Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    They also operate in a number of countries that torture and/or kill gay people outright so that also adds doubt to how committed they are to being firmly against discrimination.
    They are so commited that comic with Tracer's girlfriend was blocked in Russia by Blizzard itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    They also operate in a number of countries that torture and/or kill gay people outright so that also adds doubt to how committed they are to being firmly against discrimination.
    Hah, I guess you're unaware what the differences are between the regions then

https://kotaku.com/south-korean-over...mit-1835379449

If you tuned into the Overwatch League’s Friday games, you probably saw dozens of esports fans decked out in rainbow garb or flashing LGBTQ-themed signs as soon as the camera turned their way. It was Pride Day for the Overwatch League—a day that Overwatch publisher Blizzard put on for fans to “come together for diversity and inclusion,” they said in their announcement.

But Korean fans who tuned in saw something a little different: a business-as-usual Overwatch League broadcast with no pomp or circumstance.

According to two Overwatch League insiders with knowledge of the broadcast, leading up to last year’s Pride event, American and Korean Overwatch League broadcast professionals discussed how the celebration would come off to audiences in Asia. For “cultural reasons,” said a source, Blizzard’s Korean team and regional broadcast partners made the decision to minimally broadcast expressions of Pride Day at Blizzard Arena last year. It’s possible these reasons are related to South Korea’s conservatism on LGBTQ rights. According to a 2017 Gallup poll, nearly 60 percent of the country is against same-sex marriage, which is not legal there. (In the U.S., only about 33 percent of people disapprove.)

This year’s Korean and American broadcasts were different as well, with the American one celebrating Pride and the Korean one strangely, well, not. Fans’ signs weren’t prominent, and according to two people who know Korean, there was little or no mention of Pride Day on the Korean broadcast. Korea’s Pride Day broadcast did not appear significantly different from normal, but the hype and expressive Pride Day celebrations in Blizzard Arena do seem to be played down, something two sources say was, at least last year, intentional. Blizzard did not respond to Kotaku’s request for comment.

That conduct is for western crowds, not us.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-10-29 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yep, we're very sorry that your country is still backward and incapable of progressing. I guess change
    is scary, and the South Korean people proudly display the west's ability to do what they cannot.

That aside, I'm glad they're finally pushing for some strong pve content. They've got such a rich world
    and characters, and it's such a waste that it took them 3 long years to finally provide something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Yep, we're very sorry that your country is still backward and incapable of progressing. I guess change
    is scary, and the South Korean people proudly display the west's ability to do what they cannot.

That aside, I'm glad they're finally pushing for some strong pve content. They've got such a rich world
    and characters, and it's such a waste that it took them 3 long years to finally provide something.
    Nice country/culture bashing u got there bro.

Anyway I'm hyped to see how the PvE content will be, been waiting for some permanent PVE content since the first PvE event in Overwatch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Nice country/culture bashing u got there bro.
    You must've missed the whole "that conduct is for western cowards not us" line the
    above poster had said. It's cool bro, not all of us can read bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    You must've missed the whole "that conduct is for western cowards not us" line the
    above poster had said. It's cool bro, not all of us can read bro.
    it says western crowds, not cowards. nice reading too.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Hah, I guess you're unaware what the differences are between the regions then

https://kotaku.com/south-korean-over...mit-1835379449

If you tuned into the Overwatch League’s Friday games, you probably saw dozens of esports fans decked out in rainbow garb or flashing LGBTQ-themed signs as soon as the camera turned their way. It was Pride Day for the Overwatch League—a day that Overwatch publisher Blizzard put on for fans to “come together for diversity and inclusion,” they said in their announcement.

But Korean fans who tuned in saw something a little different: a business-as-usual Overwatch League broadcast with no pomp or circumstance.

According to two Overwatch League insiders with knowledge of the broadcast, leading up to last year’s Pride event, American and Korean Overwatch League broadcast professionals discussed how the celebration would come off to audiences in Asia. For “cultural reasons,” said a source, Blizzard’s Korean team and regional broadcast partners made the decision to minimally broadcast expressions of Pride Day at Blizzard Arena last year. It’s possible these reasons are related to South Korea’s conservatism on LGBTQ rights. According to a 2017 Gallup poll, nearly 60 percent of the country is against same-sex marriage, which is not legal there. (In the U.S., only about 33 percent of people disapprove.)

This year’s Korean and American broadcasts were different as well, with the American one celebrating Pride and the Korean one strangely, well, not. Fans’ signs weren’t prominent, and according to two people who know Korean, there was little or no mention of Pride Day on the Korean broadcast. Korea’s Pride Day broadcast did not appear significantly different from normal, but the hype and expressive Pride Day celebrations in Blizzard Arena do seem to be played down, something two sources say was, at least last year, intentional. Blizzard did not respond to Kotaku’s request for comment.

Two of my ten Korean friends are gay, one of whom has been my friend since the second grade.

