Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Can anyone explain why being automatically registered to vote for elections is bad?

I've seen people call it bad repeated quite a few times now in social media.

Why is this such a controversial thing to suggest? Is there not just benefits to gain from registering everyone automatically to vote? No downsides?

Because to a lot of people (Republicans) registering every one to vote means the wrong people (non white) may vote,and they just can't stand that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why is this such a controversial thing to suggest?
    It shouldn't be and it isn't for some states, though this should be applied Federally but some Republicans will probably make any excuse not to and Whine about Big Government even though you can opt out.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Why is this such a controversial thing to suggest? Is there not just benefits to gain from registering everyone automatically to vote? No downsides?
    If you're too lazy to register to vote you probably too lazy to research who you're voting for, thus whats it the point of you voting if you don't care? Do you think people who are too lazy to register will show up to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    thus whats it the point of you voting if you don't care?
    LMAO Who said anything about Voting? Did you misread something again?

Do you think people who are too lazy to register will show up to vote?
    Nothing wrong with Auto Registration.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-10-24 at 01:57 PM.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    LMAO Who said anything about Voting? Did you misread something again?

Care to explain What's exactly the problem of Auto Registry?
    I see you don't understand the logistics.
    Care to explain how that works, how do they know when you move?

If you're too lazy to register to vote you probably too lazy to research who you're voting for, thus whats it the point of you voting if you don't care? Do you think people who are too lazy to register will show up to vote?
    Yeah, the people who registered to vote are totally up on everything.......sigh
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Yeah, the people who registered to vote are totally up on everything.......sigh
    They're not, evidence of what people post here proves that, I am saying if they are too lazy to register they definitely are too lazy to research who they are voting for. Registration takes almost no effort, there is no excuse.

Odd that you need to register in the US. Everyone in Denmark get's an election card mailed. Bring it with your ID on election day, not a big issue.

For comparison, the voter turnout in the US for the 2016 election was 60.2% vversus 84.5% in the Danish 2019 election, which was even lower than the previous election.

Can only conclude that the others are right, and of course Republicans like Zenkai will make up any BS argument for not removing a unnecessary registration process.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get mail when you move omg the magic postal office!

And I see you don't know any better like usual.

If done federally then they can easily find out through taxes and/or various methods.

- - - Updated - - -

Registration takes almost no effort, there is no excuse.
    Why Register when it can be done federally easy?

They're not, evidence of what people post here proves that, I am saying if they are too lazy to register they definitely are too lazy to research who they are voting for. Registration takes almost no effort, there is no excuse.
    You're equating two actions that are in no way similar.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Once you register to vote in Ohio, you stay registered as long as you maintain a record of voting at least once every few years. Unless you move. So in that sense, it is automatic and I see no problem with it. I have to show proof who I am when I go to vote each time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Once you register to vote in Ohio, you stay registered as long as you maintain a record of voting at least once every few years. Unless you move. So in that sense, it is automatic and I see no problem with it. I have to show proof who I am when I go to vote each time.
    Same way it's here too, when I get my license changed over which is required by law within 2 weeks you move, you can register at the same time. It literally takes 0 effort and I stay registered as long as I vote. There pretty much is 0 excuse not too unless you're lazy as fuck.

Same way it's here too, when I get my license changed over which is required by law within 2 weeks you move, you can register at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you support a quiz for everyone who wants to vote about the consitution, laws and processes? Of course they need to pass to be eligable to vote.

If you're too lazy to research the processes and norms of the political system you want to be part of, what's the point in voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    You're equating two actions that are in no way similar.
    I disagree, I find it rather fool hearty and quite ignorant of someone who is willing to research who they want to vote for, willing to drive out and stand in line to vote but refuse to register. That person probably is a habitual lazy person who makes poor life choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    You yet explain how being automatically registers will work logistically. How does the government know I moved to know where I should vote for Federal, State, and Local elections?

I disagree, I find it rather fool hearty and quite ignorant of someone who is willing to research who they want to vote for, willing to drive out and stand in line to vote but refuse to register.
    Again, not Similar. Some people also don't have time to register and it has Proven that Auto Registry is Healthy for Democracy.

You yet explain how being automatically registers will work logistically. How does the government know I moved to know where I should vote for Federal, State, and Local elections?
    You do know it's extremely easy for the Government to Collect Information about you, You act like this is something extremely hard to do when other Countries have easily done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Odd that you need to register in the US. Everyone in Denmark get's an election card mailed. Bring it with your ID on election day, not a big issue.

For comparison, the voter turnout in the US for the 2016 election was 60.2% vversus 84.5% in the Danish 2019 election, which was even lower than the previous election.

Can only conclude that the others are right, and of course Republicans like Zenkai will make up any BS argument for not removing a unnecessary registration process.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get mail when you move omg the magic postal office!
    1. not a republican
    2. How does your government know where to send your card?

2. How does your government know where to send your card?
    LMAO you act like it's hard for the Government to Collect information about you.

I disagree, I find it rather fool hearty and quite ignorant of someone who is willing to research who they want to vote for, willing to drive out and stand in line to vote but refuse to register. That person probably is a habitual lazy person who makes poor life choices.
    There's nothing to disagree with.

Registering to vote and researching candidates/issues are, in fact, and demonstrably so, two completely different reactions. They are not similar in any way. They even require different resources to achieve.

You are basically saying if someone can't hit a fastball then they also cannot use stairs.