Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

U.S. House Recognizes the #ArmenianGenocide

The U.S. House just recognized the #ArmenianGenocide. This is surreal. The fight for genocide recognition is over 100 years old.

US House overwhelmingly votes to recognize Armenian genocide
    Resolution comes at delicate time in US-Turkey relationship, shortly after House votes to impose sanctions

Could also be a rebuke to Erdogan.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Ilhan Omar apparently doesn't

Not sure how that qualifies as “overwhelming”, it won 235-192. I’m sure a few of those people had legitimate reasons for missing a vote, you know, like Cummings being dead, but most of them are complete pieces of shit. This has been one of the easiest and most obvious things in the world to do, and it still took Trump being a clown shoe to get enough of them to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    Not sure how that qualifies as “overwhelming”, it won 235-192. I’m sure a few of those people had legitimate reasons for missing a vote, you know, like Cummings being dead, but most of them are complete pieces of shit. This has been one of the easiest and most obvious things in the world to do, and it still took Trump being a clown shoe to get enough of them to do the right thing.
    That picture isn't the final vote.

The final vote was 405-11

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    It's interesting you call out Omar for voting "present", which is essentially abstaining, while staying silent about the 11 Republicans that actually voted against recognition of the Armenian Genocide. I've noticed that Fox news has also picked up on that same strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's interesting you call out Omar for voting "present", which is essentially abstaining, while staying silent about the 11 Republicans that actually voted against recognition of the Armenian Genocide. I've noticed that Fox news has also picked up on that same strategy.
    She deserves to be called out. Her official response was essentially genocidal denial.

That picture isn't the final vote.

The final vote was 405-11
    Oh my bad, assumed that was the final vote. I take it all back then lol. The point about Trump is accurate though, people have been trying to get this done forever, and it mostly happened just cause he’s a fuck up. I’ll take it though, no point in complaining about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    She deserves to be called out. Her official response was essentially genocidal denial.
    Her response is not great...I'm just wondering why she, who basically abstained, is getting specifically called out when the 11 Republicans that voted "nay" aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    "Some people did something in the Ottoman Empire..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    Oh my bad, assumed that was the final vote. I take it all back then lol. The point about Trump is accurate though, people have been trying to get this done forever, and it mostly happened just cause he’s a fuck up. I’ll take it though, no point in complaining about that.
    I’ve always said that the best thing to possibly come out of a trump presidency is people uniting over their mutual hatred of Donald trump.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Her response is not great...I'm just wondering why she, who basically abstained, is getting specifically called out when the 11 Republicans that voted "nay" aren't.
    Probably because Republicans don't typically champion themselves are supporters of human rights and equality. Where as that is literally her platform. So when we turns around and says something insanely ignorant like "there's no academic consensus on the Armenian genocide" it tends to turn a lot heads.

That's not to say those 11 Republicans don't deserve to get called out as well, but level of disappointment or shock is not going to be the same.

10+ Year Old Account

I think these people like to taunt the democrats about the occasional “slip of moral judgement” while not holding the republicans to the same standard because they’ve silently accepted that the republicans have no morals, period.

It’s tantamount to someone flinging feces at passers by and then shouting “ha-ha, you got poop on you!” while they themselves are standing waist deep in an open sewer.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And the Republicans’ response was open denial. So let’s call out everyone, but let’s not focus on Omar when she’s the least offensive of the bunch(in this case).
    Why use apologetics for her at all. Its inexcusable at every level.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Duh. "My side, therefore good!"
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Nobody is apologizing for her. Just noticing that the people that are calling her out specifically for abstaining stay very silent when it comes to the guys that actually voted nay.

Put it this way:

400+ people in a room voting on what to do tonight

400 of them vote to watch television

1 person doesn't vote

11 people vote to fuck everyone else using switchblades

You focus on the person that didn't vote...because she's shifty....
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-10-30 at 05:44 AM.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind the Nay votes.

Nobody is apologizing for her. Just noticing that the people that are calling her out specifically for abstaining stay very silent when it comes to the guys that actually voted nay.

