Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the stupid question but is the game created by the same Obsidian studio who made Pillars of Eternity? if yes I will make sure I will give it a try! (even though I am not a fan of first person camera games at all).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question but is the game created by the same Obsidian studio who made Pillars of Eternity? if yes I will make sure I will give it a try! (even though I am not a fan of first person camera games at all).
    Yes. And Tyranny. NWN2, New Vegas, KotOR2, Stick of Truth, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    even though I am not a fan of first person camera games at all.
    I'll give this much credit to First Person. It definitely makes scaling of things look better. I'm not huge on it for melee combat, but with guns it feels good.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    Ammo is still a total joke on supernova, most enemies die in a few shots with the plasma rifle from stealth. I have 100 adreno heals despite taking the drug addiction flaw. Supernova could've been a more interesting hardest difficulty imo.
    I'm beggining to think that's just unavoidable in games like this if it doesn't aggressively restrain ammo. You do a little looting or stealing and you never run out of ammo after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that does bug me about the game, is that it feels lifeless in cities. Just a severe lack of people, and ones that are there barely move.

Minor nit pick, but effects my immersion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    One thing that does bug me about the game, is that it feels lifeless in cities. Just a severe lack of people, and ones that are there barely move.

Minor nit pick, but effects my immersion.
    Was just talking about that with my co-worker. This is one thing that was done better in Fallout. Making the people feel more alive. Having people nailed to the floor 24 hours a day is a little odd. Some people might pace a little, but I would like some day night cycle in the denizens lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Was just talking about that with my co-worker. This is one thing that was done better in Fallout. Making the people feel more alive. Having people nailed to the floor 24 hours a day is a little odd. Some people might pace a little, but I would like some day night cycle in the denizens lives.
    Bears remembering that it's a lot of extra work to implement stuff like that, and since nothing in the game revolves around it, it's purely aesthetic. As compared to, say, Assassin's Creed, where crowd movement is part of the core mechanics.

And Obsidian isn't a big developer with unlimited resources. Outer Worlds as it stands now is already a big swing for Obsidian. I'm super hopeful they get rewarded with high sales, so they can invest more in DLC and/or sequels, but I'm not going to crap on them for polishing their strengths and not making a half-assed attempt to "fix" their weak points, which inevitably makes them worse.

As a side note, the title and setting allows for huge variance in sequels; we're seeing what's going on in THIS system. There are almost certainly others. Which could all be unique in their own ridiculous way. Future sequels don't have to include any of these planets or characters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just got done with the first planet and the game is not very good. The story is not well told at all. They just throw you into this new world with out setting anything up so i don't care about anything that's happening. The company is so cartoonishly evil it's impossible to take seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Bears remembering that it's a lot of extra work to implement stuff like that, and since nothing in the game revolves around it, it's purely aesthetic. As compared to, say, Assassin's Creed, where crowd movement is part of the core mechanics.

And Obsidian isn't a big developer with unlimited resources. Outer Worlds as it stands now is already a big swing for Obsidian. I'm super hopeful they get rewarded with high sales, so they can invest more in DLC and/or sequels, but I'm not going to crap on them for polishing their strengths and not making a half-assed attempt to "fix" their weak points, which inevitably makes them worse.

As a side note, the title and setting allows for huge variance in sequels; we're seeing what's going on in THIS system. There are almost certainly others. Which could all be unique in their own ridiculous way. Future sequels don't have to include any of these planets or characters.
    No doubt. I think the game is very well done. But there is room for small improvements in the next one. There is very little I have to nitpick about in this title. Such as, what ld like to see improved on in the next would be to give the people a little more of a sense of despair. Currently, when I interact with people who seem to not like the way things are, they have complaints, but seem for the most part content. Maybe showing a bit more poverty, starvation, and sickness. Something to draw me into feeling bad for the people who are supposed to be suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

It's still kind of weird to see people that never go to sleep when they should have beds to return to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Just got done with the first planet and the game is not very good. The story is not well told at all. They just throw you into this new world with out setting anything up so i don't care about anything that's happening. The company is so cartoonishly evil it's impossible to take seriously.
    Keep moving forward. The story unfolds more from where you are. The first world is more or less the tutorial.

7+ Year Old Account
    Keep moving forward. The story unfolds more from where you are. The first world is more or less the tutorial.
    I'll keep going but i really hate when games throw you into it to fast. So many "story" games do that and it's really the worst thing they can do because it means i just don't care about the world.

