Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So where did prize money come from prior to this toy? From players. Blizzard took a portion of revenue and set it aside for prizes. Same as now. The only difference is you were told that they were setting a specific portion of revenue aside for the prize and that players could increase it from the normal maximum based on how much they bought. There is no difference.

It helped support the e-sport community. You are just mad because you didn't understand.
    ...There is a 500k in difference, so this is not nothing. Its also a question about good faith from Blizzard, which is completly drained from this situation. Instead of being community first, it became "please reduce our costs" first.

You helped add more money to Blizzards coffers. Im mad, that you seem fine to do that instead of actually helping the e-sports community.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

For a company that wants to be 'up there with the big bois in esports' they sure do little to fuck all in supporting it.
    You're telling me that a billion dollar company doesn't feel the need to put in a decent enough prize pool from their own chunk of cheddar?
    Anyone who feels the need to defend this should really look at how esports works nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    For a company that wants to be 'up there with the big bois in esports' they sure do little to fuck all in supporting it.
    You're telling me that a billion dollar company doesn't feel the need to put in a decent enough prize pool from their own chunk of cheddar?
    Anyone who feels the need to defend this should really look at how esports works nowadays.
    If they do (and I'm not sure they actually do, seeing how they fucked over HotS), they have Overwatch for that. WoW never was designed to be about esport, and never will be. They could throw millions upon millions at it, and it would never reach even a fraction of the popularity that LoL or Fortnite or anything else have.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Personally I thought the original statement was pretty clear, they never had any real intention of putting anywhere near 500k in the prize pool. In the end, the MTX went better than expected for them and they just decided that they didn't need to contribute anything to the prize pool for their own game at their own event, that's a real shitty way to operate.

It's not like the prize pool is very big either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    ...There is a 500k in difference, so this is not nothing. Its also a question about good faith from Blizzard, which is completly drained from this situation. Instead of being community first, it became "please reduce our costs" first. You helped add more money to Blizzards coffers. Im mad, that you seem fine to do that instead of actually helping the e-sports community.
    No there isn't. Where does normal prize money come from? Revenue Blizzard generates. Where did this prize pool come from? Revenue Blizzard generated. Blizzard acted just as they said they would and in good faith by acting just as they said they would. No costs were reduced because Blizzard still has to pay the money from their revenue. It in fact is costing them more because the prize pool is larger then the minimum. They could have pocketed that difference if they didn't agree to give a % of proceeds to the prize pool.

Every purchase made from Blizzard helps to add money to their coffers. You are mad that a business operates as a business? Seriously. You don't get a lot of things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Welp time to refund my Toy Purchase.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    That would need foresight and some kind of business-understanding, something activisionblizzard do not have. Not that i care much about e-sports at all, but blizzard is the company who wants everything but not spending anything for it. It's the same with their employees as with their e-sports: they do give lower wadges there and here, but they expect more than anyone else. If possible blizzard wants that everyone work for them for free.

So yes, removing the money is bad for their reputation, bad for the genre, bad for the game, bad for them, but right now they only think of: $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved. And that's it.

Ok, they loose millions later: BUT THEY SAVED MONEY!!!!!!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    if i added to nothing, i didn't contribute, i started the pool.
    Contribute doesn't mean "add to," it means "help fund" or "help achieve." How do so few people not know what this word means?

If I said I'm going to build a house and you decide to contribute to building it, that doesn't mean I built the whole house and you added an extra floor. It means you helped build the house.

Blizzard said 25% of the proceeds would contribute toward (read: help fund) a minimum $500k prize pool. There is nothing in the statement indicating Blizzard would kick in a "base" amount, only that it would not be less than $500k. If you read it any other way, I am sorry, but your reading comprehension is lacking.

If you want to say it's shitty they aren't kicking in anything extra on top of the 25% proceeds they earmarked, fine. But there's nothing misleading about their statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Welp time to refund my Toy Purchase.
    impossible to refund microtransactions unless you made one by accident and promptly stated your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Except you're not funding it alone - you're funding it along with all the other people buying the toy. You are all contributing.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/...ish/contribute

Contribute - to give something, especially money, in order to provide or achieve something together with other people.