Your post made me laugh, it is as if you backwards people think by stuffing your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala" you will have less gay or bi people per capita.

You, a people who let your culture be subverted by Christianity have the audacity to claim defense of culture. Bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Until Overwatch starts moving forward with its plot, I sleep. None of this “it was never intended as a story game” excuse garbage.

It’s been three fucking years.
    ^

It's been five years since Overwatch was first announced. They've opened up several dozen storylines and have progressed none of them. In fact, I don't think any plot thread has actually been resolved. Worse, is that the archives events aren't even focusing on current storylines; they're just filling out backstory. If the new campaign is just more backstory rather than actually tackling the present plot, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Imagine getting this offended about the sexuality of an imaginary videogame character.
    I've no problem with LGBT characters. What I do have a problem with is insincerity, which Blizzard Entertainment reeks of. Don't establish a character, and then three to four years later turn around and say "this character was ackshuly homo/bi-sexual all along!". Well well well, what do we have here folks? Looks like someone is trying to cash in social justice points by spinning a a character that everyone already likes as being a symbol of some sorts. If you really wanted for that character to represent what you are ostensibly spinning them as, you should've presented them as that way from the get go. Hm... reminds me of a certain author who wrote a character in a very consistent manner for an entire seven book saga, and then years after the fact turned around and said "oh, this character was ackshuly a homosexual all along!" and there wasn't even an inkling of that in the book series. How courageous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    > Be dev studio
    > Game release May 2016
    > $40 with 12 champs
    > Give away 19 more champs for free and maps
    > Announce new game for release in 2020 with all new gameplay and more
    > Watch as tards cry saying blizz charging "again" for Overwatch.
    ^

I'll gladly lay down $60 to check out the campaign.

So I guess we're getting animated sprays in Overwatch 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I've no problem with LGBT characters. What I do have a problem with is insincerity, which Blizzard Entertainment reeks of.
    Exactly.

Gay characters? Fine.
    Forced gay characters for the sake of pandering to SJWs and virtue signaling? Not fine.

LGBT is fine, but tokenism for the sake of appeasing the "muh representation" crowd can fuck off.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-10-29 at 09:13 PM.

Everyone, I think you are all misinterpreting the logo. It’s not Overwatch 2, it’s Overwatch Squared. That’s twice the heroes, twice the maps, twice the confusion on how SR and MMR works.

I've no problem with LGBT characters. What I do have a problem with is insincerity, which Blizzard Entertainment reeks of. Don't establish a character, and then three to four years later turn around and say "this character was ackshuly homo/bi-sexual all along!".
    In the same post you mention lack of character development. Isn't it possible that they planned to have stuff that fleshes out the heroes, but plans changed? E.g. something as simply capitalistic as Overwatch being too successful for its own good, so that development was shifted from solo/story content to more multiplayer features (while writers aren't developers, their ideas have to be implemented nevertheless)
    Thus, a pretty late (but still organic) reveal that Tracer is lesbian.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2019-10-29 at 09:59 PM.

Just saw a pic on reddit with long beard reinhardt and short hair mercy with that new character sojourn

I've no problem with LGBT characters. What I do have a problem with is insincerity, which Blizzard Entertainment reeks of. Don't establish a character, and then three to four years later turn around and say "this character was ackshuly homo/bi-sexual all along!". Well well well, what do we have here folks? Looks like someone is trying to cash in social justice points by spinning a a character that everyone already likes as being a symbol of some sorts. If you really wanted for that character to represent what you are ostensibly spinning them as, you should've presented them as that way from the get go. Hm... reminds me of a certain author who wrote a character in a very consistent manner for an entire seven book saga, and then years after the fact turned around and said "oh, this character was ackshuly a homosexual all along!" and there wasn't even an inkling of that in the book series. How courageous.
    If it had been established from the get go then Tracer and Soldier would have been defined by their sexuality, and I don't think that would've been good. This way they were seen for who they are just like the rest of the cast, and only hearing about such things later in an off-hand manner was a better way to go about it imo; anyone can be LGBT, and it's not a big deal.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be a MMO. The talents I saw associated with Tracer really get me excited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    it says western crowds, not cowards. nice reading too.
    Semantics. You still glossed over it, so you're reading comprehension isn't better.

I wouldn't doubt if the CoD release style OW games in the future.

im worried the pve aspect will be finished in one day, it has to be a big pve game...

Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    If it had been established from the get go then Tracer and Soldier would have been defined by their sexuality, and I don't think that would've been good. This way they were seen for who they are just like the rest of the cast, and only hearing about such things later in an off-hand manner was a better way to go about it imo; anyone can be LGBT, and it's not a big deal.
    You can have a gay character without their gayness being their main character trait.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    im worried the pve aspect will be finished in one day, it has to be a big pve game...
    Left4Dead was "PvE" and never really got old or stale.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You can have a gay character without their gayness being their main character trait.
    Certainly, but let's be honest, seeing the audience that's how it would've been. This way, it wasn't.