar housing plots were sensational, same with armor dyeing, but alas), but far from a necessity.

That said, WoW sucked with their player customized features (MoP farm and WoD garrisons, even if far from original design), so i think they should just avoid it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    That said, WoW sucked with their player customized features (MoP farm and WoD garrisons, even if far from original design), so i think they should just avoid it completely.
    Yup, continue to support this company with your 15/mo that provides mediocre experiences. You said it yourself. They're too incompetent to provide anything. Your nostalgia dollars is all they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartys View Post
    and if you dont have/wanna a guild?
    get one. /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    Now you might say one of 2 thing. "But we already had garrisons!" or "Lets just have guild housing for the "MMO" game!"

Here are my responses. Garrisons are not player housing by a mile. and 2, Who says player housing has to be solo only? Did anyone play games like Runescape? where you could have mini games and even dungeons inside of your home and invite others in for parties? (not to mention demon butlers!) Ark and conan exiles you can invite others in for RP or as a base of operation.

Player housing would be content in the game that would not only bring us back to older content, but last up through new content and even last through future expansions, instead of being an expansion feature and being left behind like the farm.

The only issue i can think of, is how you would build the base of the house, because we would have 3 options;

1; The home is pre-built but you can decorate it (almost like skyrim but you can add in what ever furniture you want)
    2; You can build it in spaces / rooms and add upstairs and downstairs. (Like in Runescape)
    3; You have full control of building it like in Ark or Conan exiles.

The game should allow us to have a choice between various areas of the game. Like choosing to live in tanaris, winterspring, mulgore, etc. But it would just be a template and it would ne instance. Like the homes in runescape. That you would need to venture to the portal of the designated zone to enter. (This would also allow for gathering hubs for players who wish to form parties.)

Now for the content.

Up untill now I have been using runescape alot as an example, one thing I do not want from runescape, however, is the building profession grind. While I am not fully opposed to having a profession for creating and selling various furniture, and it would allow for more ingame trading between people. I think other ways of collecting furniture, or even the recipes to create the furniture should remain in the world, pvp and in PVP.. (and maybe pet battles for those people too)

There can be standard tables and chairs, but themed furniture and decor is what most people want.

How about we return to WoD to find and collect Orcish tables, banners, fur rugs?
    Or gnomergan for gnomish decor?
    Even northrend for the more northern, hunting lodge themed decor sets, or even vrykrul themed?
    Mulgore and highmountain for tauren totems.

There are LOADS of possibilities with player housing that can be a reward for many current and even new forms of content that can bring us back to older expacs and even feed into newer expacs so it will always be relevant.

And the best part, unlike garrisons, these would be cosmetic only, and not mandatory for raiding
    Everything you have described could be likened to petbattles. A non mandatory part of the game that a very small subset of players would actually use. Art assets are apparently expensive to make. Why would you dedicate time to something that barely anyone would do? If you added player progression to it then all of a sudden it becomes mandatory and will be one of the most hated things in the game. Imagine if instead of a neck we have to level, we have to get a chair and without this stupid chair you couldn't use bonus abilities on your chairzerite chest. Blizzard has already moved away from this design and they did it mid expansion which is very unusual because players hated it so much.

In short housing is stupid unless it's tied to player progression but this will never happen because of the backlash of not being able to use traits on azerite gear.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Everything you have described could be likened to petbattles. A non mandatory part of the game that a very small subset of players would actually use. Art assets are apparently expensive to make. Why would you dedicate time to something that barely anyone would do? If you added player progression to it then all of a sudden it becomes mandatory and will be one of the most hated things in the game. Imagine if instead of a neck we have to level, we have to get a chair and without this stupid chair you couldn't use bonus abilities on your chairzerite chest. Blizzard has already moved away from this design and they did it mid expansion which is very unusual because players hated it so much.

In short housing is stupid unless it's tied to player progression but this will never happen because of the backlash of not being able to use traits on azerite gear.
    But all art assets already exist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    get one. /10chars
    Why? You dont need it if you dont do raid.

That is the point and the reason why a "guild house" cant have same sort of mecanics like "garrison": can't be mandatory, just a "cosmetic" thing.
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    And guess why you had no content? Because Garrisons took all the dev time.

