Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Playable Classes - WoW Cosmology Remaining Domains

Okay, so as you might've noticed over the many WoW expansions
    that have been released we've received 3 new playable classes so far.

It occurred to me that these all fill a different spot within the
    WoW Cosmology which can be viewed below.

It makes perfect sense to me that none of the new classes share
    a spot on this chart in order to diversify the game's new class portfolio.

When they made Death Knight, that filled the Death slot.
    When they made Monk I'd say that would be well within the domain of Life.
    Then they've made Demon Hunters which naturally fits within Disorder > Fel.

As you can see for yourself that leaves us with 3 of the outer domains that haven't been
    touched upon
    regarding newly added playable classes, namely Light, Shadow and Order.

Now... the only class I can think of right now that touches one of the outer domains and
    has has been talked about a lot throughout WoW history because there are
    people who want it to be made playable is Dark Ranger which would fit the domain of
    shadow like a glove
    and shadow seems to be a theme heavily touched upon for a good
    while now.

One of the other classes that people have talked a lot about is tinker, while I don't
    see this class belonging to one of the outer domains directly I could see this fitting within
    the center domain, namely reality. So if they'd add tinker that would mean
    they're adding a center domain class while halfway through (read: in the center of)
    the outer domains. I'm not a tinker enthusiast but it would make sense if you try to see
    things as a pattern.

Another pattern would be:

edgy class > silly class > edgy class > silly class
    AKA
    death knight (edgy) > monk (silly) > demon hunter (edgy) > tinker(?) (silly) > dark ranger(?) (edgy) > arcane domain class(?) (silly) > light class(?) (edgy)

TL;DR

If we assume Dark Ranger will fill the Shadow domain class slot. What classes do you
    believe they'd add for the remaining outer domains, namely Light (Holy) and Order (Arcane)?

Last edited by Thybalt; 2019-10-31 at 10:16 AM.

This is interesting topic, but let's not forget classes aren't the only thing added. Recently, we had the allied races and I would dare to say that when playing - at least - as a Void elf, utilizing void form as a racial ability, you use shadow magic to enhance any of your non magical abilities - say, Rogue, Warrior, Hunter becomes a shadow user. A similar thing goes on with the light and LF Draenei, perhaps even arcane and Nightborne. The in-game classes are a pretty wide concept, they don't neccessarily fit only one of these slots and their placement depends rather on the user. Obviously there are classes that do (Paladin, Mage), but most don't.

Since mechagnomes are titanic i would put tinkers into the order slot tbh.

I would consider monks as between life and order.

Blizzard dont add new classes based on some logic or to "fit an expansion". They add classes based on what they think the playerbase wants. Because at the end of the day, they only care about having the most subscribers possible.
    People want necromancers? Give them. They prefer dark rangers but it would require too much work to give necromancers and dark rangers in one expansion? Give them dark rangers. Tinkers would be very fun gameplay wise? Let's go for tinkers, people will love it. This is how I would proceed if I was Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
    The in-game classes are a pretty wide concept, they don't neccessarily fit only one of these slots and their placement depends rather on the user. Obviously there are classes that do (Paladin, Mage), but most don't.
    At least half of them do, actually.
    Fel: Warlock & Demon Hunter
    Light: Paladin
    Life: Druid
    Death: Death Knight
    Arcane: Mage

Leaving: Warrior, Hunter, Rogue (Shadow?), Monk, Shaman and Priest (which is a perfect mixture of Light and Shadow).

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    At least half of them do, actually.
    Fel: Warlock & Demon Hunter
    Light: Paladin
    Life: Druid
    Death: Death Knight
    Arcane: Mage

Leaving: Warrior, Hunter, Rogue (Shadow?), Monk, Shaman and Priest (which is a perfect mixture of Light and Shadow).
    Druid (at least balance) uses arcane spells and Warlock has multiple void-based ones. And I believe Death Knight's frost abilities are arcane based (since they are based on Liches who are arcane users)

7+ Year Old Account
    This is an interesting observation.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thybalt View Post
    If we assume Dark Ranger will fill the Shadow domain class slot. What classes do you
    believe they'd add for the remaining outer domains, namely Light (Holy) and Order (Arcane)?

1 - Even if Dark Ranger is a upcoming class, if they are Undercity's Dark Rangers, they aren't using Shadow (Void) magic. It's a sifferent type of darkness, more linked to the Death spectrum of that chart. Dark Magic, yes, but Blizzard made sure to separate the Shadow from the Death forces in that chart.

