Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Probably because Republicans don't typically champion themselves are supporters of human rights and equality. Where as that is literally her platform. So when we turns around and says something insanely ignorant like "there's no academic consensus on the Armenian genocide" it tends to turn a lot heads.

That's not to say those 11 Republicans don't deserve to get called out as well, but level of disappointment or shock is not going to be the same.
    Which just makes them even worse. They go on about American and freedom all the time but support dictatorships. Also attack voting rights and such at every turn the problem is people just kind of give it a pass. Like democrats hold republicans more accountable than their base ever tried.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Man, I wish I were a US Republican right now, you can do any shit you want and people will instead attack any possible Democrats like it's a magic act.
    I know right Endus linked her statement which recognized it as a genocide.... While 11 republicans just said straight up nay... I guess the Omar bad.exe started running again.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-10-30 at 07:02 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Which just makes them even worse. They go on about American and freedom all the time but support dictatorships. Also attack voting rights and such at every turn the problem is people just kind of give it a pass. Like democrats hold republicans more accountable than their base ever tried.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right Endus linked her statement which recognized it as a genocide.... While 11 republicans just said straight up nay... I guess the Omar bad.exe started running again.
    Her acknowledgement is literal whataboutism tho. Like she refuses to acknowledge because other genocides happened and it should be academic instead (the armenian genocide is widely acknowledged in the academic circles there are letters with the direct orders)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Her acknowledgement is literal whataboutism tho. Like she refuses to acknowledge because other genocides happened and it should be academic instead (the armenian genocide is widely acknowledged in the academic circles there are letters with the direct orders)
    It isn't "whataboutism". She refused to take a kick at a pointless political football that is both hypocritical and irrelevant, since a vote can't change historical fact, which she acknowledged.

Do you think the Armenian Genocide would have retroactively and magically not have happened, had the vote gone the other way? If "no", you should understand where Omar was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Do you know of any country on the planet except turkey that pretends they are not different?
    If yes, I'd like to see your source for that, since I am not very knowledgeable on the matter
    No other country cares because Turkey is the one that has to fight the PKK.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No other country cares because Turkey is the one that has to fight the PKK.
    Turkey "acts" like it has to fight the kurd "menace" for the better part of the last 100 years and assholes like you are the ones who have made it possible. Wanna change your steps or still dance to the tune of erdogan?
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I can't conceive of any possible interpretation of that sentence that doesn't mean the exact opposite of what you're imputing.

The purpose is to condemn Congress making this a political stance, when it's something that should be accepted as a historical fact to begin with. It's like passing a bill to recognize the Holocaust. It just provides the deniers a chance to say "nay", and make it seem like there's some actual debate.

Frankly, Omar's abstention seems less about casting doubt than the bill itself. Nobody voting gets any say in whether the Armenian Genocide happened or not. Congress having an official stance on it is . . . stupid. It's like having an official stance on whether Nigeria exists. There shouldn't be a vote, because that suggests it is a matter of opinion, whereas Omar insisted it's a matter of fact and record.
    Maybe and just maybe they did it for the same reason the german Bundestag did the same thing, to show thoe little fuckers over there in Turkey that it´s not as if we forget that eve rhappend?

Just as a little hint...

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Turkey "acts" like it has to fight the kurd "menace" for the better part of the last 100 years and assholes like you are the ones who have made it possible. Wanna change your steps or still dance to the tune of erdogan?
    The US recognizes the PKK as a terrorist organization and they have caused quite a bit of damage within Turkey. Your romanticism of their struggle won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The US recognizes the PKK as a terrorist organization and they have caused quite a bit of damage within Turkey. Your romanticism of their struggle won't change that.
    So all the outrage from every country out there is because all the world leaders are confused? They confuse SDF with PKK, those poor ignorants.

Good thing there is Reliable-Turkey and Knadra on the internet to tell us they are one and the same. Hahaha

Look, there is an easy way to know the truth, so even you can know.
    If turkey says something, the opposite is the truth.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    refusing to acknowledge would be to vote nay, wouldn't it? Voting present simply state that you don't either don't have an opinion on the matter, or don't want your opinion becoming a vote.

