Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddyfish View Post
    Where has is it been misleading though?

$500,000 is the minimum the prize pool will be, if the %25 of sales do not meet $500,000 then they will top up the rest.
    And it's all their money, the toys are their product. The %25 of those sales is theirs.

Alternatively they could have just set a $500,000.
    Kept 100% from the toys sales(You think the majority baught these goods because of the prize pool????), and actually have earned more.
    I don't think a majority baught it for the price pool, but i am very sure a good amount did. When buying things, it really helps ease us in our purchase, if we get to do it for other reasons than just giving us things. This is why charity or community-supportive buying is so popular. Just look at Dota2 and their Compendium. That item is primarily being promoted as a way to increase the prize pool of TI and that really helps push product.

If you say, that you want to be charitable and then aren't in the end, you are being dishonest and misleading. If you are disclaiming, that you are not being charitable and people yet think you are, then you are doing a poor job of communicating that and you deserve any backlash.

Some people clearly stood with the assumption, that their purchase would help increase the price pool from the very first purchase, and when that was confirmed not to be true, they feel betrayed.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    So while this was not illegal, it was misleading and a scumbag move. If they were going to fund this differently from the Industry standard they should have told every one .It is still very bad optics and a bad PR move on their part, one that will hurt them in the future when they try to do this again.
    Nothing is misleading. Blizzard contributes their money to the prize pool. Blizzard said they will use sales of a toy to fund the prize pool. Blizzard uses their money to fund the prize pool. People freak out and say they are scummy for funding the prize pool with the money they earned as a company. They stated what revenue would be put towards and followed through.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    So... instead of being 25% of the toy price, it has become 25% of the toy price?
    Instead of the prize being 25% of toy price + the original prize pool of 500k, its just the 25% of toy price. Instead of Blizzard adding to their original prize pool, they just said, that they community should pay for it instead.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i think the key word in the quote is contribute. when i hear contribute, it means i'm adding to something. if there was no base pool to begin with, i don't think i'm contributing to something. but i'm not a lawyer. what i do know, this is sickening that the blizz ceos aren't willing to skip out on one pay check just so they could avoid bad pr.
    Contribute and " Help " toward the Prize pool. Help infers that your purchase would help increase the prize pool, not BE the prize pool. Help implies that Blizzard was contributing a base of $500k . This tutrned out to be nothing more then a big cash garb under the guise of helping the esports
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The "crowdfunding" is also just horrible as it is, no matter if they communicated it clear enough or not. Blizzard literally said to its community, that they would love for them to pay their bill at the next Blizzcon event when it comes to prize pool. There was no "good faith" in the event, nothing about actually supporting players. It was all about removing the cost for Blizzard to pay out a price pool for their WoW E-sports department.
    Is it "horrible"? Personally I don't think so, but let's leave it for now. Let's focus on the alternative - because to me, it looks like the alternative is simply cancelling WoW esports, since nobody cares about it anyway, and all it brings Blizzard is losses. They chose, what I would call, lesser of two "evils" - gave the players the chance to pay for it, if they care to. Could the wording be "clearer"? Perhaps. Though, in my opinion, no matter how clear it was...some people still wouldn't understand it, or, more likely - wouldn't read it at all. And we would be right where we are anyway - in Outrage Land.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

15+ Year Old Account
    i think the key word in the quote is contribute. when i hear contribute, it means i'm adding to something. if there was no base pool to begin with, i don't think i'm contributing to something. but i'm not a lawyer. what i do know, this is sickening that the blizz ceos aren't willing to skip out on one pay check just so they could avoid bad pr.
    1+0=1. You contributed. Blizzard was just telling players how the prize pool would be funded. Instead of just pulling it from whatever revenue the company made which is all from players making purchases.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of the prize being 25% of toy price + the original prize pool of 500k, its just the 25% of toy price. Instead of Blizzard adding to their original prize pool, they just said, that they community should pay for it instead.
    They never said it was sales plus original. The community always pays as where do you think Blizzard gets any of their money?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

But Blizzard never stated the prize pool would be 500k+25% of the toy price.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    1+0=1. You contributed. Blizzard was just telling players how the prize pool would be funded. Instead of just pulling it from whatever revenue the company made which is all from players making purchases.

- - - Updated - - -

They never said it was sales plus original. The community always pays as where do you think Blizzard gets any of their money?
    if i added to nothing, i didn't contribute, i started the pool.

Nothing is misleading. Blizzard contributes their money to the prize pool. Blizzard said they will use sales of a toy to fund the prize pool. Blizzard uses their money to fund the prize pool. People freak out and say they are scummy for funding the prize pool with the money they earned as a company. They stated what revenue would be put towards and followed through.
    Oh it is misleading as i said. You pruchased the toy because 25% was going to help toward the prize pool. That implies that Blizzard is putting in the base 500k and teh 25% would help increase it. Its not illegal its misleading and scummy as many have said
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

15+ Year Old Account
    So you contributed by starting the pool. You can't start something with out contributing lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    You still misunderstand. Blizzard said it would be 25% of proceeds with a minimum amount of 500k for the prize pool. That means that if sales did not reach the minimum amount Blizzard would be covering the amount from somewhere else. Because they are guaranteeing 500k no matter what. So if only one person bought a toy then they would still have a prize pool of 500k.

