Poll: Authenticator

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Authenticator: Physical, App or None?

I have a physical authenticator that I have been using for a while now. I know that they stopped selling them a while back.

It still seems to be working fine but what happens when it finally runs outta juice/breaks. Should I take this off and switch to the app? Will they replace the battery/fix it etc?
    I can stand the sight of worms,
    And look at microscopic germs,
    But Technicolor pachyderms,
    Is really too much for me.

Tragic victim of Altitis

I got a mail a couple of months ago where Blizzard told me that support for the physical authenticator stops and I should switch to the app. You can't buy a new one and they won't replace the battery. If the battery dies you have to contact support to remove the authenticator from your account and then either use the app or no authenticator.

If you switch to the app, it can be hacked. So put it on a device that you don't roam all over the net with.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

None is bad due to 2 reasons. First - you can be hacked. Second - you'd have some problems due to additional security things from Blizzard, like blocking your account, when your IP changes, you log in from another computer, etc. All this things don't work, when you use authenticator.

App is pointless, cuz phone can be hacked or Google/Apple can sell your data to 3rd parties. And whole point of authenticator - is that nobody has physical access to it, except you.

You can also use WinAuth, if you don't trust your phone, but it's bad for the same reason. You just can make one big authenticator from some old PC without Internet access.

Mine physical one still works since Cata. Only problem - if I don't use it for a long time, it's button starts to rust. But problem fixes itself with time, when I use it. It can't be repaired, I guess, cuz it requires very precise time sync, that would be lost, when you'd replace battery. You don't need one from Blizzard. They're standard, so you can buy any.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2019-10-30 at 05:36 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have physical.... But it's rarely used.. I think I've been promoted for a code twice in 2019.

But my account details says it's protected by authenticator, so I guess Blizzard knows what they are doing.

I'd HATE to have to switch to app, both because of hacking risk, but also because I don't have my phone anywhere close to where my PC is.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I have physical.... But it's rarely used.. I think I've been promoted for a code twice in 2019.

But my account details says it's protected by authenticator, so I guess Blizzard knows what they are doing.

I'd HATE to have to switch to app, both because of hacking risk, but also because I don't have my phone anywhere close to where my PC is.
    There is "Always ask for code" option there. At some point Blizzard tried to disable it, i.e. it was functioning the same way, as when it was disabled, but I pointed out, that the whole purpose of this option - is increased security via ALWAYS asking for code. ALWAYS is key word here. And they made it work properly again.

Yeah, without this option Blizzard will just ask you for code in case of some suspicious actions with your account instead of just blocking it. But it's still not 100% protection. You still would need to rely on Blizzard security system in this case. And you should rely on yourself only.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still use a physical keyfob as I prefer it to a mobile app but when it eventually dies I'll swap to the phone app because that's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    If the battery dies you have to contact support to remove the authenticator from your account
    Just an FYI, if you have SMS Protect enabled on your account, you can remove your authenticator via text message if it breaks or you lose it. It's significantly less of a pain in the ass and can be done very fast, so I highly recommend everyone enable the option as a backup.

(it also gives you the option to authenticate via sms if you're ever traveling and forget your authenticator)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    None is bad due to 2 reasons. First - you can be hacked. Second - you'd have some problems due to additional security things from Blizzard, like blocking your account, when your IP changes, you log in from another computer, etc. All this things don't work, when you use authenticator.

App is pointless, cuz phone can be hacked or Google/Apple can sell your data to 3rd parties. And whole point of authenticator - is that nobody has physical access to it, except you.

You can also use WinAuth, if you don't trust your phone, but it's bad for the same reason. You just can make one big authenticator from some old PC without Internet access.

