Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Vanilla had the best gear system, /thread
    won't ever go back to Vanilla because Blizz want people to log in every day. you don't need to do that in Classic. you literally raid once a week, maybe log on for an hour or two farming mats if you need them and thats it

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I don't really understand the question but titanforging was never needed. How titanforging has to do anything with reforging?
    Reforging gave you a customization and optimization option. I liked that. What's exciting about getting a piece of gear that is absoluteley trash because it has the wrong secondaries? What's exciting about a piece of gear you have to sim before you even know it's an upgrade or not?

This whole "...but, but.. you have go to the city first to reforge" bs sounds exactly like the Blizzard propaganda they used to sell the removal of reforging.

I loved reforging. I actually farmed two sets of PVP gear for my warlock one reforged to haste and one reforged to mastery. So one for draining and one for harder dot ticks. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Sorry, but Min/maxer would to anything anyway, so why remove reforging for people who want to customize their gear? It's idiotic. At least so you can reforge the gear how you want; and i personally never used it, reforged it in other ways to fit my playstyle better, and was better in the game, because i played the game how i want it.
    I think that's an important point. This is exactly what Blizzard tries to eradicate from the game.

I feel like their style has gone from sandbox to an overbearing and invasive developement style where they think they need to impose on the player how exactly they have to play the game and how to have "fun".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You people should articulate better what you want. You should say, I want reforging because I think it is cool that you can have options to change stats on your gear even if it means getting worse output.
    Not everything is a matter of worse/better. It's a matter of playstyle, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusblood View Post
    I agree 100%. Reforging was implemented in Cata to either get people hit/exp capped or if you had too much hit/exp you could reforge out of it.

I can't tell you how many times during MoP we would kill a boss only to have 4 people go back to the Shrine, reforge, gem, and enchant a piece of gear before they could return to raid.
    Than your guild was wierd. I played in second best guild on realm and we always cleared raid than peoople went to customize gear.

- - - Updated - - -

It was not customizing your gear. You get new piece, you go to NPC and just press that button on addon and that was it. It reforged the gear how you wanted.

You people should articulate better what you want. You should say, I want reforging because I think it is cool that you can have options to change stats on your gear even if it means getting worse output.
    You mean addon you assume everybody used? I have news for you majority of players never used that addon.

It was not customizing your gear. You get new piece, you go to NPC and just press that button on addon and that was it. It reforged the gear how you wanted.
    Only if you used the addon. OR you could think yourself and decide yourself what stat you want to reforge. I never used it, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    You mean addon you assume everybody used? I have news for you majority of players never used that addon.
    Exactly. As said before: most people never used the addon, and min/maxer would do things like this anyway, so why remove it from people who want to customize their gear the way they want? I customized it in Cata and MoP completely different than any guide said, and had a much better time to play the game the way i want; and i was totally competitive with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    For the same reason they got rid of DoT snapshotting and pruned a bunch of shit in WoD: They felt it made the game "too complex."
    snapshotting made the game a nightmare to balance

I agree 100%. Reforging was implemented in Cata to either get people hit/exp capped or if you had too much hit/exp you could reforge out of it.

I can't tell you how many times during MoP we would kill a boss only to have 4 people go back to the Shrine, reforge, gem, and enchant a piece of gear before they could return to raid.
    So... these kills were not so good at the end... if you needed 4 people to go and swap their gear enchs(by that I meam every single posib enchs. Not just ench profession)

Quote Originally Posted by rips View Post
    snapshotting made the game a nightmare to balance
    While removing of reforging was stupid, this is totally understandable. DoT Snapshotting was really a PITA; it wasn't even a matter of skil, since you could actually do it with an addon; but it was really a nightmare to balance. Still:

When was exactly the time when WoW was balanced? Never heared of it anyway.

No. TBC was it right. Casuals could still get low quality purples but if you wanted BiS, you had to do all raids. That's how it should be.

It's stupid that they create an entire raid just to essentially turn it in to a collectables playground 6 months later.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed in WoW by simply adding this features to an engineering-item where you could change it inside the raid. The issue was the running back, not the customization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    No. TBC was it right. Casuals could still get low quality purples but if you wanted BiS, you had to do all raids. That's how it should be.