ANd of course you can't see any argument against it's inclusion. You want it in game, so no argument against it willever count in your mind. And we have already told you an argument againist it. That development time should be used to develop world content, not wasted on an instance so you can play house. Sims --> if you want to play house. Keep it out of WARcraft.
    Yeahhhh I am so sure, so very very sure, that WoD's lack of content was due to the resource constraints of Garrisons. It definitely had nothing to do with their stated intention at that time to move to a New Expansion Every Year, designing WoD to only have about half the content of a full expansion. Nope nothing at all. Especially not since the Garrisons would hav been predominantly a strain on the art design team not the major content development teams. I mean do you remember those big sweeping garrison additions like throughout the patch cycles? Totally kept the teams swamped. Nailing a set of docks to it sure took a ton of effort!

No one has ever had a good point when they felt the need to capitalize the War in Warcraft; at some point you have to realize it's the name of the IP not the entirety of its existence.

And no, if you can raise a point beyond what breaks down to the snide 'It will cost a raid tier' meme of a reason, I will listen. Yet you won't listen to why some players would enjoy the content, the way the content could positively effect the game (Gold Sinks are good for the economy, more regular demand for Professions is good for players), the excitement it could garner for the game and all the other upsides of adding even more ways for players to enjoy their time in the game. You want to be an elitist telling other people how to play their games and invalidating the things they want because it would take development time. Again, I don't see it happening — at least not until 10.0 at the earliest — but I can sure as hell see the upsides of the system.

And again, I remind you, most of how a Player/Guild Housing System would have to work in terms of WoW's systems? They would be reused assets. The other new assets they'd have to build would almost universally be static objects that are far easier to make then new pets, mounts or enemies. Development time is again hardly an excuse; the fact that a lot of people want it and would enjoy make it just as valid for development time. Hell Blizz could pay enough to hire an extra team exclusively for Player Housing with a lot less money than what they shadily dodge in taxes each year — you do know that the 'small indie company' thing people say is a joke right?
    Last edited by Faerillis; 2019-10-22 at 10:50 AM.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Yeahhhh I am so sure, so very very sure, that WoD's lack of content was due to the resource constraints of Garrisons. It definitely had nothing to do with their stated intention at that time to move to a New Expansion Every Year, designing WoD to only have about half the content of a full expansion. Nope nothing at all. Especially not since the Garrisons would hav been predominantly a strain on the art design team not the major content development teams. I mean do you remember those big sweeping garrison additions like throughout the patch cycles? Totally kept the teams swamped. Nailing a set of docks to it sure took a ton of effort!

No one has ever had a good point when they felt the need to capitalize the War in Warcraft; at some point you have to realize it's the name of the IP not the entirety of its existence.

And no, if you can raise a point beyond what breaks down to the snide 'It will cost a raid tier' meme of a reason, I will listen. Yet you won't listen to why some players would enjoy the content, the way the content could positively effect the game (Gold Sinks are good for the economy, more regular demand for Professions is good for players), the excitement it could garner for the game and all the other upsides of adding even more ways for players to enjoy their time in the game. You want to be an elitist telling other people how to play their games and invalidating the things they want because it would take development time. Again, I don't see it happening — at least not until 10.0 at the earliest — but I can sure as hell see the upsides of the system.

And again, I remind you, most of how a Player/Guild Housing System would have to work in terms of WoW's systems? They would be reused assets. The other new assets they'd have to build would almost universally be static objects that are far easier to make then new pets, mounts or enemies. Development time is again hardly an excuse; the fact that a lot of people want it and would enjoy make it just as valid for development time. Hell Blizz could pay enough to hire an extra team exclusively for Player Housing with a lot less money than what they shadily dodge in taxes each year — you do know that the 'small indie company' thing people say is a joke right?
    Garrisons were, by their own admission, a big consumer of development resources and time. IN fat, they also admitted they had to cut some of the things they wanted to because it was going to take time they already didn't have. So, it is a far better use of that time to make open world content and not wate it on an instnace so you can play house. It would also be a better use to create new assets and stop relying so heavily on reusing old assets. ALso, you are the onw who won't listen to why we don't want it in the game and what kind of content that should be in the game. You have to play your stupid game of house. WoW has been perfectly fine for 15 years without housing. It absolutely does not need it and those of you that want to play house can go play Sims.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Class Halls were perfect, because people HAD to go to them every day or so, and the people in them had things in common, so it created a sense of community.

Player housing doesn't have that, and neither does Guild Halls. WoW players are NOT invested in guilds outside of the 100 club. People simply don't care about other people in their guilds at all, haven't since cross-realm pugging came along. So there's no reason whatsoever to make either of those features, the result will inevitably be nobody using them.

Garrisons were, by their own admission, a big consumer of development resources and time.
    Maybe it didn't have to be that way though. They stayed with the same size team, but if they expanded and recruited more staff/devs just for housing, those new staff members could have worked on that feature, while the rest did everything else the expansion normally comes with (new quests/maps, dungeons, raids etc.). It would cost more money though to hire more staff on the team, but I believe it can pay off if they take a risk.

