Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Lightbulb Blizzard needs to EMBRACE flying...

I'm almost certain that this has been talked about before... but.

To take away flying would ruin the game at this point. So the only option left is for Blizzard to embrace flying and make zones, islands, questing areas etc; only available through it. This was done in Wrath I believe and I remember it being a really enjoyable experience having to fly to the top of Storm Peaks or wherever it was; as it was the only way to get there.

Embrace this mechanic and make it a true character of the game's design. Don't just have it as an ease of access tool to get around the zones. Having that as Flying's only benefit is ~ B O R I N G ~.

It's a subjective topic I suppose but, am I wrong?
    Last edited by Krelivane; 2019-10-31 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Grammar and typos

The main reason for restricting flying is so that it takes longer to do things which helps Blizzard's shareholder meetings with the "Player Engagement" metric.

Nah, flying is shit. Year of gating at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The main reason for restricting flying is so that it takes longer to do things which helps Blizzard's shareholder meetings with the "Player Engagement" metric.
    Main reason for restriction of flying is that it never was good for the game but by the time Blizz realized it was too late to take it out. So they gave us pathfinder as middle ground solution.

They have embraced it. If you've completed the world content in the first half of the expansion you get flying for the second half.

Or a crazy idea since they spend a shitload of time on creating zones, they want people to actually see it and not just fly from quest giver to objective and then back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Or a crazy idea since they spend a shitload of time on creating zones, they want people to actually see it and not just fly from quest giver to objective and then back.
    Bullshit.

If that was the case they wouldn't make people wait almost an entire year before allowing flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Harisun View Post
    I'm almost certain that this has been talked about before... but.

To take away flying would ruin the game at this point. So the only option left is for Blizzard to embrace flying and make zones, islands, questing areas etc; only available through it. This was done in Wrath I believe and I remember it being a really enjoyable experience having to fly to the top of Storm Peaks or wherever it was; as it was the only way to get there.

Embrace this mechanic and make it a true character of the game's design. Don't just have it as an ease of access tool to get around the zones. Having that as Flying's only benefit is ~ B O R I N G ~.

It's a subjective topic I suppose but, am I wrong?
    i just unlocked flying on my main today being October 30th. im working at my own pace. i feel super good to have flying but now i don't see any reason to log in the game. blizzard needs to have flying in the early expansion that unlocked. and less heavy requirements. its like eating a big nothing burger having flying locked away the gates of rep grind.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like the small areas if not zones where flying is the only method of accessibility designed with that in mind with both pros and cons for challenge and reward.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ya they do but blizzard thinks it's a problem when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper Ninja View Post
    i just unlocked flying on my main today being October 30th. im working at my own pace. i feel super good to have flying but now i don't see any reason to log in the game. blizzard needs to have flying in the early expansion that unlocked. and less heavy requirements. its like eating a big nothing burger having flying locked away the gates of rep grind.
    This. Have it available from the start, or at least at the end of the new content / leveling experience. Then have content that's only accessible through flying itself.

The thing that is the problem is having to wait months 6+ past launch in order to get it. BFA it was longer then most other expansions for part two to come out then work on. With recent events and the subs being below 1mill . One can hope that jobs will be on the line to keep players or attract more back to the game. Current expansion is just garbage.

Bullshit.

If that was the case they wouldn't make people wait almost an entire year before allowing flying.
    Why not? Maybe people should consider fact that in mmo game you are not supostu just fly over everthing what stands in way getting from A to B including players themself. Any decent developer can give number of reasons why it is good thing to keep players grounded no matter how many times you have done content.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Why not? Maybe people should consider fact that in mmo game you are not supostu just fly over everthing what stands in way getting from A to B including players themself. Any decent developer can give number of reasons why it is good thing to keep players grounded no matter how many times you have done content.
    Those "reasons" boiling down to increasing the time it takes to do things so they can report that players are more "engaged" to their shareholders.

Those "reasons" boiling down to increasing the time it takes to do things so they can report that players are more "engaged" to their shareholders.
    No it boils down to meeting other players, no be able to avoid danger which in bfa lacks becouse mobs are not threat at all but thats different issue, makes world feel much much smaller, destroys immersion, etc.. Ofc flying itself isnt casuing all this but definitly adds to it.

By your logic Blizzard should just inta teleport you to your objective becouse you know to not just waste your time right? Seems like you forget that this is supostu be mmo game where world is what should matter and be immersive.

They they should creat content which keeps the world engaging and fun to travel, with activities that support this design. At this point, all activities past questing and leveling are repetetive and become tedious very fast. Even leveling becomes this way after the first time, being able to fly and progress faster through content already known and played makes it alot more comfortable to play through.

Running from world quest to world quest and reaching an annoying spot where you have to detour or getting kicked off your mount because you run into a zone with lots of enemies which offer nothing upon killing them is not fun. If Blizzard wants us to travel on the ground, they should put in the effort of making traveling and activities on the ground engaging and fun. It's that simple. People prefering to fly over everything is bad design on Blizzard part and as professional developers, they should be willing to admit that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to just go back to the way it was in TBC, Wrath, Cata, and MoP, where it was available as soon as you hit max level for a gold fee that each character had to pay... And once you had one character at max level, you could buy an accountbound flight license that could be used to grant flying to alts at the entry level.

It worked well, and it was a good, reasonable gold sink.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

They should have it where you reach max level and you can buy flying for the new zone. You should not have to do every quest for the game to get it. Just give people discounts on it if they want to do every damn quest in the game. If flying is ruining the game just about everybody is getting anyways.

15+ Year Old Account
    They could meet their anti-flying needs with reasons why we can't fly in specific expansions.

Especially in the rumored death themed expansion, for example, flying for too long could deteriorate your health at a rapid pace. Which still allows it, but would prevent abusing it.

No it boils down to meeting other players, no be able to avoid danger which in bfa lacks becouse mobs are not threat at all but thats different issue, makes world feel much much smaller, destroys immersion, etc.. Ofc flying itself isnt casuing all this but definitly adds to it.
    If by "meeting other players" you mean doing world quests with them around, then you do that even with flying.

The world has pretty much never been dangerous in WoW aside from a few random things like the Fel Reaver, which was easily avoided.

You know what fucking breaks my immersion? Having flying mounts that forget how to fucking fly every damn expansion.