Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is horseshit. You're just wrong, and too stubborn to admit it.

Inductive reasoning is an integral part of logic. You not understanding it doesn't change that.

And you dismissing statistical theory while demanding we believe your prophetic forecasting based on a big pile of nothing is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally not what anyone is doing.

This is what I meant about you not understanding what inductive reasoning is.
    Nope, induction is purely a misconception. Valid theories never come from generalizing data-points. But I guess it'll take a few more decades of people saying "we just need more data/resources to make accurate predictions" and then being bewildered when they constantly fail.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Especially since the report the article references only tangentially references something like what the title of the article suggests. The report warns that in an absolute worst case scenario (IE: rapid/large temperature increases, huge sea level increase, massive migration away from coasts/into the US from other countries, drastic changes in weather patterns, etc., etc., all in the immediate near future) could potentially cause the collapse of the US power grid due to massive shifts in loads on the grid to different areas at different times. And they explain this vulnerability is primarily because the US power grid is old as fuck (with transformers being on average 40+ years old, transmission lines being on average 25+ years old, etc.). And they explain how this vulnerability exists for tons of different scenarios, from an EMP attack, to a cyber attack, etc., and all of them could result in a complete collapse of the power grid.

And then one sentence among the umpteen pages describing this vulnerability says something along the lines of "the Department of Defense is 99% reliant on the US power grid for energy generation because we got rid of our autonomous energy generation capabilities for budgetary/cost-saving reasons over the last two decades"... Which is where the fear-mongering headline came from.

And all of that lead to their 'recommendations' section, where they basically said "we need to improve the grid, but also give us more money to generate our own power again"...
    Well said. The best explanation on this topic I have read in here yet.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Science discovered solar panels, nuclear power, etc... what are you talking about?
    Science discovered nuclear energy, the military learned how to use it, that does for power applications as well.

Science discovered that solar energy can be converted, they military slapped panels onto satellites.

Science discovered relativity, the military developed the GPS.

Science discovered germs, the military pioneered field medicine, first aid, emergency/triage techniques.

Interstates? Military.

War and defense breed innovation. No one said its the only factor, buts a strong one.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    This cant be real.
    That. Shits.. Nuts
    Its not, the report says that water is currently 30%-40% of the force sustainment requirement (in terms of distribution/storage load; IE: among food, supplies, ammo, etc., water is 30%-40% of the load) for troops operating particularly in contested arid locations (aka: the Middle East)... In the context of that figure, they recommend the military invest in various water sustainment initiatives, from systems to better harvest water locally, to systems to generate water from humid air, to systems to better purify/reuse the water they have on hand, etc... Because, as the previous figure suggests, presently they just have to transport/store large amounts of water for sustainment; the figure they give for arid locations is 66+ pounds of water per day per person.

Quote Originally Posted by Funtwidth View Post
    Good, it is a thoroughly evil organization that any one who isn't in its employ despises.
    Well I hope you don't complain whenever the US pulls out of somewhere.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how a planet that is what, 60% water, will run out of said water in 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Well I hope you don't complain whenever the US pulls out of somewhere.
    If Americans stopped pulling out, they wouldn't need immigration to sustain population growth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Not sure how a planet that is what, 60% water, will run out of said water in 20 years.
    Because humans don't generally do too well drinking sea water, which is what most of the world's water is.

Drinkable fresh water is significantly less common.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination

We figured that one out quite a long time ago. You underestimate humans.
    Yeah, go find the extra energy you need to desalinate enough water for everyone now that you can't get it for free.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, i grew up as a kid terrifed with the idea there would be no more drinking water 30 years in the future, that people would be doing wars for that resource and stuff.
    30 years have passed and here we are, with plenty of water avaliable.

Lets remember a huge amount of drinking water is trapped on polar ice, on ice capped mountains (bpth are melting, according to global warming defenders) and beneath the surface (water table). There's also the Desalination technology, which can be improved to become more efficient.