2 - Blizzard doesn't add class to met the criteria you'r presenting. They could add tinker, leaving a bunch of those forces without representation. Then they could very much add, let's say, Dragon Champion or whatever, again leaving the chart powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
    Druid (at least balance) uses arcane spells and Warlock has multiple void-based ones. And I believe Death Knight's frost abilities are arcane based (since they are based on Liches who are arcane users)
    The burning legion also uses shadow spells a lot - that does not mean they do not perfectly align with Fel. And the undead, who are frequent frost und shadow users, are still specifically listed on the chart in the death corner. Considering this, the warlock is clearly a fel class, the druid clearly a life/emerald dream class, the death knight clearly a necromantic class, at least by flavor. That is what I meant.

Tinker is totally in Order domain
    Machines are agents of Order

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    The burning legion also uses shadow spells a lot - that does not mean they do not perfectly align with Fel. And the undead, who are frequent frost und shadow users, are still specifically listed on the chart in the death corner. Considering this, the warlock is clearly a fel class, the druid clearly a life/emerald dream class, the death knight clearly a necromantic class, at least by flavor. That is what I meant.
    I get it. What I meant was that when we have a LF Draenei who makes non magic classes into slight light users (and the same with Void elves), getting a new light- or shadow- based class would just be a light/void overdosing. I can see getting a Dark ranger to partially fill the Death slot, and Tinkers to be a next "middle-ground" class.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    Tinker is totally in Order domain
    Machines are agents of Order
    I disagree. See Gan'arg race or Kin'garoth. These could clearly be classified as Tinkers, while they are demons, fel users and servant of the Burning Legion.

EDIT: Draenei artificiers and their Lightforged warframes are an example of light-based tinkers. I will even go as far as stating that Tinkers can be associated with any of these forces but Life.
    Last edited by Bogo; 2019-10-31 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    [/B]1 - Even if Dark Ranger is a upcoming class, if they are Undercity's Dark Rangers, they aren't using Shadow (Void) magic. It's a sifferent type of darkness, more linked to the Death spectrum of that chart. Dark Magic, yes, but Blizzard made sure to separate the Shadow from the Death forces in that chart.

2 - Blizzard doesn't add class to met the criteria you'r presenting. They could add tinker, leaving a bunch of those forces without representation. Then they could very much add, let's say, Dragon Champion or whatever, again leaving the chart powerless.
    You're right about that, maybe I should have used other terminology. By Dark Ranger I meant a Void/Shadow Alleria type ranger, not sure if we're going to see Sylvanas' Dark Rangers with where the plot is going unless it's going to be some Death Knight type deal where we get trained by her or Nathanos but then leave her for one of the playable factions. Could've been interesting if we had Dark Rangers on the Horde side and Void Rangers on the Alliance side though but Blizzard probably wouldn't make faction exclusive classes anymore.

Regarding your second point, so far they've all more or less met the criteria but only the future will point out if they'll stick to it. I did point out that Tinker could fit the center domain of reality though. Dragon based classes I find a bit awkward within the WoW universe to be fair, wouldn't know where to place those, might depend on the dragon's domain?
    Last edited by Thybalt; 2019-10-31 at 11:14 AM.

Gib timelord class now.
    S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Gib timelord class now.
    The timelord giveth and the timelord taketh away.

Shadow means void.

Do you think dark rangers use void magic?
    They don't.

Dark ranger is a soft death version of DK.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Shadow means void.

Do you think dark rangers use void magic?
    They don't.

Dark ranger is a soft death version of DK.
    Read comment #13, please.

OMG a new and interesting thread! Bravo!

OT: Where would Bards fit (prolly nowhere.... but humor me).....

Reality/Spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    OMG a new and interesting thread! Bravo!

OT: Where would Bards fit (prolly nowhere.... but humor me).....

Reality/Spirit?
    Bard could fit with air if they're only playing wind instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Thybalt View Post
    Read comment #13, please.
    Point is, shadow is void magic. It has nothing to do with death.
    I see people constantly claiming shadow is death Which is Just wrong.

The idea itself is hard to take seriously when you get the basics wrong.

Alleria is not anything, not a dark ranger not a void ranger, she's Just Alleria. Like many heavy lore figures she has a unique toolkit.

On topic, Dark Ranger is not a tangible idea. It has barely any unique powers to be a class with multiplex specs.
    It's literally a marksman hunter with deathy aesthetics.