Don't put your word in her mouth, she didn't say she denied the genocide, she just refuse to participate to this vote. Her stated reasons are that the US should recognize its own misgivings first.

You may agree or disagree, but don't strawman her.

This isn't remotely the first time people have straight-up lied about Omar's explicitly stated position in a bullshit attempt at a "gotcha" moment. See also the claims that she's "anti-semitic", for instance.

You can take your pick as to why right-wingers have such a bug up their butts about her, specifically. But the arguments they actually level against her pretty much never actually hold any water.
    Well, I know what you're saying, but similar obsessions occur with AOC.. for one thing.

Of course the anti-semitic congresswoman that downplayed 9/11 denies that the armenian genocide happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Of course the anti-semitic congresswoman that downplayed 9/11 denies that the armenian genocide happened.
    Of course Break the Ice doesn't know what he is talking about. Just another standard post from you.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    I think people are getting so self absorbed they are missing my point. I am not all saying that Republicans who voted against the recognition aren't vile. They are disgusting, anyone who would vote such a way is. My original point was the Omar's comment's were a copt out and they deserve to be vilified too.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't conceive of any possible interpretation of that sentence that doesn't mean the exact opposite of what you're imputing.

The purpose is to condemn Congress making this a political stance, when it's something that should be accepted as a historical fact to begin with. It's like passing a bill to recognize the Holocaust. It just provides the deniers a chance to say "nay", and make it seem like there's some actual debate.

Frankly, Omar's abstention seems less about casting doubt than the bill itself. Nobody voting gets any say in whether the Armenian Genocide happened or not. Congress having an official stance on it is . . . stupid. It's like having an official stance on whether Nigeria exists. There shouldn't be a vote, because that suggests it is a matter of opinion, whereas Omar insisted it's a matter of fact and record.
    You can't conceive because you lack the emotional internal metric to see how such a comment might perceived by an persons who is an actual victim of genocide. Or its continued cultural destruction and degradation of those victims for decades to follow.

Let be clear what what I've stated in this thread is not just my own opinion but those mirrored by Democractic Armenians who feel betrayed by Omar's actions. You have such a defensive posture towards someone of your own political ideologies being questioned that you would immediately dismiss this as an attack on your beliefs rather than try to question why someone might take offense to them. That is both sad and closed minded. It lacks a particular type of empathy that liberals are suppose to be about. So I have no real desire to engage with further discussion with someone like you. What Omar stated parrots what countless Turk nationalists have used as genocide denial for well near a century now. And not just the genocide of Armenians but the Assyrians before them. If you can find dignity in defending that, well that is on your conscience.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2019-11-03 at 07:30 PM.

I think people are getting so self absorbed they are missing my point. I am not all saying that Republicans who voted against the recognition aren't vile. They are disgusting, anyone who would vote such a way is. My original point was the Omar's comment's were a copt out and they deserve to be vilified too.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't conceive because you lack the emotional internal metric to see how such a comment might perceived by an persons who is an actual victim of genocide. Or its continued cultural destruction and degradation of those victims for decades to follow.

Let be clear what what I've stated in this thread is not just my own opinion but those mirrored by Democractic Armenians who feel betrayed by Omar's actions. You have such a defensive posture towards someone of your own political ideologies being questioned that you would immediately dismiss this as an attack on your beliefs rather than try to question why someone might take offense to them. That is both sad and closed minded. It lacks a particular type of empathy that liberals are suppose to be about. So I have no real desire to engage with further discussion with someone like you. What Omar stated parrots what countless Turk nationalists have used as genocide denial for well near a century now. And not just the genocide of Armenians but the Assyrians before them. If you can find dignity in defending that, well that is on your conscience.
    So, why are you not utterly outraged at those who refused to vote at all, or voted against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, why are you not utterly outraged at those who refused to vote at all, or voted against it?
    Holy fuck, can you not read? I just caused them disgusting.

