Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I love how you guys seem to do the most boring shit available in the game, that you seem to hate, for endless amount of hours, for stuff so minor as a mount, or an archeology achievement, lol

... dudes, just don't do it then? When you quit the game, or servers shut down in the future, those things won't go with you.

Just do what you -like-.

Stood in the Fire ArkantosChampion's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    World quests - with rep/ap focus
    I'm a normal text, I'm a bold text.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just do what you -like-.
    The same goes for people who complain they cant play alts because they dont have essences on them.

1: even tho powerful not required to play
    2: most of them are fairly easy to get (aoe one / some rep based ones or even achievement based / etc etc)
    3: if you like to play a fresh character just do so.
    4: put some work into said character anyway if you are playing it, so getting some essences shouldnt be a big deal.

If you dont want to bother with essences, sure and thats fine. just play alts.

You dont need essences for most gameplay anyway. (if you shoot for world first raider, yes. if you want 3k rio score: yes) but for just the general friend and family raider / lets do 1 mythic + a week because of cache, you dont need to max out:

- Essences
    - HoA lvl
    - AP gear
    - Reputations
    - etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    To me even worse than that was the gold sink attached to so many Rank 2 or 3 patterns that chisel off maybe 1 or 2 mats for a pattern or formula that is largely forgotten or almost immediately rendered obsolete. Professions have been a complete dumpster fire the last two expansions.
    yeah, I remember when Crafting professions use to be a good thing to have, and could make you some gold if you got lucky with a world drop. Now anything of use it BoP, and anything craftable BoE is easily replaced by a WQ reward.

Any grind I have to do to be raid ready (meaning anything that awards player power I could use in raid besides getting gear from the raid itself).
    Any "perma-grind" mechanic that awards time played instead of skillful achievement.

If I had my way, everything would be like mage tower challenge and nothing would be like pathfinder or AP.

If you're skilled, you cut the time required to get rewards down to near-zero.
    If you suck, you quite literally never progress your character's power until you progress your OWN power.

I don't mind the AP grind... you're supposed to get 'enough' AP just by playing the game, and for me that's exactly what happened. I may hit relevant milestones a week or two after more dedicated players, but I've never felt like I had to deliberately go out there and focus on it.

I'm a collector, though, and a few things really grind my gears.

Paragon grinds for old content... holy crap. Blizzard really needs to sort that nonsense out. I'm still missing Legion collectibles, including all the Argus paragon mounts and that damn Dreamweaver pet. I'll also include the toys from the withered training. I just don't understand why the drop rates are so low. They really need to increase the rep from WQs and emissaries for old content rep grinds... by a lot, for a bunch of reasons.

But island expedition mounts have to be the worst. I've done hundreds of runs across multiple characters, and have gotten exactly zero mounts. There's no currency-based shortcut to obtaining them, there's no reliable way of getting them to drop, or even increasing the odds. Anyone who's any kind of completionist... or who just wants a particular island mount, is pretty much doomed to either running islands way after 9.0 ships, or even worse, simply not getting the mounts at all, depending on whether or not we'll be able to solo expeditions in 9.0+. I get raid mounts, they're supposed to be a status symbol... I even get the two Mechagon rares... but the ridiculous odds for island mounts is just inexplicable.

Soundless is a close second... you can have very low drop rates on a frequent spawn, or 100% drop rates on a rare spawn... but low drop rates on a rare spawn is BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    AP has gotten annoying because it is a lot of effort for 0.1% DPS

I dont so mount but I do battle pets. Doesnt boother me I do it on my own timetable

I used to like raid attunements, but could be nostalgia.

What I really used to enjoy was collecting rare mats for an epic piece of gear when all you had was blues.
    Seriously. I liked the carrot on a stick approach when the carrot was an amazing gear boost.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    If you're skilled, you cut the time required to get rewards down to near-zero.
    If you suck, you quite literally never progress your character's power until you progress your OWN power.
    If you had your way, there probably wouldn't be a World of Warcraft to have 'your way'. Absurd notions, really, and that's putting it mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    If you had your way, there probably wouldn't be a World of Warcraft to have 'your way'. Absurd notions, really, and that's putting it mildly.
    NEEDING to grind an activity to get what you want and having activities that are fun enough to warrant repetition in their own rite are two separate things.

I have every piece of gear I could possibly want in destiny 2 and my character is max power. There isn't a single carrot dangling in front of me.

I still run strikes, play crucible, do raids, etc weekly. The gameplay is just fun enough on it's own. No reward driven gameplay necessary to keep me logging in. I play destiny about 4x as much as I do (did as of this month) wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    NEEDING to grind an activity to get what you want and having activities that are fun enough to warrant repetition in their own rite are two separate things.

I have every piece of gear I could possibly want in destiny 2 and my character is max power. There isn't a single carrot dangling in front of me.