Well, let's be fair. The story is decent, but we've all played enough games to know what the inevitable twist will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll keep going but i really hate when games throw you into it to fast. So many "story" games do that and it's really the worst thing they can do because it means i just don't care about the world.
    I agree with you. It goes with what I replied to Endus about. I think the citizens could show a little more suffering or express some more despair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Well, let's be fair. The story is decent, but we've all played enough games to know what the inevitable twist will be.
    To be fair, I'm level 24, and I have no idea where this story is heading lol. But I actually only just got to Byzantium. I think I did things in an odd order lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    No i think it's pretty natural. If i make the choice not to buy at the EGS and a developer goes there exclusively i think it's pretty normal for me to get angry at them (and no, not angry in a "i want to kill you all" sense, more in a "too bad, i would have bought that game otherwise" sense). I don't want an developer-centric store to get more popular because it disadvantages me as a customer. I think it's pretty natural to want the best for yourself, it's the same reason the devs take the EGS deals. For the same reason the devs are probably angry at the customers that didn't buy their game because of their choices.
    And i don't think the attachment to Steam is irrational, for me as a customer a strong Steam is better than a strong EGS.

Although it doesn't quite apply here because they also also sell on the windows store.

But yeah, off topic and so on.
    Valve isn't a developer??

I agree with you. It goes with what I replied to Endus about. I think the citizens could show a little more suffering or express some more despair.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, I'm level 24, and I have no idea where this story is heading lol. But I actually only just got to Byzantium. I think I did things in an odd order lol.
    You're working for a seemingly altruistic scientist with a bounty on his head. There's no way something isn't up there.

Interesting point. My approach towards tutorials and, well, the beginnings of the game is that you should be handled the reins as soon as possible. For that TOW seems great, you are given control over your character very soon, the movement tutorial is super fast and you're in the game knowing all you should know. For comparison, I was unable to play Monster Hunter World because after 3 hours I STILL felt like I'm reading a manual.

With that in mind, it's weird how much of a Tabula Rasa you are in this game. The scenario is similar to Fallout 4, you are "frozen in time" as a part of an experiment and wake up only to see a completly messed up world. However F4 did it way better with your character acting, well, accordingly suprised. In Outer Worlds my guy seems to be completly chill with the situation, no matter what dialogue I choose. Feels very robotic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Interesting point. My approach towards tutorials and, well, the beginnings of the game is that you should be handled the reins as soon as possible. For that TOW seems great, you are given control over your character very soon, the movement tutorial is super fast and you're in the game knowing all you should know. For comparison, I was unable to play Monster Hunter World because after 3 hours I STILL felt like I'm reading a manual.

With that in mind, it's weird how much of a Tabula Rasa you are in this game. The scenario is similar to Fallout 4, you are "frozen in time" as a part of an experiment and wake up only to see a completly messed up world. However F4 did it way better with your character acting, well, accordingly suprised. In Outer Worlds my guy seems to be completly chill with the situation, no matter what dialogue I choose. Feels very robotic.
    I don't mind a fast game play tutorial but for a story based game it needs to take things slow in setting up the world. In fallout 4 i always found is dumb that Nora a lawyer turned housewife didn't bat an eye at killing random people in the first town she got to.

A game that did this really well was Dragon Age Origins. No matter what story you start with you spend a good half hour just getting to know the world and the people you should care about before things go bad. In TOW i just don't care about the world because it didn't take any time to make me care.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing for about 3 or 4 hours so far.
    I like it but I get this feeling that there's something... not satisfying with it.
    Maybe it's the aesthetic or something

Can't really pinpoint why
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it's "show, don't tell" writing, which is generally considered way better than giving people a metric ton of scrawl to read through before starting up.

Your character's been tossed into this without any context either. That you're not sure what's going on or who the "good guys" are is the point of the story, frankly. That you get shown one side, and then another, and then have to make up your mind.

You not caring about the world is a choice you make. You don't know anything about any setting, until you start to explore it and learn the story; that's what stories are.

But they don't think they are suffering, for the most part. Or the suffering they experience isn't the fault of <insert obvious cause of suffering>, because that's what they've been told all along. It's not subtle, but the game's largely satire, and satire can't be subtle or it gets taken as serious advocacy.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind a fast game play tutorial but for a story based game it needs to take things slow in setting up the world. In fallout 4 i always found is dumb that Nora a lawyer turned housewife didn't bat an eye at killing random people in the first town she got to.

A game that did this really well was Dragon Age Origins. No matter what story you start with you spend a good half hour just getting to know the world and the people you should care about before things go bad. In TOW i just don't care about the world because it didn't take any time to make me care.
    If you spent a half hour getting to know the setting in The Outer Worlds, you'd get much the same as you'd get from spending a half hour in DA:O. You might later find out your presumptions were wrong, but that's standard twist stuff. Like, the whole first area is about getting you to know and care about the people in Edgewater, and by extension, the rest of the system. I thought they did a great job of setting everyone up, and making the "villain" not moustache-twirlingly horrible, and the "good guy" pretty shockingly off in ways I didn't expect. I ended up resolving it in a way I didn't expect at first glance, and I wasn't as happy as I thought I'd be, because there's shades of gray and it's not clear I picked the "best" choice. Especially given shit that I've learned now in Byzantium.