Put it this way:

400+ people in a room voting on what to do tonight

400 of them vote to watch television

1 person doesn't vote

11 people vote to fuck everyone else using switchblades

You focus on the person that didn't vote...because she's shifty....
    I literally said in my other response to you that they should all be called out. So I have no idea what you are carrying on about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even a little.

Here's the full statement she issued;

"I believe accountability for human rights violations - especially ethnic cleansing and genocide - is paramount. But accountability and recognition of genocide should not be used as a cudgel in a political fight. It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics. A true acknowledgement of historical crimes against humanity must include both the heinous genocides of the 20th century, along with earlier mass slaughters like the transatlantic slave trade and Native American genocide, which took the lives of hundreds of millions of indigenous people in this country. For this reason, I voted 'present' on final passage of H. Res. 296, the resolution Affirming the United States record on the Armenian Genocide."

She;
    1> Acknowledged that human rights violations like this are terrible and must be recognized,
    2> Said that they shouldn't be evaluated politically, but academically, which should be blatantly fucking obvious, and
    3> Argued that if the US Congress is going to play this kind of game, doing so without taking accountability for their own genocidal acts is rank hypocrisy.

No statement therein suggests she's disputing that the Armenian Genocide occurred. In fact, since academics are pretty much in consensus that it did, she's implicitly agreeing that it did, while refusing to kick a political football that served no real purpose and was hypocritical in nature, in her eyes.

Seriously, which of those three elements do you find objectionable?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not even a little.

Here's the full statement she issued;

"I believe accountability for human rights violations - especially ethnic cleansing and genocide - is paramount. But accountability and recognition of genocide should not be used as a cudgel in a political fight. It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics. A true acknowledgement of historical crimes against humanity must include both the heinous genocides of the 20th century, along with earlier mass slaughters like the transatlantic slave trade and Native American genocide, which took the lives of hundreds of millions of indigenous people in this country. For this reason, I voted 'present' on final passage of H. Res. 296, the resolution Affirming the United States record on the Armenian Genocide."

She;
    1> Acknowledged that human rights violations like this are terrible and must be recognized,
    2> Said that they shouldn't be evaluated politically, but academically, which should be blatantly fucking obvious, and
    3> Argued that if the US Congress is going to play this kind of game, doing so without taking accountability for their own genocidal acts is rank hypocrisy.

No statement therein suggests she's disputing that the Armenian Genocide occurred. In fact, since academics are pretty much in consensus that it did, she's implicitly agreeing that it did, while refusing to kick a political football that served no real purpose and was hypocritical in nature, in her eyes.

Seriously, which of those three elements do you find objectionable?
    It would probably be this line "It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics.". What is the purpose of adding this piece if its already an accepted fact in the academic community other than to cast doubt and make it seem that it isn't. Which is a usual tactic of genocide deniers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would probably be this line "It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics.". What is the purpose of adding this piece if its already an accepted fact in the academic community other than to cast doubt and make it seem that it isn't. Which is a usual tactic of genocide deniers.
    I can't conceive of any possible interpretation of that sentence that doesn't mean the exact opposite of what you're imputing.

The purpose is to condemn Congress making this a political stance, when it's something that should be accepted as a historical fact to begin with. It's like passing a bill to recognize the Holocaust. It just provides the deniers a chance to say "nay", and make it seem like there's some actual debate.

Frankly, Omar's abstention seems less about casting doubt than the bill itself. Nobody voting gets any say in whether the Armenian Genocide happened or not. Congress having an official stance on it is . . . stupid. It's like having an official stance on whether Nigeria exists. There shouldn't be a vote, because that suggests it is a matter of opinion, whereas Omar insisted it's a matter of fact and record.

So I actually thought this had already happened, but I must have been remembering this event from 2007.

The U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs approved HR 106, a bill that categorized and condemned the Ottoman Empire for the Genocide, on October 10, 2007, by a 27–21 vote. However, some of the support for the bill from both Democrats and Republicans eroded after the White House warned against the possibility of Turkey restricting airspace as well as ground-route access for U.S. military and humanitarian efforts in Iraq in response to the bill.[217] In response to the House Foreign Affairs Committee's decision on the bill, Turkey ordered their ambassador to the United States to return to Turkey for "consultations".[219] The Turkish lobby worked intensely to block the bill's passage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armeni..._United_States