Mine physical one still works since Cata. Only problem - if I don't use it for a long time, it's button starts to rust. But problem fixes itself with time, when I use it. It can't be repaired, I guess, cuz it requires very precise time sync, that would be lost, when you'd replace battery. You don't need one from Blizzard. They're standard, so you can buy any.
    how can someone know the phone of x account to hack it? you guys made it sound like a very easy job while its like 0.00001% chance of that happening?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    how can someone know the phone of x account to hack it? you guys made it sound like a very easy job while its like 0.00001% chance of that happening?
    It's the other way around. Randomly hacked phone with authenticator will compromise you and happy hacker will target you after more directly.

Grunt
    3+ Year Old Account

And we better stay in our bunkers due to nuclear war. Ofc the app can be hacked, but its still safer to have the authenticator then not having it, your account is a bit harder to hack with it. Also if you get hacked Blizzard is there to help you recover some things, or all things, you lost. How many ppl have been hacked while using the app? There are so many security layers now that you need serious skills from youtube to know how to do it also its easier to have the app than the physical one, since it is small and can easy be lost. But hey, if you dont want to use it, its all up to you and i respect that. Just wanted to share my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    Phone has more than enough personal data to identify you and make hackers target you more directly, as it has already been said. Yeah, I have separate mail account for Wow, that is never used for anything else, but I still need to log in to it on my computer from time to time. To buy game time for example. And therefore if both my phone and my computer are compromised - then hacking Wow account is easy task. So, phone - is just second line of defense. It makes hacking 2x harder, but still possible. And authenticator is ultimate protection, that requires physical access to it.

Had the physical one when it was first introduced, and was attached to my car keys... but my sister's dog chewed it up when it was young left in the front hallway when the keys were left on the door. Used the App since.

No reason why anyone wouldn't, aside from the security you get 4 extra slots for your main bag! And even if you don't have a phone you use an authenticator app on your computer...

This guy successfully replaced the battery on a physical authenticator. Unfortunately, in doing so, the timer was off by about 30 seconds because it had lost power so it gave old codes from 30 seconds ago. You'd have to replace the battery in parallel so that the authenticator never loses power.

Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-10-30 at 09:59 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use app and enable SMS protection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludstorm View Post
    I have a physical authenticator that I have been using for a while now. I know that they stopped selling them a while back.

It still seems to be working fine but what happens when it finally runs outta juice/breaks. Should I take this off and switch to the app? Will they replace the battery/fix it etc?
    I sadly my trusted physical authenticator died some months ago, so I had to change to the App.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I don't have an authenticator because I have liyerally nothing of value on my account, if someone was to hack me I'd honestly just be impressed becaude why would anyone spend any amount of time on that
    Get up on that mail box and start dancing half naked, peasant!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have my physical authenticator from 2013 still working nicely though I don't need to input the code everytime anymore. I prefer physical as it just feels more secure though I doubt the phone app would be that much higher risk.

Phone has more than enough personal data to identify you and make hackers target you more directly, as it has already been said. Yeah, I have separate mail account for Wow, that is never used for anything else, but I still need to log in to it on my computer from time to time. To buy game time for example. And therefore if both my phone and my computer are compromised - then hacking Wow account is easy task. So, phone - is just second line of defense. It makes hacking 2x harder, but still possible. And authenticator is ultimate protection, that requires physical access to it.
    ....gonna say if you get your phone hacked you have bigger problems than your wow account being compromised....

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a Physical for years, but once the numbers started fading I swapped to app to avert any annoyance of trying to retrieve my account.

The App is nice.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludstorm View Post

Switch to the app. Yes, technically your phone could get hacked, but technically you could be killed by a meteor at any given moment too...some of the people replying need to get a better grip on risks. (And the person saying Google / Apple selling your info makes the authenticator app useless has absolutely no clue of what they are talking about)

The physical authenticator will die soon enough, and it's a lot easier to switch now than after the physical authenticator dies. The app is hands down far better than not having any authentication (and a lot better than texting you a code).

BTW, a physical authenticator doesn't protect you perfectly either as there are methods to trick you that have been done in the past (social engineering mostly). So never think that using some silver bullet security tool will protect you from everything...you will always have to remain alert to be secure.