I still run strikes, play crucible, do raids, etc weekly. The gameplay is just fun enough on it's own. No reward driven gameplay necessary to keep me logging in. I play destiny about 4x as much as I do (did as of this month) wow.
    Yea, and look how popular or successful Destiny 2 is... hint, it's not. That in itself should be a clue. Players like having something to aim for, having objectives, grinding towards something. There's a reason why it's such a important aspect in games.

Another hint, remember WoD, what is commonly mentioned as the worst expansion in WoW history? It had literally no such grinds, as you suggest. Another clue for you. It had NOTHING to work towards, and it was a fucking bore, until tanaan jungle, where, gasp, such goals appeared again and it vastly improved.

There's something to be said about having too much to grind, or what types of grinds, but not having any is just a surefire way to let your game die. It's just a matter of finding the right balance.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2019-10-30 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    It goes beyond saying that the whole thing is completely personal.

For me, the worse ''mounts type'' are…

1)Huolon (I simply can't stand still doing nothing camping a mount)
    2)Paragon (Oh god. Nightfallen, Valajar and Farondis still need to drop)
    Legion paragons were trivial, sorry. You could just use the missiontable and funnel tokens.

You're right about Huolon/Rustfeather/Harvester, those have no place in this game IMO.

Island mounts are the worst grind though, I'm banking Dubloons in advance of 8.3 and I'm stupidly hoping I might see a mount drop in the meantime, but no. 700 IEs passed and still nothing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Legion paragons were trivial, sorry. You could just use the missiontable and funnel tokens.

You're right about Huolon/Rustfeather/Harvester, those have no place in this game IMO.

Island mounts are the worst grind though, I'm banking Dubloons in advance of 8.3 and I'm stupidly hoping I might see a mount drop in the meantime, but no. 700 IEs passed and still nothing.
    Droprates in the mounts are way too low to be funny.
    I surpassed 1500 IE's last week and only got 1 mount to show for it.

But yeah, thats blizzard i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    No, cancer is cancer. You're just annoyed.
    I salute you for this post.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

AP grinds. Get that shit out of the game for the love of god.

10+ Year Old Account
    "retired" mounts
    it's a marketing strategy to make hooked player even more hooked due to the gathering instincts of humans that results in some collecting behavior, with fear of missing out, while having some players arguing in favor of it due to another realistic trait of human nature, competition (those with a more competitive nature will say things that favor the existence of such mechanism because they're in a situation that is a benefice to them) + naturally following people will tend to defend opinions of players who seem to be very vocal and convincing, players that could be quite subject to those instincts of competition

this is somewhat similar to the neverending nature of the game, which is even worse, which has similar complicated social mechanism that makes it working and profitable

such an unhealthy experience, but still delivers pleasure somehow. for the most addicted, you're even more willing to reach financial freedom to play how and when you like.

Paragon and Mechagon type meta-achievements (fine with meta-achievements, but not if each of the achievements that makes it adds a new layer of RNG)

Edit: Also any grind that is character specific and not gear or professions.
    Reputation and AP come to mind as things that should absolutely be account wide
    Last edited by zlygork; 2019-10-30 at 06:10 PM.

Paragons were the worst ever. God, that was a miserable mechanic. I got 8 dupes before I got the last Felcrusher I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    I despise that Rank 3 Prof patterns are locked behind Rep grinds. My alts were completely made to support my main, then each other. I use to max every profession and learn everything, because you'd speed level your main, to get ready for the server race for Raid clears, but your alts, at least for some, were used to experience the story and could take their time, but you could still max out and learn everything. Legion started the Death of Alt play, for me and many others, because of this new system. Maybe because it was bundled with AP grinds (another thing I hate) 1st for weapons, now for necks. That time you would be spending on grinding your Reps on alts, should be time spent grinding AP on your Main.
    An easy fix to that would be to make the recipes "bind on account" so that you can earn them on your main and send them to your profession alts.

However, that makes too much sense to be viable for Blizzard.

On topic: I must have done hundreds of runs for Mimirons head and it still hasn't dropped

Wish it had some bad luck protection for X amount of times you do it. I hate that I never got to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    AP. I think most ppl will agree to this. No one wants to grind something for the entire expansion. U also feel forced to do it since it’s tied to player progression.
    AP grind is there to offset alredy way too fast gearing. Just like rng aspects. Without them you would have nothing to do in 2-3 weeks. Since grtting gear ready for most casual content takes few days they have to increase time played somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Except you already know how to make it. The higher ranks don't make it function any better or differently, it just takes less materials. There's no RPG aspect behind this at all, it's just a time gate. If the higher ranks were actually better, I could see it, but they aren't.
    But he's teaching you a ew trick to do it more efficiently. That is how I would look at it.