Holy fuck, can you not read? I just caused them disgusting.
    Oh, I can read just fine, you, along with others feel the desire to pile on to a single person, when she's not even the one who actually voted against it.

You wanted to whine about people being partisan... and yet, you are doing your damndest to play into that scheme.

Oh, I can read just fine, you, along with others feel the desire to pile on to a single person, when she's not even the one who actually voted against it.

You wanted to whine about people being partisan... and yet, you are doing your damndest to play into that scheme.
    No.

Someone in this thread said, why call her out. I entailed because she betrays her parties beliefs and she deserves to be called the same as Republicans who voted against the recognition.

Obtuse people such as yourself have perceived this as an attack only on Omar or that I people are scapegoating the people who voted against the recognition. But that is not the case at all.

No.

Someone in this thread said, why call her out. I entailed because she betrays her parties beliefs and she deserves to be called the same as Republicans who voted against the recognition.

Obtuse people such as yourself have perceived this as an attack only on Omar or that I people are scapegoating the people who voted against the recognition. But that is not the case at all.
    Except she didn't really betray her party's beliefs. If that's the case, then didn't the GOP members who voted against it betray their party's beliefs even more?

The issue is the desire to focus on her, when she didn't even actually vote against it. That simply reveals your bias, not hers. And don't try for even a second to say that you are not focusing on her.

Now, if you can see point to her supporting genocide, be my guest. From what I can see, she's trying to make it an apolitical issue, instead of a partisan one.

Here's an idea, have them vote on whether they think genocide is bad. Problem solved.

Except she didn't really betray her party's beliefs. If that's the case, then didn't the GOP members who voted against it betray their party's beliefs even more?
    Absolute whataboutism but who cares. Yes they are a betrayal of American beliefs at the end of the day. I have never argued otherwise in this thread.

The issue is the desire to focus on her, when she didn't even actually vote against it. That simply reveals your bias, not hers. And don't try for even a second to say that you are not focusing on her.
    Unlike you, I have no bias in this equation. I am not a Republican or a Democrat. Nor do I even give a remote shit for those distinctions because the topic at hand is way deeper than that tired bullshit.

Now, if you can see point to her supporting genocide, be my guest. From what I can see, she's trying to make it an apolitical issue, instead of a partisan one.
    She most certainly is not.

Her primary point is that we shouldn't use genocide recognition as a political instrument. She is not entirely wrong there but she ultimately reaches the wrong conclusion. Genocide is real whether we choose to accept it or not. And as empathetic beings and societies we should choose to accept it completely independent of political affiliations or relations. It should be something that is completely based on the issue of FACT. But that is counter-intuitive to her claim because she tries to postulate that the Armenian genocide isn't fact at all but disputed by the scientific community (which it is not). That requires nothing but historical ignorance to defend her point.

Absolute whataboutism but who cares. Yes they are a betrayal of American beliefs at the end of the day. I have never argued otherwise in this thread.

Unlike you, I have no bias in this equation. I am not a Republican or a Democrat. Nor do I even give a remote shit for those distinctions because the topic at hand is way deeper than tired bullshit.

She most certainly is not.

Her primary point is that we shouldn't use genocide recognition as a political instrument. She is not entirely wrong there but she ultimately reaches the wrong conclusion. Genocide is real whether we choose to accept it or not. And as empathetic beings and societies we should choose to accept it completely independent of political affiliations or relations. It should be something that is completely based on the issue of FACT. But that is counter-intuitive to her claim because she tries to postulate that the Armenian genocide isn't fact at all but disputed by the scientific community (which it is not). That requires nothing but historical ignorance to defend her point.

Here's an idea, have them vote on whether they think genocide is bad. Problem solved.
    You are the one pushing that whataboutism... thanks for pointing it out. You are the one pushing partisanship, whilst trying to blame others for it. Thanks, again.

Please, keep going. The longer this goes on, the more you keep proving me right about it all.