If Blizzard is only willing to invest the bare minimum for every expansion for WoW, then WoW might continue to make them money, but it won't attract a new audience. You realize how popular the Sims even is historically? It's even bigger than WoW. MMORPG housing isn't quite the same either, as the Sims has an isometric viewpoint rather than third-person, and also in the Sims you have to take care of your Sims' needs/wants constantly, which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yup, continue to support this company with your 15/mo that provides mediocre experiences. You said it yourself. They're too incompetent to provide anything. Your nostalgia dollars is all they need.
    ?

15$\mo would be a meager value for the hours of enjoyment i get, i've paid sub and every (and i mean all) bnet products with in-game gold evern since it's possible, and lastly, my enjoyment of the game doesn't come from those features, i couldn't care less if there's housing in wow. I can still acknowledge that their attempts were bad.

So, i don't really understand your silly rant.

The OP is why he/she WANTS player housing, but it is FAR from expressing why we NEED it.

I remain unconvinced as to why anyone would think we need player housing. The game has survived this long without it, so forgive my skepticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Maybe it didn't have to be that way though. They stayed with the same size team, but if they expanded and recruited more staff/devs just for housing, those new staff members could have worked on that feature, while the rest did everything else the expansion normally comes with (new quests/maps, dungeons, raids etc.). It would cost more money though to hire more staff on the team, but I believe it can pay off if they take a risk.

If Blizzard is only willing to invest the bare minimum for every expansion for WoW, then WoW might continue to make them money, but it won't attract a new audience. You realize how popular the Sims even is historically? It's even bigger than WoW. MMORPG housing isn't quite the same either, as the Sims has an isometric viewpoint rather than third-person, and also in the Sims you have to take care of your Sims' needs/wants constantly, which is annoying.
    Buty they weren't inviesting a bare minimum. THey put in a very significant time and resource development into Garrisons at it was to be the core feature of the expansion.

That said the core point is similar between this dumb player housing and Sims. It's to play house. Doesn't matter what the viewpoint is, it's what the end result is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
    Class Halls were perfect, because people HAD to go to them every day or so, and the people in them had things in common, so it created a sense of community.

Player housing doesn't have that, and neither does Guild Halls. WoW players are NOT invested in guilds outside of the 100 club. People simply don't care about other people in their guilds at all, haven't since cross-realm pugging came along. So there's no reason whatsoever to make either of those features, the result will inevitably be nobody using them.
    Class halls never did ANY of that. THere was no socializing whatsoever. You went in, took care of yoru mission table and artifat weapon, and left.

Housing gives blizzard the chance to expand professions, recipe drops for farming, and even an additional source of revenue for cosmetics. I don't see why they WOULDN'T do housing. The problem is Blizzard hates customization because they want 100% control of what you get to experience. Sometimes they are just really stubborn about how they do things.

Buty they weren't inviesting a bare minimum. THey put in a very significant time and resource development into Garrisons at it was to be the core feature of the expansion.

That said the core point is similar between this dumb player housing and Sims. It's to play house. Doesn't matter what the viewpoint is, it's what the end result is.
    Man you just dig your dumb hole deeper and deeper.

Garrisons were a core feature in an expansion designed to have half the content life of a normal expansion. Expanding the Dev Team for a specific feature that would have huge player draw is a perfectly good suggestion (they've got money to spare). Despite your efforts to go 'Lalalalalala not listening' the benefits have been listed here time and time again:

—New Substantial Gold Sink
    —Massive additions to Professions
    —A brand new Market to exploit on the AH
    —A Player-hook/draw feature to bring in new players and bring back old players
    —Lots of potential new reasons to do old content
    —New potential rewards for PvP and PvE content

Seriously, your argument could easily have been against Transmog or Pet Battles or Toys or Mounts. Imagine how many more art assets we'd have if we just had a Wolf, a Horse, a Windrider and a Gryphon to ride.... see how that sounds boring and stupid? That's your stance here. I'll parrot this from a poster above 'If you want to raid, play Runescape.'

Also two things about your Sims comparison:

First, who the fuck are you to tell me how I should enjoy playing any game?
    Two, you don't seem to know what Playing House means. This doesn't surprise me, you seem to have the rage and edginess of someone who has never cough 'played house', but it's incredibly stupid. You don't play Sims just to decorate a house and have your own space to show off, you play it for the control you get of the simulated characters you can only partly control. Player Housing is all about showing off and customization. Totally different itches.