It's stupid that they create an entire raid just to essentially turn it in to a collectables playground 6 months later.
    And exactly for this we have now WoW Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Than your guild was wierd. I played in second best guild on realm and we always cleared raid than peoople went to customize gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. People either waited until bio break or after raid to go reforge their gear. It was rude to do otherwise. That being said, I really miss the BC system. It was kind of fun lining up gems to either get the socket bonus or to ignore the socket bonus on gear entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    For the same reason they got rid of DoT snapshotting and pruned a bunch of shit in WoD: They felt it made the game "too complex."
    Ya, i still feel insulted by that one.. Blizzard really dont have high thoughts about their playerbase.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Reforging was great imo - I really miss it!
    If you were unlucky with loot, you could easily reforge into more crit/block/parry.

Also Block/Parry Protection warrior (with vengeance) is the most fun I've ever had tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I honestly didn't play MoP BUT I MISS BADGES from previous expansions.
    i want them to put badges back in the game with the same kind of pieces on the vendors as they used to have just so i can see people post about being "forced" to do content to get badges and that the gear isnt as good as what drops in raids so they are "forced" to raid.

kinda like how people are complaining they will have to mythic raid to get the best gear in 8.3

cause arguing about shit is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    won't ever go back to Vanilla because Blizz want people to log in every day. you don't need to do that in Classic. you literally raid once a week, maybe log on for an hour or two farming mats if you need them and thats it
    That's all I do now. Log in for raid 2 nights a week, log in a 3rd to do extra stuffs I enjoy. I was logged in almost daily from launch through Firelands in Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it was the best, but it was better than anything they came up with after it.

I think reforging would of worked great in WoD+. The main issue, i.e. complexity, was directly related to capped stats. Every time you would receive an item with a differing amount of hit/spirit/expertise, you would need to do the math on how to get back to the cap in the most efficient way. Or use an outside tool, same idea. With those stats gone, reforging makes most higher ilvl pieces gear an upgrade, or at least reduces the pool of "trash" items. Sure, it will not be as good as getting the BiS item, but you will get an upgrade in most cases. Think of all the rings you threw away, just because it had only one good stat, and you already have a ring with two good ones, even if it's 15 ilvls lower.

And it's not like people are not going back to the city to respec all the time. And they could add a reforging bot to engineers, instead of adding yet another repair bot that is somehow different from the ones we already have.

TBC had the best gearing system. It was all relevant back then. Raid-gear was good, even gear from Zul Aman for smaller guilds was good, you could catch-up with gear from ZA for new members or alts for later raid progression, badge-system was just a straight forward system, do heroics, Karazhan and then buy gear that was good, but not better than current raid(with few exceptions, which is fine really). As someone who played boomkin the last half of TBC as alt/main from 3.0 buying leather-gear with intellect was cool.

Crafted gear was relevant the whole expansion. That way, those who didn't get to raid at higher levels could get really good gear, not to mention some items were bis so it was relevant for top guilds as well. Heroic dungeons was a nice place to start, cause gearing up back then had a meaningful progression.

I guess, all in all, gear having a meaningful path of progression is the best. Having to do dungeons to upgrade gear you already have makes it all less meaningful, MoP and WoD. And reforging was made as a tool for having options. What it really did was to make people go for their desired stat even more, not to mention getting gear was trivialized since close to any drop you got could be an upgrade. So in the end, reforging ended up being what it shouldn't be, it took away any kind of rng in the game, which makes it both predictable and boring. Gear should only be predictable in the way that you know you can get the one item from that boss, and hope for it to drop. When you lose that sense of rng and way more items that drop can be an upgrade because of reforging, it becomes boring pretty quick.

7+ Year Old Account
    i always like the reforge system, if i need more mastery i could take away from crit by example, if my item didn't had mastery at all, and it was better i could still get some by other stat, it gave me some RPG feeling, but then again, i didn't play much serious back then.