They never said it would be 25% on top of 500k. This shows that it isn't a problem Blizzard can solve. Because you are not even reading their words correctly and instead keep choosing to misunderstand.
    This is not about misunderstanding. Sure, we all misunderstand this, but then why the hell did they not make it really clear, like they do with their other promotions like with SC2 and their battle box. There they clearly state where the money goes, yet in this situation they were vague.

Blizzard could easily have solved this, by actually being transparent about this. When the toys were announced, people were complaining and were worried about what was going on and yet they did not come out and restate the intent of the toys.

I read their words and i get an understanding from, by just going word to word. If you have to drive up beside me and reinterpret what they ment, then they have not been clear enough in the first place!

If you say, that you want to be charitable and then aren't in the end, you are being dishonest and misleading. If you are disclaiming, that you are not being charitable and people yet think you are, then you are doing a poor job of communicating that and you deserve any backlash.
    But they have contributed, $660,000 is the prize pool now.

Oh it is misleading as i said. You pruchased the toy because 25% was going to help toward the prize pool. That implies that Blizzard is putting in the base 500k and teh 25% would help increase it. Its not illegal its misleading and scummy as many have said
    No, the Blizzard statement doesn't imply anything, doesn't guarantee any 500k prize pool baseline+25% of the sales. You're reaching. Their only statement is:

"For a limited time, every purchase of the Transmorpher Beacon or Lion’s Pride and Horde’s Might Fireworks, 25% of the proceeds will contribute toward the year’s finals LAN event prize pool for the Arena World Championship (AWC) and the Mythic Dungeon International (MDI) with a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $500,000 USD ($250,000 USD for each event.)"

15+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't imply anything. The words said 25% of sales would go to the prize pool with a guarenteed minimum of 500k. It doesn't say 25% plus 500k would be the prize pool. Every purchase helped the prize pool by adding 25% of proceeds to it. It isn't illegal. It wasn't misleading. It wasn't scummy. Blizzard is still contributing all of the money to the prize pool.

If no player bought the toy they would still have a 500k prize pool. Players funded it higher then the minimum.

You still contributed by starting it, that's one. Two, if someone bought the toy before, then the pool isn't zero anymore. You added to something, which in your eyes is the definition of contribution so...all good? Exactly the way Blizzard said?
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

3+ Year Old Account
    Here's what ppl don't seem to understand:
    Let's say blizzard put out the Hogrus, Swine of Good Fortune mount with the purpose (hidden from players) that it will cover AWC 2018 prize pool 250k. It comes out that they earn 4million from it, they put the 250k to the prize pool and take 3.75million.
    This year:
    Now they offered to still guarantee the 250k covered mostly buy the toy, but they will increase it based on how well the toy goes.

No tricks in this. All we have is the hatetrain pounding.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is not about misunderstanding.
    And yet you keep basing your point on misunderstanding their statement. Funny how you can't even understand what you are saying. They can't make it any clearer then they did. 25% of proceeds go to a prize pool with a minimum of 500k guaranteed. That is exactly what happened. If it isn't about misunderstanding then they wouldn't have to make things clearer.

They were transparent. They told you how they were funding the prize pool as opposed to hiding how they fund it. I am "driving up beside" you because you are continuing to refuse to understand what the words they stated actually mean. You even got done telling me that it isn't an issue of not understanding while your entire post was how people didn't understand. Blizzard can't help the foolish stop being a fool.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    But Blizzard never stated the prize pool would be 500k+25% of the toy price.
    They said, that you could "help take the WoW esports prize pool to the next level." Yet if only 499k sales were made, we did not really help increase the prize pool at all. They also never directly stated, that the 25% sales would replace the minimum of 500k, if it exceded it. When you think "minimum", don't you think foundation or base? That no matter what, even if 0 people buys the product, they will get 500k. So if i buy a toy, they will get 500.005$? That is how i read it, and just the mere fact, that i can read it like that, makes it shady thing. It should have been 100% clear, what the money were going to and how they would deal with it.

The statement itself seems like something a lawyer would write for a sleesy car shop, that sells broken cars. You can't catch them on anything illigal, but you just know that they are trying to cover their ass somehow in that way of writing.

15+ Year Old Account
    When you think "minimum", don't you think foundation or base? That no matter what, even if 0 people buys the product, they will get 500k.
    That is exactly what happened. If no one bought the product the prize pool would be 500k. If people buy the product it can increase beyond the minimum. You clearly understand it but are still given them crap for not making it clear. They can't stop a fool from being a fool no matter how hard they try.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddyfish View Post
    But they have contributed, $660,000 is the prize pool now.
    yes, they did contribute 660k, but that should have been added to the 500k which Blizzard said was the foundation they build upon. If things were right, we would have a 1.160 mill price pool.

Just because the price pool is larger than the 500k Blizzard would have had to pay out of their own pocket, does not mean its good practice from Blizzards side. They made the players pay for the e-sports event, not add to its price pool with their every purchase.