Kinda...Exactly the situation we have here, huh?
    LOOOOOOL okay suuure dude. I don't know if you know how that sentence works, but it's pretty obviously implying that "crowdfunding" is one entire entity and that the contribute portion is the part where Blizzard is supposed to also help. I don't know if you're familiar with how contributions work, but it'd be a pretty dick move if I decided to have my coworkers all contribute to get our boss a leaving gift that was totally my idea and then i just... don't put any of my own money in because it was my idea and they raised enough money to meet the minimum standards for a gift lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    yes, they did contribute 660k, but that should have been added to the 500k which Blizzard said was the foundation they build upon. If things were right, we would have a 1.160 mill price pool.

Just because the price pool is larger than the 500k Blizzard would have had to pay out of their own pocket, does not mean its good practice from Blizzards side. They made the players pay for the e-sports event, not add to its price pool with their every purchase.
    It was never stated as a "Foundation they build upon". It was the minimum amount...
    They have paid out of their own pocket, where else would this money come from??? People didn't donate this money, they bought a product.

Your twisting their words to suit your outrage.

Nobody likes to be on the side of Major Corporations but ridiculous arguments like these make people just look desperate to cry at anything, pick your fights properly and people will take you seriously.
    Last edited by Teddyfish; 2019-10-31 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Contribute doesn't mean "add to," it means "help fund" or "help achieve." How do so few people not know what this word means?

If I said I'm going to build a house and you decide to contribute to building it, that doesn't mean I built the whole house and you added an extra floor. It means you helped build the house.

Blizzard said 25% of the proceeds would contribute toward (read: help fund) a minimum $500k prize pool. There is nothing in the statement indicating Blizzard would kick in a "base" amount, only that it would not be less than $500k. If you read it any other way, I am sorry, but your reading comprehension is lacking.

If you want to say it's shitty they aren't kicking in anything extra on top of the 25% proceeds they earmarked, fine. But there's nothing misleading about their statement.
    You just said "help fund"

We didn't "HELP FUND" anything. We DID FUND it LOL. There was no "helping" from anybody aside from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    impossible to refund microtransactions unless you made one by accident and promptly stated your case.
    Well you can do it other ways, their method was kinda deceptive so you could dispute it under deceptive practices.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

I hope the Blizzard game development team is separate from the corporate team.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosopino View Post
    I hope the Blizzard game development team is separate from the corporate team.
    Yeah, they even sit in completely different towns. The corporate/marketing is mostly in the same building of Activision Blizzard in Santa Monica business park. I worked in the same building for another company, they are completely detached from the game industry, and it shows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    So yes, removing the money is bad for their reputation, bad for the genre, bad for the game, bad for them, but right now they only think of: $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved, $500.000 saved. And that's it.
    They are paying more then 500,000. They are not saving 500,000 at all. All money comes from somewhere and all money given is money they will no longer have. They are actually spending more money because they allowed the prize pool to be increased over 500,000.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

They are paying more then 500,000. They are not saving 500,000 at all. All money comes from somewhere and all money given is money they will no longer have. They are actually spending more money because they allowed the prize pool to be increased over 500,000.
    No the only money split on the MDI and AWC is only 250k blizzard took back the other money they offered

No, they are spending exactly $0, so in this sense thanks to the community they are making around 2 million bucks, and do not need to pay a dime to the price pool out of their own pocket.

15+ Year Old Account
    No the only money split on the MDI and AWC is only 250k blizzard took back the other money they offered
    What money did they take back? They offered 25% of the proceeds from the toys with a minimum of 500k if the toys did not sell over that amount. The toys sold over that amount so nothing was taken back. The prize is above the minimum amount because of the sale of the toys. Blizzard is still out 500,000 because they would have paid that amount no matter what.

3+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard offered that if 25% of the income from the two toys are higher than 500k than they will give more than 500k from their money. Its not that they have a piggybank they collected the toy money in.