Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    That's one hell of a claim with very little evidence behind it. A lot of fans grew up in the time between movies where the franchise was carried on by games and books.
    A lot of fans have read Marvel comic books. But the majority of the fans of the movies have not.

Same goes for SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    All Spoilers:

counter argument: a well thought out essay as to why TLJ is a blockbuster cinematic masterpiece

Sorry, but if something is a shit sandwich an argument isn't going to make it taste better.

What I cannot understand is how Disney, on approaching the latest trilogy, DIDN'T nail-down a strong, well conected, drama-building 3-part storyline for the films and just made it up as they went along.

It blows my mind.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2019-10-26 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    IDK, our teachers published book lists which they would accept for that, they didn't let us read just anything, otherwise comic books would have counted towards Book-It.
    So they only allowed the so called literary masterpieces that all schools still require kids to read these days. They have a failing where they refuse to accept that new great works have been written in the past 50 years. I only read scifi and iv run across many books thats id recommend to kids before the shit that we were forced to read in school.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    What I cannot understand is how Disney, on approaching the latest trilogy, DIDN'T nail-down a strong, well conected, drama-building 3-part storyline for the films and just made it up as they went along.

It blows my mind.
    disney doesnt care about anything but selling swag. if they did the story wouldnt be the burning fucking trainwreck it is after they retconned the EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexaniro View Post
    counter argument: a well thought out essay as to why TLJ is a blockbuster cinematic masterpiece
    Have you actually watched that video or are you posting it just as a counter? Cause it really is a crazy man's take on the film.

These guys had a debate with him on his video and his leaps in logic are astounding.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

7+ Year Old Account
    Notes on the new The Rise of Skywalker trailer and addendums to my story summaries. [by JediPaxis]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...alker_trailer/

Is Anakin in the movie?
    If he is, I don't know about it.

Is there an explanation of how Palpatine survived ROTJ?
    I believe so, but if you're looking for something detailed I don't think you'll find it here. My understanding is that it might be left a little ambiguous.

Do we see any Force ghosts in the movie?
    Yes. Luke on Ahch-to and Luke and Leia at the end on Tatooine. We hear voices of other Jedi, but the only two I've specifically been told are Obi-Wan and Ahsoka.

Does Kylo/Ben really die in the movie?
    According to my sources (and I trust what they have to say or else I wouldn't have written about it), yes. He falls down a pit and that's the last we see of him.

10+ Year Old Account

It blows my mind.
    I mean, Star Wars has always been made up movie-by-movie and the closest they've ever gotten to a "grand plan" was the prequels.

A New Hope was made as a solo film, no expectation of a sequel.
    ESB was made expecting a third, but includes the Luke and Leia french session.
    And RotJ retconned them into being siblings.

Not to mention Ewoks being tossed into the third film to sell toys to kids, ship and vehicles designed with an eye to selling toys, etc. The OT isn't the high-principle auteur's vision some fans pretend it is. The special effects were groundbreaking, the story has always been janky.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, Star Wars has always been made up movie-by-movie and the closest they've ever gotten to a "grand plan" was the prequels.

Not to mention Ewoks being tossed into the third film to sell toys to kids, ship and vehicles designed with an eye to selling toys, etc. The OT isn't the high-principle auteur's vision some fans pretend it is. The special effects were groundbreaking, the story has always been janky.
    That's pretty irrelevent really. It's still a complete fumble when it came to planning the current trilogy. Sure, Lucas ad-libbed his way through the Original trilogy, him and the people around him didn't realise how successful their story would be. Disney knew exactly what they were taking-on and really should have planned things better.

Also, the Prequels were 50% of the SW films made prior to the current trilogy. Seems a little disingenuous to dismiss them so completely for having a planned-out arc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, those two comments together are pretty amusing.
    No One's Ever Really Gone

10+ Year Old Account

This last bit isn't exactly accurate. George originally planned on using Kashyyyk and Wookies for the setting of the last act- but couldn't get together anywhere remotely close to adequate numbers of extras matching Peter Mayhews' height. It was FAR easier at the time to round up "little people" and children. It was changed for practicality of shooting and casting.

The Porgs though? Complete merch' fodder.

The Porgs were inoffensive and had nothing to do with the plot of TLJ. The Ewoks literally helped take down an Imperial Battalion.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A few thoughts on the leaks. Yes, things turn out to be different on paper than in execution, but I have zero faith it will actually be better in execution.

[list]Why is Leia a core figure? Fisher is dead. Don't try to shoehorn her character in.[/list]
    That was always the plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Porgs were inoffensive and had nothing to do with the plot of TLJ. The Ewoks literally helped take down an Imperial Battalion.
    I also can't take the "they couldn't find tall people" argument seriously.

They could create Jabba the Hutt and the Cantina band with practical effects, but they couldn't put wookie actors in platform shoes under the hair as part of the costume?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Wouldn't have Salacious B. Crumb blow up with the skiff?

Also, the Prequels were 50% of the SW films made prior to the current trilogy. Seems a little disingenuous to dismiss them so completely for having a planned-out arc.
    I mean...considering how nearly universally panned the prequels were by Star Wars fans (who only now look back on them fondly because it gives them an excuse to shit on the dreaded Disney), I don't see why they can't be dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also can't take the "they couldn't find tall people" argument seriously.

They could create Jabba the Hutt and the Cantina band with practical effects, but they couldn't put wookie actors in platform shoes under the hair as part of the costume?
    I mean- that's the reason they gave in the old "Empire of Dreams" documentary, I can't imagine running, jumping and climbing about the Californian Redwood forest being easy- let alone in a stilted fur suit. The cantina band looked pretty corny pre-CGI special edition, and Jabba took what, four or five master puppeteers?

Everyone hated the Ewoks. EVERYONE. They didn't sell shit for merch because of them, more so in spite of them.

The Porgs are at least "cutesy".

Is it me or is there now an industry of money making grubs that make content about complaining about Star Wars while complaining that Star Wars sold out?

Lets look at their formula. They loved SW. They now make money off hating on SW. (sounds like selling out)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Is it me or is there now an industry of money making grubs that make content about complaining about Star Wars while complaining that Star Wars sold out?

Lets look at their formula. They loved SW. They now make money off hating on SW. (sounds like selling out)
    Yes there is. Thank the Youtube algorithms.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post

Thor Skywalker, That Star Wars Girl, and Geek & Gamers don't "hate" Star Wars. They wanted the new films to be good, and have levied many, many ideas on how to salvage the new trilogy.