But hey, a warmer planet accelerates the water cycle, which means less water trapped in ice, more evaporation, more rains, and thus, more drinking water avaliable for us. Its ridiculous the idea there would be no water avaliable due to global warming, when its the opposite that happens. A global freezing would reduce the amount of avaliabe water, not a global warming.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2019-10-27 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Lol, i grew up as a kid terrifed with the idea there would be no more drinking water 30 years in the future, that people would be doing wars for that resource and stuff.
    30 years have passed and here we are, with plenty of water avaliable.
    huh?

Two-thirds of the global population (4 billion people) live under conditions of severe water scarcity at least 1 month of the year. Half a billion people in the world face severe water scarcity all year round.

Lets remember a huge amount of drinking water is trapped on polar ice, on ice capped mountains (bpth are melting, according to global warming defenders) and beneath the surface (water table)..
    /double facepalm

Good luck drinking that water let us know how that works out for you.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2019-10-27 at 11:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half a billion people are able to live their life with severe water scarcity all year around, what are we even talking about here? Human adaption techniques are amazing! Climate change? Bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Half a billion people are able to live their life with severe water scarcity all year around, what are we even talking about here? Human adaption techniques are amazing! Climate change? Bring it on
    Except the millions of people dying each year part, nature kicks our ass year round are you high?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because humans don't generally do too well drinking sea water, which is what most of the world's water is.

Drinkable fresh water is significantly less common.
    It's a good thing you can still make beer with salt water. The Germans did it for a long time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

More money = more yelling.

The ones yelling louder do not make a majority.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    U.S. Military Could Collapse Within 20 Years Due to Climate Change, Report Commissioned By Pentagon Says

Even the US military sees climate change as a substantial threat. I'm curious, if our energy needs can be met by reducing or completely removing fossil fuels, why are people so adamantly against it? I understand that some people, who's livelyhoods are are a result of the fossil fuel industry, would be against losing their jobs .. but if they were retrained and given jobs in renewable energy, then even that argument falls apart.

I did not see a climate change megathread - if there is one, feel free to move this post there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    U.S. Military Could Collapse Within 20 Years Due to Climate Change, Report Commissioned By Pentagon Says

Even the US military sees climate change as a substantial threat. I'm curious, if our energy needs can be met by reducing or completely removing fossil fuels, why are people so adamantly against it? I understand that some people, who's livelyhoods are are a result of the fossil fuel industry, would be against losing their jobs .. but if they were retrained and given jobs in renewable energy, then even that argument falls apart.

I did not see a climate change megathread - if there is one, feel free to move this post there.
    Good, maybe then they can use some money on better healthcare, reworking their structure of the country and education.

Though, sad with the circumstances.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is more a problem of bad population distribution and lack of infrastructure in poorer countries. This is not related to "global warming" in any way. People need to learn to difference between local and global.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2019-10-27 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like we need to increase the budget for the military.

The US military would be one of the last institutions to collapse if things went bad - if they went down it would mean the rest of the world is pretty much in collapsed ruins already.

China has far more to fear from global warming given that their main foodbowl and home to a third of their population, including Beijing and Shanghai, will be rendered uninhabitable by extreme heat and humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    This is more a problem of bad population distribution and lack of infrastructure in poorer countries. This is not related to "global warming" in any way. People need to learn to difference between local and global.
    The essence of global water scarcity is the geographic and temporal mismatch between freshwater demand and availability.[8][9] The increasing world population, improving living standards, changing consumption patterns, and expansion of irrigated agriculture are the main driving forces for the rising global demand for water.[10][11] Climate change, such as altered weather-patterns (including droughts or floods), deforestation, increased pollution, green house gases, and wasteful use of water can cause insufficient supply.[12] At the global level and on an annual basis, enough freshwater is available to meet such demand, but spatial and temporal variations of water demand and availability are large, leading to (physical) water scarcity in several parts of the world during specific times of the year.[3] All causes of water scarcity are related to human interference with the water cycle.

Why only US army, this climate change will effect every country in the world which is dangerous we have to think about it beforehand